Stewards had a clipboard on cart clearly showing who had not paid tips

picklebongo

this is assuming everyone leaves grats on. many people, however, remove them, as evidenced by reading this thread.

I think out of 300 posts, maybe two people said they removed them...far from "many"

I think out of 300 posts, maybe two people said they removed them...far from "many"

ok so I should have said evidenced by reading this or any of the many tipping threads as there is always a mention of the line to remove tips on the last night.

The cruisers who post on Cruise Critic are a very small % of the total, though. And of that very % who do cruise, read this board and have posted on the thread - I imagine there might be a few would prefer not to volunteer that they remove tips.

TRUE.

The only apparent decline that I have noticed over the years is the food quality and SERVICE.

I can handle those...everyone has their breaking point and mine is lack of music/entertainment. That is what finally put me over the edge.

It was subtle...and I didn't even realize how lacking it was until I cruised another line and I was like... :eek:"WOW!!"

Its been asked quite a few times in this thread, but ignored by the OP everytime ... Did you see your name on the list, next to your cabin number, or was it a list from the cruise before?

I'm so sorry, this is the first time I've seen this question because I always respond to what's asked. No my name wasn't on the list because I had not removed my tips.

I must admit I was tempted to remove tips for the cabin steward because our room was cleaned twice during the entire cruise, once during the morning and a turndown at night. We were frequently in the room, or at least one of us was, during the time he was working. He went off duty around noon.

Even though this wasn't his fault, he still didn't clean our room, so I didn't feel he was deserving of our money. But I left it on anyways because I was too lazy to do anything about it. We got fresh towels from another steward several times and we'd have huge piles on our bathroom floor.

Sorry, I misread your question. Yes, my name was on the actual list, but there was a plus sign in one of the columns.

Thanks I asked the same question several pages back. That makes the list something that has to do with the cruise you were on. People thought it may have been past guests.

being you're asking, i will be doing it so I can direct the daily $2 per day per person to the people i wish it to go to. if i can ever find i can do that through auto tip, i will be doing it that way.

else, i will be giving my tips directly to the people that serve me.

Please inform me if I am wrong.

You clearly state that you will be giving tips directly to the people that serve you.

Now here is my question.

How are you going to tip each server in the breakfast and lunch food serving line that gave you your food or replinished the tray from which you selected your food from?

You clearly state that you will be giving tips directly to the people that serve you.

Now here is my question.

How are you going to tip each server in the breakfast and lunch food serving line that gave you your food or replinished the tray from which you selected your food from?

He is not. This is just his way of tipping less than the suggested.

Now here is my question.

He is not. This is just his way of tipping less than the suggested.

Eggggzactlee. And some posters seem to thrive on stirring this particular pot. It's best not to encourage them, LOL;)

When I sailed on the Liberty two weeks ago, two of the stewards had clipboards on the fifth day clearly showing a computerized sheet as to who had NOT paid their tips. I tried to take a photo but I could not get my camera to zoom in enough to get a shot.

For folks who don't think they know, it's just not true.

What you saw was a list of people who had removed the prepaid gratuities, there is nothing else that can be tracked during the cruise as it is assumed that if you do not remove the prepaid gratuities that they are paid.

This information is nothing new, it has been reported and documented for years.

From John Heald's facebook profile:

John Heald

Name: Thomas R.R.

" When I sailed on the Liberty two weeks ago, two of the stewards had clipboards on the fifth day clearly showing a computerized sheet as to who had NOT paid their tips. I tried to take a photo but I could not get my camera to zoom in enough to get a shot. For folks who don't think they know, it's just not true"

This is very diusturbing. Why would Carnival let this happen. I always remove my tips preffering to tip in cash and only tip those who I know will get the money and who deserve it. To have a list of those passengers who remove tips is disgusting.

Hello Thomas R.R.

I put this on Facebook today because I know I have many wonderful facebook friends who read here and are Cruise Critic members and therefore I wanted to get this question taken care of. And let me say that this is 100% not true, again, 100% incorrect.

I have spoken this morning with the Senior Houskeeping Manager and he confirms that the State Room Stewards have no idea who has removed their tips and in fact the guests only receive printed confirmation of this on the last evening of the cruise.

The clipboard list you reffered to is a list of each guest in the cabins and who has what dinner seating, how they have asked for their beds to be configured and other information but not anything to do with gratuities. I would appreciate if someone could pass this on to the place where this is listed . Many thanks

Well, there ya go folks. And although Mr. JH has been known to disseminate erroneous info before, I tend to believe him on this. It makes sense.

I don't.

We cruise often with a couple who insist on paying tips with cash only. And every cruise, immediately after removing their tips, they get an inquiry from their steward and their dining room staff as to what happened with their service that they needed to remove their tips.

I don't.

We cruise often with a couple who insist on paying tips with cash only. And every cruise, immediately after removing their tips, they get an inquiry from their steward and their dining room staff as to what happened with their service that they needed to remove their tips.

We will only be able to speculate about that beloved list that pickle saw without a picture or other proof.

I don't doubt that the room stewards or waiters know that tips have been removed, that makes sense too, as I'm certain they would likely try to remedy whatever may have caused the guest to remove their tips. I will never understand why people do that, like they are going to be able to track down all those who provided amazing service to them & give them cash???

We have also cruised with people who remove their tips & SAY they are going to tip in cash. But in reality, I know that they had very little cash with them, so it is highly unlikely they tipped. :mad: Never cruised with them again.

We will only be able to speculate about that beloved list that pickle saw without a picture or other proof.

I don't doubt that the room stewards or waiters know that tips have been removed, that makes sense too, as I'm certain they would likely try to remedy whatever may have caused the guest to remove their tips. I will never understand why people do that, like they are going to be able to track down all those who provided amazing service to them & give them cash???

We have also cruised with people who remove their tips & SAY they are going to tip in cash. But in reality, I know that they had very little cash with them, so it is highly unlikely they tipped. :mad: Never cruised with them again.

I too don't think they are one and the same. I distinctly remember always being greeting by the steward with a clipboard, going over a couple of things, like dining and bed configuration, and then signing it.

Archived