Nice shorts ok for boys in MDR?

And we're off.....................:p

Gotta love this topic!!!

Go to dinner, dress nice, don't bother anyone-you'll be fine!!!:D

That has always been my view, sadly not enough feel that way. Even when I used to enjoy dressing formally I never once thought less of someone who dressed more casually than I did. I was too busy enjoying my vacation to care!

Cruising has changed, sadly the concept of a dress code on a cruise has not. If everyone would used common sense and dress nice/respectively hopefully we could all get along.

I have never worn shorts to dinner in the MDR on RCL, and don't intend to, but if someone else does it has no impact on my evening, I'm too busy enjoying my evening to crawl around on the floor and look under the tables around me to see if people have shorts on or long pants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I allowed my boys to wear "nice" shorts to dinner when they were young but when they got older (teen age) I did not allow them to. I have been on the Oassis 3 times and the Allure 2 and every night at diner I would watch adult men walking by in shorts. What people wear to dinner is their option and it does not effect me in anyway. So my answer is YES let them wear shorts!!

I'll keep this short and sweet. After we saw t-shirts and ball caps (kept ON all during dinner) in the MDR on formal night, DH and DS wore dress shorts (khaki or plaid) with polos every night after that. No one said a word.

There was a time little boys were expected to wear shorts. Remember in Auntie Mame when Patrick got excited because his xmas gift was his first pair of long pants? So I stay turn back the clock to 1929 and they'll be fine. Just ignore the pedantic types on this board. Those who feel it's necessary to follow everything labled a rule without question need an American history lesson.

I'm not so sure why some people are so worried about what other people are doing or not doing. In this day and age, people are going to do what they want, like it or not. Do I think shorts are appropriate for adults in the dining room for dinner, no, but if someone else decides that's what they wish to wear - so be it. What someone else is wearing does not affect my health, safety, service, or enjoyment. As time goes on, our society is becoming more and more casual. I do think that passengers should dress respectfully in the dining room, which includes a sundress or similar for little girls, and khaki shorts/polo shirt for little boys. I don't think that young children need to be in suits/tuxes. As a parent of two, I know that kids grow so fast, that buying a suit/tux for an 8 year old is not a wise investment. Would I let my children wear ratty shorts and a T-shirt to the MDR? No. Nice khaki shorts, leather sandals (not the cheesy beach-type) and a polo shirt, I feel, are fine for young boys. I would hope that adults can adhere to the dress code, but if they don't, it really doesn't bother me in the least.

There was a time little boys were expected to wear shorts. Remember in Auntie Mame when Patrick got excited because his xmas gift was his first pair of long pants? So I stay turn back the clock to 1929 and they'll be fine. Just ignore the pedantic types on this board. Those who feel it's necessary to follow everything labled a rule without question need an American history lesson.

That is too funny , but so true.

Yes I remember Auntie Mame and the long pants .

Now when I was littlle (many many many many years after 1929 *LOL* :)) I have several pictures of me in these little "suits" that had short pants . That was actually what you dressed little boys in for church or special occasions .

What a cute little kid I was *LOL*

But I digress .

I haven't read this entire thread, but on "casual" nights on warm weather itineraries, shorts will be just fine (especially if they are wearing nice shirts). Definitely have long pants for specialty restaurants and the nicer evenings, but shorts are acceptable (and prevalent) for casual evenings even for adults.

And we're off.....................:p

Gotta love this topic!!!

Go to dinner, dress nice, don't bother anyone-you'll be fine!!!:D

You forgot to mention that those easily bothered by the attire of everyone else should wear their pearls so they can clutch them frequently. Oh my!!:p

I have never worn shorts to dinner in the MDR on RCL, and don't intend to, but if someone else does it has no impact on my evening, I'm too busy enjoying my evening to crawl around on the floor and look under the tables around me to see if people have shorts on or long pants. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The above sums up my feelings as well. Too many folks on these boards worry far too much about what others are doing.

I see the dress police are out in full force , the simple answer is yes they can , young boys can look smart in shorts and polo shirts , formal nights I feel that you should make an effort and have them in long pants with at least a short sleeved shirt and tie but any other night they will look fine .

Is it ok for my sons (7 & 10) to wear nice (khaki or plaid) shorts with a polo to dinner on casual nights?

They have worn this on Princess and Carnival (I won't even comment on the things I saw Adults wearing on Carnival to dinner!) But we haven't been on RCL in years and not with kids.

We are flying in to port so I am trying to avoid packing a lot of extra clothes.

Thanks!

Yes. I frequently wear shorts in the MDR. You will see that most people wear long pants but your kids or you for that matter will not be the only one wearing shorts.

Interesting how those of you who say "ignore the rules, 'nice shorts' would be fine" and "it doesn't matter to me in the least what other people wear" are simply either wanting to still have a dress code (albeit a more relaxed one) or you want NO dress code at all (which is asking for all kinds of problems).

If you DO want a dresscode, what is it supposed to be? Only "nice shorts" allowed? Do you really want someone standing at the door saying "those are nice shorts, go ahead and be seated...those are not 'nice shorts', go back to your cabin and change"?

How ridiculous!

So where do you draw the line? If you want a line drawn, then you are still in favor of a dress code, just a different one than is currently used.

On the other hand, if you truly don't care what others wear, then you should have no problem with men prancing around in speedos and women in bikinis and flip-flops. Is that what you want?

So, which is it? You DO want a dress code (just your own personal version of one) or do you want NO dress code (and anything goes)?

If you do want a dress code, how is yours any better than the current one? And if you don't want a dress code, do you really think that would be better?

Is it ok for my sons (7 & 10) to wear nice (khaki or plaid) shorts with a polo to dinner on casual nights?

They have worn this on Princess and Carnival (I won't even comment on the things I saw Adults wearing on Carnival to dinner!) But we haven't been on RCL in years and not with kids.

We are flying in to port so I am trying to avoid packing a lot of extra clothes.

Thanks!

Does a nice pair of khaki or plaid pants really take up that much more space in your bag than a pair of shorts? To me, it's a very weak point.

The suggested dress guidelines does not differentiate between or specifically mention kids or children. It does mention several times 'no shorts' for both casual and elegant dress nights for gentlemen and ladies.

Now with that said, I have seen videos and pictures of Carnival passengers dressed in the MDR as if they just came from a NASCAR race, a truck stop, or the local 'street corner' (if you get my drift).

It is a shame that Carnival has pandered to the lowest common denominator when it comes to enforcing their own guidelines. It takes very little effort to dress for a nice evening dinner in an elegant restaurant on board a beautiful cruise ship. I would hate to see RCI make the same mistake.

OP, whatever you decide I am sure that you will take the sound advice of these distinguished Cruise Critic members and make a judgement call based on the guidelines suggested by the cruise line regardless of the 'I did it and got away with it' attitude.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Those NASCAR fans are gonna go after you.

No worries. I am a NASCAR fan, lived less than 20 minutes away from the Charlotte Motor Speedway for 17 years. But I don't dress like a NASCAR fan when I am in the elegant main dining room of a cruise ship having a fine evening meal. I dress the part in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the cruise lines. Otherwise I eat in the Lido Restaurant.

Does a nice pair of khaki or plaid pants really take up that much more space in your bag than a pair of shorts? To me, it's a very weak point.

and if you are packing a pair of pants for formal night just use those with a polo for casual night.

I do not care what others wear as it does not impact me (within reason) but my family will be dressed per the guidelines. It is not that difficult to pull off with a little planning. I know what is expected and if I do not want to follow that I will pick a different vacation. There are many other cruises and land vacations where you can dress as you wish.

Those NASCAR fans are gonna go after you.

We took a cruise sponsored by NASCAR, and the ship was loaded with NASCAR fans. Guess what? I never saw anyone in the MDR who wasn't dressed according to the guidelines. Most would have been considered over dressed by many posting here.

We took a cruise sponsored by NASCAR, and the ship was loaded with NASCAR fans. Guess what? I never saw anyone in the MDR who wasn't dressed according to the guidelines. Most would have been considered over dressed by many posting here.

Tell that to dmwnc. I didn't say anything about their dressing habits.

The suggested dress guidelines does not differentiate between or specifically mention kids or children. It does mention several times 'no shorts' for both casual and elegant dress nights for gentlemen and ladies.

Now with that said, I have seen videos and pictures of Carnival passengers dressed in the MDR as if they just came from a NASCAR race, a truck stop, or the local 'street corner' (if you get my drift).

It is a shame that Carnival has pandered to the lowest common denominator when it comes to enforcing their own guidelines. It takes very little effort to dress for a nice evening dinner in an elegant restaurant on board a beautiful cruise ship. I would hate to see RCI make the same mistake.

Uh, this isn't just on Carnival. I've seen this kind of dress in the MDR on both of our RCI cruises. :rolleyes:

Archived