Mariner Disappointment

geg

Sorry to hear about your bad experience on the Mariner of the Seas. I went on the Mariner in March, 2004 and had a fabulous time!!!!!! The food was fabulous (especially the steak restaurant/Chops?) and I found that my cabin steward/waiter were extremely competant and did whatever they could to make our vacation as pleasurable as possible.

I believe that there can be a bad cruise from time to time, even on a ship that is normally excellent. I think we've all had vacations, cruises or otherwise, that started out badly and had enough negative things happen that all we looked for was other negative things for the rest of the trip. Being a really moody person myself, I can totally understand being put off by a few things and then being grouchy for the next few days. Just ask my DH. :o Seriously though, geg did start out by describing the positive points, and I think it's quite possible that a short supply of wine/towels/breakfast items/food/etc. could happen. Especially after reading a string of reviews about the Pride of Aloha! If I didn't see a certain number of negative or ambivalent reviews on Cruise Critic, I wouldn't bother coming here for information, because I'd find it hard to believe that everything about every cruise ship was perfect all the time. I'd rather have a heads-up about things to take into consideration when planning a vacation. Conversely, if I had a bad experience, I'd probably post it here to see if people thought I was being unfair in my judgement, or whether I had a valid reason to complain to the company. Being flamed for voicing my opinion wouldn't encourage me to use the board in the future. And yes, I read Whysobad's thread. We're not talking about the same thing here.

That said, let the flaming begin!

Guest OBAYbee
OBAYbee......so you actually believe that scrambled egg or no-option omelet is all RCCI serve for breakfast?

Liz

There a few things wrong with your assessment of this CC member's review.

First off, and since you ask, he said they only offered two types of eggs from ROOM SERVICE. I totally believe that.

Secondly, you misquoted him. He said "Accommodations: we had a Suite wit an adjoining suite on the 9th floor. Our two children shared the adjoining room"

YOUR interpretation of his quote: "Bit confused with .....they had a suite and with an adjoining suite and their children shared an adjoining room...and they go on to say extra charges for late night childrens activities....well that only happens with younger children.....so how could young children have a suite to themselves?"

Call his post a bunch of twaddle?? I just find that rude.

It's not our job to separate the truth from fiction. As adults we read a review and take from it what we find useful and disregard the rest. Not spend an entire page blasting the guy.

Give the guy a break.

OBAYbee

"Room service was a joke. For breakfast you had to stay with a scrambled egg or omelet pre chosen for you, anything else was not available. If you wanted day time service only fruit plates and cheese plates were available, anything else requested was returned with a NO! "

Excuse me perhaps it is you who is not reading the OP's posting correctly.

We always our breakfast from Room service.....and I can tell you this from experience there is most definetly alot more than just the two above mentioned items available.

Also in the day and late at night we use Room service and there is an extensive menu to choose from.

Accommodations: we had a Suite wit an adjoining suite on the 9th floor. Our two children shared the adjoining room"

they had a suite and with an adjoining suite and their children shared an adjoining room...ooops I put "an" instead of "the"....oh and I remembered the "t" in with.:D

Oh and you call me rude but you dont attack any of the other posters here who agree that this OP's posting sounds false.

I.... like ever else on here is entitled to my opinion....and my opinion is still....what a load of twaddle.

Elizanessie

I do think some of the information in here doesn't match up. I find some of the things hard to believe and some (such as the room service issue) to be false. Of course, I wasn't there so I can't say this didn't happen. I can say that I won't let this poster's opinion deter me in the least from my vacation. It is though unfortunate if this information is deliberately misleading or false that other newcomers (whose well being some people seem to be very concerned for) could read this information and not have anything to judge against it and be persuaded not to cruise at all or with RC.

However, count me in the suspicious group because while I think almost everyone here welcomes newcomers....newcomers usually seem to be posting questions about the planning of their cruise with their first post NOT posting a negative review with their first post.

jules71

If you appreciate the post then perhaps you could explain how does one.....embark on the 17th April and return on the 14th April.....excuse me but the Mariner does 7 night cruises and although they do back to back cruises........... they dont going backwards in time for goodness sake.!!!!!!!

Liz

my god...it was probably a typo. I knew right when I read the first line of the OP's post, people would jump on him and say "TROLL!! YOU CAN'T GO BACK IN TIME!"

food is subjective and if this person did not like the food, then that's his choice.

I don't understand why so many people get flamed when they post a bad review..that's the case on EVERY board.

and let me ask you this...if the OP made grammatical errors but said the cruise was EXCELLENT AND THE BEST ONE EVER, would you then be nitpicking the post? I believe not.

Grow up.

There a few things wrong with your assessment of this CC member's review.

First off, and since you ask, he said they only offered two types of eggs from ROOM SERVICE. I totally believe that.

Secondly, you misquoted him. He said "Accommodations: we had a Suite wit an adjoining suite on the 9th floor. Our two children shared the adjoining room"

YOUR interpretation of his quote: "Bit confused with .....they had a suite and with an adjoining suite and their children shared an adjoining room...and they go on to say extra charges for late night childrens activities....well that only happens with younger children.....so how could young children have a suite to themselves?"

Call his post a bunch of twaddle?? I just find that rude.

It's not our job to separate the truth from fiction. As adults we read a review and take from it what we find useful and disregard the rest. Not spend an entire page blasting the guy.

Give the guy a break.

AMEN

I'm sure everyone has good and bad experiences on cruises. I, personally appreciate an honest review with the good and the bad. I just think this person would be more believable if they actually followed up on the thread instead of just a post-'n-run. :rolleyes:

I'm sure everyone has good and bad experiences on cruises. I, personally appreciate an honest review with the good and the bad. I just think this person would be more believable if they actually followed up on the thread instead of just a post-'n-run. :rolleyes:

exactly, geg come out come out where ever you are!!!!!!!!

NJcruiser21

I certainly did not pick on this post for grammar errors...that is not allowed on CC.

I do not pick on bad reviews.....there are lots of bad reviews on here....as I already stated ...everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

When you spend as much of your day and night as I do on this site....you get an eye for false reviews and threads.

I dont need to be told to grow up....actually I am happy as a 44 yr old thanks.

Elizanessie

However, count me in the suspicious group because while I think almost everyone here welcomes newcomers....newcomers usually seem to be posting questions about the planning of their cruise with their first post NOT posting a negative review with their first post.

I totally agree - I chalked up the date to a typo. I also find it strange that a first post is a negative review. It seems logical that anyone who uses a site like this is in the planning stages, not the review stages. Call me crazy.

We had a bathroom difficulty on one cruise and they fixed it the same day. The towels seem strange - I would be calling housekeeping on a continual basis if that happened to me. I also recall on every single cruise I have been on that shrimp cocktail and some sort of filet have been an option every single night. Also, on every single cruise room service gives options on eggs cooked any style and omelettes to order. I have NEVER seen a room service situation such as the one described.

If I seem suspicious, my apologies to the OP. If this did indeed happen, I would send your comments to the cruise line rather than post once and only once to a cruise information board. I used this board as a great resource when I was new to cruising and found lots of great information.

NJcruiser21

I certainly did not pick on this post for grammar errors...that is not allowed on CC.

I do not pick on bad reviews.....there are lots of bad reviews on here....as I already stated ...everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

When you spend as much of your day and night as I do on this site....you get an eye for false reviews and threads.

Elizanessie

But you did pick on the grammatical errors..I remember reading one of your replies "I actually included the T in with" or something along those lines. and the "cruise backwards" post. I think it's clear the OP hit a 1 instead of a 2.

yes everyone is entitled to their own opinions..it seems you should take that advice and run with it.

but this is all my opinion, of course.

Best Regards,

Tim

Most trolls post and disappear....

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

One question though, if the MAriner is so bad, why does it always seem pretty full??

ski

Speaking of new posters, does anyone know what may of happened to my 500+ posts I had last year. I know I had not posted at all in 05' before returning from my cruise but jeesh, did I have to lose all my numbers and look like a newbie all over again. At least nobody has managed to flame me, yet.

NJcruiser21

Elizanessie

Maybe you need to get a life, if you spend much of your day and nights on this site.

I have to agree that they only offer either scrambled eggs or omlete. They also have yogurt, fruit and juices for room service breakfast.

On our Hawaii cruise last Sept, I ordered room service breakfast everymorning and that's all they had.

Everyone has there likes and dislikes, and I think we should respect that. Not everyone likes the "huge" ships.

But if all new posters get treated like this OP did, than soon no one will post a review.

Speaking of new posters, does anyone know what may of happened to my 500+ posts I had last year. I know I had not posted at all in 05' before returning from my cruise but jeesh, did I have to lose all my numbers and look like a newbie all over again. At least nobody has managed to flame me, yet.

NJcruiser21

Did you not see the smile where I put the bit in about the missing T.....that is the reason when I first mentioned the details I didnt copy and paste the OP's statement....I didnt want to comment on his grammatical errors...I wouldnt do that to anyone.....as to the date thing.....later I realised that yes they could have meant to put a 2 instead of a 1...heck we all make mistakes....(I have a new laptop this week and even my spelling is all to heck for some reason).

The past few weeks we on here have had some brilliant reviews...including live ones....about the Mariner......but this one is just so full of bad things...I like many others do not believe this to be a real review......have you seen just how many strange/weird/false/advertising threads have been on here in the past few weeks.

I have on occasions not always behaved perhaps as I should on here...hence my disappearance for few months here.....but I am truly against false threads....and no I am not a big loyal fan of RCCI....I know they make mistakes....hey I have been cruising when they have....I did not post to start arguements ...I posted to point out the falseness of the OP's statement....the lack of selection at breakfast etc.

Elizanessie

Ever notice that the people that do complain about stuff have just joined and it is their 1st or 2nd posts? Seems to me that people would join way before a cruise to find out all they can and then maybe after a bad cruise could posts their problems..not saying that they didn't have problems but just seems to throw a red flag up

Paul

I don´t know if this review is for real or not, however I´m getting suspicious too if I read a review stating such strange things and in addition are first time and never again posters. However of course it can happen to just find CC after the cruise.

However I doubt the towel issue as well as the room service issue. If I wouldn´t get towels for three days and I doubt this happened for real, I could live with this (I don´t change towels twice a day at home). On the other hand I would just walk up to the pol and grab some towels from there. This is just my opinion and of course I have no proof for it not happening.

Regarding the dining room:

At dinner one night my wife did not like the choices; she requested a simple shrimp cocktail and prime rib, but was told this was impossible, she must stay with the menu or go to the buffet.

I see nothing wrong with this. If there is no shrimp cocktail or prime rib on the menu I can ask for it but not expect it to be done, especially on such a short notice. I maybe wrong but I don´t think a prime rib can be prepared in just a few minutes please correct me if I´m wrong on this.

If politely asked it may could have been arranged for one of the upcoming days.

I also doubt that the photos didn´t stay until the last day of the cruise. Again just my opinion without any proof.

Earthling: The counters were reset after the boards moved to this new format and url. I was almost up to 2,000 posts. The new posters who are doubted usually have single digits for their number of posts--the ones who appear out of nowhere with a bad review. I think a lot of them may have posted under different user IDs before their cruises but come back here with bad reviews under a new user ID. Others may create a new user ID just to make things up to start controversies.

The boards were reformated and all posters that had registered before a certain date, lost their old post.

Example, who wants to eat lamb or duck in the buffet at lunchtime?
I would along with a good salad and maybe a little icecream afterward! :D

Archived