Yappy little "princess" dog

Ours doesn't bark, but 'sings' (read howls) upon request. 125 pounds of loveable, "throw the stick", "where's my stick", happy to meet everyone dog.

Sleeps with us when we are home (takes up most of our king sized bed now). BUT he stays at home when we go on vacation!

NappieTime_sm.jpg.86b7af9e920aded4145c32f4b1acac7a.jpg

A floating kennel? Really? As always things are blown out of proportion here. This is a perfect example of another non issue made big on cruise critic. How many people have actually seen a dog on a ship? Or a service animal in a restaurant or building in every day life for that matter. Very rarely.

I have. Luckily, I've never experienced one that yaps constantly, but yes, I've seen them on cruise ships, several times.

If the ship was at full capacity it would be interesting to see how RCI would handle a "service" dog being next to a cabin that housed someone who was allergic to dogs.

Amazing just how many "special needs" people there are out there. Notes for special drinks...foods...service animals..etc..and it must be difficult for RCI to have to try and accomodate everyone.

Sad that there are people out there who can get MDs to write notes about nearly anything so they can have what they want, and not necessarily need, onboard a ship. Must make it even more difficult for pax who are actually in medical need of something.

Shame on those pax and shame on their MDs for writing notes for nonsense just because they can.:(

I once saw statistics for my children's former elementary school - 25 percent of them were considered "special needs" - at least on paper.

Ours doesn't bark, but 'sings' (read howls) upon request. 125 pounds of loveable, "throw the stick", "where's my stick", happy to meet everyone dog.

Sleeps with us when we are home (takes up most of our king sized bed now). BUT he stays at home when we go on vacation!

Very cute!!

Have you looked for a cage free kennel for him? If he is as active as you say I bet he would have a blast!!!

When we go places I have no worries about Bentley in a kennel, bored and miserable. Heck he has more fun then we do on some of our trips with family :eek:

Very cute!!

Have you looked for a cage free kennel for him? If he is as active as you say I bet he would have a blast!!!

When we go places I have no worries about Bentley in a kennel, bored and miserable. Heck he has more fun then we do on some of our trips with family :eek:

Oh yes, regulars at the doggie day care! The biggest issue now is that he's used to all the activity so when he doesn't go - he (pardon the pun) hounds me with his balls! (he's a dumpster dog - took him and his littermates out of a dumpster!!)

When we go on vacation we have a neighborhood girl that comes to the house and stays with him. (We also have another rescue who was REALLY abused in her previous life and does not do well even in a cage free kennel.)

We LOVE our dogs and have seen many real service dogs. Any yappy dog would not cut the muster for a service dog - or a therapy dog for that matter! Curises and pets don't really mix. Have you every tried to travel with a dog? Some hotels are NOT understanding about pets in their rooms!! Go camping, visit friends, but just don't go cruising. Simle as that!

Oh yes, regulars at the doggie day care! The biggest issue now is that he's used to all the activity so when he doesn't go - he (pardon the pun) hounds me with his balls! (he's a dumpster dog - took him and his littermates out of a dumpster!!)

When we go on vacation we have a neighborhood girl that comes to the house and stays with him. (We also have another rescue who was REALLY abused in her previous life and does not do well even in a cage free kennel.)

We LOVE our dogs and have seen many real service dogs. Any yappy dog would not cut the muster for a service dog - or a therapy dog for that matter! Curises and pets don't really mix. Have you every tried to travel with a dog? Some hotels are NOT understanding about pets in their rooms!! Go camping, visit friends, but just don't go cruising. Simle as that!

That is the big point isn't it? If your dog is a pet and you love them soooo much .. why bring them on a cruise?! They will be a nervous wreck and miserable. If you love your pet think about their idea of fun before your own. If your disability allows you some freedoms without the dog you may want to think about this as well. Granted many service dogs are on job 24/7 and the owner needs them at all times such as seeing eye dogs and seizure detecting dogs. However if your service dog is for emotional support or some other disability that you can get by for 7 days without the dog really think about doing so. It isn't about the regulations or the "but I can bring him" debate. Its a matter of the dog's welfare and them being miserable on the cruise.

That is the big point isn't it? If your dog is a pet and you love them soooo much .. why bring them on a cruise?! They will be a nervous wreck and miserable. If you love your pet think about their idea of fun before your own. If your disability allows you some freedoms without the dog you may want to think about this as well. Granted many service dogs are on job 24/7 and the owner needs them at all times such as seeing eye dogs and seizure detecting dogs. However if your service dog is for emotional support or some other disability that you can get by for 7 days without the dog really think about doing so. It isn't about the regulations or the "but I can bring him" debate. Its a matter of the dog's welfare and them being miserable on the cruise.

I agree with this. I know my DD's service dog only tolerates cruises. She does not enjoy them. My DH tries to wake up around 3AM and take her for walks/jogs out on deck while I stay with DD, but some nights he is to tired to do this for her. We pack chew toys for in the room. We try to see she has down time each day but it's hard to schedule some days as she is working 24/7.

What do you do if your service dog gets sea sick???? Can't work if he/she is sick and giving medication would render the dog un-workable!

I would think that if the dog was certified, they'd have passed the "won't get sick in the car" test, but I don't get sick in the car, but can be a bit queasy if the seas are high!

I was on this cruise and only had to experience the sight of the dog eating off the owner's plate once, but had to hear the yapping almost everywhere. I think almost all the people who filled out the comment cards brought up the situation. It did make for some great jokes, but overall, it was repulsive and truly disgusting, both to watch and to hear.

I agree with this. I know my DD's service dog only tolerates cruises. She does not enjoy them. My DH tries to wake up around 3AM and take her for walks/jogs out on deck while I stay with DD, but some nights he is to tired to do this for her. We pack chew toys for in the room. We try to see she has down time each day but it's hard to schedule some days as she is working 24/7.

I feel for you guys. My Bentley is spot on with manners and training and has gone through a lot of the same training as service dogs do. He would be stir crazy nuts on lead all week without down time to chase his ball or just be a dog.

The way you can tell the good partnerships from the less responsible ones...

You take your DD service dog because you HAVE to, not because you WANT to :D

OK I was ON this cruise and it was a yappy little dog...spoke with several crew members (including the Concierge) and apparently the "mother" of the dog had Alziehmers and got a doc note...trust me, everyone we spoke with that had encountered the woman did not see a shred of Alziehmers (ourselves included..I am no doctor and don't pretend to be so it is speculation)..but I can tell you that having a dog in the dining areas where food was being served was NOT appetizing...it killed us because they are so all about the Purell and keepign things clean but yet a long haired yappy dog (she had barrettes and hair clips in the fur) could be in there? Also one day I ran into the Windjammer from the pool for a quick iced tea to bring back and I was stopped and told I was not appropriately dressed...I had a bikini top with a coverup from my waist down....OK even if I WAS inappropriatedly dressed (it was 2pm??) but a DOG can be in the Windjammer during breakfast and in the dining room? WTH? something is off...

I feel for you guys. My Bentley is spot on with manners and training and has gone through a lot of the same training as service dogs do. He would be stir crazy nuts on lead all week without down time to chase his ball or just be a dog.

The way you can tell the good partnerships from the less responsible ones...

You take your DD service dog because you HAVE to, not because you WANT to :D

Taking a dog on vacation is not one of the things I look forward to doing, but it gives my DD independence so it is necessary for us. All the paperwork, time, effort is worth it. She has independence and can do things without her parents always by her side.

AS this thread is getting into the real service dog topics...

If you do have a service dog on your ship, please do not approach it, run up and pet it, call it or even long eye contact with the dog. These dogs have a job to do. They are not performing at their best on a cruise and do not need to be distracted in any way.

If you want, you can ask the owner if you can approach and pet the dog but do not do so without asking first.

@pmfan ... I wish I had been on your cruise :D my two teenage boys (17,15), who both are educated in dog training and more specific clicker training would have LOVED to have a buddy on their morning jogs! They could have come by and kidnapped your dog for a nice long run while your hubby was being lazy :D

We are going on a cruise in 2 months with my 82 year old father.....who happens to have Alzheimers!! He is not 'severe', but will have someone with him all the time to make sure he is ok. A DOG can not do that!

I know that Alzheimers people get rattled by change in routine, a cruise is quite a change of routine, but again, a DOG will not change that. If you want the dog for the 'stability factor', her travelling partner can provide that better than the dog!

I'm not buying it!!!

We are going on a cruise in 2 months with my 82 year old father.....who happens to have Alzheimers!! He is not 'severe', but will have someone with him all the time to make sure he is ok. A DOG can not do that!

I know that Alzheimers people get rattled by change in routine, a cruise is quite a change of routine, but again, a DOG will not change that. If you want the dog for the 'stability factor', her travelling partner can provide that better than the dog!

I'm not buying it!!!

Got to tell ya~ your wrong. There are Alzheimers service dogs and they do INCREDIBLE things in order to keep their owner as independent for as long as possible! Dogs are amazing creatures. I have seen shows where these types of service dogs can lead a confused owner home when they can't remember how to get there on their own.

OK I was ON this cruise and it was a yappy little dog...spoke with several crew members (including the Concierge) and apparently the "mother" of the dog had Alziehmers and got a doc note...trust me, everyone we spoke with that had encountered the woman did not see a shred of Alziehmers (ourselves included..I am no doctor and don't pretend to be so it is speculation)..but I can tell you that having a dog in the dining areas where food was being served was NOT appetizing...it killed us because they are so all about the Purell and keepign things clean but yet a long haired yappy dog (she had barrettes and hair clips in the fur) could be in there? Also one day I ran into the Windjammer from the pool for a quick iced tea to bring back and I was stopped and told I was not appropriately dressed...I had a bikini top with a coverup from my waist down....OK even if I WAS inappropriatedly dressed (it was 2pm??) but a DOG can be in the Windjammer during breakfast and in the dining room? WTH? something is off...

It's funny how many different stories we all were told by various RC employees, as to what type of service this dog performed. We were told by the head waiter it was used to detect low blood sugar. Guest relations told us it was for social anxiety. I read elsewhere on this thread it was for blood pressure. Now I read you were told the woman had Alziehmers (baloney:mad:). Then why did I see her and the dog roaming the ship alone at times?

I really would like to send a letter or email of complaint to RC. Does anyone have an address and who it should be sent to?

AS this thread is getting into the real service dog topics...

If you do have a service dog on your ship, please do not approach it, run up and pet it, call it or even long eye contact with the dog. These dogs have a job to do. They are not performing at their best on a cruise and do not need to be distracted in any way.

If you want, you can ask the owner if you can approach and pet the dog but do not do so without asking first.

@pmfan ... I wish I had been on your cruise :D my two teenage boys (17,15), who both are educated in dog training and more specific clicker training would have LOVED to have a buddy on their morning jogs! They could have come by and kidnapped your dog for a nice long run while your hubby was being lazy :D

Absolutely....but this goes for cruises and on land! Service dogs WORK when they are out. You do NOT pet (many are trained to be protect when their owner appears to be threatened), you do NOT make long eye contact (again a sign of aggression), you do NOT say "here doggie doggie" or offer food!! They are HIGHTLY trained and very expensive!

That said, they ARE dogs - they can't work all the time anymore than we can. They require down time - to play and to relax. They server a very valuable role to those that need them. It distresses me to think that folk would lie about something as important as this....almost as much as some ablebodied person parking in a handicapped spot!! (grrrr)

This is one of the most fascinating threads I've read in a long time. I am amazed that this dog was allowed to disturb so many people. Obviously, the staff just didn't know what to do about it.

I know that if that dog showed up within 3 feet of my husband or I, ESPECIALLY if we were eating, there'd be h*ll to pay!

Don't get me wrong about dogs in general. Here's a picture of my Grandoggy:

1181306418_Gingerangeldog.jpg.b8ae3c6e787c889a06f0c8cd7748499b.jpg

It's funny how many different stories we all were told by various RC employees, as to what type of service this dog performed. We were told by the head waiter it was used to detect low blood sugar. Guest relations told us it was for social anxiety. I read elsewhere on this thread it was for blood pressure. Now I read you were told the woman had Alziehmers (baloney:mad:). Then why did I see her and the dog roaming the ship alone at times?

I really would like to send a letter of complaint to RC. Does anyone have an address and who it should be addressed to?

Your letter will fall on deaf ears. RC has no choice but to allow a service dog on board and they are not allowed to ask why the dog is needed or about its service dog training. That is the law.

If you want to write anyone, write Washington DC. There needs to be a federal regulation/certification on service dogs. This would ensure they were properly trained, tested and are safe to be around the public in situations such as the ship. This would help those who need their service dog get the proper respect they deserve and at the same time weed out the "pets".

Got to tell ya~ your wrong. There are Alzheimers service dogs and they do INCREDIBLE things in order to keep their owner as independent for as long as possible! Dogs are amazing creatures. I have seen shows where these types of service dogs can lead a confused owner home when they can't remember how to get there on their own.

REALLY?!?!? Did not know that! Might be time to investigate!

We watch Dogs 101 on Animal Planet and have seen numerous stories where dogs have saved people's lives. The pictures of dogs after the Japanese tsunami and the Marine's dog that slept on the floor of the chapel during his funeral just break my heart!!!

They truly are AMAZING creatures!!!

I know that if that dog showed up within 3 feet of my husband or I, ESPECIALLY if we were eating, there'd be h*ll to pay!

tee-hee: My husband would have seen if the dog knew how to swim!!

(ok, just kidding - really - no flaming, but I just couldn't help myself!!)

REALLY?!?!? Did not know that! Might be time to investigate!

We watch Dogs 101 on Animal Planet and have seen numerous stories where dogs have saved people's lives. The pictures of dogs after the Japanese tsunami and the Marine's dog that slept on the floor of the chapel during his funeral just break my heart!!!

They truly are AMAZING creatures!!!

The service dogs that amaze me the most (they are all amazing though) are the seizure detecting dogs. They are so tuned in to their owner that they can detect subtle changes in the brain's chemistry to know several minutes before hand that a seizure is about to happen. They literally read their owners minds!

Not only did this yappy little dog stir up a lot of controversy on board, it has now stirred up Cruise Critic LOL! How many hundreds of posts can one little dog generate? lol

Reading some of the responses have now become almost comical. I would by no means want to sleep in the cabin next door to the thing but I find it amusing that one little dog ruined so many peoples cruise.

My oh my. Evidently ships arent as big as I thought if you cant away from one little yappy dog. lol.

Ive seen people at the first of a cruise to never see them again yet everyone on the ship seems to have ran into this dog numerous times. The little thing must have gotten around! :cool:

Archived