Spring 2012 Season of DWTS Formal Gowns

Gosh, I dont know what it is this season, when you all do not like a dress, I love it and visa versa. I am not a fan of this dress, perhaps because I dont like heavy satin fabrics, perfer more flowly fabrics like georgette...

But I loved everything about the gown Cheryl had on, especailly the delicate lace on the bodice.

Off topic but the singing is wonderful and I think all the dancers are doing a great job dancing ballroom to classical... Dont you just love the singer Jackie?

Jackie Evancho from America's Got Talent. She was amazing, but it kinda freaks me out that the voice is coming from a 12 year old.

I think we have different opinions in what we personally like. You look more for dresses to dance in and you know what looks good on the floor. You would never ballroom in Brooke's dress, so no heavy satin for you. For me, heavy satin may hold in some lumps and bumps while I'm walking to the dining room.

I really like Kim's pink gown with the lace sleeves and the flowers on the skirt. For me I would have the sleeves on the shoulder instead of hanging.

I thought Brooke looked lovely. I really liked her gown and her hair is beautiful.

Jackie Evancho is from my area in Pa, and it really is hard to believe that she can sing like that. But I've seen her in person and it really is her voice. What I like is that her parents don't dress her like a tart. Whenever she's been on TV, she's dressed age appropriate.

Loved Cheryl's gown. One of the prettiest ever.

Donald Driver is just quietly doing very well. He's really surprised me. But I have to ask. Does Derek drive anyone else crazy? For some reason, I just cannot stand him.

Jackie Evancho is from my area in Pa, and it really is hard to believe that she can sing like that. But I've seen her in person and it really is her voice. What I like is that her parents don't dress her like a tart. Whenever she's been on TV, she's dressed age appropriate. Totally agree and approve!

Donald Driver is just quietly doing very well. He's really surprised me. But I have to ask. Does Derek drive anyone else crazy? For some reason, I just cannot stand him.

What an elegant dancer he has become!!

Totally agree about Jackie -- in fact, my aunt in a retirement home and I watched "AGT" via telephone, and I've purchased every one of her CD'S!! Love her PBS specials with David Foster -- have to suspend reality to hear that glorious voice coming from such a small, young person!!

As to Derek -- such a hamball! Constantly preening and vamping and outdancing his partner. In fact, I was so incensed at the underscoring of Maks and Melissa in THAT obvious show of favoritism -- I voted for them, on three phones and (thank you for reminding me, now on the web.) First time I've voted for anyone since Jackie on AGT!! Silver

I'm on the west coast so still watching the show. I'm a Derek fan... I loved the dance!

On subject, I like Brooke's dress but it would be heavy for cruise wear. I agree with the comment about the detail on the top being misplaced.

So......

My conspiracy theory self thinks that whoever chose the music set up a few of the dancers to stumble.

How come Mark & Catherine had to dance a rhumba to Canon in D, Max & Melissa had to do their paso to the Marriage of Figaro but Derek & Maria got a tempo-appropriate song? And there was another waltz in 4/4 time; I've already forgotten who.:confused::confused: And the Disney guy got to dance to Lady Gaga? "Bad Romance" may become a classic, but it's hardly classical just because it's played on the violin...

And the lead singer was off the beat during the Team Paso dance, had to pause to get back on the beat.

Derek doesn't bother me. I used to like him but then went over to the dark (Max) side.;)

Oh, I so love watching this show.:D

Interesting, I did not notice the lead singer was off beat in the Paso.

I did wonder why it is that some musicians were wearing headphones, while others were not.

No comments on Brookes dress tonight? I have my own dance lesson on Tuesdays so I never see the result show.

I liked Brooke's gown last night. Wish it wasn't black again, but it had just the right amount of bling and I loved the belt look.

Didn't care for Carrie Ann's dress style or fabric. Thanks go to Tom for getting her to stand up.

So......

My conspiracy theory self thinks that

Mine keeps wondering why Melissa is never in the bottom two?! I think the right person lost the dance off of the two choices. Thought the loser was too quick for a rumba.

I did wonder why it is that some musicians were wearing headphones, while others were not.

I'll have to pay closer attention to the band next week. Some may prefer the comfort or fit of larger headphones to the in the ear buds like the singers wear, but I don't know if they all wear them or not.

Hello all, I have been lurking on your thread but not posting till now , I am on the west coast so we get the show last here. But I do have to say that the dress Brooke wore last the black number with the glitter straps was one of the nicest gowns I have seen on her, it was elegant and the "girls" were not the main distraction.

My question is to the ladies on here that do dance (me, I don't) do you know how much input the dancers have themselves on how the gowns are designed ? I would imagine that the pros know exactly what styles would best suit them , but what about the stars ?

I am enjoying watching the show this year , everyone seems to be doing well. I sort of like the opera star, she seems genuine and not putting on airs, if you know what I mean. I thought that Derek and his partner really did well this past week, I wonder if they will keep it up. The latin guy must get tons of votes, by the crowd reaction every time he dances.

I think that Melissa is struggleing and I give her credit for even trying this after the back surgery she had, but is it worth re injuring yourself ??

I just think that they have a pretty good bunch of stars this time .

Cori

Welcome Cori. Feel free to join in, we try not to ruin the surprise for the West Coasters. Sometimes I even stay up to watch the West coast show if I miss the first one.

Thanks, I enjoy the show, but usually don't get around to checking he CC site till the next day and by then most of you have already posted. I have been reading the post and find it all interesting.

Cori

On the gown designs, this is only a guess!

But I think the pro's will tell the designers what theme they are trying to portray but I cant beleive that the pro is heavily involved in the actual construction of the gown....

How many times I have seen some of the stars a little on the heavy side in too short of a gown/dress, or something that is just not appealing for thier body shape. I thought they did a horrible job with Nancy Grace, while a great job with Gladys Knight.

The bottom line is the designers own thoes gowns and they do go up for sale after the season of the traveling DWTS is done. I am sure the designers are also thinking about the resale value. I have seen some of these gowns that are for sale in person and they are beat up pretty bad and way overpriced!!

But as to the pros... and teachers I have worked with... They are very knowledgable in gowns and it is quite typical for the teachers to be an active advisor when a lady is purchasing or having a gown made. Same for hair and makeup, they know it all!! Often they will speak with the hairdresser prior to a competition to tell them what they would like to see on the dancer. For me however, I tell my teachers this is hands off, these decisions on costumes, make up and hair are mine!

The cut of Brooke's dress is a good fit tonight, but on my tv the shade is too close to the colour of her tan and lacks contrast. I have no clue what the pile of beads or something sitting on her left shoulder is.

The cut of Brooke's dress is a good fit tonight, but on my tv the shade is too close to the colour of her tan and lacks contrast. I have no clue what the pile of beads or something sitting on her left shoulder is.

I would describe it as peach and I really like the style & color but not the thing on her shoulder. Minus the "thing" it's a dress I would wear.

Sherri:)

I found it ironic that Peta and Karina's "girls" were more prominent than Brooke's, for a refreshing change. I would love that dress in a deep wine color for me. I would love that waistline that Brooke has, too. Not even a Spanx could do it for me...:o

I thought the bling thing was interesting, but I would knock out DH's teeth if I wore it dancing with him.

I found it ironic that Peta and Karina's "girls" were more prominent than Brooke's, for a refreshing change.
I liked their dance with Donald the best of the trios.

I got my fill of prominent "girls" last night when I switched over to the Voice. Christina A had hers almost on full display while singing a duet of 'the prayer' with her finalist Chris Mann. One of my favourite Andre Botchelli songs and she ruined it for me.

Have you read about the controversy concerning costume tampering? The opera singer claims that someone tampered with her costume last night to make her dancing look bad. I have a hard time believing that.

I liked the style of Brooke's dress but not the color. I know the nude look is very in, but I'm just not a fan of it. But I thought she looked lovely.

Maria's gray dress was absolutely beautiful.

I thought Donald Driver's second dance was unfreaking fantastic. He was great !!!!

Loved the color and style of Chelsie's second gown. It looked almost tanzanite in color on my TV

Hi girls.....I leave for Rome tomorrow:D so I will miss the finals....

(it really is ok;))....tonite is a new thing...DOUBLE elimination....

so 2 couples are going home:eek:

I LOVE Donald too:D and I hope he is not going home!

Have a great time Lois! Maybe you can see the Italian version. My MIL watches it instead when it's shown on her Italian specialty tv channel.

Sent from my K080 using Tapatalk

LOL....not a bad idea but to be totally honest? I never think of

television when cruising (except maybe if I am cruising on

Superbowl Sunday;)) then I watch it:D but as for this?.....

Naaa....not going to worry about it;)

Oh, thanks for the good wishes though:)

Hey Lois,

Have a great cruise! I am looking forward to a report, we are doing a land vacation to Italy in Sept. This was planned actually as a result of loving our prior year Med cruise to Italy so much.

LOL, did not hear about the drama with Katherines costume tampering. You know when you do pull away costumes that is the risk you take. I however loved the color of her light green gown, and great make up job too...

I too agree, I loved Maria's grey dress. That is my favorite skirt style on these gowns.

Archived