Thomson Destiny's gone!?!?!

I'm going on it on June 1st - Adriatic Explorer, my local Thgomson's are waiting an e- mail to give me with my final invoice on Friday....I said "Oh thanks you wern't going to mention it until my final balance was due to be paid? thats what I call a fait accompli"! It looks like a nice ship but we booked a suite with a balcony and I'll be pretty pissed off this is not compatible....TA calling back later

sooooo angry just got back from travel agents they knew nothing of the changes until i told them ! When they rang Thompson it seems a different ship is classed as a minor change so we cant have a refund , no compensation and cannot re book a cabin should we want to until April 2nd . I will fight this as the holiday is for my 40th birthday and It has been spoilt

Sad to see the Destiny going out of service with Thomsons. I just booked a last minute cruise yesterday and we're sailing next week.

I can't see us booking the Majesty if there are no proper shows, its a big attraction for us.

Just been on the Thomson website. Just doing some pricing up. Thomson Destiny now isn't appearing on any search results for this summer or winter cruises!

Bearing in mind comments on other threads, looks like Thomson Majesty may begin sailing this May, as was mentioned on quite a lot of other articles and threads. Maybe we'll get some news tomorrow.

Anyone else able to book any Thomson Destiny cruises after its winter cruises. Its positioning cruise (Atlantic Sunrise) also gone! Nothing for May onwards? :confused:

My Mother and Father in law will be cruising on the Thomson Destiny This weekend, flyng to Tenerife on Friday 9th March, picking up the ship there, sailing for 2 weeks. :)

My Mother and Father in law will be cruising on the Thomson Destiny This weekend, flyng to Tenerife on Friday 9th March, picking up the ship there, sailing for 2 weeks. :)

The change over date is 4th may when Destiny (now Majesty) will begin the summer season cruising from Corfu - so your parents in law will be unaffected. Are they any good at intelligence gathering mummygilly? It would be interesting to hear of what's being said on the Destiny! ;)

sooooo angry just got back from travel agents they knew nothing of the changes until i told them ! When they rang Thompson it seems a different ship is classed as a minor change so we cant have a refund , no compensation and cannot re book a cabin should we want to until April 2nd . I will fight this as the holiday is for my 40th birthday and It has been spoilt

This is a good website, look for TUI on here, i have used it in past (when IE was replaced with Spirit, but was changing back half way through our cruise).

http://www.ceoemail.com/

interesting comparison between Destiny and Majesty.

On decks 2 and 3 Destiny has 531 cabins

On decks 3 and 4 Majesty has 391 cabins

So some cruisers are going to end up on higher decks where there appear

to be only 20 cabins of the same grade as the lower decks

so are 120 going to be upgraded for free :confused:

Of course the new deck plans might not be accurate.

My TA rung last evening to inform me of the change, we are sailing from Corfu in August. According to her, The Majesty is 10 years younger than the Destiny, the cabins are bigger and there are 5 restaurants to choose from, with no fixed dining. Thomson had changed due to the number of complanints about Destiny and wanted to offer their customers a better and newer ship.

Never having sailed on a Thomson ship, I don't know how true any of this is yet, letters are being sent to customers. I asked about cabins, as ours was prebooked last year, she couldn't comment yet, they were still in the process of finding out all the details themselves.

At first I was pleased as I was begining to doubt if a cruise on Destiny was a good idea, some comments said the cabins were like a caravan, and I hate caravans. I am not bothered about the entertainment side as I find on cruises you usually have to rush through your evening meal to secure a place in the lounges, where everyone is holding seats for friends and relatives, I really can't be bothered with it all to watch "tiller girls" and second rate singers and comediens and their versions of West End shows.

I also like the idea of open dining, as it gives you more freedom and you don't have to get stuck with people you would rather not sit with.

But I shall be comparing the deck plans to ensure our cabin is no smaller than Destiny, which sounded like a shoebox as it was.

No mention was made of compensation or refund, what a surprise, just have to see what happens, what a year for cruising !!

My TA rung last evening to inform me of the change, we are sailing from Corfu in August. According to her, The Majesty is 10 years younger than the Destiny, the cabins are bigger and there are 5 restaurants to choose from, with no fixed dining. Thomson had changed due to the number of complanints about Destiny and wanted to offer their customers a better and newer ship.

Never having sailed on a Thomson ship, I don't know how true any of this is yet, letters are being sent to customers. I asked about cabins, as ours was prebooked last year, she couldn't comment yet, they were still in the process of finding out all the details themselves.

At first I was pleased as I was begining to doubt if a cruise on Destiny was a good idea, some comments said the cabins were like a caravan, and I hate caravans. I am not bothered about the entertainment side as I find on cruises you usually have to rush through your evening meal to secure a place in the lounges, where everyone is holding seats for friends and relatives, I really can't be bothered with it all to watch "tiller girls" and second rate singers and comediens and their versions of West End shows.

I also like the idea of open dining, as it gives you more freedom and you don't have to get stuck with people you would rather not sit with.

But I shall be comparing the deck plans to ensure our cabin is no smaller than Destiny, which sounded like a shoebox as it was.

No mention was made of compensation or refund, what a surprise, just have to see what happens, what a year for cruising !!

It's the "party line" the whips have been out making sure the front line troops are on message

Not sure about your TA's claim about cabin sizes. I checked it out a while ago and I agree they are quoted as being about 120 sq feet in some reports I read on Majesty. I've done a conversion on that:

120 square feet = 11.15 square metres

Compare that with (also basic inside cabins):

Destiny: between 10 - 15 sq.m.

Celebration/Spirit: between 13 - 16 sq.m.

Dream: between 12 -13 sq.m.

So they may be bigger than some Destiny cabins which are 10sq m (are they singles?) but significantly less than those which are 15 sq m - or even 13 or 14 sq m.

And from the figures above less than the other Thomson ships.

Like Keith says I think the Whips have been busy!

It would appear fears about Lack Of Show teams on board, are confirmed by this notification

Lets hope The Majesty Singers are Good .

I think this and other cruise review sites are going to be watched like a hawk ,Thomson need really good reviews on this ship .

I think this and other cruise review sites are going to be watched like a hawk ,Thomson need really good reviews on this ship .

I agree with you there, and think they are more likely to get them if they don't antagonise people before they travel. If they let people choose whether they wanted to go on the new ship or not, their opionions would be better than having no choice or loosing money this way disgruntled customers are only going to look for faults.

After the disaster that was Thomson Dream's first sailings and this entertainment news, they are definitely going to have to get some excellent reviews for this ship otherwise they're going to have some very unhappy, and probably loyal, Thomson Cruises passengers.

interesting comparison between Destiny and Majesty.

On decks 2 and 3 Destiny has 531 cabins

On decks 3 and 4 Majesty has 391 cabins

So some cruisers are going to end up on higher decks where there appear

to be only 20 cabins of the same grade as the lower decks

so are 120 going to be upgraded for free :confused:

Of course the new deck plans might not be accurate.

Another interesting comparison

Top 2 passenger decks on Destiny - 32 cabins

Top 2 passenger decks on Majesty - 153 cabins

I think many customers are going to find that their replacement cabin will be on a higher deck and may well be larger.

I am expecting my letter from Thomson soon and apparently I should be able to select my replacement cabin from next Monday!

9.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------

Bring on Englebert Humpy :D ????

ps RR When are you back at work? your boardreader score might be near to the danger level, AND , you know what happens then :eek:

that reminds me will check tomorrow for the latest results (always do it on Friday )..........eerrrmm the boardreader I mean ;)

Stevie

Archived