Not thrilled with being forced to pre pay tips for My Time Dining

Can't you just book the cruise and be wait listed for one of the fixed dinner seating times? If you are on a wait list you don't have to prepay, do you?...
Yes you do; no other option if you sign up for the cruise.
... Being "forced" to pay something you are going to pay anyway, is, I guess, the price of having the flexibility that MTD offers. If that is unacceptable you can request to be put on a wait list for traditional dining and it is most likely that you will have it by the time you board.
I have a difficulty perceiving being assigned to something I don't want as "flexibility". This is the price one pays for RCI's inflexibility. I AM on the wait list for traditional, but am still invoiced for pre-tips.
...It's really not that much of a big deal as it seems.
I'll concede that it is not that big a deal to me, but it is for me, not you, to decide what is a big deal to me. I am reminded of the Caribbean expression "No problem, mon" which is always applied when it is not their problem [which, no doubt, is why they perceive it as no problem].

Thom

I am in total agreement with you. The word Tip and pre-pay should never be in the same sentence IMHO. To me, it is not a tip anymore.

I won't do MTD for that reason. There are many ways to create your own version of MTD that does not require an advance so called tip.;)

OK, call it a service fee. It is still the same thing - the workers wages.

The tips,and Royal actually calls them gratuities, are not pre paid, they are pre invoiced, the chances are that you will be moved to the MDR before final payment and it will not become an issue. The MDR being booked up early is being caused by Travel Agents booking groups and assigned dining times, when these cabins go unsold and are returned to inventory or the final purchaser requests MTD, then the seating will be released

I do not want the My Time Dining. My wife and I like the late seating for dinner. We like to come back to the ship after the excursion of the day and relax before dinner. We feel that having the same waiter and asst waiter to get to know and interact with is one of the highlights of many of the cruises we have been on. We have met some couple as tablemates that we have had a great time with and have been another highlight of past cruises. my issues are with not having the option for a late or early seating and having to pre pay the tips.

We've never had a problem requesting a specific time and waiter. Choose the time you want in advance, after you sit for the first night stop by the hostess on your way out and ask to be placed with those same crew members for the remainder of the trip. You can also request a table for 4, 6, 8, etc if you want to meet others.

I understand some people don't want to prepay, a lot of other lines require you to do it regardless of dining. Auto gratuities are the new thing in cruising.

The biggest issue with prepaid gratuities is I cannot use my OBC to pay them. On the other hand, traditional dining means I need to either fill out a form or to chase after servers. Sucks.

Royal really need to change their system and do auto tips like many other lines do. Basically just add the tips on the last day to the S&S bill. That way I can use OBC to pay tips and I don't have chase after anyone. I bet it also cuts down on people sneaking away on last day and not paying tips.

I do not want the My Time Dining. My wife and I like the late seating for dinner. We like to come back to the ship after the excursion of the day and relax before dinner. We feel that having the same waiter and asst waiter to get to know and interact with is one of the highlights of many of the cruises we have been on. We have met some couple as tablemates that we have had a great time with and have been another highlight of past cruises. my issues are with not having the option for a late or early seating and having to pre pay the tips.

We have had MTD on three cruises and requested the same time for each night. We had the same table and waitstaff each night.

I am not happy with having to Pre pay tips for choosing My Time Dining. The last cruise I booked I could not get an 8:30 seating and had to be placed on a wait list. Last night I booked a cruise and did not have an option for either a 6:30 or 8:30 seating. I still had to pre pay the tips.

First of all RC is having trouble filling the cruise that I booked. There have been extra discounts such as Crown and Anchor member discounts, Over 55 discounts, and bonus C & A loyalty points if you book the cruise. When I booked the cruise the Royal Carribean rep was asking what area of the deck I would like my room. She said "there were plenty to choose from". How is it then that neither a 6:30 or 8:30 seating was available?

Why am I forced to prepay tips when I have no other option?

Secondly when you prepay tips for my time dining you pay for all tips including Cabin steward and Assistant. What does that have to do with dining?

I am on a wait list for 8:30 seating. If I get the 8:30 seating the prepaid tips will not be removed from my bill unless I call ask request it.

I usually pre pay my tips anyway but I do it on my timeline. The way RC is setting this up I have to pay my cruise price including tips 90 days out. The money I earn by keeping $160 in the bank until just before the cruise when I pay it is probably negligible. I feel it should be my choice though of when to give it up.

This is a bad policy.:(

This doesn't sound right. Don't they have to seat you at one of the two dinner seatings? They can't force you into MTD.

The biggest issue with prepaid gratuities is I cannot use my OBC to pay them. On the other hand, traditional dining means I need to either fill out a form or to chase after servers. Sucks.

Royal really need to change their system and do auto tips like many other lines do. Basically just add the tips on the last day to the S&S bill. That way I can use OBC to pay tips and I don't have chase after anyone. I bet it also cuts down on people sneaking away on last day and not paying tips.

Filling out the form takes what, a minute?;) I agree that RCI should join the other lines (I can't think of a mass market line that doesn't just add a daily service charge) in going to the daily service charge. Who needs to waste a minute of their day?:p Really, I do agree with you. The process just isn't that complicated.:)

I am in complete agreement with everything you say. For several years now, RCI has been the ONLY mass market line in the US market that does not auto-bill tips. I can't see why they have not moved in this direction. Easier for passengers. Certainly better for employees who are more likely to get paid - and let's face it, tips are the bulk of compensation for employees who customarily are tipped. If they made MTD tips non-reducible they would be in the same situation they are now, other than the company losing the accelerated cash flow. If RCI wants to include tips in your fare [as sister company Azamara does] that is entirely their privilege. It is the perception that they are playing less than honest straight-forward games that is upsetting.

Thom

This doesn't sound right. Don't they have to seat you at one of the two dinner seatings? They can't force you into MTD.
Obviously quite a number of us [unless we clear wait lists] have quite definitely been forced into MTD if we desire to go on the cruise. I agree - this doesn't sound right. I have no disagreement with those who desire MTD - that is their privilege. However, one of the reasons I have not gone back to NCL is that it has gone almost entirely MTD and I choose not to go there [anybody from RCI listening:confused:].

Thom

We also booked today for a cruise for Feb. 2013. Both dining times were full. We are wait listed for the late seating which is our first choice. We booked on one of the smaller ships, Enchantment of the Seas. We booked with a TA and I was there when she had RCCL on the phone and verified that the late seating was full. This will be our 5th cruise. Our last in January of this year booked 6 weeks before departure and no problem getting the late seating. The pre paid tips all come out the same whether paid with final payment or paid at the time of sailing. It's not like the amount of the tips are different from someone who has a reserved seating time.

Obviously quite a number of us [unless we clear wait lists] have quite definitely been forced into MTD if we desire to go on the cruise. I agree - this doesn't sound right. I have no disagreement with those who desire MTD - that is their privilege. However, one of the reasons I have not gone back to NCL is that it has gone almost entirely MTD and I choose not to go there [anybody from RCI listening:confused:].

Thom

I just always thougth of MTD an option, not something that could be forced on me. I'd be pretty ticked if I was denied a regular dining time. DW and I love getting to know our tablemates during the cruise. We've made some awesome friends. I'd be much more inclined to do dinner in the Windjammer if they forced me into MTD.

Those were the conditions you were presented with, you were not forced into booking that spefici cruise...So you made your decision to book...Work towards the change in time, but you did make that decision.

If it is a deal breaker, then cancel.

If all the tables allotted to early and late seating are filled, where should they place you? If the time you eat is so essential, allow yourself to be "forced" into MTD and choose to eat at the same time as the early or late seating diners do. You will still be in the same dining room and the menu will not be different.

Obviously quite a number of us [unless we clear wait lists] have quite definitely been forced into MTD if we desire to go on the cruise. I agree - this doesn't sound right. I have no disagreement with those who desire MTD - that is their privilege. However, one of the reasons I have not gone back to NCL is that it has gone almost entirely MTD and I choose not to go there [anybody from RCI listening:confused:]. Thom
If all the tables allotted to early and late seating are filled, where should they place you? If the time you eat is so essential, allow yourself to be "forced" into MTD and choose to eat at the same time as the early or late seating diners do. You will still be in the same dining room and the menu will not be different.
I generally request a large table at traditional dining. I have had very good luck over the years with random tablemates who became friends. I don't think I have complained about not being able to eat at the time I want, I have complained about not getting into fixed traditional dining. Note my comment about one reason of not going back to NCL is problems getting traditional dining.
Those were the conditions you were presented with, you were not forced into booking that spefici cruise...So you made your decision to book...Work towards the change in time, but you did make that decision.

If it is a deal breaker, then cancel.

Yes, cancelling is an option, and if we don't clear wait list that is being considered. However when a company has a product which has been enjoyed over the years, I feel that it is worth letting them know WHY you are walking away, and giving them at least a chance of rectifying the situation.

Thom

Pre-paying gratuities has never been a requirement if you are booked for traditional dining. It is only applied if you request MTD prior to boarding.

Sounds like you are already assigned MTD so the gratuities are automatically added to your invoice. If you are waitlisted for 8:30 Late Seating which is traditional dining, then those gratuities will automatically be removed once you have been assigned that time.

Not automatically removed if you move from the waitlist to 8:30. You have to call RC and ak them to remove it.

Not automatically removed if you move from the waitlist to 8:30. You have to call RC and ak them to remove it.

This must be something new because we have been wait listed numerous times for early seating and have never had our gratuities automatically added to our booking. And when we were moved from the waitlist, still no gratuities to call about.

Now that we have changed to MTD when we cruise, the gratuities are automatically added at the time of booking which is common practice for MTD and we have no problem prepaying.

This must be something new because we have been wait listed numerous times for early seating and have never had our gratuities automatically added to our booking. And when we were moved from the waitlist, still no gratuities to call about...
Were you being moved from "Late Dining /wait listed for Early" to "Early Dining"? If that is the case there would have been no pre-tips invoiced.

The issue here is that RCI is now refusing to allow many of us into either traditional dining time, and mandating MTD and invoicing tips.

Thom

These ships were never built to accomodate these differnt dining options but many (some of you here tooo) kept complaining about how you wanted an anytimer dining option in the MDR. Result RCCL now only takes reservations for traditional dining for parts of the restaurant as to leave space for those who insist on anytime dining. This also means that on ocassion some passengers who would prefer traditional dining are left out in the cold because a particular cruise has more traditional cruisers verses anytime diners. Yes you might be lucky and might be able to change those tables once onboard but still have to pre pay gratuities since that is part of the deal......

Just goes to show that all these changes made to accomodate certain cruisers are not all super and that sometimes it goes at the cost of other cruisers who prefer the more trasditional version

Were you being moved from "Late Dining /wait listed for Early" to "Early Dining"? If that is the case there would have been no pre-tips invoiced.

The issue here is that RCI is now refusing to allow many of us into either traditional dining time, and mandating MTD and invoicing tips.

Thom

Before we went to MTD, our dinner choice has always been Main Seating and if it wasn't available at the time of booking we were waitlisted and no gratuities were added to our Invoice.

You can always wait until you board and try to sign up for MTD at that time. Your tips will be added to your onboard account. If they are having so much trouble filling the ship, I would think your chances of getting MTD would still be good.

As far as why your tips for your room steward are concerned, I believe that it is just much simpler for them to group all of the tips into one charge than break out the room steward's gratuities. Since you intend to pay the suggested tips anyway, I think that your concern over being required to pay them in advance is a bit misplaced.It is what it is, whether or not you or I like it and as you say the amount of interest you will lose really is negligible. If the principle is so important to you, perhaps you have chosen the wrong line to cruise with. Frankly, If I were you, I'd pick my fights and not become overly upset about what many feel is a minor issue.

Lost interest on $160 over 90 days will be a minimal sum. However, interest earned on this amount multiplied by 3 or 4 thousand passengers equates to a healthy lift for the cruise line.

So it looks like they set aside more tables for My Time, causing no room at early or late MDR seating.

This has got to result in more people going to the specialty restaurants.

It also allows the cruise line to collect the gratuities and hand them out to the crew as they see fit.

Looks like My Time is good for the cruise line.

So it looks like they set aside more tables for My Time, causing no room at early or late MDR seating.

This has got to result in more people going to the specialty restaurants.

It also allows the cruise line to collect the gratuities and hand them out to the crew as they see fit.

Looks like My Time is good for the cruise line.

On my 2011 sailing we were on the same deck as the MTD area. Let me tell you, with the exception of the first formal night, that area had loads of empty tables every night! Only the fixed late sitting tables had people show up almost every single night. So I don't understand why RCCL is pushing this MTD option except for getting the tip monies up front months in advance. Plus, being told to wait till I board to go see the Maitre'd is a sure way to create unhappy passengers and a frustrated Maitre'd who has to deal with them!:(

If RCCL wants money so badly, just make the pre-paid gratuties part of the total cost of the sailing and be done with it. We pay the gratuties anyway. But do not mess with my dining time! I have never taken anything but late sitting with an assigned table. Don't want any other option to be offered to me like it is really a choice.

MARAPRINCE

I am not happy with having to Pre pay tips for choosing My Time Dining. The last cruise I booked I could not get an 8:30 seating and had to be placed on a wait list. Last night I booked a cruise and did not have an option for either a 6:30 or 8:30 seating. I still had to pre pay the tips.

First of all RC is having trouble filling the cruise that I booked. There have been extra discounts such as Crown and Anchor member discounts, Over 55 discounts, and bonus C & A loyalty points if you book the cruise. When I booked the cruise the Royal Carribean rep was asking what area of the deck I would like my room. She said "there were plenty to choose from". How is it then that neither a 6:30 or 8:30 seating was available?

Why am I forced to prepay tips when I have no other option?

Secondly when you prepay tips for my time dining you pay for all tips including Cabin steward and Assistant. What does that have to do with dining?

I am on a wait list for 8:30 seating. If I get the 8:30 seating the prepaid tips will not be removed from my bill unless I call ask request it.

I usually pre pay my tips anyway but I do it on my timeline. The way RC is setting this up I have to pay my cruise price including tips 90 days out. The money I earn by keeping $160 in the bank until just before the cruise when I pay it is probably negligible. I feel it should be my choice though of when to give it up.

This is a bad policy.:(

have you actually phoned RC and asked them to remove the prepaid tips?

If so what did they day?

If not, why not?

Archived