What happens with a death at sea (& kudos to NCL)

elhenry

My husband died on NCL Breakaway on 8/25/17 I call 911 at a 5 pm when I couldn’t wake my husband. A nurse came with a wheelchair? I helped put my husband on the floor the nurse called a code and I was pushed out on the balony by the security officer . They move him to the medical facility I was not allowed in the elevator or with my husband. I was asked to feign consent to treat I did .i got up to see as it was taking too long the officer texted them as I was on my way back the dr came out to say he was gone. They moved me to another room a handicap room everytime the phone rang the lights flashed I was missing my glasses and his license when I received my luggage . They left a bill for 10 thousand dollars on my door and charged my credit card. One hour $10,000 . They did nothing for me after that I was left alone from Friday till the ship returned on Sunday. They don’t care about anything but money . FYI cabin 9732

Karuze, I am so so sorry for your loss of your husband. And what you had to endure. Reading this actually makes me want to be able to give you a hug. I know what I experienced so I can only imagine how it was for you. We were lucky enough to have a better outcome even though it was quite stressful. I went back and read OP again. I wonder if because they were in an owners suite if that is why they got such good treatment. We were in just a Veranda Balcony.

Edited by lillulu

That makes sense, then. My friend and I cruise together, but we each use our own separate credit cards for onboard charfges. If he had an emergency, I would not expect my card to be charged. But it's probably in the fine print of the "consent to treat" form that the friend/relative is asked to sign.

I didn't sign anything for him. He was able to do that. But this time he has put his own card up and I have mine up for my daughter and myself.

We honestly didn't expect any charges since we had everything taken care of before we ever got on the ship. Guess that was naive on our part. Lesson learned.

• 1 month later...
I wa left alone from friday to Sunday. I was the worst time of my life. They were so uncaring

Very sorry, as said before, for you loss. Not sure why you are bumping this though since you just a few minutes ago started another thread about this. I understand your predicament as stated in the other thread but if you you are posting these to get NCL's attention and get them to change their minds about the financial issues the chance of that is pretty much nil.

Like everyone else, I hope it works out somehow.

I was taken ill on an NCL shipwhen cruising with my sister. I did not see the ship doctor but saw a doctor at the port next morning. He sent me to hospital for further tests and I was then informed I was to be admitted. I had pneumonia in both lungs. I was transferred to a different hospital and spent 9 nights there.

When the hospital said I needed to be admitted my sister returned to the ship in a cab to pack our things and explain our sudden departure. She was helped by staff to clear the paperwork, they charged my card on file for our account (I expect to pay this account for the days we were on the vessel), got porters to take our luggage off, accompanied her to a cab and we were officially gone. I got no refund from NCL for the lost days.

I was called everyday in my hospital room by NCL Customer Care Miami to see how I was and if I needed any help from them. I was visited by the port agent on 2 occasions to my room to see if they could help and I had their number to call if I wanted to. My husband contacted my insurance to tell them what happened, which hospital etc. and they said all things will be covered and asked if he needed to fly out to be with me. They would pay. I told him to stay at home until we had updates as to if this was necessary. My sister stayed in a hotel near me and I paid her bill with my card.

When I felt a little better my sister flew home. I booked and paid with my card online. After discharge I was in the port city for 2 more days at a hotel until I was cleared to fly home. NCL customer care still continued to call me on my cell phone. My flight home was booked by my insurance when I called them and told them I was OK to go. My flight home was to an airport 130 miles from where I live and my husband collected me. I was called at home by NCL one final time to make sure everything was fine.

A few weeks later I sat down with all of the invoices and receipts for the cruise, cab fares, hotel bills and flights for my sister, incidental expenses, fuel for picking me up etc. I filled out my insurance forms and copied every bill or receipt. About 2 weeks later they gave me 2 nights x 2 persons cruise fare, they paid my sisters hotel bill and flights, they gave me around $100 per day to cover incidentals and cabs, they paid for the fuel used to collect me from the airport and get me home. My hospital bill, my hotel bill and my flight home they settled directly with the hospital, hotel and airline respectively so I don't know how much any of that was and was never asked for anything by those vendors.

Take four lessons from this. 1. Always have insurance. 2.Call insurance as soon as you can when things go wrong, I found them really helpful and they made everything very easy and really helped take the strain of it all. 3. Have access to some cash and a card with credit available. We used both to settle incidentals that we were refunded. 4.Get receipts for everything you pay.

Yes- I would never travel without travel insurance. As they say in Aus- if you can’t afford travel insurance you can’t afford to travel. I have been lucky so far that I’ve never had to use it, but the cost of a medivac would bankrupt me. Even on my last cruise I spoke to people who had gone to see the doctor with a chest infection or cough and there bills were nearly $2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on that sailing and heard the page over the PA and hoped everything was ok, I’m so sorry that it didn’t turn out that way. Like others have said, I would start or have someone start for you a go fund me page but definitely contact your insurance company, you may have some sort of reimbursement available to you. I’m so sorry for your loss :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

op, you are to be admired for being such a wonderful daughter. Obviously you were lucky to have a wonderful father. I find this thread and the other one which tells a different story about NCLs handling of a death very interesting. I am amazed two people would see things so differently.