Escargot Escapades

sarafinadh

The crab stuffed mushroom caps aren't a good substitute for those of us who are allergic to shellfish. :(

Betsy

Many/most who are allergic to shellfish are also allergic to snails....so actually it is a reasonable substitute, likely by accident.

Ugh, Sarafinadh, I think you have put me off snails. The essence of snail ref made me think of the slime trail and I can't get it out of my head.

Ooh, how about baked garlic cloves in the butter olive oil mixture then any alergies are circumvented :D

Cheers, h.

Many/most who are allergic to shellfish are also allergic to snails....so actually it is a reasonable substitute, likely by accident.

NOT TRUE...my DH is highly allergice to shellfish but escargot has never been as issue and he is not a happy camper that's it gone!!!

Yup...no I've ever met eats escargot for the taste/consistency of snails....they eat it for the butter and garlic. They could put scallops, mushrooms, oysters, clams in that butter/garlic sauce and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

My biggest disappointment with the snails was that they were served without shells. I had this vision of Julia Roberts.....

Well, I haven't met you in person, but I LOVE escargot and have had them other ways besides in garlic butter. Hope Solstice managed to come up with some next week!

As has been reported in other food threads, Celebrity says that they are having supplier issues and the escargot are off the menu until that gets straightened out They are blaming dry conditions in the supply area, but what the OP wrote is just as plausible. Anyway, for the time being there are no escargot. Time will tell if they return to the menu.

Maybe they could breed their own at the Lawn Club on S class ships - no suppliers or dry conditions to be worry about ;)

There were these two snails, sitting by the kerbside watching cars drive psst. One snail saya to the other, "Hey Merve, Hey Merve, you know, one day I will have myself a fancy car too. Painted in black no less. On the hood I will have in gold paint a large letter S. On the doors I will have in gold paint a large letter S and on the back yet another large letter S". Merve turns around to hie pall and says "so waddya want to do that for"? "well you see, every time I drive around the hood, people will say WOW, look at that S-Car-Go".

GROAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

Thank you, thank you ghstudio! In all the years I've carefully avoided mollusks, I never ever considered avoiding snails. Never thought about snails being mollusks, but you are absolutely correct (I googled around a little). I may have lucked out the one and only time I've eaten them and, maybe I'm being overly dramatic, you may have saved my life.

Betsy

Greetings

On the 05 March Equinox cruise there was not a snail to be found anywhere on the ship. I even asked the Matre d and exec chef about them, not available they both said. I did try the mushroom caps and I agree that they are not very good. If there was crab there, I couldn't find it.

Good sailing

Tom

The luttle buggers are famous for walking out of stuffing. :D Some restaurants can't seem to keep them in at all. :rolleyes:

Thank you, thank you ghstudio! In all the years I've carefully avoided mollusks, I never ever considered avoiding snails. Never thought about snails being mollusks, but you are absolutely correct (I googled around a little). I may have lucked out the one and only time I've eaten them and, maybe I'm being overly dramatic, you may have saved my life.

Betsy

Betsy-

You should ask your doc...my DH is VERY allergic to crab/lobster/clams..etc...but loves escargot and eats them many times on each sailing.... never a problem.... different kind of mollusk I guess...

Thanks, Gracie. Will do. The sites I googled indicated that both land and sea snails can cause reactions in those allergic to mollusks. Even if the risk is small, I'm not sure I'd want to take a chance.

Betsy

Crab and lobster are crustacians, clams and scallops are bi valves, snails, conch and abalone are mollusks. Might be part of it.

The Daughter is allergic to scallops and is fine with mussles and clams so i guess its not always straightforward.

I am deathly allergic to mushroms and not bothered at all by truffles...

Archived