When you order multiple entrees or appetizers

AMAC86

I say, it's your cruise! Order what you want. If your "neighbors" don't like it, who cares they will be gone in a week ;)

Note to my Eclipse TA neighbors, I will order what I want, how much I want, when I want and you can "suck it" (as Kathy Griffin would say).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for some reason one is so incapable of making a choice, one can ask for a half size portion of one main and a half size portion of the other main. I wonder how many people in reality would do so. I suspect most wouldn't and just waste the leftovers.

April 2011 on Infinity's Eastbound Panama Canal cruise, I DID order 4 tails and never got a blink from our outstanding head waiter. I didn't leave even a tiny morsel but my jeans STILL dont fit as well:D

Thats because they are trained not to react. Behind closed doors I bet they talk.

Thats because they are trained not to react. Behind closed doors I bet they talk.

As long as we aren't breaking any rules, who cares if they talk about it! The aren't our parents. Besides, they serve so many people every day that I would be surprised if they even think twice about it. Some people worry about the silliest stuff.

I order multiple waffles each morning. Is that O.K.? :cool:

Although I think it's Ok to order a 2nd entree, I'm waffling on ordering multiple waffles.......maybe yes, maybe no.......waffling, waffling.

Den

I for some reason one is so incapable of making a choice, one can ask for a half size portion of one main and a half size portion of the other main. I wonder how many people in reality would do so. I suspect most wouldn't and just waste the leftovers.

I don't believe they can actually do this because I've tried. When I request an appetizer size portion, they just brought me the full plate anyway.

You can pretty much bet that as long as you are nice to them, they won't care HOW fussy you are. AND if you are fussy and leave a tip commensurate with your fussiness they will welcome you with open arms ; -)

as an aside to the "cleaning your plate" comments...

I don't think it's a good idea to get into the habit of cleaning your plate, or forcing your children to clean their plates. Forcing people to eat food that they don't want just teaches them not to listen to their natural hunger cues. If something is not appetizing, or if a person is full--they should stop eating.

I think if more people were more in tune with their body's cues, we'd have fewer people with disordered eating habits. Just my .02 (:

as an aside to the "cleaning your plate" comments...

I don't think it's a good idea to get into the habit of cleaning your plate, or forcing your children to clean their plates. Forcing people to eat food that they don't want just teaches them not to listen to their natural hunger cues. If something is not appetizing, or if a person is full--they should stop eating.

I think if more people were more in tune with their body's cues, we'd have fewer people with disordered eating habits. Just my .02 (:

No kidding. I was forced to clean plates as a child, and have been struggling with weight issues ever since. Although I'm not as overweight as I could be!

I don't believe they can actually do this because I've tried. When I request an appetizer size portion, they just brought me the full plate anyway.

The oppposite is true also, if you ask for two meals they usually bring two full meals even if you ask for just the meat on one of them.

The oppposite is true also, if you ask for two meals they usually bring two full meals even if you ask for just the meat on one of them.

This is most likely the result of the "assembly line" system they use in the MDR. They prepare so many "A", so many "B", and so on, and they are all staged in their appropriate areas. When a server needs an item "A", they go to the "A" table and pick one up, with all the trimmings. If the same customer also wants to try an item "B", the server will go to the "B" table and pick up a plate, trimmings included. They don't have time to custom build everybody's plates. One needs to go to the speciality restaurants for that customization, where they have fewer tables to serve and the meals are usually prepared to order.

Although I think it's Ok to order a 2nd entree, I'm waffling on ordering multiple waffles.......maybe yes, maybe no.......waffling, waffling. Den

Maybe 3, maybe 4, maybe 5 . I can't decide.

I always save room for a second entree on lobster night. In fact, the waiters always have a few extra plates ready to serve at their side table. Sometimes I want to try something new along with what I know I will like, so I order a second dessert or appetizer. Princess staff have never given any indication that I'm inconveniencing them or that they think I'm just being a piggy, LOL. My husband and I like to sit at a table of 8 to 10 so that we can interact with other passengers even if we are traveling with another couple. I see plenty of people doing the same thing. And even if they didn't, I'm there to enjoy and experience my cruise to the fullest.

I ordered 3 appetizers, no entree, on a few nights, just an entree on other nights. Our excellent waiter timed my courses to match up with the others at the table. We all arrived at dessert at the same time. Sometimes, I ordered 2 desserts :D Our waiter and his assistant sometimes suggested we order 2 entrees. No one had to wait for anyone else.

my husband LOVES lambchops. one nite, during our alaska cruise on the sapphire princess, he was excited to see lambchops on the menu. the waiter brought him the lambchops (3 or 4 of them ), which tom pronounced as DELICIOUS, and polished off pretty quickly. the waiter came back, and tom sheepishly asked if he could have some more. the waiter was DELIGHTED to bring him 4 more. the tablemates laughed--they thought it was great watching him eat those lambchops. he finished those, and the waiter came back and practically begged him to order another plate of them. he even went and got another waiter, and after much clapping on the back and encouragement, they got tom to order ANOTHER plate of them. everyone was laughing, and it really got conversations going (about favorite foods, etc ) so tom ended up eating 11 or 12 lambchops, and everyone had a good time. order what you want--have a good time--don't worry about other people giving you "strange looks", they are probably just wishing THEY had done the same thing!

The wait staff got to know us. Immediately after serving us he put in a second order without having to be asked

We also never could decide on desserts so we got 1 of each that sounded good and shared

You dont see many ordering multiple because people are embarrassed to ask

order what you like and if you feel you can eat it all, go ahead. i have only logged 75 cruise days and only twice have i ordered only one entree and whatever number of appetizers and desserts. i'm 5' 7" and 155 lbs but i can eat alot. i have at least 2 apps, 2 entrees and 2 desserts. i have always been a quick eater so i don't hold anyone up, besides if people are done and want to get up and leave the table they will do so. i will say that if they bring the whole dinner, i.e. veggies, starch, that sometimes i don't finish all of those parts from the 2nd and third entrees. if you have a set table/waiter they get to know your idiosyncrasies but i will order plenty even on open seating cruises. yes, there will be tablemates that will be astounded, flummoxed, whatever by how much someone can consume but as long as you are neat and not truly wasteful and show people that you truly enjoy their company as well as the food you will do fine as well as meet many people who will remember you as one who can consume copious amounts of food and not in a negative manner. go for it and enjoy!

I have tried to order half a portion of the main course on several cruises. The waiters always answered me that that was not possible.

I have tried to order half a portion of the main course on several cruises. The waiters always answered me that that was not possible.

True. Having asked for half a number of times on many lines, the half doesn't exist. So don't worry be happy! :D

True. Having asked for half a number of times on many lines, the half doesn't exist. So don't worry be happy! :D

Oh, but you are wrong! I've ordered half an entree a number of times and they have brought it to me......two one-halves on the same plate....Oh well.

Den

I don't usually order two entrees, but on the Millenium in January I did just that, making sure, I thought, that the waiter brought them in series. Needless to say, they arrived together and the waiter had disappeared. So, as I ate one, the second sat there getting cold as there was no warming cover. Keep this in mind, if you double up.

my husband LOVES lambchops. one nite, during our alaska cruise on the sapphire princess, he was excited to see lambchops on the menu. the waiter brought him the lambchops (3 or 4 of them ), which tom pronounced as DELICIOUS, and polished off pretty quickly. the waiter came back, and tom sheepishly asked if he could have some more. the waiter was DELIGHTED to bring him 4 more. the tablemates laughed--they thought it was great watching him eat those lambchops. he finished those, and the waiter came back and practically begged him to order another plate of them. he even went and got another waiter, and after much clapping on the back and encouragement, they got tom to order ANOTHER plate of them. everyone was laughing, and it really got conversations going (about favorite foods, etc ) so tom ended up eating 11 or 12 lambchops, and everyone had a good time. order what you want--have a good time--don't worry about other people giving you "strange looks", they are probably just wishing THEY had done the same thing!

I can easily believe this, as the lambchops on Princess and Celebrity rival those in the best landbased restaurants. Simply delicious. I now ask that a double order be brought; there's no doubt they will be consumed. I'm salivating already, looking forward to the Solstice TA in two weeks and not having eaten meat since late February. Oh, boy!!!

We were on the Eclipse last week and dined in Murano on our last night. The waiter mentioned that the menu will shortly be changing in Murano, and they will also be implementing a surcharge for each additional course that you order (over and above, one appetiser, main and dessert per person)

We were on the Eclipse last week and dined in Murano on our last night. The waiter mentioned that the menu will shortly be changing in Murano, and they will also be implementing a surcharge for each additional course that you order (over and above, one appetiser, main and dessert per person)
That would truly be annoying. $40/pp already isn't the deal of the lifetime, if you consider that it's a surcharge above and beyond what you've already paid for with your cruise fare. I could probably get a much better meal on land for $100-120 per couple.

Archived