A British Mans First Cruise - Enchantment of the Seas

This ship will show up again when it gets close enough to Norfolk to be in range.

Sudsy:)

That should be around 9 to 10 tomorrow night because it usually crosses the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at about 11pm.

We're not driving to the port until Monday so I feel the urge to go down to the beach tomorrow night and watch her sail by.:):D:)

Are you kidding me lol. The drawers were opening and the ship was creaking LOL. Someone who has cruised would know that happens. Why didn't she mention the hangars banging back and forth in the closet to say how dangerous it really was. We've seen the deck closed signs on almost all the north east departure cruises we've taken. It's the nature of the north atlantic. And those seas didn't look that bad-I've seen worse.

The funny part was when she talked about the ship tipping. Another poster said her daughter said the rolling, which is perfectly normal, lulled them to sleep. I wish I could comment on that ridiculous story. I also hope others who complete this cruise will contact the fox station and tell the truth and their experience.

Heck, this was such a huge story that it didn't even make the CC news.

The video player finally worked so I could watch the report.

First of all, it is Royal Car-IB-ee-an, not Royal Care-i-BEE-an.

Noone slept and noone (shouldn't it be nobody?) ate? All 2000 passengers? I seriuosly doubt it.

This is quite possibly the worst bit of "journalism" I have ever seen. That FOX affiliate should be completely embarrassed putting it out there for people to see.

How about you put yourself in their shoes for a minute. You've never been on a cruise before, you aren't getting what you signed up for, the ship is traveling on one engine through a major winter storm producing swells up to 20 feet. You are stuck inside on the ship for safety reasons. To top it all off, nobody is telling you anything. You have no idea what to expect. You've seen in the news pictures of the Costa Concordia on it's side, people are still missing.

Now put yourself in that position on a boat surrounded by a bunch of pompous jerks who have been on 300 cruises before snickering and telling them what losers they are for being concerned. I'd just about say I'd probably never want to cruise again either, not because of the experience, not because of the ship, not because of the crew, but because people like you think they own the ship.

There's this little thing called EMPATHY that more and more people are forgetting every day. Not to be confused with SYMPATHY. They're not asking for sympathy, they are simply asking that people understand the position they were in and not judge.

That said, we are going on our first cruise on the Enchantment leaving on Monday. Looking forward to it...

My first ever cruise was on a ship 525 ft in length, and weighing in at a whopping 16,000 tons. We hit 22 foot waves one evening, and while there were plenty staying in their cabins, most of the people were enjoying the ship. 20 foot waves on a ship the size of the Enchantment is nothing.

Call me cynical, but I think Mr and Mrs Grube's main motivation for going to the news was to bolster support for the lawsuit their lawyer is currently writing up.

Maybe they just need to stay in the safety of their nice little tiled screen porch

The video player finally worked so I could watch the report.

First of all, it is Royal Car-IB-ee-an, not Royal Care-i-BEE-an.

Noone slept and noone (shouldn't it be nobody?) ate? All 2000 passengers? I seriuosly doubt it.

This is quite possibly the worst bit of "journalism" I have ever seen. That FOX affiliate should be completely embarrassed putting it out there for people to see.

My first ever cruise was on a ship 525 ft in length, and weighing in at a whopping 16,000 tons. We hit 22 foot waves one evening, and while there were plenty staying in their cabins, most of the people were enjoying the ship. 20 foot waves on a ship the size of the Enchantment is nothing.

Call me cynical, but I think Mr and Mrs Grube's main motivation for going to the news was to bolster support for the lawsuit their lawyer is currently writing up.

Maybe they just need to stay in the safety of their nice little tiled screen porch

Maybe nuttz is their lawyer from the firm Dewey, Cheetum & Howe ?:)

Sailing the April 19th and been following this thread. Up until today wasn't concerned about my sailing since it was 2 months from the date the problem was first discovered. Mine is the 8 day Bermuda cruise and it's only going to 2 ports --- KingsWarf and Boston. Hope it doesn't turn into a 8 day sitting at the Boston Port !!

I always prefer St. Thomas over Labadee.

Just wondering, has this always been the itinerary. I'm on the May 17 sailing and we go to Newport instead of 2 days at Boston. It's very unlikely you'll sit at Boston and miss Nassau, there would be serious consequences for missing the only foreign port.

Agree about St. Thomas over Labadee.

Roy

Just wondering, has this always been the itinerary. I'm on the May 17 sailing and we go to Newport instead of 2 days at Boston. It's very unlikely you'll sit at Boston and miss Nassau, there would be serious consequences for missing the only foreign port.

Roy

Nassau is in the Bahamas, not Bermuda. I get the two confused myself sometimes.

Good afternoon from the EnOS. The Captain's Corner was this afternoon where he stated that the electric propulsion motor that was the cause of our problems is operating at 65% normal capacity even after the repairs that were performed in PC.

Currently, we have run into a cold front which has caused the temperatures to drop into the 60s with a brisk headwind and seas of maybe 10 feet. The seas are not supposed to get too much worse and tomorrow should be better albeit cooler.

We are due to pick up the pilot around 7 pm tomorrow night and arrive in Baltimore on time.

As Captain Gus says, bye bye for now.

Good afternoon from the EnOS. The Captain's Corner was this afternoon where he stated that the electric propulsion motor that was the cause of our problems is operating at 65% normal capacity even after the repairs that were performed in PC.

Currently, we have run into a cold front which has caused the temperatures to drop into the 60s with a brisk headwind and seas of maybe 10 feet. The seas are not supposed to get too much worse and tomorrow should be better albeit cooler.

We are due to pick up the pilot around 7 pm tomorrow night and arrive in Baltimore on time.

If they are picking up the pilot at 7PM I say the ship should show up on AIS about 3-4PM tomorrow near the NC/VA line. (Off of Elizabeth City)

Sudsy

Thanks for the info, Did the captain say what is going to have to be done for a final solution to this engine problem?

Hi everyone,

On the Roll Call for The Feb. 27th cruise, it was posted that the OBC will be $175. per cabin regardless of cabin category. Someone called RCI for this information. Keep in mind, sometimes answers differ from person to person at RCI.

It was also posted on another thread that a part is supposed to be flown into Baltimore so that additional repairs can be made to the propulsion motor on Monday in Baltimore. Again, this is third hand information, so it may or may not be accurate.

We are on track with our packing and are looking forward to boarding the sip on Monday.

Sandie

Did no one ask any followup questions to his statement about the 65%? Like did he think it would be fixed in Baltimore or what the plans were or anything? I would have been all over that. I know there had to be more to the Captains' Corner than that about the propulsion issue.

Hi everyone,

On the Roll Call for The Feb. 27th cruise, it was posted that the OBC will be $175. per cabin regardless of cabin category. Someone called RCI for this information. Keep in mind, sometimes answers differ from person to person at RCI.

It was also posted on another thread that a part is supposed to be flown into Baltimore so that additional repairs can be made to the propulsion motor on Monday in Baltimore. Again, this is third hand information, so it may or may not be accurate.

We are on track with our packing and are looking forward to boarding the sip on Monday.

Sandie

The problem with that is that if they thought it was going to be fixed in Baltimore they wouldn't have altered the itinerary for this next cruise.

Roy

The April 19th cruise is not going to Nassua which is in the Bahamas. It's only going to Kings Wharf in Bermuda and Boston. The April 19th cruise is the only one that Newport Rhode Island from dropped and this was done several months ago due to heavy whale migration that time of year. The May 17th cruise still includes NewPort.

What I would like to know is how long will they keep altering itineraries and giving out OBC's before they just decide to take the ship out of commission and fix the problem entirely?

My guess is that RCCL is waiting to see if the part that's being flown in will fix the problem before they're forced to make that decision.

What I would like to know is how long will they keep altering itineraries and giving out OBC's before they just decide to take the ship out of commission and fix the problem entirely?

They won't want to drydock until they have everything they need for the drydock that is supposed to happen in Dec and that includes the people to do the work. They certainly won't drydock twice in one year. What they may do is move it up by a few months. Not likely in the next month or two.

The repair of a propulsion motor is a job which can be accomplished without a dry dock, n'est-ce pas?

Hey there OSL. Good to see ya here. We just booked the Cruise to Nowhere out of Norfolk on Oct. 20, 2012. Carnival Glory. Got aft extended balcony for $1032.

Anyway, your right, there is no reason to "drydock" to work on a propulsion motor. As I understand it the Enchantment is scheduled for the same overhaul just done on another Vision class (can't remember which one) that will add a lot of features only found on the newer ships. It's quite a large undertaking and I can only imagine that all the pieces and parts are yet to be built/delivered to the site. It should be something when it's done being it is the longest of the class with its 80ft + extension that was done several years ago. I really like the Vision class and really enjoyed my 2 week on the Grandeur.

I am pretty sure that the techs are working hard to find out what is wrong exactly. It could be a number of things like a bad bearing or even system controller. We are talking about a great big AC electric motor not a diesel engine. :eek:

They still have the option to launch all of the lifeboats and tow the ship!;)

Sudsy:D

Thank you for your update.

Archived