Nice shorts ok for boys in MDR?

Is it ok for my sons (7 & 10) to wear nice (khaki or plaid) shorts with a polo to dinner on casual nights?

They have worn this on Princess and Carnival (I won't even comment on the things I saw Adults wearing on Carnival to dinner!) But we haven't been on RCL in years and not with kids.

We are flying in to port so I am trying to avoid packing a lot of extra clothes.

Thanks!

There might be a handful of kids wearing shorts, but most of the people including kids will be wearing long pants/jeans.

The first night and the last night are the most casual, so I'd say those would be the best nights if you plan to go against the "no shorts in the MDR" request.

There is a dress code listed on each day's cruise compass that says that shorts are not allowed, even though it makes no sense to disallow them. It's not like dress shorts are as offensive as wearing a hat or belching at the table. I guess they think that people still dress like they did when the Titanic made its voyage.

What they should ban from cruises is the rude obnoxious people, like the well-dressed guy that refused to accept the elevator was full last week. He jumped in one of the two open spots, and then proceeded to crowd people around the two wheelchair passengers, so his family of six could ride up two floors. I wish he had been on my side of the elevator, so I could have accidentally dug my elbow into his rib cage during the ride.

Will they turn you away? No. Will you see people in shorts in the MDR? Probably. Should you follow the suggested dress codes? Yes. I would pack 1 pair of long khaki pants and 2 nice shirts for each and they are good to go. Our son (12 last cruise-4 nights) wore the same khakis each night (including formal night) and rotated between 2 collared shirts (wore a dress shirt & tie on formal night-no jacket). Each night after dinner, he would go back to the room and change back into shorts & tees.

I witnessed a teen boy denied entry for wearing shorts on a formal night. Had it been a casual night they might have allowed them but I don't recall seeing any.

Curious that Princess would allow them. Always thought those lines (Princess, Holland, Celebrity) would be more strict.

Yes, but it might be a good training for them not to. IMHO, take one pair of long pants and just change/alternate the shirts ever other or third day, maybe a dressier shirt on formal night, and even with a tie, well maybe.

I'm no dress prude like many on here but their needs to be some reasonable dress code for the MDR. As an retired educator, we tried every year to establish a dress code, without going to a uniform and each year it mostly failed.

I don't know where people are getting the "no" answers from.

In the 21st century, if you read the RCCL dress codes, they clearly state that they are "suggestions". They only prohibit certain specific items, such as baseball caps, tank tops, bare feet, etc. Last time I looked, I don't remember shorts being listed on the "no" list.

For a long time now, unless you enter the dining room exhibiting something on the "no" list, the dining room staff does not enforce the dress code, since they could get into trouble for enforcing "suggestions" that are not outright "rules".

You are absolutely right -- in this day and age it is very hard to pack lots and lots of clothes because of luggage restrictions. If RCCL doesn't like it, let them pay the baggage fees.

Have your family dress however your family is comfortable, always respecting hygiene and common decency. Don't worry about what other people say. There are lots of lonely people who cruise for the sole reason of being able to stick their nose into other people's business.

On our last RCCL cruises, we've seen plenty of shorts in the main dining room. I don't understand why a man or boy can't wear elegant shorts, but nobody has a problem with a woman wearing a skirt up to her private parts with a halter top as if she were taken off of Eighth Avenue and 42nd Street back in the old days before Times Square became wholesome and Disneyized.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

In the 21st century, if you read the RCCL dress codes, they clearly state that they are "suggestions". They only prohibit certain specific items, such as baseball caps, tank tops, bare feet, etc. Last time I looked, I don't remember shorts being listed on the "no" list.

For a long time now, unless you enter the dining room exhibiting something on the "no" list, the dining room staff does not enforce the dress code, since they could get into trouble for enforcing "suggestions" that are not outright "rules".

You are absolutely right -- in this day and age it is very hard to pack lots and lots of clothes because of luggage restrictions. If RCCL doesn't like it, let them pay the baggage fees

Have your family dress however your family is comfortable, always respecting

hygiene and common decency. Don't worry about what other people say. There are lots of lonely people who cruise for the sole reason of being able to stick their nose into other people's business.

On our last RCCL cruises, we've seen plenty of shorts in the main dining room. I don't understand why a man or boy can't wear elegant shorts, but nobody has a problem with a woman wearing a skirt up to her private parts with a halter top as if she were taken off of Eighth Avenue and 42nd Street back in the old days before Times Square became wholesome and Disneyized.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Well said. Young boys will be fine wearing smart shorts and polo tops!

Could not resist

http://www.tuxgear.com/cart/boys-formal-short-sets-c-51.html

Enjoy.

Treat them to pair of Kakis, some brands these days even covert to shorts.

Whatever you decide enjoy the cruise, you will get many opinions but in the end it is your choice.

The cruise line has publised its guidelines and suggestions.

Is it ok for my sons (7 & 10) to wear nice (khaki or plaid) shorts with a polo to dinner on casual nights?

They have worn this on Princess and Carnival (I won't even comment on the things I saw Adults wearing on Carnival to dinner!) But we haven't been on RCL in years and not with kids.

We are flying in to port so I am trying to avoid packing a lot of extra clothes.

Thanks!

They will be fine :)

Anyone is fine with knee length shorts.

They will be fine :)

Anyone is fine with knee length shorts.

I'm going to grab my popcorn and keep an eye on this thread while I pack for Enchantment!

Personally I think others worry too much about what other people wear, casual nights, or formal nights!

Although I didn't wear them, I was glad on my last Carnival cruise shorts (they call them dress shorts aka no gym,running shorts) were allowed to dinner on the non formal/elegant nights.

I'm going to grab my popcorn and keep an eye on this thread while I pack for Enchantment!

Personally I think others worry too much about what other people wear, casual nights, or formal nights!

Although I didn't wear them, I was glad on my last Carnival cruise shorts (they call them dress shorts aka no gym,running shorts) were allowed to dinner on the non formal/elegant nights.

NO.

"Carnival"

"non formal/elegant nights"

enough said.

Thanks!

you can ALWAYS go to the buffet!

Check a recent cruise compass. It's there...

"Please note that bare feet, short pants, caps and tank tops are not permitted at dinner in the dining rooms or any of our specialty restaurants."

Will they turn you away? No. Will you see people in shorts in the MDR? Probably. Should you follow the suggested dress codes? Yes.

Our son (12 last cruise-4 nights) wore the same khakis each night (including formal night) and rotated between 2 collared shirts (wore a dress shirt & tie on formal night-no jacket). Each night after dinner, he would go back to the room and change back into shorts & tees.

This post made me chuckle.... They tell the OP to follow the suggested dress code, then go one to say that THEIR son didn't follow the code on formal night.

That being said, I will have my hands full trying to convince my 14yo daughter to wear anything besides basketball shorts 24/7 !

Aloha,

John

On our last Explorer Cruise, the Compass didn't say that.

You have to look on the RCCL website or cruise contract and see what it says there. If it says no shorts, then I stand corrected, then no shorts.

If it doesn't say no shorts, then there is a conflict between the Compass and the website/contract, and the website/contract would prevail since people have no way of reading the Compass pre-cruise.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Every cruise I have been on, I have seen shorts in the MDR at some point.

On one cruise, the entire family sharing our table was in shorts, on formal night. The 3 kids had just come off the basketball court and were actually sweaty, and wearing workout type shorts outfits.

I think nice shorts are ok in the MDR, on casual nights, especially for kids. Casual nights are usually first night, last night, and a port night or 2 (or 3).

(OP even specified, 'on casual nights')

I have seen the 'no short pants' suggestion on the Explorer Portofino invitation that you get in your room the day you are reserved for.

Ok I found it on the website so now the dress police can have a party:

"Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants."

You will still see people in shorts in MDR. Especially first and last nights, when luggage is not easily accessible, and on late days in port.

NO.

"Carnival"

"non formal/elegant nights"

enough said.

Been on Carnival?

Unless you have experienced it first hand than you have no personal experience on exactly what their product is like. On their newer ships they offer an excellent product! An incredible variety of evening entertainment, good food, and an excellent variety of included in the fare dining options for lunch.

For those who have been on Carnival and didn't like it, that's fine, their product isn't for everyone, nor is RCL's. But unless you've personally experienced something, than all you can offer is "heresay".

I'd love to book more Carnival cruises, but for me I prefer longer iten's and Carnival doesn't do much in the 7+ day market, and nothing longer out of the North East.

RCI should also post :" Although we feel that shorts and t-shorts aren't appropriate for the MDR we won't do much to enforce that "rule"."

You will see pax in shorts most any night, in the MDR. I've seen them on formal nights as well.

Guess it depends upon who is stationed at the door and if they want to risk a tongue lashing from angry pax if they ask them to go change.

Most people here are way too uptight. Let the boys wear the nice shorts. This is vacation right? This is not the Ritz Carlton is it? Packing shorts takes up less room than pants do and these days every pound counts if you're flying. Don't be concerned with what other people think. If they are concerned about your boys wearing a nice pair of shorts than they have other issues that need to be addressed (or they need to be on a Seabourne or Crystal cruise rather than an RCI or Carnival).

RCI should also post :" Although we feel that shorts and t-shorts aren't appropriate for the MDR we won't do much to enforce that "rule"."

You will see pax in shorts most any night, in the MDR. I've seen them on formal nights as well.

Guess it depends upon who is stationed at the door and if they want to risk a tongue lashing from angry pax if they ask them to go change.

I think that's the key! We have seen people TURNED AWAY for wearing shorts.

Archived