Unable to donate blood for a year!

montekat

I was recently called by our local blood bank as I am O Neg and am considered a universal donor. I was denied due to the fact that we went on the Allure in Sept. with a stop in Labadee. Haiti is totally off limits for the blood bank for a full year after going there. Oh well, after Sept. I can again be called when there is a need.

I commend you for donating for starters. I would say be happy its just for a year though. I myself am unable to donate because i am considered a high risk donor. I lived in Europe during the time they had a big scare over mad cow disease. May have had some bad beef. I swear though, i have yet to arbitrarily moo!

Count us in on the UK Mad Cow situation. We lived in Scotland from 85-88 with the AF, so we can now never donate.

What I don't understand is whether this prevents UK citizens from donating in the UK?

Yes UK citizens are allowed to donate in the UK:) However we are questioned on our travel movements within the USA - something about West Nile Virus:confused: and aren't accepted if we were in certain areas at certain times of the year..

Unless things have changed within the past year, this regulation must vary by state. When I have stated that I've been in Haiti, I was asked if it was in a tourist area. When I told them the circumstances and that it was a restricted area used by the cruise line, I was told to roll up my sleeve. As long as I was in a tourist area and not among the general population it was okay.

It must indeed vary by state because I tried to donate blood in Ohio and was told I couldn't even though I hadn't even gone on shore at labadee. I was told but can't vouch for accuracy, that it was because they do not spray for mosquitos and there is concern with malaria.

Went to Punta Cana. 1 year no donation. I wish they could mark that on your record or something so they quit calling me.

Thats what Im saying! Glad to know Im not the only one they hound. Somehow they did note it on my record when I had an "inability" to donate, but they sure do call me 4 times a week now that I dont want to donate (due to my inability to stay warm/fully recover for almost 48 hours afterward... I already have that problem in winter as it is...)

I wish I could donate, however I am not allowed to. I have been in a committed relationship for 5+ years, but because I'm gay, I'm not allowed to donate. Yet our heterosexual counterparts can have multiple partners and not have a problem. Still doesn't make any sense to me, but the rules are the rules.

Makes me so ANGRY! :mad:

It must indeed vary by state because I tried to donate blood in Ohio and was told I couldn't even though I hadn't even gone on shore at labadee. I was told but can't vouch for accuracy, that it was because they do not spray for mosquitos and there is concern with malaria.

Agree..this is probably the reason...I believe this all started after their earthquake and epidemic of malaria.

I wish I could donate, however I am not allowed to. I have been in a committed relationship for 5+ years, but because I'm gay, I'm not allowed to donate. Yet our heterosexual counterparts can have multiple partners and not have a problem. Still doesn't make any sense to me, but the rules are the rules.

Agree..very unfair rule...I read somewhere that the UK was going to lift the ban, but not in the US.

I cannot donate blood because I had jaundice that went into hepatitus (from mono in 1980). But I checked the Oklahoma Blood Institute's website out of curiosity:

If I’ve recently traveled to Mexico on vacation can I donate? Yes, if you stayed within the confines of a tourist or resort area while vacationing in Cancun or Cozumel. This is the case for most major cruise destinations. Please check any specific locale with the screener at time of donation or call 877-340-8777.

I didn't see any other travel destinations mentioned but I'm sure a screener would be much more specific.

That's interesting. I have never heard this before. Seems a little backwards to me. I assume because when Aids first came on the scene people believed it was transmitted by gay people? Did they give a reason why? I'm just curious as it seems stupid to not allow when so many people are in need.

Getting your ears pierced puts you out for six months!!! Just saying.

Tattoos...anything with a needle even if it's sterile! I'm glad they are so strict, especially if I'm on the receiving end of that blood transfusion. That and they test it for EVERYTHING!!! :D

Thanks for being a donor...I try to donate as often as possible, but as I get older my counts have been low myself so they tell me I need to hang on to as much of mine as possible...lol..

Mrs E needs blood transfusions of 2-3 units every three or four weeks. We appreciate all those that have donated.

We also understand the frustration of those that are not allowed to donate.

After having a bad reaction to one of the transfusions, we know first hand of the concerns and reasons behind some of the restrictions.

I can't donate because of being married to Mrs. E. and she has been on some really toxic phase 1 clinical trials. I know what some of those trials did to her. I would never want to chance exposing someone else to those possible reactions.

Please, if you are not allowed to donate, don't take it personally. The thought really does count. Not telling the truth of where you have been may allow you to donate. And that might make you feel better. But consider the effects on those that depend on safe donations.

Thanks again to all those that donate, or try to. :):):):):)

Agreed! My destinations haven't stopped me from donating yet, but I would understand if they did. It's for the health of those who will be receiving the blood. My dad died of cancer last week. During his sickness, he had to receive a lot of blood and platelets, so I am also very appreciative for those who donate. Just do what you can! :)

I live in Canada. I too am a universal donor who is in very high demand, but I too cannot donate because I just visited Labadee. In Canada there is 12 month waiting period after visiting. I just ended my 12 month waiting period from when I visited Roatan last March. I wonder if I will encounter the same problem when I visit St. Thomas, Nassau, and St. Maarten next March?

I didn't have a problem donating after my cruise to St. Thomas, Coco Cay, and St. Maarten. Of course you would need to find out if your donation center has restrictions, but mine didn't.

The restrictions from the Carribbean are for the risk of malaria. Mayan ruins are on the list. Some countries are a bigger risk than others. I asked my doctor if it could really take a year for malaria to be a problem. He thought for a while and said yes it could.

The rules are there for a reason.

They aren't real happy with me. I'm O-neg/CMV-neg and no risk group. They REALLY want what I have. Except for some visits.

If wondering, telephone your local blood center and ask to speak to the MD who supervises such things. I was able to give a list of all the places, down to the town level, that I had visited in Africa and can now donate again after time has passed.

Don't depend on the opinion of the person who answers the telephone.

I went to donate blood last month and was told that I could not donate because the cruise had gone to Cozumel. Mexico was not on the list of countries shown in the blood drives literature however the red cross member in charge said that it had been recently added.

My wife went to donate recently and was told it was ok for her to donate because we had only gone to Mexico as part of a cruise.

I guess it come down to what blood donationn group is doing the collecting or who is in charge.

Aussies who spent more than 6 months in Europe pre-1986 or British expats like me are permanently banned from donating blood. Apparently we are all mad cow ticking time bombs. :rolleyes: It's puzzling because I don't see Europe being laid waste by the disease so either it's ridiculous scare mongering or there's something we aren't being told!!!

I was recently called by our local blood bank as I am O Neg and am considered a universal donor. I was denied due to the fact that we went on the Allure in Sept. with a stop in Labadee. Haiti is totally off limits for the blood bank for a full year after going there. Oh well, after Sept. I can again be called when there is a need.

I'm A neg and DD is O neg so the blood bank often calls us too. We weren't allowed to donate for a year after our Mexican Riviera cruise. Ports were Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas.

This is an interesting thread. I have been wondering for some time what percentage of people are unable to donate. With the current rage for tattoos among the young it must be very high.

My whole family cannot donate because we lived in France for a year (Mad Cow!).

I hear if you sail to Mexico your not eligible either. Sorry....

I'm in Coz and Progresso several times a year and I've never been denied......I have AB neg, but wouldn't think that would make any difference.......

That's precisely the point - UK donations go to UK residents (as far as I know no other countries will take UK blood products still), who broadly speaking are already at risk of vCJD, so the added risk from the transfusion doesn't increase the risk too much, compared to the many lives saved daily.

Blood services operate way in the highly improbable/very high impact risk area. As the previous poster with direct experience illustrated, "almost certainly" ain't nearly good enough for them.

Good news is that it looks as if a test for vCJD (please, not "Mad Cow") is being developed to the point of being used clinically.

I've sadly watched two friend dies of vCJD......very rapid deterioration......totally unexpected......and the manner of infection was never determined on either of them....

I think, the really strict rules are understandable - because the blood goes to people who got med to suppress their immunsystem (after a transplantation) oder people with leukaemia or immuncompromised persons (after chemotherapy).

So they try to avoid everything possible - even if the risk is very low.

So I have no sympathy for blood donors (I read that in another thread with the same subject!) who lie about their traveltrips to get no rejection.

I am sure - the risk is very low for healthy people - but an ill person could die...

So I would accept the rules - how illogical it seems to me.

Wendy

IN the UK, the West Nile Virus 4 week limit isn't just for visiting the US, it also applies if you've visited certain European countries at certain times of the year. Can't remember which ones though..

Just checked the UK Blood Service website and they have now changed their policy on WNV, you no longer have to wait 4 weeks to donate. You, just can't donate if you've been diagnosed with WNV.

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/west-nile-virus/

These are also the countries we're affected by for WNV.

Visiting USA, Canada, Greece, Italy, Romania, Israel, Albania, Turkey, Russia

or FYR Macedonia?

Archived