Ok, Im going to say this outload...

Im sure its a stupid question for all of you in the know, but....

What is the purpose of the smaller tug like boats spraying water onto the ships..is it cleaning it? Thats what Im thinking but no facts, every time I see it and ask no one truly knows they say yes, but I think its really just to shut me up! lol

Im sure its a stupid question for all of you in the know, but....

What is the purpose of the smaller tug like boats spraying water onto the ships..is it cleaning it? Thats what Im thinking but no facts, every time I see it and ask no one truly knows they say yes, but I think its really just to shut me up! lol

As the others said, fireboats and/or tugboats with water cannons are typically used as a celebration for the arrival of a new ship. They are not spraying the ship.

They are not spraying the ship.

Sorry, I had this funny thought of a fireboat pulling up too close and actually spraying the ship (got the windage wrong?) during sailaway when eveyrone is up on top deck. :eek: :D:D

They can also be used when a Captain or member of the higher ranks is retiring. I used to be a Flight Attendant and they do the same thing to an airplane with the captain is retiring and comes back from his last flight.

How do they get those tugboats on to the runway? :D;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolen1101

They can also be used when a Captain or member of the higher ranks is retiring. I used to be a Flight Attendant and they do the same thing to an airplane with the captain is retiring and comes back from his last flight.

How do they get those tugboats on to the runway?

I seen this on show called "Airline." They also did this for real when the NY Giants came back home. They must used the emergency equipment to do this type of celebration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolen1101

How do they get those tugboats on to the runway?

I seen this on show called "Airline." They also did this for real when the NY Giants came back home. They must used the emergency equipment to do this type of celebration.

Yes. That is exactly what they do. The airplane will taxi between two Crash/Fire rigs and they will spray water from the roof and bumper turrets.:)

Indeed, as said above, it is a salute to new ships entering the harbor. We had it with QM2 on her maiden arrival in New York.

It is also sometimes done at airports, but using fire trucks, when an airline pilot is retiring and making his/her last flight, and they wash down the plane as it arrives.

shower1.jpg

Plus getting all that water past TSA.:D

Actually, they are well within TSA guidelines. They just spray 3 ounces of water. It is very difficult to see, that is why more people haven't mentioned it.

Here's part of Oasis' maiden voyage water salute at Port Everglades, taken onboard Oasis. The second picture is much better and was posted previously on Cruise Critic, showing Oasis and Allure both getting saluted just outside of Port Everglades.

R&D

999932606_oasis2009012.jpg.8d8c94625b1c4d6ff4210042292ba914.jpg

150328_10150090689151397_103249601396_7680867_7743801_n.jpg.fb6a0b61ce3a2ca018ff479a00afb7e3.jpg

Indeed, as said above, it is a salute to new ships entering the harbor. We had it with QM2 on her maiden arrival in New York.

It is also sometimes done at airports, but using fire trucks, when an airline pilot is retiring and making his/her last flight, and they wash down the plane as it arrives.

shower1.jpg

This is pre 9/11.

Now with TSA regulations this is what they do:

7062471225_fcc47c9599.jpg

Yes. That is exactly what they do. The airplane will taxi between two Crash/Fire rigs and they will spray water from the roof and bumper turrets.:)

They will also do it sometimes for flights with a number WWII vets on them. Have seen it done and it is truly something (brings goosebumps to me and tears to my eyes thinking about it)

It can also be a salute to a ship departing for the last time. Here the salute from Catalina to Monarch as she left the harbor for the last time before moving to the east coast in October 2008.

IMG_1592.jpg?t=1334013191

This tells me not to have a fire in Catalina.......;)

Archived