What One Piece of Advice

What one piece of advice would you give someone new to cruising?

There are a lot of things I'd want to tell new cruisers, but one of them would be that no vacation is going to go 100% smoothly, and make sure you have a back up plan for your various activities. Excursions both from the ship and independent tours can be canceled on short notice, and you need to be ready to make alternative plans even the night before port.

Fly in a day or two early and stay a day or two after.

I agree 100% that getting into port a day early is important.

My other advise would be to do your homework!! There are a lot of things that can disrupt your cruise. If you are aware of all the possibilities, then you are able to deal with it better.

I always steer people here. If you can get past some of the drama, there is a TON to be learned here. CC is a fabulouse resource.

Not everything is going to be perfect.

Go into a cruise knowing that and you will have a great time.

Don't let that one thing ruin your cruise. You may have bad service in the dining room one night, a missed port, or even loud neighbors.

Make the most of your cruise and just go with the flow.

Educate yourself about everything before you cruise - your cabin location (what might be above/below you), your ports of call, etc. Read some reviews, but go with an open mind. There will always be some glitches - go with the flow. Make sure you put all your meds/valuables in your carry-on. Be nice to the crew - they are there to make your vacation the best possible. Make sure your flight times don't cause you stress - go in a day early precruise, and give yourself some time to catch the plane in case the ship comes in late going home. Most of all - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

The following is simply my opinion which, when combined with a dollar will get me a senior cup of coffee at McDonalds.

The one consideration that can completely change a cruise is "ATTITUDE".

I believe in the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: "If you think it will go wrong, then it WILL go wrong; however, if you believe life is good, it WILL be.

How to make a good cruise a GREAT cruise:

--Don't gripe about long lines, pass the time by studying fellow cruisers.

--Don't just go to dinner, attend a DINNER PARTY.

--Don't just visit a port, begin an ADVENTURE.

--When the cruise line screws up, put it in perspective, then respond appropriately, not emotionally.

--Don't dwell on the steak that was tough, remember the dessert that excited you.

--When you order a drink, clink glasses (in toast) to your spouse or a fellow traveler.

--You have your own life memorized- stop and listen to what others have to say.

--If you find that you're not "clicking" with someone, consider that you still have 2,000 other people to meet. (and 800 crew)

--Small town people do this easily...say "HI" to everyone you meet in the hallway.

--Elevators are the best places to chat (next to martini bars).

--Never forget to say, "THANK YOU" to cruise employees for ANY service they provide.

--Respect fellow cruisers whether it's giving up a poolside chair or wearing what's appropriate to the MDR.

--When you see a person taking a picture of their spouse/friend, offer to take the picture of them together.

--Just before you leave your cabin, look at yourself in the mirror...and smile.(This one might surprise you)

--Take many things in life seriously, but don't include yourself.

_

Don't try to do everything listed in the Capers/Fun Times.

I second that. You can wear yourself out!

Three things I would add:

1. Make sure you get travelers' insurance. You never know when you might need it.

2. Nap time. A great de-stresser.:)

3. Despite what your spouse says, you ARE allowed to have more than one dessert.:D

#1 - The most important items to make sure you have with you before you leave home to go to the port-your cruise documents and PROPER ID! Even if you forgot/lost everything else, that will at least get you on the ship, and you can deal with the rest later (just make sure you don't pack them in your checked luggage-have them IN HAND):eek:

(My second piece of advice would be to take every review you read on here with a grain of salt:rolleyes:)

Take time to relax - don't think you have to go on an excursion at every port. After our first cruise my entire family swore we would not cruise again - we were so tired/exhausted!!! After being home and recuperating, we realized getting up super early every morning and rushing around to meet our excursions was not the way for us to enjoy a vacation. We are going again and this time I haven't booked any excursions - we will explore the ports on our own at our leisure and hopefully we will have some energy left to enjoy things on the ship (which we didn't the first time because we were in bed so early every night!!!)

Try something new on the menu you might not otherwise try. You just might be surprised. ;)

I ALWAYS do this! I had rabbit once on my Princess cruise. Figured it is the perfect time to try something -- don't like it? send it back and get something else! Like it? Add it to your repertoire forever and ever!

The following is simply my opinion which, when combined with a dollar will get me a senior cup of coffee at McDonalds.

I believe in the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: "If you think it will go wrong, then it WILL go wrong; however, if you believe life is good, it WILL be.

--When the cruise line screws up, put it in perspective, then respond appropriately, not emotionally.

--Don't dwell on the steak that was tough, remember the dessert that excited you.

--When you order a drink, clink glasses (in toast) to your spouse or a fellow traveler.

--If you find that you're not "clicking" with someone, consider that you still have 2,000 other people to meet. (and 800 crew)

--Small town people do this easily...say "HI" to everyone you meet in the hallway.

--Never forget to say, "THANK YOU" to cruise employees for ANY service they provide.

--Respect fellow cruisers whether it's giving up a poolside chair or wearing what's appropriate to the MDR.

--When you see a person taking a picture of their spouse/friend, offer to take the picture of them together.

--Just before you leave your cabin, look at yourself in the mirror...and smile.(This one might surprise you)

_

I am working on my 10th Carnival Cruise and this sums it up perfectly - Life is too short - go ahead and dance in the rain :)

What one piece of advice would you give someone new to cruising?

There are a lot of things I'd want to tell new cruisers, but one of them would be that no vacation is going to go 100% smoothly, and make sure you have a back up plan for your various activities. Excursions both from the ship and independent tours can be canceled on short notice, and you need to be ready to make alternative plans even the night before port.

Don't get so caught up with little stuff that you forget to relax and have fun. I do mega planning before we leave (DH thinks I'm obsessed) but once we leave the driveway, I'm in vaca relax mode. Enjoy and HAVE FUN!!!

When you board, explore the ship! Get comfortable with where you are and where various things are.

Smile, say hello to total strangers! Why wait till the last day of the cruise to figure out you may have made new friends...meet folks early.

Don't worry about the small stuff, like lines at the buffet, chair hogs etc. Your on vacation. Just relax and have fun.

I totally agree with this one. The first really expensive vacation I went on, one of my best friends told me to get into "vacation mode" and not let the small stuff piss me off that would at home. Roll with the punches and have a good time no matter what...

_

I love this! The only thing I would add would be to carry lots of 1's for tipping. My DS and I got caught once with nothing but 20's in our pockets and had to tip several people. :eek:

Enjoy your cruise :cool:

_

I absolutely LOVE these tips!!!:):)

_

I think this list is phenomenal. No, really - I don't think I ever wanted to print out a post before. And a few alterations can make it apply to most aspects of travel, and life in general.

As to the original topic, I would make sure they know what documents they need, and if they really must arrive on the same day, make sure they know what time they need to be on board, not just what time the ship sails.

I guess I'm just a practical person. I like to know my way around the ship, also. The rest is just have fun!

Archived