Suggestions for Split

We will be on Riviera docking in Split on Saturday, August 11 from 8am to 4 pm.

1. What are the "must do/see" things that we should try to cover?

2. How far is it from the port to the main attractions?

3. And, any suggestions on private tours or guides would also be great to get.

Thanks!

We'll be there in June. Have researched a fair bit and decided to explore the palace area and Riva promenade on our own...apparently very close to walk to. There are some guided tours of the palace that can be booked upon arrival. Then we plan to rent bikes and head over to the Marjan Park area where there are trails, beaches etc. (again apparently very close by). We plan to have a leisurely paced day as we have booked lots of private tours in our other ports.

it..The Palace is 20 min.walk away from port.

Can enjoy it yourself with guidebook(we had Rick Steves guide us)

Then had nice lunch on promendage,people watched,shopped and the time FLEW by.

No need to get private guide(IMO) since very easy and close,,plus you really don t have much time there.

Wonderful town,and wish we d had MORE TIME..good luck:D

We booked 3 tours through Split Private Tours & Shore Excursions by Matthew (http://www.private-guides.com/guide-in-croatia/croatia-matej-dancevic/index.php) on our Mediterranean cruise in 2011: Driver-guided tour of UNESCO towns Trogir and Split, and UNESCO town Dubrovnik and Montenegro tour (the following 2 days).

We had great tour guides, Matthew, Ajosa and Ilia.

Our Split tour guide Matthew (matej.t.d@gmail.com) was the best guide we have had in eight consecutive European trips.

We booked everything on-line and the communication was great. I highly recommend this company

Don't miss Trogir as it's a charming medieval village near Split. One of the cruise critic members had arranged a tour there along with the tour of Split and Diocletian's Palace.
It's a town and it pre dates your period. The Greeks were there before the Roman Empire invaded.

Don't miss Trogir as it's a charming medieval village near Split. One of the cruise critic members had arranged a tour there along with the tour of Split and Diocletian's Palace.
Agreed as to Trogir--it's quaint, pretty and worth the short trip. I'd give it 2 hours.

Les

They are public buses of two types, one type is a local bus which stops a lot and takes longer than the inter city type.Both start from the Bus Depot in the dock.

Maybe as it will be very hot when you arrive a trip on the fast ferry to Hvar town. Hvar is always in the top 5 most beautiful islands in the world in some guides.The town of Hvar is as "quaint" as Trogir and is a "jet set" destination.

Can you tell me where the high speed ferry would leave from? And, perhaps the name of the ferry line name so we know what to ask for? Also, would it be beneficial to try to line up a private tour guide in Hvar? Thanks for any info you can give.

Can you tell me the name of your guide/company name?

• 1 month later...

We cruised on NCL in October 2011 from Venice to Rome (Koper, Split, Dubrovnik, Sicily, Naples, Rome). My wife’s paternal grandfather emigrated to America from a small town around Split in 1911. She went to northern Croatia in the 1990’s with her parents and got to see where her maternal grandparents came from, meet extended family, etc. but they could not get to Split due to the war in lower Croatia. So when I booked a cruise, I wanted Split on the itinerary. I never told my wife I was trying to get a tour guide for the visit to Split in the hopes the tour guide may be able to take us to the town he was from. All I had to go on was a copy of her grandfather’s baptismal certificate in Croatian. I searched for a tour guide online and settled on Matej Tomasevic. I scanned and emailed Matej the certificate. All I had hoped from Matej was just to find the town. When we arrived at the port and I let my wife know we were going with a guide and driver and hoping to find Grandpa’s town. We found Matej did WAY MORE. He visited the church on the baptismal certificate, talked the people there, and thru them found some of my wife’s family members. Matej spoke perfect English and he brought with him 2 of my wife’s relatives (who also spoke perfect English) to meet us. We drove to the church her Grandpa was baptized in and found that his parents were married there. The family name was on many tombstone markers in the church cemetery. We then were driven to the house were my wife’s Grandpa was born in, were treated to a lunch with homemade wine and grappa, and given a grand tour of the area. My wife cried like a baby with joy all day. Matej had a driver, too, so he could pay attention to us.

In a nutshell, Matej went WAY BEYOND any expectations I had when I contacted him. ALl I was hoping for was for him to find the town. Instead he found her family and even arranged for them to visit with us. I can recommend Matej to you without any reservations.

Matej (Matthew in Croatian) can be reached at matej_t@yahoo.com.

If you want to discuss Matej (or any other ports on our cruise from Venice to Rome) any further with my I can be reached at gumdentist@aol.com

Archived