Unable to donate blood for a year!

montekat

I was recently called by our local blood bank as I am O Neg and am considered a universal donor. I was denied due to the fact that we went on the Allure in Sept. with a stop in Labadee. Haiti is totally off limits for the blood bank for a full year after going there. Oh well, after Sept. I can again be called when there is a need.

I was recently called by our local blood bank as I am O Neg and am considered a universal donor. I was denied due to the fact that we went on the Allure in Sept. with a stop in Labadee. Haiti is totally off limits for the blood bank for a full year after going there. Oh well, after Sept. I can again be called when there is a need.

I hear if you sail to Mexico your not eligible either. Sorry....

Yes, others have complained about this too...did they mention if you stayed onboard if it would make any difference?

My DH is on the marrow registry, and I had a cousin who needed a BM transplant, but DH had been to Labadee and couldn't even be considered. Turns out her brother was a perfect match anyway.

Seems silly, as the biggest concern is the very high hepatitis B and HIV rate there, and how much trouble can someone get into while there for 4 hours:rolleyes: What IS going on behind that craft market anyway;)

We were excluded for a year both when we went to Haiti and Jamaica...I think most the other Caribbean islands were ok. Only certain parts of Jamaica are excluded...if you are staying at one of the big all-inclusives you are ok, but if you leave the resort, you cannot donate. So, the mosquitoes in Jamaica do not fly into the resort areas...pretty smart mosquitoes!!

By the way, thanks for being a blood donor...as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist, I see firsthand that your donation saves lives...everyday...everywhere...

Unless things have changed within the past year, this regulation must vary by state. When I have stated that I've been in Haiti, I was asked if it was in a tourist area. When I told them the circumstances and that it was a restricted area used by the cruise line, I was told to roll up my sleeve. As long as I was in a tourist area and not among the general population it was okay.

Thanks for bringing this up. I used to donate regularly, but as of the last time (~2 years?) any part of Riviera Maya Mexico was out-now that's here in Illinois, not sure why it varies state to state. I'm hoping it's changed since I last went, but it's good for others to know-donate before your trip!!!

I completely understand your frustration. It seems a shame that while the blood banks are crying out for volunteers that many are unable to donate for some of these reasons. Of course...I understand the need to be careful with Hepatitis and HIV as well as other diseases having the possibility of being transferred, but sometimes I think things are taken way too far. Are bloods not tested before they are used for a patient?

Not to get into a political discussion or debate, but being a gay man I am considered a Lifelong Non-Donor. I had donated over 4 gallons before this rule was put into place. Even though I have remained celibate for over 7 years and have negative HIV and STD results, that still makes no difference. There are literally tens of thousands of people who can't donate because of some of these archaic rules. Meanwhile...people are dying.

Again...I apologize for stepping up on my soapbox but I just felt that I had to add my 2 cents. I'm stepping down now. Have a great day, all!

This is nothing new in the UK. I worked for the Blood Transfusion Centre in the late

1980's and they had already begun refusing blood from people who had visited Haiti (and a couple of other places which I can't remember). It is a shame that all of these potential donors are being turned away but better that than passing on HIV in blood transfusions.

Gill

Again...I apologize for stepping up on my soapbox but I just felt that I had to add my 2 cents. I'm stepping down now. Have a great day, all!

Absolutely no need for an apology.

I appreciate your contribution.

That is why my DH does not give blood any more. We are down in the islands at least once a year.

I lived in London England for 18 months, and I can never give again. Mad Cow and all that. Was at a gallon and a half when they changed the rule years ago.

When I read this I was thinking 'Are you kidding me!' and perhaps somehow you were joking.......and then I read similar posts ...... Wow... I wonder why? Since everyone who lives here who may have been at the same 'Mad cow risk' as you can give blood?:confused:

I lived in Germany for 6 years, I can never give...that whole Mad Cow thing.

Strange how things are different in every country, I live in France: I was turned away this January because we were in Labadee in December, but I only have to wait for 4 months before I am elegible to donate again.

You lived in Germany for only 6 years, I grew up there, and I was able to donate in Germany, the US (Florida) and France, noone even mentioned mad cows to me.

They told me 4 months for Labadee because there is a certain laps of time when you can carry malaria and other diseases found in Labadee before they can be detected in your blood. So they do test your blood before giving it to someone else, but the tests would not be conclusive for 4 months after a potential infection.

In Iowa, Roatan is on the no donation for a year list, too. We have a guy at work who regularly gives and he called the Blood Bank before he booked his cruise. It determined which one he picked.

I lived in London England for 18 months, and I can never give again. Mad Cow and all that. Was at a gallon and a half when they changed the rule years ago.

I am in a similar position. The specific Red Cross standard that applies to me [for service in the UK, the time frame (I believe) extends to 1996]is:

[You are indefinitely deferred if:]

You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames

• From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany

It happens that my last months in Germany were January to August 1980, so I just fit into the deferred criteria. Interestingly, I gave at least a few times after I returned from Germany before the deferral was imposed. Perhaps someday the deferral will be lifted.

I was denied due to the fact that we went on the Allure in Sept. with a stop in Labadee.

When I said that I had been to Haiti, they SPECIFICALLY asked if I had been to Labadee aboard a cruise. When I said yes, they said that it was OK to donate.

I was denied because I had been to Belize. I think they had also said Costa Maya (where I had also stopped on the same cruise) was also a no-no, but I'm not sure. What I do know is that the Red Cross wouldn't take my highly sought-after O-Negative blood for a full year before I was eligible to donate again.

Only certain parts of Jamaica are excluded...if you are staying at one of the big all-inclusives you are ok, but if you leave the resort, you cannot donate. So, the mosquitoes in Jamaica do not fly into the resort areas...pretty smart mosquitoes!!

Very smart! I'm still working on "stay" with my dog.

Mrs E needs blood transfusions of 2-3 units every three or four weeks. We appreciate all those that have donated.

We also understand the frustration of those that are not allowed to donate.

After having a bad reaction to one of the transfusions, we know first hand of the concerns and reasons behind some of the restrictions.

I can't donate because of being married to Mrs. E. and she has been on some really toxic phase 1 clinical trials. I know what some of those trials did to her. I would never want to chance exposing someone else to those possible reactions.

Please, if you are not allowed to donate, don't take it personally. The thought really does count. Not telling the truth of where you have been may allow you to donate. And that might make you feel better. But consider the effects on those that depend on safe donations.

Thanks again to all those that donate, or try to. :):):):):):)

I was asked about my travels to Mexico. But I was allowed based on the fact that I didn't leave the main tourist areas (like going farther inland). I took the exotic west caribbean and as soon as I said Roatan:eek:, it was over for me for a year.

DH had melanoma about 8 years ago. At that time he was told he could never donate again (he used to give as often as was allowed-his blood was used in pediatrics a lot because he didnt' have a particular antibody). A few years ago, they changed the rule that after so much time cancer free he could donate. We had just gone on a cruise that took us to Belize which meant no, then we've been to Labadee 3 times since then and Jamaica last year. He's pretty much given up on giving as we have two more cruises with trips to Labadee in the next year. There's been malaria in FL, so it's not limited to those few locations.

Most, if not all resorts spray for mosquitoes, so a lot less likely to be bitten there. Mosquitoes live most of their lives in a very small area.

Archived