Escargot Escapades

sarafinadh

I was reading on another board (about cooking) and there was an old comment about snail shortages. We have had so many comments from members about the absence or presence of escargot on the X menu (and other cruise lines as well), I was motivated to go read a bit.

Turns out that at least a fair portion of the problem is not shortage of snails... It's shortage of people willing to be snail harvesters. Have to be willing to schlep out on misty mornings and evenings, bucket in hand and hike thru damp grass hunting for the slippery little mollusks. And is seems that the eastern European harvesters, where most of the snails are collected, are an aging demographic and the younger folks are not interested in taking over the family business. Low job prestige and the improving economy there mean that they can easily make better money doing a less slimy job.

Maybe this is just a case of what the market will bear? As good as the little buggers are, in butter and garlic, maybe no one will pay enough to make it worth harvesting them these days. We have a robust population of the burgundy snail here in the bay area. While not native they were imported in 1849 and have thrived ever since. Maybe I should go into business ; -)

We have a robust population of the burgundy snail here in the bay area. While not native they were imported in 1849 and have thrived ever since. Maybe I should go into business ; -)

Do so quickly my DH is going to be so disappointed if Equinox doesn't have any in May!!:D:D:D

If they'd just serve the little plates full of little wells of garlic and butter to dip my bread sticks in I'd be just as happy - even if it didn't have a snail in it.:D

You got that one right. The snails are long forgotten but the garlic and butter live on...yummmmmm

If they'd just serve the little plates full of little wells of garlic and butter to dip my bread sticks in I'd be just as happy - even if it didn't have a snail in it.:D

Funny you mention that Larry. While I enjoy Escargot, I have a few relatives at my table who won't touch them.... but always crave the melted butter/garlic for bread dipping.

At any rate, let's hope the Escargot return to the Celebrity menu soon. If not, I'm looking forward to trying the Crab/Mushroom appetizer.

Wouldn't ya know? I'm an adventurous diner who had somehow never tried escargot until our November 2011 TA on the Equinox. Totally loved 'em and am so disappointed to find they've vanished from =X= menus.

I have a story about coconut crème brûlée and =X=. Tried it on the Infinity and thought it was wonderful. Our next cruise was 13 nights, and I was told it was served only on the last night of a 14-night cruise. Disappointment reigned. Next cruise was 14 nights, and it was on the menu the last night. Whoo-hoo! Ordered it only to find there was not one shred of coconut in the coconut crème brûlée. Our waiter even fetched another one, but there was no coconut in that one either. Waiter finally tasted one himself and agreed--no coconut. Had totally vanished from the menu of our most recent cruise, probably never to reappear.

If I were paranoid, I'd think there's someone lurking at =X= to snatch from the menu anything I find wonderful. They just better not mess with the goat cheese souffle!

Betsy

There were these two snails, sitting by the kerbside watching cars drive psst. One snail saya to the other, "Hey Merve, Hey Merve, you know, one day I will have myself a fancy car too. Painted in black no less. On the hood I will have in gold paint a large letter S. On the doors I will have in gold paint a large letter S and on the back yet another large letter S". Merve turns around to hie pall and says "so waddya want to do that for"? "well you see, every time I drive around the hood, people will say WOW, look at that S-Car-Go".

Maybe we could all just bring our own little pail-of-snail with us for the chef to prepare. Or, better yet, save the snails, and why not do plain mushroom caps prepared the same delicious way the snails are....mmmbutter, olive oil, garlicmmm.

Cheers h.

By the way, I was getting all excited at the sound of coconut creme brulle only to have you dash my dreams, boo hoo.

Maybe we could all just bring our own little pail-of-snail with us for the chef to prepare. Or, better yet, save the snails, and why not do plain mushroom caps prepared the same delicious way the snails are....mmmbutter, olive oil, garlicmmm.

Cheers h.

By the way, I was getting all excited at the sound of coconut creme brulle only to have you dash my dreams, boo hoo.

Actually since my DH loves them so much he suggested us bringing our own can..(yes they come in a can) with us for our upcoming trip and asking the chef to prepare...I think he was kidding...but not sure!!:eek::D

As has been reported in other food threads, Celebrity says that they are having supplier issues and the escargot are off the menu until that gets straightened out They are blaming dry conditions in the supply area, but what the OP wrote is just as plausible. Anyway, for the time being there are no escargot. Time will tell if they return to the menu.

Sorry, no more esgargot on the anytime menus. TheY now have stuffed mushrooms served in the former esgargot dishes and they are not good, too much bread. Big mistake! If it isn't broke don't change it.

Greetings

On the 05 March Equinox cruise there was not a snail to be found anywhere on the ship. I even asked the Matre d and exec chef about them, not available they both said. I did try the mushroom caps and I agree that they are not very good. If there was crab there, I couldn't find it.

Good sailing

Tom

There were these two snails, sitting by the kerbside watching cars drive psst. One snail saya to the other, "Hey Merve, Hey Merve, you know, one day I will have myself a fancy car too. Painted in black no less. On the hood I will have in gold paint a large letter S. On the doors I will have in gold paint a large letter S and on the back yet another large letter S". Merve turns around to hie pall and says "so waddya want to do that for"? "well you see, every time I drive around the hood, people will say WOW, look at that S-Car-Go".

:D:D:D:D

Snails were alive and well, so to speak, on Summit February 11-18. There was a man at our table who had them every night!

LOL!!:D "Thank you folks, I'm here through the week. Make sure you try the veal"

Hey middlehaitch, thanks for the "bring your own" idea. I can round up some snails, aka escargot, from our back yard and tote them to the ship! :D

Only if you use Snailrunners - otherwise you might have to go to the "naughty" room.

I was on the March 5 Silhouette sailing. A number of us on our group of ten had the substitute for the escargot that was served, crab stuffed mushroom caps. Ghey are served in the escargot dish and butter and garlic remain in the holes after you eat the mushroom. We all loved them. They were a great substitute.

Do so quickly my DH is going to be so disappointed if Equinox doesn't have any in May!!:D:D:D

WHAT ?????? NO SNAILS ???? WHAT EXCUSE IS THERE FOR THE GARLIC AND BUTTER ????? Maybe they'll crawl back on by the time we go in July!

You got that one right. The snails are long forgotten but the garlic and butter live on...yummmmmm

Yup...no I've ever met eats escargot for the taste/consistency of snails....they eat it for the butter and garlic. They could put scallops, mushrooms, oysters, clams in that butter/garlic sauce and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

My biggest disappointment with the snails was that they were served without shells. I had this vision of Julia Roberts.....

Archived