Mariner Disappointment

geg

I'm always a little suspicious of someone whose first post is a slag of a cruise, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're *all* trolls.

I've seen a few posts like "Wow, I wish I'd found this site before I went on my cruise, I could've saved money/visited that place/etc. etc." Obviously they didn't post until after they'd traveled.

Anyway, what posts like this do prove (at least to me) is that you catch a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar.

The world's full of sourballs. I see it all the time in my job. I'm a writer, and nothing I do pleases everyone.

As I often say, "Some people would complain if we gave them $50 and a car wash."

kpalmer7

I certainly have a life thanks...up till recently as a stay at home mum...and now as my business is online...I am able to go cruising the boards here many many hours of the day/night......and I love it:D

Oh and you can get Bacon and danish pastries and tons more other things for breakfast from Room Service.....how do you think I get my teenager out of bed in the morning.....he loves the RCCI bacon:D

Liz

I have to disagree with the nay-sayers on this one. I think it's legit. If a troll would have posted it, it would have been perfectly worded, and written, because they would have read over it before they posted it. I think this is someone, who's second language is English. Someone from another country perhaps.

This time, nothing in their review seemed that far out of reality, and there was another poster who said the same thing.

I noticed the date the first time I looked at it, and I think it was a type-o as well.

Must we always assume that people with ONE post are trolls? Maybe they didn't find out about the board until they cruised. Maybe they met people onboard who told them about it, and to post review here.....yah think?

Besides, not all of the review was bad....as in most people's who have an axe to ring with RCI.

NJcruiser21

Did you not see the smile where I put the bit in about the missing T.....that is the reason when I first mentioned the details I didnt copy and paste the OP's statement....I didnt want to comment on his grammatical errors...I wouldnt do that to anyone.....as to the date thing.....later I realised that yes they could have meant to put a 2 instead of a 1...heck we all make mistakes....(I have a new laptop this week and even my spelling is all to heck for some reason).

The past few weeks we on here have had some brilliant reviews...including live ones....about the Mariner......but this one is just so full of bad things...I like many others do not believe this to be a real review......have you seen just how many strange/weird/false/advertising threads have been on here in the past few weeks.

I have on occasions not always behaved perhaps as I should on here...hence my disappearance for few months here.....but I am truly against false threads....and no I am not a big loyal fan of RCCI....I know they make mistakes....hey I have been cruising when they have....I did not post to start arguements ...I posted to point out the falseness of the OP's statement....the lack of selection at breakfast etc.

Elizanessie

I flamed an OP once for asking too many questions and a few minutes later I realized I was having such a bad day and took out my frustrations on that person and apologized for it. :rolleyes:

And I agree..there are those occasional false reviews that the trolls post but I never post to the thread "troll.." or "you're review is false"..I'll just skip over the thread if that's the case. Not saying you don't have the right to post it..just saying what I do.

It's not my place to say if it's false or not. I just came to these boards because I"m trying to decide on what cruiseline to take next and I'm trying to get all reviews...good and bad.

And trust me, I see tons of loyalists (not saying you're one of them) that will not let anyone say a bad word about their line. I find this one on the NCL boards particularly annoying (even if the line has blatently done something wrong the person will not agree) and I find the Carnival boards are full of them (I might get flamed for that....ehhh oh well). To each their own.

I've found that each line has something different to offer to passengers which is something other forms of vacationing does not offer.

Happy cruising,

Tim

LOL i posted happy brusing at first..had to go back and edit that one! :eek:

I do think some of the information in here doesn't match up. I find some of the things hard to believe and some (such as the room service issue) to be false. Of course, I wasn't there so I can't say this didn't happen. I can say that I won't let this poster's opinion deter me in the least from my vacation. It is though unfortunate if this information is deliberately misleading or false that other newcomers (whose well being some people seem to be very concerned for) could read this information and not have anything to judge against it and be persuaded not to cruise at all or with RC.

However, count me in the suspicious group because while I think almost everyone here welcomes newcomers....newcomers usually seem to be posting questions about the planning of their cruise with their first post NOT posting a negative review with their first post.

Yes, that is the way it used to work. People came here shared their opinions asked questions and formed a community. Then we had some disgruntled members who wanted to start a poof fest in order to destroy the forums. Unfortunately the people who should be stopping this whack the wrong people, and the rest of us turn on each other. Sad really.

The following message is for one of the wayward children.

I keep using my secret decoder ring, Neal, I and just can't figure out what you are trying to say. Go outside and get some fresh air, enjoy your day, get rid of the negativity. Let it go.

Your friend

jc

Liz, I hope you have your flame resistant suit on today! You should stick with your other friends;)

I agree that a first time poster writes a negative review and then doesn't come back to answer questions is most likely a troll. Probably some kid with nothing better to do.

Dawn

Speaking of new posters, does anyone know what may of happened to my 500+ posts I had last year. I know I had not posted at all in 05' before returning from my cruise but jeesh, did I have to lose all my numbers and look like a newbie all over again. At least nobody has managed to flame me, yet.

We all lost all of our post count in April of last year, I believe it was when they changed the board software.

BTW for all the people that claim we flame all Noobs that is simply not true. We only flame the Noobs that post exactly like trolls. Big difference.

jc

NJcruiser21...Tim

Funny thing about all this is I am smiling....I hope that doesnt make me sound obnoxious...but just incase you thought I was having a bad day.....actually my days at that moment are great...and my family and friends...and my cruise buddies would agree...my life is on the up.

I would get upset if anyone ever called me a RCCI loyalist though...hecky thump...my two cruises...I had problems...as a lot of my buddies here know...stolen item by crew member and blood in my chicken for example....and I came on here and told people about it....but I didnt trash the whole cruise....I politely pointed out what problems I had.And I am going on another RCCI cruise in October ...on the Mariner....and you would not believe just how much we are looking forward to it and our second visit to the US.

In my opinion the OP just posted to stir up things....either that or was looking for attention....if I was proved wrong I would aplogise and eat humble pie....But I still think the story is just that....a story....as in made up.

I would hate it if a new cruiser though read that review and think that is how cruising on the Mariner really is.

Liz

My dh and I returned from the Mariner after the 4/3 - 4/10 cruise. I won't comment on the food because I have never had a problem with food LOL. But the comment about the beach towels really threw me - all they had to do was go to the pool deck and get another towel. I know they tell you that you have to trade them in but I saw many people just walking up to the attendant and getting new towel. Maybe the fact they were in the suites they felt they should not have to get their own towels but it worked for most of the people I know.

Guest OBAYbee

Happy cruising,

Tim

LOL i posted happy brusing at first..had to go back and edit that one! :eek:

ROTFL!

My family and I were on this same cruise, except we embarked on the 17th and disembarked on the 24th.:D I had the exact opposite cruise experience.

I was on board with my DH, DD(8yrs), DS(7yrs). Yes, there was a charge for late night. But, I knew this going in. After 10pm on certain days, there was a $5.00 per hour per kid charge. Most nights I picked my kids up at 11:30, it only cost me an additional $15. Way cheaper than any babysitter I've ever paid. It was well worth the expense.

Johnny Rockets DOES NOT charge extra for hamburgers, only drinks and shakes. But, this is shipwide. We ate there and had to pay $12. Fortunately, we recieved 2 passes for 2 guests to visit JR for free. Adventure Ocean did have a dinner at JR 3 nights. My kids joined them for 2 of those nights at no additional cost.

Our food was great. I really had no complaints. The way I figured it was I didn't have to cook, serve or clean. It's kind of nice to have a gourmet style meal. It's not too often I cook gourmet meals. I think you just need an appreciation for how well the service is. Our waiters entertained the kids at our table, there were 6. They were exceptional (the waiters), the kids were great too!

Our cabin attendent was outstanding. I requested the mini bar emptied, it was done on Monday. So what if it wasn't the minute I asked. I think everyone is too quick to pick out what went wrong.

Yes, I would cruise on the Mariner in the future. In fact we are thinking of next April.

Valerie

Voyager of the Seas 10/01/00

Mariner of the Seas 04/17/05

I guess as one person said it's all in your expectations...

YES !!! I suppose it is all in what one has for expectations, but one shouldn't have low expectations so you aren't dissapointed. Im planning a voyager class cruise for next year. now i'm getting nervous and perhaps I shouldn't do so.

Ron

I was on the Mariner the week of April 10th to 17th. I would agree that the food in the Windjammer was so-so, but the food in the dining room was fabulous. We also ate at chops it was good, we had portifino's booked but cancelled because dining room food and company was so great. The service was wonderful. They brought us anything we requested.

As far as the pictures go, they had them up all week. They just moved them around.

The Mariner was a great ship, with wonderful staff. Our room stewart was fabulous, his name was Coture, on deck 10. This has been by far, my favorite trip and my favorite ship.

We were also on the April 17-24 Mariner sailing, and our experience was very positive.

Yes, the breakfast room service menu is somewhat limited, but being able to order breakfast before going to bed and then being called a few minutes before it arrives in the morning is a pretty solid trade off, I think.

It seems impossible that towels were not changed for several days. However, it is incumbent on the passenger to place the towels where the room steward will know that they are "soiled" and need to be exchanged. We put our pool towels in the corner in the bathroom with the others we wanted changed, and, invariably, there were new ones for the evening or the next morning. Works every time!

The dining room menu may not appeal to everyone every day. There was one evening when I wasn't thrilled by any of the entrees, but that doesn't mean that everyone else felt the same way. There's always the alternate menu selections. Between the dining room, the Windjammer, the Cafe Promenade, Chops, Portofinos, room service, Johnny Rockets, late night buffets and snacks (did I miss anything?), it's pretty safe to say that no passenger ever starved on a cruise ship!

Whether the shower issue is real or not, I can't say. However, we did notice that the handle on our balcony door was loose one day. The next day someone was there to fix it, so the room steward must have noticed it and reported it.

This was our tenth cruise - four with other cruise lines, six with RCCL - all of them have been wonderful! Some people just like to complain.

I only have one question, does the OP change towels at home everyday for all 4 members of his family?

hmmm, we have four members in our family and YES, we DO change towels everyday and use fresh ones for all of us. My DH sometimes tries to get away with using the same towel in the evenings and that's just gross!! I wash it before he can get to it again.

Saying all that......I would have just grabbed some fresh towels off one of the cabin stewards carts that are always in the hallways if they werent delivered to my cabin when they should have been!

Guest OBAYbee

Wonder if the OP hung the dirty towels on a towel rack after using them? I know on several of the ships and some hotels they have signs stating in order to "conserve energy if you don't mind using your towel more then once place it back on a towel rack. If you want fresh towels place the soiled towels on the floor."

That could explain what happened to him.

Wonder if the OP hung the dirty towels on a towel rack after using them? I know on several of the ships and some hotels they have signs stating in order to "conserve energy if you don't mind using your towel more then once place it back on a towel rack. If you want fresh towels place the soiled towels on the floor."

That could explain what happened to him.

See this is why we need more info. from the op.but he has yet to return.:)

I don't think it's fair to put someone down because they booked a suite. Sometimes that type of cabin just works better. Making the assumption that they expected preferential service is a huge leap.

Beth

Agree, but there does seem to be a correlation on this board to bad cruising experiences and staying in a SUITE. Perhaps the expectations are not being met. Any psyc. majors out there?

A great book for reading on a cruise is "Don't sweat the small stuff."

Archived