When you order multiple entrees or appetizers

AMAC86

I personally hate when people sitting next to me order more food than the typical appetizer-entree-dessert menu. I am of the kind of people who gain weight pretty easily even if I am physically active. I care a lot about the food portions I eat. It disgusts me so much to see people eating like two main courses and two desserts that it spoils my appetite, especially when the people in question are overweight.

I can't eat at the buffet because of this. Seeing mountains of food in people's plates make me sick, especially when I see omelets topping pizzas and chinese noodles.

People should respect others around in their food consumption. Sometimes it is just plainly disgusting.

Sounds like being on a cruise ship is the wrong place for you. Fat people with bad table manners abound. One of the biggest pieces of false advertising has to be the slim, well groomed, beautiful passengers shown in every cruise lines' brochures. The reality is quite the opposite but it hasn't stopped us from returning time and again

I got to disagree with a lot of you.

Personally I feel 2 or 3 starters is not the done thing or acceptable regardless of what shape or size everyone is. You just don't bulk order like that in a fine dining restaurant.

How many of you go to an exclusive restaurant on land and order 3 starters or 2 entrees? I don't, people I dine with don't maybe it is not a Brit thing and is jut a culture shock to see it happen on a ship?

The idea is not to come out of the dining room bloated and feeling stuffed, one should feel satisfied but not over stuffed.

I know a big part of cruising is the draw to unlimited food but that is not a challenge to eat the stores clean so old mother hubbard would be proud.

if there are 2 or 3 appealing options, be brave, pick one that is sufficient. If you only get 4 shrimp instead of 8 then be satisfied with 4. Why ? tell me what possible reason justifies 8? "because 4 is not enough" or "4 is a half portion" is not an acceptable answer. I am sure Celebrity don't sit down and say "lets short shrimp them tonight" .

Eat less, people, moderation and common sense, use calorific and portion size guides

There is just the 2 of us. We always ask for early dining with the biggest table possible.

I cannot remember a cruise where someone did not order extras !

My biggest nightmare would be to sit with people on Weight Watchers !

I usually get 2 desserts :O)

Never a problem with the staff...

I don't mind Weight Watchers as long as it isn't MY weight they are watching. ;)

Hmmm... we are less than 2 weeks out from our cruise now. Is it too late to call Celebrity and request a table for 2 for the late seating? My travel partner is impartial as to whether or not we sit with others, but I think this issue of slowing others down to get my 12 lobsters might push me to choose a table for 2.

MY ONLY QUIBBLE IS THAT YOU FORGOT TO ORDER Escargots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, wondered if anybody can help - This will be our first cruise and we are scheduled for late dining we are a party of 4 adults and a toddler -will it be possible to get a private table?

MY ONLY QUIBBLE IS THAT YOU FORGOT TO ORDER Escargots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No use in ordering them on the Solstice, at least. They are off the menu, replaced by stuffed mushrooms. When I questioned our waiter, he responded that the escargot came from China (what doesn't?) and had gotten too expensive. I have no idea whether this is true, if it is a permanent change, or if it is ship specific, depending on the port of embarkation. I love escargot, but not having them is not going to ruin my cruise.

Hi, wondered if anybody can help - This will be our first cruise and we are scheduled for late dining we are a party of 4 adults and a toddler -will it be possible to get a private table?

A toddler at the late sitting? Even if you have a table for eight, I would bet there will be 3 seats empty after the first night out.:D

No use in ordering them on the Solstice, at least. They are off the menu, replaced by stuffed mushrooms. When I questioned our waiter, he responded that the escargot came from China (what doesn't?) and had gotten too expensive. I have no idea whether this is true, if it is a permanent change, or if it is ship specific, depending on the port of embarkation. I love escargot, but not having them is not going to ruin my cruise.

I was curious about this so I went and googled ; -)

Not boat specific, worldwide.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1603934

And to keep it topic specific; I often order more than one appetizer. Sometimes I just have that. Sometimes we order an array of small plates and everyone shares. I don't find it repugnant if people don't order 1,2,3 off the menu. You should see our table at dessert. Ordering one of each and passing it around is one of our favorite games.

Been fat, been thin, my eating isn't much different actually. A fat person can eat almost nothing and not loose weight. That's why people who get fat tend to stay fat no matter how hard they work at loosing. Fat is not a moral weakness.

The Spouse is one of those unfortunates who loose ALL self control at buffets. Which is why we do NOT go to them ; -)

The last one was the sunday brunch at the Halekulani. Boy was THAT scary. Even 20 years later I remember how green his face was after...

He just can't help himself. But this is a man who fills his cereal bowl up to the top and overflows it with the milk, and if you give him a larger bowl he would just pour more.

The good news is he bikes it all off ; -)

You should have no problem. Have Celebrity or your Travel Agent make this request in advance - it probably won't help at all but it might.

After you get on board on embarkation afternoon stop stop by the maitre'd's desk to check your table location and number at the table. This is usually located in a lounge just outside of one of the dining room doors an embarkation afternoon. You can request any changes then - if they hesitate be sure to mention that you are traveling with a toddler - the staff love children and really cater to them so it couldn't hurt to mention this or bring your young one along. You'll probably be seated at a table sized for 6 with just the five of you there.

I got to disagree with a lot of you.

Personally I feel 2 or 3 starters is not the done thing or acceptable regardless of what shape or size everyone is. You just don't bulk order like that in a fine dining restaurant.

How many of you go to an exclusive restaurant on land and order 3 starters or 2 entrees? I

A cruise ship's main dining room is far from a "fine dining" restaurant. That said, many fine dining restaurants DO have an elaborate number of courses. In the past few weeks I have enjoyed a 29 course menu at Next: El Bulli, a 25 course menu at One Sister Inc. and a 14 course menu at Schwa. I will be enjoying 14 courses tomorrow at El Ideas and 25 courses in a couple of weeks at Alinea. All of these would be considered fine dining. It is pretty rare in fine dining venues these days to limit oneself to an appetizer, entree and dessert. Yes the portions are quite small at most of these venues (many are just a single bite or two), but portions are fairly small for a lot of the dishes on Celebrity.

Not too long ago Celebrity's menu was actually divided into five courses. Many people (including lots of people of average weight and below) would leave dinner hungry if they only consumed three courses. No way would I limit myself to three courses during a cruise; I eat more at home and often am more physically active during a cruise than while at home so I need more calories.

If three courses are enough for you that is great. There is nothing wrong with having a small appetite. I agree one should eat to be comfortably satiated and not gorge oneself until bloated, but there is no need to criticize people who need/want to eat more to be satisfied or to expect everybody to conform to your dining habits.

...in the MDR, do the staff and/or other passengers give you a strange look? I would hate to have to choose between lobster and chateaubriand!

Is this practice pretty commonplace on Celebrity? On our Carnival cruise last August, I didn't notice a single person at our 8 person table do this. I don't want to be the only one!

Well have you receive enough responses yet? LOL! I'm with you, and wouldn't want anyone eyeing me...but it's never been the case with us. We enjoy a small plate (shared) of pasta to accompany dinner, and our waiter always bring this along with the main course - even in Blu. The portions are smaller in Blu, so we are less likely to feel stuffed.

I think the only other time we ordered one of each was on formal night in the MDR, wanted surf and turf (or maybe it was Mama's Porkchops?) ;)

I was curious about this so I went and googled ; -)

Not boat specific, worldwide.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1603934

And to keep it topic specific; I often order more than one appetizer. Sometimes I just have that. Sometimes we order an array of small plates and everyone shares. I don't find it repugnant if people don't order 1,2,3 off the menu. You should see our table at dessert. Ordering one of each and passing it around is one of our favorite games.

Been fat, been thin, my eating isn't much different actually. A fat person can eat almost nothing and not loose weight. That's why people who get fat tend to stay fat no matter how hard they work at loosing. Fat is not a moral weakness.

The Spouse is one of those unfortunates who loose ALL self control at buffets. Which is why we do NOT go to them ; -)

The last one was the sunday brunch at the Halekulani. Boy was THAT scary. Even 20 years later I remember how green his face was after...

He just can't help himself. But this is a man who fills his cereal bowl up to the top and overflows it with the milk, and if you give him a larger bowl he would just pour more.

The good news is he bikes it all off ; -)

LOL, I couldn't agree more with your post! ;)

Yes, you can order what you want and as much as you want on a cruise. Who cares what other people think? Who cares if you are fat, skinny, old, young, whatever? I know I don't care or judge. If you are hungry, eat!

I'm a low-carber and people are always amazed at how much I can eat but you know what? When you DO NOT FILL UP ON ALL THAT BREAD, PASTA AND POTATOES, you can eat a LOT more! Two entrees is not out of the ordinary for me on a cruise. I always order extra large sides of whatever fresh vegetable is being served that evening as well. Do I get strange looks from tablemates? Sure I do! Do I care? Not a chance! And I am saying this as a formerly obese person, but perhaps that gives me a different perspective on things (and I wouldn't care or judge you if you weighed 300 pounds and ordered 8 desserts).

A cruise ship's main dining room is far from a "fine dining" restaurant. That said, many fine dining restaurants DO have an elaborate number of courses. In the past few weeks I have enjoyed a 29 course menu at Next: El Bulli, a 25 course menu at One Sister Inc. and a 14 course menu at Schwa. I will be enjoying 14 courses tomorrow at El Ideas and 25 courses in a couple of weeks at Alinea. All of these would be considered fine dining. It is pretty rare in fine dining venues these days to limit oneself to an appetizer, entree and dessert. Yes the portions are quite small at most of these venues (many are just a single bite or two), but portions are fairly small for a lot of the dishes on Celebrity.

Not too long ago Celebrity's menu was actually divided into five courses. Many people (including lots of people of average weight and below) would leave dinner hungry if they only consumed three courses. No way would I limit myself to three courses during a cruise; I eat more at home and often am more physically active during a cruise than while at home so I need more calories.

If three courses are enough for you that is great. There is nothing wrong with having a small appetite. I agree one should eat to be comfortably satiated and not gorge oneself until bloated, but there is no need to criticize people who need/want to eat more to be satisfied or to expect everybody to conform to your dining habits.

I am just putting over my opinion, I haven't told anyone what they have got to do. I just don't think, in my opinion that when you order a meal that comprises of a starter and a main dish, you need more than one of each.

I am just putting over my opinion, I haven't told anyone what they have got to do. I just don't think, in my opinion that when you order a meal that comprises of a starter and a main dish, you need more than one of each.

Please reread your post. You were NOT merely stating an opinion. You were telling other people how they should order and making condescending remarks. Perhaps one of each is sufficient for you, but it is not sufficient to me and to many others.

Last year we sailed on the Summit with DD, DSIL, DGS (14 mos.) and DSIL's parents. We requested and were told we had a table for the seven of us. Called before we sailed and confirmed. Got on board and DD's ILs were at a separate table, and there were two others at our table. We went to the maitre d' as soon as he was available, and they made the switch. It did take a while, and they were not very anxious to make the switch but we were persistent, pleasant, and just let them know that how they did it was their problem but that it would be done.

First, all this talk about food has got me really, really hungry. With my first ever cruise coming up, I really want to try EVERY type of cruise line food item available. This of course will necessitate ordering virtually everything on the menu. Which in turn will require that I eat swiftly in order to finish before midnite. The result of this food binge will be me lurching back & forth in a attempt to reach my cabin. While this may appear frightening to others, I have lived a remarkably happy life eating & drinking to excess;)

I'd like to apologize in advance to anyone my behavior offends, particularly those who know what's best for me. I've always tried to live my life based not upon my own decisions or desires, but to meet the expectations of others. Sometimes it's very difficult to function, as numerous people will have a wide variety of opinions as to what I should do. This immobilizes me as I really don't know whose advice I should be following..who I should be pleasing:confused:

If the captain of the Millinium doesn't banish me to eating alone in the ships engine room at 1:00AM, then I guess my behavior is okay with Celebrity. Perhaps others will be banished along with me to eat in the bowels of the ship away from well mannered, appropriate passengers. Actually it might be great fun to dine with like minded cruisers:rolleyes:

As I indicated this will be my first cruise, and I was just wondering if anyone gets confined to their cabin for ordering surf & turf? I'd be okay with that as long as I get to take the food with me:p

Hey, you do as you must, as I say, I have my own opinion and it does seem to be the minority but I will stand my ground and voice it in the rip tide of the majority who are hell bent on chasing out anyone who dares to disagree.

Personally I have 3 rules

a) When stuck with a choice of dishes, I make a manly decision and pick one. I can always have another next time and if not, well I still enjoyed what I had. If I pick something and don't like it, then fair enough a second is justified in that situation.

b) Sometimes less is more, I prefer to eat slower, tasting what I am eating. This also allows my stomach to tell my brain when it is full. Wolfing down a course bypasses this mechanism.

c) When I am full, that is it, I stop, game over. I don't force that last piece of desert, I don't regret leaving what I may have left and I don't get a doggy bag or have the remainder sent to my room.

Now for me, I find that just one of a course is sufficient. If you lot want 3 lobsters and 4 shrimp cocktails then I am not standing in your way

When stuck with a choice of dishes, I make a manly decision and pick one. I can always have another next time and if not, well I still enjoyed what I had. If I pick something and don't like it, then fair enough a second is justified in that situation.

Thank you so much. Now that I know you make manly decisions, and have approved of my plan to eat Celebrity Cruise Lines into chapter 11, then I shall do so!

I would be pleased to sit with your party and toddler any time enjoy your cruise you will have a fab time my daughter is 19 now but been travelling for many years.

It's always great to have children on board,thats why I've never been on an adults only cruise.In fact its the rude adults sometimes who can spoil it.

Have a fab time regards David

...in the MDR, do the staff and/or other passengers give you a strange look? I would hate to have to choose between lobster and chateaubriand!

Is this practice pretty commonplace on Celebrity? On our Carnival cruise last August, I didn't notice a single person at our 8 person table do this. I don't want to be the only one!

If you were sat with me and did that,I would say what a great idea and join you .

Have a great holiday, be yourself!

I've ordered two main courses and no appetizer and other times three appetizers and two desserts (no entree). No one has ever given me a hard time.

We often want to try all of the desserts, or 3 of the 4 appetizers. You can order whatever you want, and often even things off the menu if you have a knowledgeable waiter. Bon Appetite! :)

Archived