My 1st Trip to the "Naughty" Room--FOS

We dont cruise during spring break, I think they are on high alert code red around this time of year!:eek:

Surprisingly for this time of year, it was a very sedate cruise. Very, very few young children/teenagers and I didn't notice any rowdy groups around the ship. Perhaps a week early for spring breakers.

...And who put you at the "naughty room"?????.....You and your action did!!.....You will report to detention every day after school until you pay your debt to society (and Crown and Anchor).......Now go and see Sister Mary Ruinyourcruise and she will punish you more......

....oh that's right....you are an adult. too bad they don't treat you as such.......sorry:(

He asked if there were liquids in that bag and I replied yes--water bottles and soda cans. I opened the bag, handed him the 2 water bottles, he checked the cap seal, and handed them back to me. He was not interested in the soda carton (in plain sight) nor the toiletries bags. I zipped everything up and headed to the elevators.

I wonder if there is any difference in cans vs. bottles that cause a bag to be flagged. It sounds like maybe cans are less suspicious... maybe harder to tamper with/refill, so they don't bother with them as much? I'd like to take some caffeine free diet soda on my cruise next week. Last year I took a six-pack of plastic bottles with no problem, but maybe cans are a better bet.

Deck #1? Before the ship got underway or after.

I'm gonna have to wander down there and see this circus for myself. Sounds entertaining.

Anyone stops me I'm just wandering checking out the ship and got lost.

Deck 1 opposite Medical Facilities. I didn't go until after we were underway. As I said luggage to our hallway was very late getting there so I didn't even know it was being held until after sail away. My friend didn't go until after early seating to retrieve his bag.

I wonder if there is any difference in cans vs. bottles that cause a bag to be flagged. It sounds like maybe cans are less suspicious... maybe harder to tamper with/refill, so they don't bother with them as much?

I agree with this. You know a poptop can hasn't been refilled. And I'm sure they're thinking a water bottle might be refilled with vodka.

I got sent to the "naughty room" on my second cruise. I packed all my dive equipment in one bag. I thought someone had stolen it as I have very good and very expensive equipment. It never dawned on me that I had also packed my dive knife (very similar to Rambo's) My bad! They just had me remove it and held it for me till I went diving and then I returned it to security for the remainder of the cruise. Ever since then I dive without a knife.

Has anyone ever taken juice on board? I have an 18 pk of cranberry, cranapple, & crangrape in plastic bottles and it is shrink wrapped, will they allow that? I have to drink cranberry daily and they don't have it anymore in the WJ for breakfast.

can someone please explain to me why there is so much effort taken to sneak beverages on board? I mean is the bottle water or coke that serious? I could maybe see liquor if you're a huge drinker.

Like others have said, some people prefer their own water and sodas that aren't available on the ship. But booze is the biggie. The cruise ships make a lot of money selling alcohol and don't want to lose that revenue by allowing people to bring their own. Plus, in theory, it's a way to "regulate" alcohol consumption (i.e. cut people off when they're stumbling over themselves drunk).

I think bottled water is a big deal because it can be emptied and replaced with something else. Even shrink wrap isn't a sign that it hasn't been tampered with. The best smuggling job I've ever seen was a girl on one of my Carnival cruises who took an 8 pack of water and emptied three of them, replaced them with water, then managed to re-seal the caps and shrink wrapped the whole thing. It looked straight off the shelf! You couldn't tell it was tampered with at all. I, however, am too lazy for anything like this. I'd rather just buy my booze then deal with that hassle!

Like others have said, some people prefer their own water and sodas that aren't available on the ship. But booze is the biggie. The cruise ships make a lot of money selling alcohol and don't want to lose that revenue by allowing people to bring their own. Plus, in theory, it's a way to "regulate" alcohol consumption (i.e. cut people off when they're stumbling over themselves drunk).

I think bottled water is a big deal because it can be emptied and replaced with something else. Even shrink wrap isn't a sign that it hasn't been tampered with. The best smuggling job I've ever seen was a girl on one of my Carnival cruises who took an 8 pack of water and emptied three of them, replaced them with water, then managed to re-seal the caps and shrink wrapped the whole thing. It looked straight off the shelf! You couldn't tell it was tampered with at all. I, however, am too lazy for anything like this. I'd rather just buy my booze then deal with that hassle!

Wait a minute. She emptied the water bottles and replaced them with water?

My job just got in RUM RUNNERS, I was leaving work yesterday, turned my head, and was like "What The...For Real" it wasn't the Rum Runner brand, but a different one w/ a carabeaner hook...One of my co workers was like "you pee in those", they were all one size, with tons of colors and designs, and a picture of a mountain climber stopping for a drink squeezing the bag.

I myself won't be doing the rum runner smuggling, i'd rather just pay full price for a drink, or wait to get off at port to go to a cheapo bar and drink thier...But with all the discussion about Rum Runners here I figured i'd share this.

Of all our cruises we never had any desire to smuggle booze. We budget for our vacations and willing to spend the money when we do. If we couldn't, then perhaps we should plan a different kind of vacation that is less expensive. Things we used to do when we were first starting out.

But I would like to know, even if you are successful in smuggling, do you not have to continue to hide it during the cruise? I've heard stories about having staterooms searched? Room attendants turning you in?

Seems to me I would rather enjoy my cruise/vacation rather than play the part of a schoolboy always on the sneak.

It all seems kind of juvenile.

Of all our cruises we never had any desire to smuggle booze. We budget for our vacations and willing to spend the money when we do. If we couldn't, then perhaps we should plan a different kind of vacation that is less expensive. Things we used to do when we were first starting out.

But I would like to know, even if you are successful in smuggling, do you not have to continue to hide it during the cruise? I've heard stories about having staterooms searched? Room attendants turning you in?

Seems to me I would rather enjoy my cruise/vacation rather than play the part of a schoolboy always on the sneak.

It all seems kind of juvenile.

LOL all the ppl put those bags in their safe and leave their $$$/CCs exposed haha...Your right, why worry your whole vacation about being caught, and turned in, I think i'm bringing enough money for my 10 day, I would just walk aimlessly around the ship usually, and hunt for chicks on my previous cruises...

LOL all the ppl put those bags in their safe and leave their $$$/CCs exposed haha...Your right, why worry your whole vacation about being caught, and turned in, I think i'm bringing enough money for my 10 day, I would just walk aimlessly around the ship usually, and hunt for chicks on my previous cruises...

So that's what people do? Lock the booze in their safe??

I was on the same sailing and also got called down for water in my bag. We packed a shrink wrapped 6 pack of water in my wife's and my suitcases, yet they only held my bag. I went down there and showed the man that it was only sealed water bottles. He told me, "ok no problem" and sent me on my way. But I also saw some very irate individuals down there.

No need to lock the booze in the safe. But we do keep it out of sight. Certainly wouldn't want to get the cabin attendant in trouble. Most likely they are supposed to report violations if they observe liquor in the stateroom. But I don't think that they would logically want to do that with a gratuity expected at the end of the trip. But why leave it out in the open where they would have that dilemma? I believe a Bar Service person also enters your cabin to check on mini-fridge items. That person might not hesitate to report a violation.

I'm not sure why pax would punish their cabin steward for removing or reporting smuggled alcohol??

The pax would be the one who broke the rules and the cabin stewards could be in trouble for not reporting smuggled alcohol.

Seems a bit selfish for someone to punish a cabin steward, by withholding gratuities, when it is the pax who broke the rules in the first place.

I'm not sure why pax would punish their cabin steward for removing or reporting smuggled alcohol??

The pax would be the one who broke the rules and the cabin stewards could be in trouble for not reporting smuggled alcohol.

Seems a bit selfish for someone to punish a cabin steward, by withholding gratuities, when it is the pax who broke the rules in the first place.[/quote]

How logical and understanding would most of these pax be in that situation? There were plenty of irate pax in security blaming RCI for their policies.

Oh I'm sure that pax would be blaming everyone but themselves for RCIs alcohol policies.

What these people don't get is that a ship is just as vulnerable as a plane is. If pax can smuggle alcohol aboard why can't someone smuggle a highly flammable liquid onboard as well?

If we think that terrorists won't attack a ship we should only remember the Achille Lauro and Leon Klinghoffer..

I'm sure pax who are carrying benign things like water are miffed..but they can thank their fellow pax who smuggle and not RCI who has had to implement those kind of security measures.:(

And evidently the "irate" pax don't read the policies of RCI before they book. Ignorance is bliss?

Yes, we do keep it in the safe. Never heard of room being searched except for suspicion of drugs OR if there was probable cause such as intoxicated behavior inconsistent with ship purchases. Never heard either of attendant turning anyone in but suppose could happen if they were really rude or causing a lot of extra work. I've seen many videos on YouTube of people giving tour of their cabin and the vanity stocked with more bottles than most bars.

Smuggling would not cross my mind if I could buy one bottle of Brandy (per week and with appropriate fee) to take back to cabin and enjoy on balcony in sleepwear just before retiring. Room service is impossibly slow. We've considered bringing a flask to fill at bar from drinks purchased by the glass to take back to cabin but not sure if that would be allowed or how sneaky we would have to be even doing that.

If the water or soda issue, can be a TSA security thing, that some times they over look or allow water and sodas if sealed. I can think of flammable liquids becoming Molotov cocktails by some crazed person or terrorists, who hate anything American.

I have said this before, for water go to Target or Walmart, and buy a Brita water filter bottle for about $8, and leave the large bottles of water at home. Each replaceable filter is good for around 250 gallons.

There was no naughty room on our last cruise (that I'm aware of) so this is interesting and amusing info. I think we brought a case of bottled water on board, too. Already have a Spring Break 2013 cruise with our high schoolers planned so it's good to have the info to be prepared.

My question is are there caffeine, alcohol, and sugar free drinks...besides water :)... available on board? I guess there's also decaf coffee and herb teas but I don't like hot drinks especially in warm climates. As a diabetic I avoid caffeine and sugar. I don't mind buying the little wine and beer (not much into the hard stuff) I'll drink on board. Are they not obligated by law to provide accommodation for those that can prove some sort of medical necessity? I understand CF Diet Coke is not a necessity but you know what I mean. :) Seems like it's just good customer service, too.

Sailing Friday on the NOS.....:)

Any freedback on carryring on a 6-8 pack of water??? (besides the hassle of lugging it.)

I may pick it up on the way to the pier..will have in plastic bag from where ever..

Thanks

We just got off the NOS and they were taking all liquids even water. We had our bag held by security and we couldn't figure out why they took it since we didn't try to smuggle on anything. They accused us of having alcohol in it and insisted on searching it. Of course, they found nothing. The only thing we could figure out is that we had a bottle of sun screen. Oh, and they didn't apologize either.

Archived