Double-sided tape to keep dress in place?

shipgeeks

Have any of you used double-sided tape, as I read that celebrities do, to keep a dress in its place? Does it work? Where do you get it? Is it a pain to use? Does double-side Scotch tape work on skin and fabric?

I got a fabulous cocktail dress with one drawback - only one strap. So it's half a strapless dress. Strapless dresses terrify me, esp as I love to dance. But I just love the dress, too, and the design does not lend itself to adding a strap. Should I tape?

I use double-sided tape all the time, but it's primarily to hold button-down shirts closed between the buttons. I HAVE used to to hold wrap around dresses closed, and once or twice I've used it to hold an article of clothing close to my body.

It's been my experience that the article of clothing has to naturally fit really close to the body, e.g., you can't "force" the fabric to a fit somewhere that it doesn't because the fabric tape isn't that strong. If you have a well fitted, low cut dress and don't want the bodice to fall away from your breast then it will work. If you are trying to stretch the fabric to cover yourself then it will not.

I buy my fabric tape at Steinmart, but you can buy it at lots of different dress shops. The brand I use is "Hollywood Fashion Tape". It doesn't damage fabric, or stick too much to skin. A friend who was a pageant girl used to use duct tape!

If you need tape to hold your dress in place, it doesn't fit....period! I would hate to have to worry about body parts "popping" out....it's truly not worth the effort!

If the clothing needs special adhesives to stay safely on your body, the clothing doesn't fit you! Don't pack it.

If you need tape to hold your dress in place, it doesn't fit....period! I would hate to have to worry about body parts "popping" out....it's truly not worth the effort!

If the clothing needs special adhesives to stay safely on your body, the clothing doesn't fit you! Don't pack it.

That's not true at all.

The tape is there to prevent any type of mishaps, not help you fit into clothes that doesn't fit you.

CB, fashion tape/double sided tape is used for all sorts of things other than taping a dress in place. It can be used to fix a hem, hide bra straps, close wrap skirts, help to hold up strapless tops, close the gaps on button front tops, help to secure a revealing neckline--especially on wrap type tops or dresses, keeps scarves in place, etc., etc. The number one reason I use it is to tape my neckline to my skin on my chest to keep my top from going down too low and to hold the wrap style neckline shut. I love to have it for emergency hems, too. My fashion tape comes in precut strips and is in a nice little container. You can buy online from various sites if you can't find in your local drugstore.

I disagree. Tape is really helpful in preventing wiggling. I find it especially helpful in the back to keep a dress (halter or strapless) from slipping down and showing my bra bra. I'm with Lexipoo - fashion tape is a safety precaution used to prevent 'wardrobe malfunctions.' Also, you don't tape clothes to your body (or at least I don't) - you tape your clothes to your bra to keep your bra from peeping out.

When my sister was much younger, her dance coach made the girls tape their costumes to their skin so they wouldn't wiggle around (these were little girls 10-12 who didn't wear bras yet). Well, my sister had an allergic reaction to the tape and it actually peeled her skin off in some places and left it red and bubbly in others. Be very careful about applying tape directly to your skin!

While they do make Fashion Tape just for this purpose, regular double-stick tape works, as well. I actually had to resort to Scotch double-stick tape the other day! :D

You can get some relatively inexpensive fashion tape from Target, but my favorite is by "Hollywood XX" or something like that. REALLY strong stuff!

Saw tape at Dillards this weekend. I think it is a good idea as an extra measure of precaution. They sure have been talking about J Lo and her little peak a boo. Was it or wasn't it?!?

That's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this post!

Idk, I don't think it was a nip slip..I personally didn't see anything.

I picked mine up at Old Navy and I use it on low necklines to make them just a tad bit higher. A lot of my dresses have tops that are the layered V top where one side overlaps the other... so I prefer to raise that overlap point just an inch or two since I've lost a lot of weight and now have a little bit of sag in the top half of my D cups.

I used the Hollywood Fashion Tape on my last cruise to secure my strapless bra to the back of my formal night dress with a pretty low back, so my bra wouldn't show, it worked great. I bought it at Joann's Fabric/Craft Store (a chain store in PA, not sure where else they have them). Now I use it all the time at home for work clothes.

I wouldn't cruise without it. I use it mostly to keep button down shirts in place, but also use it for low necklines. You can even keep a necklace in place if you have long hair and just attach it at the back base of your neck. This has many purposes.

Not true at all. "Period." Why be so negative to a simple question?

Shipgeeks, I was at Target yesterday and saw some of this tape in the bra department. I was looking for something to keep my bra straps from slipping down my shoulders, and the tape was right next to that product.

When my older daughter was doing dance competitions we used to buy the wig/toupee tape at the beauty supply stores and use it to hold those costumes in place to prevent wardrobe malfunctions in the middle of a dance. I think that was before dress manufacturers realized there was a market for it. When we were shopping for a formal for my younger daughter recently they had the Hollywood brand at the Jessica McClintock store and we bought some because she was nervous about wearing a strapless dress. I meant to pack it for my cruise but forgot, but I wanted it because strapless bras do not stay up well on me, I don't know if it's because I am very narrow in the rib cage or what, and also my strapless dresses always seem to fall down in back to below my bra line. I was hoping a little tape across the top of the bra and dress would help. Of course, since I forgot it, I didn't get a chance to find out, but I can assure you that my wanting to use it had NOTHING to do with my clothing being too tight. I agree with Lexi, why would someone even make that judgment if they don't know anything about the dress or size of the person asking the question?

Just an FYI - cb at sea doesn't respond a second time, kind of flies by and cr*ps like a bird and off she goes. So ignore some of the comments, although once in a great while I do agree with her, this time not.

The only thing I will mention about tape is to test it on your skin before using it. I found out the hard way that tape on my skin in delicate areas will take my skin off. Even bandaids, sensitive skin tape, you name it, all of it took my skin off. I had to have a medical procedure done a few years ago (not a big deal, like a cyst) and I ended up just using gauze tucked into my bra to protect the wound. It took longer for the tape wound to heal than the small incision. I know...TMI :rolleyes:

Just an FYI - cb at sea doesn't respond a second time, kind of flies by and cr*ps like a bird and off she goes. So ignore some of the comments, although once in a great while I do agree with her, this time not.

LOL - and only starts a thread when the boards are slow! :D

I've used it to be sure a strapless bra didn't peak up around the arm hole of a tank-style neckline. I'm also going to be using it to make sure a couple of deep v-neck cut necklines stay in place. Especially handy when you lean forward and the neckline falls away from your skin a bit, I like to keep it in place so I don't have to worry. I have seen it at places such as Lady Grace.

:rolleyes:

Must be nice for CB to be able to find clothes that fit perfectly with no bumps, bulges, or gaps or chance for malfunctions..Though she may not need fabric tape or shapewear, those of us who do are grateful for our CC community who can share their experiences and expertise.:) Love you all!

That wasn't very nice of me...sorry :p;):o

Don"t feel guilty, KS. Her post was totally uncalled for.

By the way, I just packed my fashion tape for a trip I'm taking this weekend. Although I use Hollywood Fashion Tape, I noticed that I had gotten this particular clear double sided fashion tape at Victoria's Secret. 36 strips. $10.00.

Thank you again for all the info, ladies. I feel very reassured to know that real people have tried it and continue to use it. It's on my shopping list now. The input on this board is invaluable, as well as interesting and inspirational.

Archived