My 1st Trip to the "Naughty" Room--FOS

It is apparent that people trying to sneak beverage on a cruise ship personally upsets you. I have never been to the naughty room to hear anyone raging over loosing their liquids. Everyone I know that has had a problem accept the fact that they were warned and the ship has every right to confiscate it if they so chose. No big deal. BTW the one time I got caught security knocked on the door. They asked if I had alcohol in my room I told them yes. They took my open bottle and my sealed bottle. I was doing a B2B. They returned the sealed bottle the last day of the second week.

The cabin steward still received his tip for both weeks.

Just curious -- once the alcohol made it to your cabin, how would security know about it? Was it out "in plain sight" as they say? Seems like the cabin steward would not want to endanger his/her tip by ratting out a passenger. Although, I do know that the housekeeping supervisors sometimes do "surprise inspections", to check up on the stewards. :eek:

Room stewards may jeopardize more than their tips over smuggling.

Cabins are checked by supervisors...if alcohol is out in sight and the steward doesn't report it and a super sees it they are in trouble. At least that was the case on the Freedom.

I had a conversation with my room steward who told me a friend of his was fired from RCI for the very reason stated above. A super came into the cabin he was cleaning and found a set up on the vanity area. The pax did nothing to hide their "stash"....and the room steward paid the price of not reporting it. This happened on a Spring Break cruise.

They can't win..if they snitch they risk losing their tips from disgruntled pax..if they don't they risk losing their jobs.

I doubt that the fact a steward lost his job over smuggled booze will make much of a difference to smugglers.:(

Cabins are checked by supervisors...if alcohol is out in sight and the steward doesn't report it and a super sees it they are in trouble. At least that was the case on the Freedom.

I had a conversation with my room steward who told me a friend of his was fired from RCI for the very reason stated above. A super came into the cabin he was cleaning and found a set up on the vanity area. The pax did nothing to hide their "stash"....and the room steward paid the price of not reporting it. This happened on a Spring Break cruise.

They can't win..if they snitch they risk losing their tips from disgruntled pax..if they don't they risk losing their jobs.

I doubt that the fact a steward lost his job over smuggled booze will make much of a difference to smugglers.:(

That's pretty sad for the stewards. Definitely puts a hole in the "it doesn't affect anybody else" defense.

Just curious -- once the alcohol made it to your cabin, how would security know about it? Was it out "in plain sight" as they say? Seems like the cabin steward would not want to endanger his/her tip by ratting out a passenger. Although, I do know that the housekeeping supervisors sometimes do "surprise inspections", to check up on the stewards. :eek:

I am not sure. It had to be my cabin attendant or someone who stocks the fridge. The liquor was kept inside a closed cabinet door.

You could argue that no one should be opening the doors but the security did know I had an open bottle and a sealed bottle. They appeared day 5 of my first leg. Obviously a snitch but rules are rules and I did get caught breaking one. Not really important to me who turned me in I was in the wrong.

BTW on my next cruise on the Freedom doing a B2B I enjoyed my Jim Beam and coke every evening in my room. Also I had a much larger bar bill. Go figure.

Wow, aren't you being a bit judgemental and taking a giant leap by suggesting that smugglers don't care if a stewart lost his job? Although I haven't ever personally felt the need to smuggle booze, I don't think it is my job nor right to judge those who do. I am sure that both you and I have done something in our lives that a smuggler would't approve of!!!

Now this is something I would take objection to simply because I would see that as an intrution into my PRIVATE SPACE and my cabin is nothing less during a cruise.

When we cruise we are basically renting a cabin. The cruiseline you sail on owns the cabin and has the right to maintain that cabin even while you occupy it.

You can always try and refuse to allow your cabin steward to come in for the duration. Pax could then set up their smuggled bars and not have to worry about anyone seeing it. but refusing to allow the room steward into the cabin will probably raise a red flag.

We cruise knowing that our cabin will be entered by our room steward..anyone who might be helping him/her and possibly other members of the crew, like a supervisor.

We aren't hiding anything so that fact doesn't bother us at all.

Now this is something I would take objection to simply because I would see that as an intrution into my PRIVATE SPACE and my cabin is nothing less during a cruise.

I would think there's something in the contract that states that they have the right to enter your cabin if they wish. After all it really is their cabin; you're just renting it, much like an apartment or hotel room.

But many of us have brought water on board; the best way is to buy a case that is shrink wrapped all together in plastic. One quick look on xray and its obvious they are all wrapped together and that will tell them it has not likely been tampered with, and they can send your bag on its way.

That can be overcome quite easily, I assure you;) In 13 cruises we have never been to the naughty room or been denied water or coke (in plastic market bags, not checked) and its not for lack of contraban. Now go ahead, flame me, persecute me ( I see cakes about)...but I love a challenge so must rise to the occasion. Sorry booz police.

Yes, and contrary to what "some" people on here believe, it's not to rat out px. It's quality control only. Suppose you bought a glass of wine at Vintages, brought it to your room and set it on the counter while you went out.....how could they acuse you of smuggling and how could they know, or not??? I have done same with contraban and with bought wine. This whole concept is ludicrous.

I would still take offense to this simply because the ship may belong to them but while I am "renting" it is none of their business what I have standing around my cabin. I can do what ever I like in there as long as I am not disturbing anyone, not doing any damage and it isn't illegal. The rest is none of their business end of story!

Besides they have already screen everything before it comes on board - if they missed it then that is their problem. Once I am inside that cabin it is my private space and my private belongings are none of their business..... imagine what that could lead tooo thong inspection?!? :LOL:

That can be overcome quite easily, I assure you;) In 13 cruises we have never been to the naughty room or been denied water or coke (in plastic market bags, not checked) and its not for lack of contraban. Now go ahead, flame me, persecute me ( I see cakes about)...but I love a challenge so must rise to the occasion. Sorry booz police.

There's always the first time as in my case. I too had brought beverages of both kinds on board on previous cruises without any problems. But for whatever reason on this cruise one of my bags was detained. (I'm the OP if you want all the details.) One beach bag with the exact same containers (12-pk diet coke and 3 water bottles) was delivered to our room and one was detained. I know that the detained bag was not loaded on the same carrier into the port terminal. I had to wait for the porter to take that last bag to make sure all the luggage was taken for the shuttle. So perhaps security was more careful scanning that particular pallet. My friend's detained bag had a shrink-wrapped 6-pk of water. As I posted our beverages/bags were handed over once we showed security that it was non-alcoholic. Not perturbed at all at having to go to the naughty room (or in this case naughty stairwells, hallways, etc.), it was a new and informative shipboard experience.

If you can't afford (or not willing to buy) the booze on the ship, you probably shouldn't go on a cruise. I have always been very happy with the free beverages on RCL and since we alway book a concierge level suite we get free booze in the concierge lounge every day. Even with that, we typically spend $200 on fu fu drinks over the 7 days. Its just part of the vacation budget. I do however understand people who bring bottled water. It is expensive on the ship and if you have a family you can go through a lot of water!

My daughter just came back from the same cruise and she had her Listerine bottle taken out of her suitcase (it contained Listerine) and they didn't touch the diet sodas in the same suitcase. They just took it out. She noticed it was gone when she got her luggage.

I always take sodas. I only drink them in the room. When we dock in old San Juan I always walk down the street to the CVS and buy more sodas. They never say anything.

My daughter just came back from the same cruise and she had her Listerine bottle taken out of her suitcase (it contained Listerine) and they didn't touch the diet sodas in the same suitcase. They just took it out. She noticed it was gone when she got her luggage.

I always take sodas. I only drink them in the room. When we dock in old San Juan I always walk down the street to the CVS and buy more sodas. They never say anything.

I was told by the cabin steward and security personnel that I was the only one who could open the bag. Never witnessed any security people opening bags just other pax.

If you can't afford (or not willing to buy) the booze on the ship, you probably shouldn't go on a cruise. I have always been very happy with the free beverages on RCL and since we alway book a concierge level suite we get free booze in the concierge lounge every day. Even with that, we typically spend $200 on fu fu drinks over the 7 days. Its just part of the vacation budget. I do however understand people who bring bottled water. It is expensive on the ship and if you have a family you can go through a lot of water!

Contradict much ?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk HD

I doubt that the fact a steward lost his job over smuggled booze will make much of a difference to smugglers.

If we smuggled and IF we left it in plain view and IF the steward saw it I would suspect they would say something like "I would appreciate it if you could keep it out of sight so my supervisor does not see it" and then I would give them a tip for the "tip" and at least it would be WIN-WIN for the two of us.

But if we smuggled I assume we could find a secure out of sight place. Perhaps with a 4-digit code. Our upcoming cruise is too long to even consider smuggling enough so we will instead take a flask to load each morning at a bar with straight shots for consumption in evening.

By the way my poll for Convenience vs. Cost is gone so earlier posted link in this thread is not valid. Still trying to find out the reason.

So true -

We were in the cabin (Monarch – Spring Break) and a supervisor came by with the room attendant and told us they were doing a random room check. Not sure if they were specifically looking for alcohol ( we had none) , or just to see if the cabin was properly cleaned ( which it was) .

M

Is it just me or is there somewhat of a double standard going on here?

I’ll never understand why it seems that those who want to bring some alcohol "can't afford the cruise" but those who want to bring some water are smart for saving money. ???

M

Archived