What One Piece of Advice

As others have already posted before me, things may go wrong, let it roll off your shoulders. Have fun, don't sweat the small stuff!! Oh, if you get a chance, take a shower in the spa.The showers are much bigger and some have several shower heads.

Relax, your on vacation don't sweat the small stuff.

Talk to people you don't know. I've made great friends on cruises.

Do something you would not normally do, hey you'll never see these people again.

Go with the flow and get involved in some of what's going on. Most of the people I talked to that didn't like cruising just sat around and didn't do anything with the rest of the cruisers. Sign up for the belly flop contest or something.

Be reasonable, this is not the Ritz or an all-inclusive. The food is good, but it's not the Four Seasons and yes they will try to get you to buy stuff, for what Carnival is they are very good, you just have to understand what Carnival is not and keep that in mind.

Relax, your on vacation don't sweat the small stuff.

Talk to people you don't know. I've made great friends on cruises.

Do something you would not normally do, hey you'll never see these people again.

Go with the flow and get involved in some of what's going on. Most of the people I talked to that didn't like cruising just sat around and didn't do anything with the rest of the cruisers. Sign up for the belly flop contest or something.

Be reasonable, this is not the Ritz or an all-inclusive. The food is good, but it's not the Four Seasons and yes they will try to get you to buy stuff, for what Carnival is they are very good, you just have to understand what Carnival is not and keep that in mind.

Well said :)

Agree with everything said previously. Even though I did lots of research and asked questions on these boards before our first cruise, I had no idea that they gave you beach towels you could take in to port for the beach. So, I packed 4 beach towels of our own (we are a family of 4) that took up lots of room in the suitcases. Never again!

Here's what I tell first time cruisers when they ask me about expectations:

• Make sure that you have all of the necessary documentation with you for checking in - your fun pass, passport, alternative photo ID.
  • Don't sweat the lines that you may encounter. Be patient and your turn will come quickly.
  • If you see someone who looks as if they are in a pissy mood, smile at them and watch their frown turn into a smile!
  • Remember to always say "please" and "thank you" whenever a crew member does something for you. It shows courtesy and that you appreciate what they are doing for you!
  • Don't sweat the small stuff that happens on a cruise - don't get involved in someone else's drama!
  • If you do not like what you ordered for your meal, it is within your right to send it back and order something else. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
  • A cruise is the best way to try foods that you normally would not have at home. We always tell our friends to take advantage of the free sushi nightly, as well as ordering as many appetizers/entrees/desserts you want!
  • Take advantage of the complimentary Room Service! One of our favorite ways to wind down after a long night out is to order in Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches from room service - they come with THE BEST potato chips we've ever had!
  • Do something out of the box - go dancing with your spouse, take in a comedy show, walk around the ship and admire the stars, cuddle up and watch a movie on the big screen (if on a Conquest class ship)...
  • If you're not going ashore when the ship pulls into port, treat the day as if you are at sea - enjoy the quietness of the pool, have a leisurely lunch on the lido deck, do an activity you would never think of doing at home, and by all means have a spa day!
  • Remember to tip generously those who go above and beyond - your cabin steward and head waiters especially!
  • Remember to take any contests in stride - it's not about winning the ship on a stick… it's about HAVING FUN!!!

The following is simply my opinion which, when combined with a dollar will get me a senior cup of coffee at McDonalds.

The one consideration that can completely change a cruise is "ATTITUDE".

I believe in the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: "If you think it will go wrong, then it WILL go wrong; however, if you believe life is good, it WILL be.

How to make a good cruise a GREAT cruise:

--Don't gripe about long lines, pass the time by studying fellow cruisers.

--Don't just go to dinner, attend a DINNER PARTY.

--Don't just visit a port, begin an ADVENTURE.

--When the cruise line screws up, put it in perspective, then respond appropriately, not emotionally.

--Don't dwell on the steak that was tough, remember the dessert that excited you.

--When you order a drink, clink glasses (in toast) to your spouse or a fellow traveler.

--You have your own life memorized- stop and listen to what others have to say.

--If you find that you're not "clicking" with someone, consider that you still have 2,000 other people to meet. (and 800 crew)

--Small town people do this easily...say "HI" to everyone you meet in the hallway.

--Elevators are the best places to chat (next to martini bars).

--Never forget to say, "THANK YOU" to cruise employees for ANY service they provide.

--Respect fellow cruisers whether it's giving up a poolside chair or wearing what's appropriate to the MDR.

--When you see a person taking a picture of their spouse/friend, offer to take the picture of them together.

--Just before you leave your cabin, look at yourself in the mirror...and smile.(This one might surprise you)

--Take many things in life seriously, but don't include yourself.

_

This is the best list I've ever read, I would like to copy it and keep it in my cruising stuff. I wish we could print in the Fun Times everyday.

Thank you

Linda

My addition would be to experience pulling in to port. Don't be in your cabin getting it together or sleeping and don't stand around waiting to be first off the ship. Be on deck or on your balcony or near a clear window. Some ports welcome you and you shouldn't miss it. Take pictures or just take it all in. We love pulling in to Bermuda, mind you King's Wharf isn't as fun as Hamilton or St. Georges.

Also, be smart and watch your sun exposure, especially your first day or when sailing in winter months. Nothing can put a damper on a vacation faster than a nasty burn.

Try something new on the menu you might not otherwise try. You just might be surprised. ;)

Now ain't that the truth? I've tried more different things on a cruise ship because I could always go back to something I knew I liked if I didn't like what I tried. It's a good time to broaden your horizons while still having something to fall back on if needed.

Be sure to order room service. I had never done it and finally did it on our first cruise. Explore the ship on your own. Find out some things that other cruisers take for granted. You might be surprised. Wave at the people on shore when you sail away. Take TONS of pictures. If you don't like the picture delete it. You can't take too many pictures. Take some pictures of the people who serve you. It's nice to remember the nice things that were done for you. You are one of the fortunate people to be able to vacation this way. Don't ever take it for granted. You worked hard to get here, so make the most of it no matter what you do on board or in port.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

Make sure your travel documents are in your hand, not in your luggage on cruise day!! :eek:

Make sure the documents contain the right name as your identification. If sailing with others children make sure you have a letter stating it is fine to do so, as well as giving you the right to make medical decisions.

While everything else is going on strong-take one day, if only one day, and just RELAX. Make no plans, highlite nothing, don't sign up to do anything, if only for an afternoon. If it's an 7-8 day cruise, give your self a whole day off :)

The following is simply my opinion which, when combined with a dollar will get me a senior cup of coffee at McDonalds.

The one consideration that can completely change a cruise is "ATTITUDE".

I believe in the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: "If you think it will go wrong, then it WILL go wrong; however, if you believe life is good, it WILL be.

How to make a good cruise a GREAT cruise:

--Don't gripe about long lines, pass the time by studying fellow cruisers.

--Don't just go to dinner, attend a DINNER PARTY.

--Don't just visit a port, begin an ADVENTURE.

--When the cruise line screws up, put it in perspective, then respond appropriately, not emotionally.

--Don't dwell on the steak that was tough, remember the dessert that excited you.

--When you order a drink, clink glasses (in toast) to your spouse or a fellow traveler.

--You have your own life memorized- stop and listen to what others have to say.

--If you find that you're not "clicking" with someone, consider that you still have 2,000 other people to meet. (and 800 crew)

--Small town people do this easily...say "HI" to everyone you meet in the hallway.

--Elevators are the best places to chat (next to martini bars).

--Never forget to say, "THANK YOU" to cruise employees for ANY service they provide.

--Respect fellow cruisers whether it's giving up a poolside chair or wearing what's appropriate to the MDR.

--When you see a person taking a picture of their spouse/friend, offer to take the picture of them together.

--Just before you leave your cabin, look at yourself in the mirror...and smile.(This one might surprise you)

--Take many things in life seriously, but don't include yourself.

_

This is absolutely beautiful. I did copy this and sent myself an email that I will send to others, thank you. Then when I am done with that, I will print it out and puti t with my cruise documents. This is how we should live life, let alone cruise.

What one piece of advice would you give someone new to cruising?

There are a lot of things I'd want to tell new cruisers, but one of them would be that no vacation is going to go 100% smoothly, and make sure you have a back up plan for your various activities. Excursions both from the ship and independent tours can be canceled on short notice, and you need to be ready to make alternative plans even the night before port.

I would tell someone who is new to cruising not to do too much research. leave a little something to be surprised by

Research, plan, then go with the flow.

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Smile and the world will smile with you.

Keep your eyes, mind, and heart open.

Most of all relax and enjoy yourself because it is just a short moment in time and before you know it the moment will be over, so don't waste time on anything other than enjoying your moment, you've worked hard for it and earned it, don't let it slip past you because who knows when you'll get another one.

As others have already posted before me, things may go wrong, let it roll off your shoulders. Have fun, don't sweat the small stuff!! Oh, if you get a chance, take a shower in the spa.The showers are much bigger and some have several shower heads.

Re: the showers in the spa. Is the area private so you can shower with your spouse? How about the dressing area after the shower...sounds like a great idea, just don't know the 'details' :p Thanks!

Now, that is how you make the cruise more memorable!

Re: the showers in the spa. Is the area private so you can shower with your spouse? How about the dressing area after the shower...sounds like a great idea, just don't know the 'details' :p Thanks!

I would tell someone who is new to cruising not to do too much research. leave a little something to be surprised by

Yes! That is so true! However I think people should do research and plan something fun in the ports. It seems like such a waste to me to go to these exotic ports and stay at the port area. People have no idea what they are missing when they do this!

Rotary Scott said it all.

It's your cruise, your attitude will make it or break it.

Enjoy dressing up for the MDR on Elegant Nights. How often do you dress up at home?

Try something different, for dinner, for adventure, for your memories.

Enjoy your partner. It's not a time to argue go here or there. If she wants to go there, go. You may never get back.

Purchase something at each port. Support the economy that made your vacation possible, and bring home a souvener. Rum cake or a bottle of duty free liquor doesn't count.

Yes, I know. That was more than one thing.

Archived