Fanny Packs

Retired Man

While in Port, DH & I both wear Fanny Packs. I tried a back pack once, and it seemed very uncomfortable. I am not a fashionista, rather a Comfortista ( comes with old age, I guess). Whatever is more comfortable for you, then do it.

What is so wrong with a fanny pack? I'm not about to lug around a backpack just to carry my passport, ID, cigarettes and money in. Just because it's called a fanny pack doesn't mean you have to wear it in the back. I wear mine in the front so that I can tell if someone is trying to get in to it.

If that puts me on Mr Blackwell's list of worst dressers, who cares.

Couldn't agree more! I use one in the front when I travel, the hands-free convenience is well worth it. I don't care about fashion, and if someone judges me for wearing it, be my guest. While they're juggling purses, twisting their arms around to get what they want, and wondering if anyone is sticking their hands into the backpack behind them, I'll be much more comfortable and in charge.

Never used a fanny pack when they were in vogue and not going to start now. Same for wearing black socks with sandals - but that look was never in vogue..... :eek::eek:

:D:p:D:p

Honestly, were fanny packs ever IN vogue? It doesn't matter if you wear them in front or in back, they look ridiculous. A simple backpack slung over your shoulders works just as well and you have room for water bottes and souviners. Personal preference...Like wearing socks with crocs. Heck, even just wearing crocs...Thank god that look is over!

And in all our travels, we've never been pickpocketed.

Its your vacation do what is comfortable to you. Each memeber of my family has a lanyard pouch that can fit the things in it that may be needed on shore (drivers license, sign and sail, passport chap stick, cash). We were these under our shirts.

We have a draw string bag that we carry that we put our camera and water in and take turns carrying it.

I don't care what anyone thinks of how I look while on vacation. I do what I want and what is comfortable.

I am a man and I need one because I don't carry my wallet when I'm on a cruise. Ever hear of pick pockets. They can clean you out before you even feel that they are doing it. With a fanny pack in front with zippers on it, they''d be hard pressed to get anything from me.

And how can I enjoy a cruise when I have to worry about not meeting someone's standards by wearing a fanny pack? Cruising is now ruined for me for the rest of my life. Oh the humanities! :(

Haha :) Just wear the stupid thing and have a good cruise :p

I agree with your friends,... but so what? ;) Where what works for you.

I carry a straw/bead purse. Works for me. Hangs on my shoulder. Hands are free.

I carry one...but then it's where I carry my gun and badge. (No, not on cruises). I was out one time and a guy looked at me and said with a snotty tone of voice "You carry a fanny pack?" I looked him in the eye and said in my coldest cop voice "Yeah, I carry my gun in it." He stammered a hurried "oh" and walked away...quickly. LOL

Seriously, they really are pretty practical, you just have to be secure in your masculinity to carry one. You're never going to see those people again anyway, go for it!

Awesome! :D Hats off to you, sir!

I used to have a waistpack/fannypack, but then I found a multi-pocket bag of similar size but more flat, on a long cord that I can wear crossbody while walking, or tighten the cord and turn it into a waistpack for convenience. Very handy when you can't take bags on rides at themeparks, but they don't bat an eye at waistpacks.

haha. they are a fashion faux pas, but who cares. i personally won't use one, there are many other options that fit my needs.

they are also a dead ringer for a tourist. i use an oversized bag to carry our things, but i also carry a dslr camera among other things. go and have fun, so what if you are the brunt of a few laughs. who hasn't been at some point in their life.:)

Haha :) Just wear the stupid thing and have a good cruise :p

All I can add to this is find something that YOU think works best, be it a fanny pack, waist bag, back pack, man purse, etc... and go with it.

I have a little bag with a long strap that goes across my body (wife calls it my "Man Purse" but I'm okay with it) that works well for me. Has a few different compartments for stuff so it's handy. Bought it in an airport somewhere and really didn't expect it to be so useful. It's a must have for me on cruises and other vacations when I need more pockets than I have (cell phones, tickets, reservations, compact camera) Is it a fashion statement? Hell no. Does it work for me? Better than I could've imagined.

Go with what works best for you, I stopped caring what other people think of the way I dress years ago and life is all good! :)

You can do it, just say no.

LOL...Friends don't let friends wear Fanny Packs!

My MIL has one. I make fun of her all the time. I told her I'd buy her a nice coach sling bag or something for Christmas...anything but the fanny pack!!!! She held her ground and said she'd like a new fanny pack for christmas cause she had the same one for 20 years....I caved and bought it. Now I'll be cruising with her:eek:

It's okay..I love her anyways. Now the rest of my family will get the witness the dreaded fanny pack

My DD and DH always make fun of me when I wear mine (from Disney World circa 1994) facing front. But I love it for hands free carrying essentials. Don't really care what others think - I have plenty of other things people can make fun of if they want....

it goes well with my speedo,hawaian shirt and sandals with socks!

I am glad you found the fashion statement that works for you. Try alternating between the white and black socks for a totally different feeling of I do not give a rats behind to what other people think of me. Freedom is for those who use it.

haha. they are a fashion faux pas, but who cares. i personally won't use one, there are many other options that fit my needs.

they are also a dead ringer for a tourist. i use an oversized bag to carry our things, but i also carry a dslr camera among other things. go and have fun, so what if you are the brunt of a few laughs. who hasn't been at some point in their life.:)

And you do not think an oversize bag, backpack and a camera DO NOT make you look like a tourist??? Guess what just by speaking most natives of most countries will know you are a tourist. Just because you wear a fanny pack, that is after all the wearers choice, does not point you out any more than the other things. Who decides what is a "fashion faux pas" anyway. Wear what you want, use what fits your needs, go where you can see what you want and have the "faux pas" for lunch because then you will have done it your way and not all those others who are out to make some sort of fashion statement for some strange reason. They are the ones I get a laugh out of. Trying to fit in with somebody somewhere someplace they never will meet again. Love it

And you do not think an oversize bag, backpack and a camera DO NOT make you look like a tourist??? Guess what just by speaking most natives of most countries will know you are a tourist. Just because you wear a fanny pack, that is after all the wearers choice, does not point you out any more than the other things. Who decides what is a "fashion faux pas" anyway. Wear what you want, use what fits your needs, go where you can see what you want and have the "faux pas" for lunch because then you will have done it your way and not all those others who are out to make some sort of fashion statement for some strange reason. They are the ones I get a laugh out of. Trying to fit in with somebody somewhere someplace they never will meet again. Love it

OMG lighten up.:eek: i really don't care what anyone wears or doesn't wear. i'm not a tourist...i'm a traveler.:D

I always use a fanny pack, it've very convenient to carry around my cameras when the weather is too warm for a jacket. Backpacks are okay, I have one as well, but you waist a lot of time trying to get your camera out of it and might miss a photographic oppertunity.:cool:

oh snap. Fanny pack debate.

I'm pretty sure fanny packs should have died in the 80's along with bad hair :eek:

and hey, if you don't care what people think, then rock out with your fanny pack and don't get upset........cause getting upset is the opposite of not caring...

Archived