"Senior" Ladies...

I generally wear a short cocktail dress. I have a royal blue, long sleeved dress from many years ago and I hope it still fits for my next cruise.

I want to get something else for the second formal night but won't buy anything until closer to the cruise. I have quite awhile to shop around and find the perfect dress.

As a side note I have worn long chiffon pants with sparkley tops.

I don't know if I qualify as "senior"..... :D what does that mean today?

In any case, I wear mostly LBD's..... little black cocktail dresses. For years, I always wore long dresses/gowns but no longer. I'm happier now in knee length and maybe once in a while tea length.

How old before you're senior?

I'm 58 and I wear cocktail dresses. I feel I look better in a shorter length dress and they pack in a little less space. I have several colored dresses plus a few black. I do select which ones to take based on my shoes, I only like to take one pair of formal heels.

Sounds like we're all thinking alike....Also not quite sure what "senior" means either, but know that despite how I feel inside, I still have to qualify age wise. So thankful to be an older lady, still in excellent health and able to go cruising on the Constellation in a few weeks.

Wear what makes you look and feel great! Aside from powder pinks and baby blues, "seniors" can wear anything! Sexy, slinky, fun.....doesn't really matter! No need to look like a dowager, just because of your age!

I know I'm eligible for the senior menu at Denny's, but not old enough for the discount tickets at the movie theatre :)

I do believe in dressing in age appropriate clothing (not just formal nights) I don't think you have to make choices that are "typical" clothing for senior citizens. I want to look a little more classic, not sexy but not over the hill, either. I definitely don't want to look like I chose my dress from prom department, then again I don't want to look mother of the bride or matronly either.

I'm getting too old for strapless, yet I don't want to look like I'm hiding my arms, does that make sense? I have a couple cap sleeve cocktail dresses that look just fine.

Some great examples are Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep and especially Helen Mirren, they have all aged with great class.

I know I'm eligible for the senior menu at Denny's, but not old enough for the discount tickets at the movie theatre :)

I do believe in dressing in age appropriate clothing (not just formal nights) I don't think you have to make choices that are "typical" clothing for senior citizens. I want to look a little more classic, not sexy but not over the hill, either. I definitely don't want to look like I chose my dress from prom department, then again I don't want to look mother of the bride or matronly either.

I'm getting too old for strapless, yet I don't want to look like I'm hiding my arms, does that make sense? I have a couple cap sleeve cocktail dresses that look just fine.

Some great examples are Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep and especially Helen Mirren, they have all aged with great class.

I totally agree....Love the bright colors and "stylish" clothes even though many of them are way too short for me. Thank goodness dress lengths are a little longer this summer and will at least cover the knobby knees. I'm trying to keep it age appropriate but stylish. Love the recent comment from the grandson "Nanny, you look beautiful". He will never know how good that made me feel just to know he noticed.

Hi - I'm 70 -- I have a long chiffon-y skirt in a great wine color. I bought 2 tops to go with it; one is a white lace with wine sash and the other is a matching wine top so it looks like a dress. These pieces are very light weight because they are chiffon. I bought them at Alfred Algelo's. They are very formal and look great with DH's tux. There are several different tops/skirt combinations that work very well for the more mature lady.

I also like the fact that I only have to have the skirt shortened, but I get two different looks with the 2 tops.

I have noticed that some cocktail dresses can be very heavy if they have lots of beading.

To each his/her own -- everybody just have a great cruise:)

Margee

I'm wearing a short dress w/wrap one night and a long black & white print dress with shrug the other. Not going glittery or formal. DH said he wasn't wearing a suit so we are both going more casual. Have seen it all on cruises. We will dress nice, just not formal. We have to for many functions though out the year so it's not a treat for us to dress formal.

I guess I'm a senior :-( several ahem years past the AARP letter. I'm bringing to Alaska, of course, the black chiffon pants and a sparkly top for one formal night, one cocktail dress for the other formal night and a couple dressier than work but not true cocktail dresses for dinners. Fortunately I have one pair of brocade like flats shot with gold threads that go with all the outfits...so one pair of "dressy" shoes.

I'm 68, but I don't think of myself as senior but I do get cheaper movie tickets on Mondays.:D I wear dressy black slacks and wear very dressy tops or tanks with a dressy cardigan and strappy sandals with bling on them. The heels are only two inches high. My ankles and knees can't take higher heels.

In the winter the dressy slacks are balck velvet. In summer they are a lighter, cooler fabric, but still black because tehe different tops I wear look good with black. My favorite summer dressy slacks are Anne Kline with a black grosgrain "tuxedo" stripe down the sides of each leg.

Wear what makes you look and feel great! Aside from powder pinks and baby blues, "seniors" can wear anything! Sexy, slinky, fun.....doesn't really matter! No need to look like a dowager, just because of your age!

:D I don't think I got the memo that said "seniors" can't wear powder pinks and baby blues. :eek: Why not? I don't happen to care for powder pink but I like soft blue.

Not admitting to being a "senior" but liking the perks!

I wore a mauve (eggplant coloured) maxi dress with cap flutter sleeves one night and a cocktail length cobalt blue dress another night. Because they were a good fit figure wise and "my colours"!

I don't think age matters as much as just finding something that suits you - colour and style wise and that you feel comfortable in.

The only problem I had when dress hunting was that most evening wear was cut lower than I felt comfortable wearing so had to adjust the plunging neck lines on both dresses a wee bit. Otherwise they were fine even though the women modeling them in the on line pictures were a lot younger and slimmer than I am!

Archived