When you order multiple entrees or appetizers

AMAC86

The title is what is said in our Mess Hall in the Air Force. It also applies to cruising. I never let a Lobster evening go by without ordering two to start and maybe a third for desert. Never have had an odd look nor any complaints from others; just a "Boy, I wish I'd have thought of that!", followed by a second order to the waiter. :) Now my wife has learned to do the same.

And we never have requested a table for two except on our Honeymoon. It is a part of crusing to meet new fun people. Dinner is an excellent time to do that.

Some times we order every appetizer on the list just to sample them all; then rarely eat the main course because (we mostly do this on Holland American) they are so good. We've also learned to let our waiter surprise us with something. They love the opportunity to share something new (even if it isn't we praise them and thank them) and often do surprise us and teach us about a new wonderful dish. It is all about enjoying yourself.

Next Cruise: Eurodam in June

I take cruises to sample exotic locations, get a taste of new adventures, or enjoy new experiences. That doesn't stop at the dining room table. If I see two items on the menu I'd like to try, I will not hesitate to order them. If I don't eat it all, then so be it. If someone has a problem with that, then they don't fully understand the purpose and benefits of taking a cruise.

First, bear in mind that this was about 25 years ago, but it was on a 3 day Carnival (don't remember the ship) to Nassau, not a high-end cruise by any stretch. Our first cruise and there was a couple at a nearby table that was very...interesting. She: blonde, big hair, flashy - think Jerseylicious meets Dallas. He: straight out of central casting for The Godfather, maybe with a hint of Saturday Night Fever.

However, we wouldn't have noticed them, really, except for his behavior. Suddenly we hear him yelling - yup, yelling - at the waiter that he was told, by his travel agent, that he could have anything he wanted on the cruise and he wanted lobster. MaitreD comes and is likewise berated. HE WANTED LOBSTER!! Now, since it wasn't on that night's menu, nor was it on the menu on any other night, there was no lobster to be had on the ship. I don't know if he wanted them to throw out traps behind the ship, or helicopter them in, but he was sorely disappointed...and totally entertaining. We were super-nice to the waiter and busboy (who also got yelled at) after that.

I personally hate when people sitting next to me order more food than the typical appetizer-entree-dessert menu. I am of the kind of people who gain weight pretty easily even if I am physically active. I care a lot about the food portions I eat. It disgusts me so much to see people eating like two main courses and two desserts that it spoils my appetite, especially when the people in question are overweight.

I can't eat at the buffet because of this. Seeing mountains of food in people's plates make me sick, especially when I see omelets topping pizzas and chinese noodles.

People should respect others around in their food consumption. Sometimes it is just plainly disgusting.

I personally hate when people sitting next to me order more food than the typical appetizer-entree-dessert menu. I am of the kind of people who gain weight pretty easily even if I am physically active. I care a lot about the food portions I eat. It disgusts me so much to see people eating like two main courses and two desserts that it spoils my appetite, especially when the people in question are overweight.

I can't eat at the buffet because of this. Seeing mountains of food in people's plates make me sick, especially when I see omelets topping pizzas and chinese noodles.

People should respect others around in their food consumption. Sometimes it is just plainly disgusting.

Really? It must be hard to function in society if other people actions affect you so badly.

Maybe in room dining should be where you have your meals.

If you are seriously that worried about other peoples eating habits, then you definitely don't need to be eating in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The title is what is said in our Mess Hall in the Air Force. It also applies to cruising. I never let a Lobster evening go by without ordering two to start and maybe a third for desert. Never have had an odd look nor any complaints from others; just a "Boy, I wish I'd have thought of that!", followed by a second order to the waiter. :) Now my wife has learned to do the same.

And we never have requested a table for two except on our Honeymoon. It is a part of crusing to meet new fun people. Dinner is an excellent time to do that.

Some times we order every appetizer on the list just to sample them all; then rarely eat the main course because (we mostly do this on Holland American) they are so good. We've also learned to let our waiter surprise us with something. They love the opportunity to share something new (even if it isn't we praise them and thank them) and often do surprise us and teach us about a new wonderful dish. It is all about enjoying yourself.

Next Cruise: Eurodam in June

Welcome to Cruise critic and thank you for a very thoughtful initial post. Also, thank you for your service, your post shows we truly do have the best in our Military...

Kind of ironic, you start your post with "I personally hate", and then have the gall to end it with people should respect others in their food consumption.

I would suggest you enjoy your cruise at a table for 2, and never mind what other folks eat and how much they eat. Who are you to judge? If someone is overweight its their problem not yours.

You forgot to add some symbols like ":D" and/or ";)" to show people you were joking. I think some people took your post seriously. :p

I always order whatever I want to eat. My grown children travel with me, my mother used to go as well.

We have always ordered any dish that tempted us, because some things are just not in restaurants in my home town.

We share and sample and enjoy everything that tastes good.

So, order away!

Kind of ironic, you start your post with "I personally hate", and then have the gall to end it with people should respect others in their food consumption.

I would suggest you enjoy your cruise at a table for 2, and never mind what other folks eat and how much they eat. Who are you to judge? If someone is overweight its their problem not yours.

On my first cruise, I saw a children of about 10 years old that was so overweight that he had difficulties to walk. Whenever I saw him, he was eating or drinking something. He was seated at the table just beside mine, and I could see that even his parents were unhealthy and ordered multiple dishes, and ate them all. It's sad to witness unconscious parents who do not care about their health nor their children's one. :(

Every person I know agree to the fact that portions on MDR are just OK. Well, I acknowledge that since we are on vacation, it's normal that we can sometimes indulge ourselves in eating a little bit more, however, eating two entrees or desserts every night is maybe too much. ;) Maybe some people should focus on quality over quantity. Eat slowly and appreciate and savor what you have instead of ingesting two or three plates at light speed. :p

But... Nobody finds disgusting to witness someone eating so much they have difficulties to walk back to their staterooms? And as for the buffet, why don't people make one plate of food that is reasonably sized and then go back if they are still hungry, instead of piling so much food as possible in one? That would be much more civilized, don't you think?

But... Nobody finds disgusting to witness someone eating so much they have difficulties to walk back to their staterooms? And as for the buffet, why don't people make one plate of food that is reasonably sized and then go back if they are still hungry, instead of piling so much food as possible in one? That would be much more civilized, don't you think?

I think most of us mind our own business. I don't to mean to be mean, but you sound like my daughter did when she was a teenager. She spent a lot of time asking me "did you see that girl?" and honestly I didn't. I think part of being an adult is focusing on yourself rather than on others.

Why not refrain from publicly expressing "revulsion" and "disgust" at what are very likely eating disorders, or at the very least, personal choices that do not infringe upon you in any way?

That would be much more civilized, don't you think?

No most people dont care... I say get whatever your little haeart wants and enjoy.. life is way to short to worry about that...We order whatever we want most people will smile and then do the same thing....

And as for the buffet, why don't people make one plate of food that is reasonably sized and then go back if they are still hungry, instead of piling so much food as possible in one? That would be much more civilized, don't you think?

I agree with this one! My DH and I get our food and then sit and laugh between ourselves at the people that walk by with "Leaning Tower of Food" on their plates! It's like they think the buffet will disappear as soon as they get to their table, and they'll miss out on something.

Actually, I used to be one of those people, until I learned to pace myself! LOL

Well, I'm actually focusing on myself. I simply try to not look at them, which can be hard task since they sometime sit just in front of me. I just said that I didn't like witnessing people eating way too much when they are close to me, especially if they do so every night. And let me doubt over the eating disorder: an entire family suffering from bulimia? Seems unlikely although not impossible. I guess we'll never know. ;) .

Blimey, my reply on that thread raised many voices. I am honestly sorry, I didn't mean to. I just wanted to point that many people are far from being reasonable when it comes to eat, and their actions can be little disturbing for others.

Well, I'm actually focusing on myself. I simply try to not look at them, which can be hard task since they sometime sit just in front of me. I just said that I didn't like witnessing people eating way too much when they are close to me, especially if they do so every night. And let me doubt over the eating disorder: an entire family suffering from bulimia? Seems unlikely although not impossible. I guess we'll never know. ;) .

Blimey, my reply on that thread raised many voices. I am honestly sorry, I didn't mean to. I just wanted to point that many people are far from being reasonable when it comes to eat, and their actions can be little disturbing for others.

Since it matters that much to you how other people eat, I will again suggest you stick with in room dining. Then you can only judge yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to point that many people are far from being reasonable when it comes to eat, and their actions can be little disturbing for others.

If you are that disturbed, consider getting a table for two in the corner. Why folks concern themselves with what others choose to eat or not eat is beyond me!

I learned early on never to appear to be unable to decide between two dishes on the menu since some of the waiters will be bring both with a smile!

For those that find it offensive to see others eat multiple dishes and servings or plates piled high, don't ever sit next to teenagers. When my son went on a cruise at 18 with us he consistently ate enough food for 3 to 4 average people at every meal. Since I had been buying his groceries at home I wasn't surprised but I'm sure others were amazed and thought he was just over indulging. Nope, he ate like that all the time which made a cruise such a deal for us.

A pound of cheese and a pound of sandwich meat with half a loaf of bread was snack back then. Of course now that he's 30 he eats lots of salads and watches what he eats to keep himself continually trim. Not everyone has to eat a small portion of food to stay thin and occassionally overindulging will not ruin you for life. To each his own!

I agree with your sentiment. I find it mildly disturbing when extremely obese people eat so much, but I don't judge them. I keep to myself in public as I'm sure you do as well.

From my perspective, I wanted to make sure that if I do choose to order more than one appetizer, entree or dessert that I wasn't making others' meals any less enjoyable--I do care about the diners around me! It seems like most people wouldn't seem to mind though. And I am not extremely obese although I may just be after this cruise!

I think for me personally, I would only exercise the option if there were something on the menu that is normally too expensive or difficult to find near my home. An example of this would be lobster!!!!!!!

If you are that disturbed, consider getting a table for two in the corner. Why folks concern themselves with what others choose to eat or not eat is beyond me!

Wow. I'm not that disturbed, and most of the time I deal pretty well with all that! But it does make me feel sometimes uncomfortable. I stay away from the buffet when I can because of this. But it does not justify to eat in my room.

Wow. I'm not that disturbed, and most of the time I deal pretty well with all that!

Your earlier statement says otherwise: "It disgusts me so much to see people eating like two main courses and two desserts that it spoils my appetite, especially when the people in question are overweight."

Unfortunately your statement does seem very judgmental, no matter how you try to lighten it up with your next statements.

I think DCL has come up with a nice solution for this. They now offer a sampler dessert offering. It has smaller portions of several of the night's desserts. This makes a nice choice for those who want to sample without eating full servings. That being said, the table next to us ordered a dessert and asked for a second one to go. Happily fulfilled by our servers, OP order what you want and try as you please, the servers have seen it all and just want their passengers to be happy.

Originally Posted by Will999 viewpost.gif

Maybe this would solve the problem

Solution 1

or if you prefer, this

Solution 2

Archived