From the Enchantment - Feb 27 cruise

Cuizer2

On the Pride they have cellular service with most major carriers. I have a smart phone (although it's a lot like a smart car, not really so smart!) and I have Verizon (hate em) service. I had service through my phone which I has a wifi hotspot. I called Verizon long before I went on the cruise and they (customer service)said something like "you have unlimited data service so it really doesn't matter how you use it. You should see no additional charges." I Just paid an extra $75 this month for that service. (I cut it off after 2 days at sea when I started getting messages that I had used $25, then $50.) BUT THE SERVICE WAS GOOD. I measured a square 1.5 Mbps (up & down) at one point. There's really a lot more to it but that's the jest!

Sudsy:)

It sounds as though the customer service rep you spoke with did not understand that you would be using the phone in a place where international roaming rates applied. All the documentation I've seen for cell phone usage at sea indicates that the rates are set by the carrier, according to their international roaming rates.

Technically, what is happening is that there is a satellite communication system on board the ship which is converted over to a cell phone signal, so that it will work with your phone. The one satellite provider contracts with each of the individual carriers and they pass the costs along to you in the form of international roaming rates.

I've never read any claim by any carrier that this service is offered for free in a monthly user package.

Some helpful links:

http://www.cellularatsea.com/

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?id=45

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/RCI_Connected.pdf

Theron

If we told you we'd have to ....well you know how that goes.:eek: Let's just say that it is a lot of good 'clean':rolleyes: adult fun and that what happens on Enchantment stays on Enchantment, unless of course it becomes part of the Cruise In Review video.:eek::eek: Do come and participate. A word to the wise...wear clean underwear.:p:D

If we told you we'd have to ....well you know how that goes.:eek: Let's just say that it is a lot of good 'clean':rolleyes: adult fun and that what happens on Enchantment stays on Enchantment, unless of course it becomes part of the Cruise In Review video.:eek::eek: Do come and participate. A word to the wise...wear clean underwear.:p:D

Heck, just remember to wear underwear, period!

What is the Quest? Even though I don't know what it is I want to do it!

I'm going to be a bit more informative than others have been regarding your question. Remember though I can't tell you TOO much!!:eek:

Think "adult scavenger hunt"!! Toss in quite a few nuts, shake well and spill them out on the floor. You'll see almost everything.....and some things you wish you hadn't seen!

Go, laugh, enjoy and oh yes, don't take any children with you. It is definitely an adult event!;)

Are you sure you're just not facing in the right direction? People have been known lose their sense of direction on cruise ships very easily. They also seem to forget how to work an elevator.:D

I've got an aft facing balcony. The record is the NCL Jade in Feb 2008. We must have backed at least 1/2 mile out of Puerto Vallarta before we started going forward again.

But because the Windjammer is forward and all the shops are on six (not four or five) I do find myself going in the wrong direction while on deck 10 (the sun deck) or going to the wrong deck when I want to go to the store or Guest Services.

Edited by Cuizer2

they dont need to fix or replace the computers..the biggest problem is the SATELLITE...it's a ship, sailing at sea..they are not equipped with 3G or 4G service nor do they have high speed internet

I call the ship regularly on my regular landline phone and often canNOT get thru...its all the same thing - the satellite

matter of fact..I'm fixin to call the ship right now! lets see how the connection is................

Does the ship actually come when you call it?

Where is Enchantment this morning? Have they reached their next port?

Antigua - and guess what, the ship is dead in - oops! - I mean we are not moving.

This probably wasn't the captain's best parking job ...

DSC_1924.jpg

But maintenance got right on it ...

IMG_2113.jpg

and worked their magic ...

Rainbow2.jpg

and the ship is almost as good as new ...

DSC_1984.jpg

As you know, English is their second or third language, so they didn't get the spelling right. But they can fix that in Baltimore.

All the above pictures were taken in Antigua. I'm on a free wi-fi about 300 feet from the end of the dock. The wi-fi is free, but you have to buy a drink. A can of Coke cost $3.50.

We are sailing in March. Thanks so much for the daily postings, I'm loving the read. Please recommend your favorite entertainment - like if anything is a "don't miss this show." Also, any hints about the port calls are welcome too. We are a younger side family 40's (I guess I can still call us younger) with two teenage boys, so looking for what might interest them.

Usually I just take in the production shows. However, tonight's magician is supposed to be something special, so I might go to that. I believe Quest is also tonight. Quest is adult oriented and it has been described as an adult scavenger hunt. Though I've never attended, nor do I plan too, Quest is supposed to be quite entertaining.

Here is a picture I took from the first production show with my travel camera, which is okay in dim light, but not as good as my DSLR ...

IMG_2089.jpg

Perhaps when the ship is "docked" in a port, you could post "we are in port", "we are docked in Antiga" or even simply "alls well, we are in our next port"!!!!:confused::rolleyes::p

You are taking all the fun out of my post. :)

Well, it is getting late and we have less than seven hours to make it back on board. I'm going to see if I can get some night time photographs of the ship. Be back at you later. :)

I have been following Cuizer2's posts and he does have a funny but funny sense of humor!...job well done Cuizer2...and keep the funny posts coming and enjoy your cruise....I know you are but I had to say it just the same!!!

Sorry for that, BUT I think we've got your number now so hopefully none of us will take your comments seriously from now on.

Keep right on doing "your thing". :eek: I guess i'm just too serious about the ship's problem and I will do my best to lighten up!

DSC_1781.jpg

DSC_1785.jpg

Cruizer2,

Wow, what an unusual depth of field you were able to achieve in this first, front-facing image of the Enchantment (just compare her seemingly short, blunt "snout" to her more accurate long, elegant bow in the second, side-ways view.) Do you have interchangeable lenses for your camera? I have also noticed other creative, interesting perspectives in some of the earlier pictures you have posted. You must either have very good equipment or a really good eye!

DSC_1781.jpg

DSC_1785.jpg

Cruizer2,

Wow, what an unusual depth of field you were able to achieve in this first, front-facing image of the Enchantment (just compare her seemingly short, blunt "snout" to her more accurate long, elegant bow in the second, side-ways view.) Do you have interchangeable lenses for your camera? I have also noticed other creative, interesting perspectives in some of the earlier pictures you have posted. You must either have very good equipment or a really good eye!

Looks like two completely different ships. Great pictures. Keep them coming.

Gwen :)