Unable to donate blood for a year!

montekat

We returned from a cruise that visited Labadee last week. The Red Cross of Central Ohio called my DH for a blood drive the next day. Knowing the restrictions, he told them about our cruise. They asked him where we were at in Haiti. After answering, they confirmed he was deferred. Out of curiosity, he asked if anyplace in Haiti was exempted. They said no, the location was simply requested for record keeping.

"What if I don't get off the ship?" Guess I will have to check with my donor center here and see what their regulations are to know for sure.

Thanks for bringing this up Montekat, wouldn't have given it much thought on the cruise.

In California, even if you don't get off the ship, you still can't donate for a year. DH is 20 gallon donor and I'm 10 gallon donor and we cannot give for a year because of Labadee.

It may be different in another state.

When I read this I was thinking 'Are you kidding me!' and perhaps somehow you were joking.......and then I read similar posts ...... Wow... I wonder why? Since everyone who lives here who may have been at the same 'Mad cow risk' as you can give blood?:confused:

That's precisely the point - UK donations go to UK residents (as far as I know no other countries will take UK blood products still), who broadly speaking are already at risk of vCJD, so the added risk from the transfusion doesn't increase the risk too much, compared to the many lives saved daily.

Blood services operate way in the highly improbable/very high impact risk area. As the previous poster with direct experience illustrated, "almost certainly" ain't nearly good enough for them.

Good news is that it looks as if a test for vCJD (please, not "Mad Cow") is being developed to the point of being used clinically.

Just got past the one year wait for having visited Santo Domingo last March, and while giving a pint just this last Tuesday was told we will have to wait another year since we are visiting Belize and Roatan next month.

I was recently called by our local blood bank as I am O Neg and am considered a universal donor. I was denied due to the fact that we went on the Allure in Sept. with a stop in Labadee. Haiti is totally off limits for the blood bank for a full year after going there. Oh well, after Sept. I can again be called when there is a need.

that happened to us in another country - before we left it was ok and when we got backit was added to the list so no blood for a yr.

Yes, others have complained about this too...did they mention if you stayed onboard if it would make any difference?

My DH is on the marrow registry, and I had a cousin who needed a BM transplant, but DH had been to Labadee and couldn't even be considered. Turns out her brother was a perfect match anyway.

Seems silly, as the biggest concern is the very high hepatitis B and HIV rate there, and how much trouble can someone get into while there for 4 hours:rolleyes: What IS going on behind that craft market anyway;)

they told us it is ok if you stay onboard, it is only if you get off the ship

I completely understand your frustration. It seems a shame that while the blood banks are crying out for volunteers that many are unable to donate for some of these reasons. Of course...I understand the need to be careful with Hepatitis and HIV as well as other diseases having the possibility of being transferred, but sometimes I think things are taken way too far. Are bloods not tested before they are used for a patient?

Not to get into a political discussion or debate, but being a gay man I am considered a Lifelong Non-Donor. I had donated over 4 gallons before this rule was put into place. Even though I have remained celibate for over 7 years and have negative HIV and STD results, that still makes no difference. There are literally tens of thousands of people who can't donate because of some of these archaic rules. Meanwhile...people are dying.

Again...I apologize for stepping up on my soapbox but I just felt that I had to add my 2 cents. I'm stepping down now. Have a great day, all!

I agree with you!

The first time I tried to donate, I was turned away because my eczema had flared up in the ante-cubital zone.

Then, several years later, I was turned away because 3 months prior, I had taken an antibiotic that is also used to treat an STD. I was very clear in stating that I had been tested and did NOT have the disease, and even allowed them to see the negative results of the test. I still was not allowed to donate.

Yet, the last time I donated they asked me if I had come into contact with the blood of another individual. I responded "yes" because in dentistry, exposure occurs daily. I was permitted to donate, because I use standard precautions. (This, to me, seemed like a bigger risk, as I worry about accidental exposure all the time.)

As others have said, I wonder if these regulations vary by state and/or organization.

Unless things have changed within the past year, this regulation must vary by state. When I have stated that I've been in Haiti, I was asked if it was in a tourist area. When I told them the circumstances and that it was a restricted area used by the cruise line, I was told to roll up my sleeve. As long as I was in a tourist area and not among the general population it was okay.

My husband was told last month he could not donate for a year also here in VA. I wonder if it interpretation by the worker. He is O neg and has donated several times a year for many years. This is the first time he has not donated.

I live in Canada. I too am a universal donor who is in very high demand, but I too cannot donate because I just visited Labadee. In Canada there is 12 month waiting period after visiting. I just ended my 12 month waiting period from when I visited Roatan last March. I wonder if I will encounter the same problem when I visit St. Thomas, Nassau, and St. Maarten next March?

It must be just certain areas in Mexico, I cruised to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta in March and just donated yesterday in San Diego for the American Red Cross. I stated I had been out of the United States during the last three years but only on that cruise. The nurse asked specifically where I visited in Mexico but I was allowed to donate.

I wish I could donate, however I am not allowed to. I have been in a committed relationship for 5+ years, but because I'm gay, I'm not allowed to donate. Yet our heterosexual counterparts can have multiple partners and not have a problem. Still doesn't make any sense to me, but the rules are the rules.

Why?

Swine flu. :p Seriously, though, I have no clue!

I can't donate ever due to medical conditions, but it's kind of scary to think that if I needed something my family couldn't provide it for me and vice versa. We all traveled to Labadee together!

I was recently called by our local blood bank as I am O Neg and am considered a universal donor. I was denied due to the fact that we went on the Allure in Sept. with a stop in Labadee. Haiti is totally off limits for the blood bank for a full year after going there. Oh well, after Sept. I can again be called when there is a need.

I had the same problem but for my trouble of coming out they gave me a t shirt, and for a cold kick of irony the t shirt was made in Haiti

Originally Posted by Wendy-Europe viewpost.gif

Funny thing - in Germany you were not allowed to donor blood for 4 weeks after you travel to the United States....

(6 month after a Canada trip....)

Why?

I remember for US it was "Risk of West Nile Virus"....

Don´t know, what the risk for Canada was....

I read the rules for donoring blood - in most cases they deny for the risk of malaria (6 -12 month)

For North America and Mexico the rule is:

If you visit the area with West-Nil-Virus WNV between 1. June and 30. November, no blood donor for 4 weeks

applies for:

- North american Kontinent

- Mexiko

Som organisations do not ask when you travel, they just ask if....

In Asia and Afrika it is Malaria and Chikungunya-Virus

If you use Roaccutan during the last 3 years (against acne) - no donor for 3 years!

And many other reasons (it is an 8 page fact sheet.....)

Wendy

I read the rules for donoring blood - in most cases they deny for the risk of malaria (6 -12 month)

If you visit the area with West-Nil-Virus WNV between 1. June and 30. November, no blood donor for 4 weeks

applies for:

- Mexiko

If you use Roaccutan during the last 3 years (against acne) - no donor for 3 years!

Wendy

We have the same rule in England after visits to the US, no donations for 4 weeks because of West Nile virus.

Julie

applies for:

- Mexiko

Wendy

I don't know anyone who has ever had West Nile. I doubt anyone in Haiti can say they don't know someone who has had malaria. It's just an interesting reason considering West Nile also exists in Europe and is a fairly new disease to the US.

Archived