Yappy little "princess" dog

I guess you needed to vent. AFAIK in order to bring a dog on board certain qualifying criteria has to be met. Making a judgement as to whether the paperwork was fudged is erroneous. JMO.

After running across a service cat and someones service dog that was allowed to be: petted, fed off the table while using a seat, held under the glass of a buffet to eat and generally just a yippy little PITA I'm going to have to say I very much disagree.

Service critters now adays seem to be like handicapped parking placards, seems almost any doctor will write you for one should you merely ask.

Actually yes it does say something about service dogs. They can NOT ask for certification.

Pregnant women aren't protected by ADA. Thats irrelevant.

And remember the ADA does not apply on foreign flaged cruise ships

Again, a wooden box is put out on an outside deck somewhere usually out of the main area and is filled with various fillings. The dogs owner can even request specifically what fillings they put in there or what the dog is use to doing its business on :)

here is an example I found.

willieb_potty_box.jpg

Thanks! I learn something new every day ;) Curiousity satisfied!

Hey Ryano,

You're wrong and you should update yourself on the Federal rulings about service dogs over the last few years.

1. Service dogs are defined by the government as dogs that have been specifically trained to perform a specific task.

2. Although businesses are not allowed to ask about a person's disability, they are allowed to ask what tasks any animal performs.

3. Emotional support dogs are not recognized as an animal that does a specific task and are specifically not covered by any provision of the ADA law.

RCCL should stop the abuse of the ADA law and stop allowing these service dog frauds on-board the ships.

The Bud dogs that are trained to get a beer and bring it to you by the pool are more of a service dog than these emotonal support dogs.

Please get back to me after you complete some research.

We were also on the NOS 3/3 cruise. We were first made aware of the dog while waiting to embark. Heard the barking and turned around to see a woman and her husband with this little dog ( I believe it was a Shiz-tsu (sp)) in a stroller. I commented to my husband that this barking dog better not be near our cabin. It was on our floor,in a promenade cabin deck 7, but about 15 cabins down from ours. While we didn't hear it, those cabins surrounding theirs did.:eek: They also kept the stroller parked in the hallway when the dog wasn't being pushed around the ship.

Unfortunately, our luck ran out when we arrived in the MDR that night. We were seated at our table when we heard the barking. Here comes the stroller and it parks right next to our dining table:mad:. Just when we thought it couldn't get worse, out comes the leash and this woman lets the dog out to walk around the table:(. She even let it sit on her lap and eat from her plate! Now we are disgusted and our friend goes out to talk to the Head Waiter. He even shows him pictures he took of the dog walking around the floor. Our complaints fell on deaf ears.

The next morning we went down to Guest Services with our complaints.

They told us there was nothing they could do because the dog was a service dog for "Social Anxiety". They had a note from her doctor, whom I'm sure was related:rolleyes:.

It seems everywhere we were on this cruise so was the dog.

Heard the yapping, here it comes into the Windjammer. Heard the yapping, it's two rows behind us at the ice show. Heard the yapping, it's at the Promenade Cafe, where the owner gets up and tells the dog, " Mommy will be right back, I have to get a cup of tea".

Come on, I seriously doubt this was any kind of service dog. Like the original poster pointed out, there were times others were walking it around.

And by the way, the dog's name was RALPHIE.

I too was on this cruise and their cabin, an inside on deck 7, was just down the hall from ours, about five doors. At all times of the day, if you walked past, the dog would be barking, yapping actually. This was no service dog. Once, in the hall, the dog was in its' stroller, which, BTW, was always parked in the hall, and it jumped at me. The owner laughed. In the MDR, they had second seating. I was told my a very reliable source who was at a table next to the owner, that the dog sat on the owners lap and the owner fed it from her plate. She also let it loose in the MDR and was eating crumbs from the rug and generally bothering the other diners. True service dogs do not do that and are not trained that way. The Matre'd (sic) refused to do anything about the dogs antics. Allegedly, the owner had a doctor's certification that the dog was to control the owners blood pressure. Otherwise, great cruise. And, yes, it was the talk of the ship.

Hey Bill sorry I didn't get a chance to say good-bye. Looked for you on the last sea day. Always glad to meet a fellow CD grad:). Maybe our paths will meet again. Take care.

Burt

I there still a Philly group?

We were also on the NOS 3/3 cruise. We were first made aware of the dog while waiting to embark. Heard the barking and turned around to see a woman and her husband with this little dog ( I believe it was a Shiz-tsu (sp)) in a stroller. I commented to my husband that this barking dog better not be near our cabin. It was on our floor,in a promenade cabin deck 7, but about 15 cabins down from ours. While we didn't hear it, those cabins surrounding theirs did.:eek: They also kept the stroller parked in the hallway when the dog wasn't being pushed around the ship.

Unfortunately, our luck ran out when we arrived in the MDR that night. We were seated at our table when we heard the barking. Here comes the stroller and it parks right next to our dining table:mad:. Just when we thought it couldn't get worse, out comes the leash and this woman lets the dog out to walk around the table:(. She even let it sit on her lap and eat from her plate! Now we are disgusted and our friend goes out to talk to the Head Waiter. He even shows him pictures he took of the dog walking around the floor. Our complaints fell on deaf ears.

They told us there was nothing they could do because the dog was a service dog for "Social Anxiety". They had a note from her doctor, whom I'm sure was related:rolleyes:.

Heard the yapping, here it comes into the Windjammer. Heard the yapping, it's two rows behind us at the ice show. Heard the yapping, it's at the Promenade Cafe, where the owner gets up and tells the dog, " Mommy will be right back, I have to get a cup of tea".

Come on, I seriously doubt this was any kind of service dog. Like the original poster pointed out, there were times others were walking it around.

I thought "RALPHIE" was a Princess based on the way (s)he was groomed and treated. I guess he was a Prince. Now he'll need a service animal of his own for the social anxiety caused by me identifying him as a female LOL Forgot to complain about him on the survey:mad: but I bet others did!;)

Hey Ryano,

You're wrong and you should update yourself on the Federal rulings about service dogs over the last few years.

1. Service dogs are defined by the government as dogs that have been specifically trained to perform a specific task.

2. Although businesses are not allowed to ask about a person's disability, they are allowed to ask what tasks any animal performs.

3. Emotional support dogs are not recognized as an animal that does a specific task and are specifically not covered by any provision of the ADA law.

RCCL should stop the abuse of the ADA law and stop allowing these service dog frauds on-board the ships.

The Bud dogs that are trained to get a beer and bring it to you by the pool are more of a service dog than these emotonal support dogs.

Why the need to be rude? Such is life on cruise critic though.

You can list all the rules you want, companies won't question people for fear of being sued. Without being too specific I work for a company that deals with the public. We were directed that unless the animal is causing a ruckus to allow them in the building. Because no matter how much training people receive this is a sensitive subject and there is always the chance someone asks something they shouldn't or aren't allowed to.

I believe that the people that would bring a non service animal are few. And those that lie will get bit in the backside by karma someday.

And this is why I wear very high and pointy stilleto heels. Send that little dust mop near my table...

Now I've heard it all. A person with social anxiety is ok'd by a Doctor to be confined on board a ship for 4 sea days (in a small promande cabin overlooking the hustle and bustle down below) and let off in foriegn ports with thousands of people because they're being protected by a toy dog?? I know a person with social anxiety issues. No way would they get on a large ship full of people with no way out. Her wedding was also very small because of anxiety issues. Maybe she is seeing the wrong Doctor - all she needs is a dog with a stroller. (Suprised the stroller didn't get "kicked" to the end of the hall way. That is a safety issue. If muster was called, people would be tripping over it. And if the ship lost power people could trip over it and get hurt.) Just glad they were not on deck 9.

I love most dogs, but the little yappy ones raise my blood pressure faster than most things. Would have to say if it lunged at me it would probably have learned to fly down the passage way, kind of like a pinball.....

....and good point on the social anxiety, my son has asperger's, there is no way he would have handled a cruise except on low weeks which is when we chose to go, same went for places like Disney, the less people the better.....

Bet I could have found a way to get my Max on the ship. He'd have loved it. Monster Dog knew how to reel in attention and never make a sound. Unusual for a 130 pound timberwolf hybrid, but he'd do it every time I took him anywhere in public.

Sadly, won't get the chance. Had to let him go two weeks ago. Cancer took him at the all too young age of 8. :(

Sorry to hear about your loss. I

I love most dogs, but the little yappy ones raise my blood pressure faster than most things. Would have to say if it lunged at me it would probably have learned to fly down the passage way, kind of like a pinball.....

....and good point on the social anxiety, my son has asperger's, there is no way he would have handled a cruise except on low weeks which is when we chose to go, same went for places like Disney, the less people the better.....

I have worked with children (up through 8th grade) with Asperger's. I am glad that you take him places on low weeks when he is better able to handle the situations presented. I'm sure even then it takes a lot of preparation and scripting. Too much stimulation can be very overwhelming. By eliminating some of it and preparing him for what to expect, I'm sure your son is able to enjoy himself "like everybody else". You are to be commended.:)

Yep, Social Anxiety, anyone that is diagnosed with social anxiety, the very LAST PLACE they should be is on a CRUISE SHIP in the middle of the ocean, trapped, with no place to go. And going to islands in the middle of the ocean, this would be enough to stress out anyone that has problems with social anxiety.

As with anything, there is always that one or two that will push it to the limits for their own personal satisfaction, and just about ruin it for the ones that DO TRULY NEED IT!

Hey Beachchik,

I don't think stating the facts and correcting the record is being rude. What is rude is when people bring their pets along with the assumed "service animal" is a trump card that allows them to take their dog anywhere. That just isn't true. I hope this exchange provides RCCL with a little backbone and they stop people from bringing these pets onboard.

Let me chime in also. I was also on this cruise with 6 of my friends. One night we ate at Portifinos and had the t-bone steak for dinner. I was so tempted to bring back the bone after I ate that steak and stick it in that carriage in the hallway just to piss off the owner. The only reason I did not was because of all the cameras on the ship. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and cats and most animals but this furry creature was annoying to everyone it came in contact with. Bob

yea, it was always a challenge, the teachers didn't want him out of school, but I am a firm believer that learning continues outside the classroom, and waiting for vacation time didn't work for him. We always chose carefully and he enjoyed family time that way. He is 21 now, and studying at a college a 9.5 hour drive away from home. Now that was a major leap of faith on his part, but he is doing well and studying to become a fish and wildlife manager, pretty fitting choice for him.

Hi Micdee! My mom was at guest relations with you when you were complaining about the dog, she said she asked you about your cruise critic lanyard. Anyway, they were just telling me about the dog at dinner and it sounds like it was really terrible!

Hey Ryano,

Did I say anything about them NOT being to ask what service the dog performed? NO I did NOT! I said they are not allowed to ask for certification. I'm sorry your reading comprehension is lacking so bad that you couldn't see that. Open mouth insert foot and YOU get back to ME once YOU do some more research.

FWIW I TOO believe people like this are abusing the law and don't agree with it. They are the ones that give REAL service dogs a bad name!

Archived