Fanny Packs

Retired Man

So true!! I use one occassionally (at the front or side) and other times a string backpack.

I feel sorry for people so worried about what other's think.

I don't wear them because I don't like them. However, I completely agree regarding feeling sorry for those people who's primary concern is what others think of them. Sure are a lot of insecure folks out there. :eek:;)

and hey, if you don't care what people think, then rock out with your fanny pack and don't get upset........cause getting upset is the opposite of not caring...

Exactly! I think they're beyond horrendous - but I'm only giving my 2 cents because the OP asked. :D :p ;)

I personally think you should do whatever is comfortable/convenient for you. But wouldn't fanny packs be easy pickings for a pick pocket? Even if you have the pack in the front, they could easily unclasp it behind your back and run with it. Are there ones that clasp a little more securely you can purchase?

Exactly! I think they're beyond horrendous - but I'm only giving my 2 cents because the OP asked. :D :p ;)

I personally think you should do whatever is comfortable/convenient for you. But wouldn't fanny packs be easy pickings for a pick pocket? Even if you have the pack in the front, they could easily unclasp it behind your back and run with it. Are there ones that clasp a little more securely you can purchase?

Not even that but a good snatch and the clasps will break. I didn't have a fanny pack, Ihad a runners pack with the same type of clasp and I caught it on a door knob and it broke right off.

I prefer a cross body bag, no one is getting that unless they take my neck with it.

And you do not think an oversize bag, backpack and a camera DO NOT make you look like a tourist??? Guess what just by speaking most natives of most countries will know you are a tourist. Just because you wear a fanny pack, that is after all the wearers choice, does not point you out any more than the other things. Who decides what is a "fashion faux pas" anyway. Wear what you want, use what fits your needs, go where you can see what you want and have the "faux pas" for lunch because then you will have done it your way and not all those others who are out to make some sort of fashion statement for some strange reason. They are the ones I get a laugh out of. Trying to fit in with somebody somewhere someplace they never will meet again. Love it

It's not that fanny packs make people look like tourists. Fanny packs make people look like dorks.

It's not that fanny packs make people look like tourists. Fanny packs make people look like dorks.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Please see an eye doctor.Your sight might have a problem. Or else see a regular doctor as your thoughts have one. Please do not tell that to anyone yo there face.It might be me and then the plastic surgeon might need to be called for tor final reconstruction. Also the testicles will return to their normal position ina few weeks.

Hope you have a good life with that attitude.

LOL...Friends don't let friends wear Fanny Packs!

My MIL has one. I make fun of her all the time. I told her I'd buy her a nice coach sling bag or something for Christmas...anything but the fanny pack!!!! She held her ground and said she'd like a new fanny pack for christmas cause she had the same one for 20 years....I caved and bought it. Now I'll be cruising with her:eek:

It's okay..I love her anyways. Now the rest of my family will get the witness the dreaded fanny pack

My sister has been using the same fanny pack for 20 years too!!! And the bad thing is she uses it EVERY DAY. Not just on vacation, ewwwww! We have tried for years to get her to carry a purse or stylish bag but we've been unsuccessful.

Honestly, were fanny packs ever IN vogue? It doesn't matter if you wear them in front or in back, they look ridiculous. A simple backpack slung over your shoulders works just as well and you have room for water bottes and souviners. Personal preference...Like wearing socks with crocs. Heck, even just wearing crocs...Thank god that look is over!

And in all our travels, we've never been pickpocketed.

Actually, they WERE in style in the mid 80's. And to be fair, not everyone needs to carry a backpack and some cant carry a back pack slung over the shoulder, I personally have a shoulder problem that is made worse when I carry a heavy bag on my shoulder for too long.

If you have ever been to Europe all the travel sites, books and agents will tell you that the one thing that you should NEVER carry your valuables in is a backpack. They are very easy to unzip and you will never know that you have been robbed until you look in your bag.

My DH usually wears a fanny pack in the front while on vaca. in the Caribbean, but in Europe, I wore a security purse across my chest and he actually wore his money in a belt, as even putting money in your front pockets you are a target to be pickpocketed. Pickpockets are veeerrry saavvy when acquiring your money!

Guilty!! I used to wear a fanny pack on vacation. They are definately convenient. Recently I was looking through some old vacation pictures... OMG I can't believe no one in my family told me how silly I looked. oh well, live and learn.

The day will never come that my kids would say something like that to me.

I think you're taking what she said way too seriously.

I'm in my 30's and I will not hesitate to tell my mother she is being a dork about something. She laughs it off and isn't offended.

HAHAHAHAHA That is soooooo funny. :D

No fanny packs, please!!

Where does one even buy a fanny pack these days? :cool:

Too funny...I have to say my family plays this game, kind of similar to "Slug bug" called "Fanny Pack Butt Smack"....I'm sure you can picture what the rules entail! :D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Please see an eye doctor.Your sight might have a problem. Or else see a regular doctor as your thoughts have one. Please do not tell that to anyone yo there face.It might be me and then the plastic surgeon might need to be called for tor final reconstruction. Also the testicles will return to their normal position ina few weeks.

Hope you have a good life with that attitude.

angry much?:eek:

Fanny backs are great for carrying all those important items that are too large for your pockets, but don't take up enough space to fill a backpack.

They also double as a contraceptive. :p

OMG! I just had a "China Syndrome" moment. I spit my Pepsi on my keyboard! Now I have to clean it up!:eek::D

I'm not sure HOW the fanny pack got such a bad wrap. It is functional and less bulky than a back pack. Especially considering hot/humid climates, the last thing I want is a backpack blocking ventilation to a large part of my body (my back). Unless I have a lot of things to lug around, I vote fanny pack under the more cool name of "The Hip Sack"....uh, not sure that helps my case.

Are fanny packs/hip sacks really taboo world wide? Or is this a Seinfeld created faux pas only existent here in America?

For family members that choose to make fun of my fanny pack, I simply refuse to carry their stuff in it. Suddenly, the fanny pack is not so dorky when they don't have to lug around their money, camera, phone, etc.

Personally, I think the Fanny pack draws a lot of attention to areas I don't need attention drawn to! Land or sea I usually just carry a small messanger bag :)

Talk about looking like a geek. Oh yea is that like the European Shoulder bag from the progressive commercials. Yea right.

Archived