What happens with a death at sea (& kudos to NCL)

elhenry

How sad to lose your Father while on a wonderful Cruise but he had to have died happy just being with you and his Family. May God bless you and all of your Family and I will be on the Jewel in September and I will have a Glass of Wine in his memory. It is nice to read how NCL handled this and how good they were to you and your Family. This is why I only Cruise on NCL. The best!

Whilst your story was a very sad tale, I also found it a story of strength and togetherness of a wonderful family.

The most touching parts for me were that together your family and NCL Crew were able to work together in a respectful manner so that you were able to do what you needed to do as a family and they were able to do what they needed to do process wise.

I gather from your words that whilst your Dad is no longer with you in body he will always be with your family in spirit and that is a lovely thing. I am glad that you were all together and could continue all together as you felt the support and trust of those around you.

One of the most touching things I read was the crew members who lowered their hats in respect. They were not directly involved in the events but showed this respect. Well done.

Thank you everyone for your words of condolence and comfort. The Cruise Critic family has been very kind!

and also a shout-out to my sister, who posted earlier in this thread, who took care of matters in Pennsylvania while we were dealing with matters further south.

One of my Jewish friends said that we were essentially "sitting shiva on the ship". I like that thought, and I think Dad (Herb Henry, for those who asked for his name) would have liked it as well.

Thanks again,

Linda a.k.a. el henry

Thank you for sharing.

Just back from NY where I spent Easter with my Mom (94). For the first 90 years we weren't allowed to know her age (she even blocked her age on our passports) now she wants everyone to know!

I am so happy we (our fantastic crew!) treated your Dad with respect and dignity and your note was very touching. Please accept my condolences.

Kevin Sheehan

Touching even when the CEO of NCL posts

What a beautiful, loving tribute to your father. You sound like you are a blessed family, with much love and respect. I am so sorry that you lost your father, but hope you can take comfort in the fact that he simply moved from this world to the next in a quiet, easy way while surrounded by loved ones and doing something he loved. I am glad that the NCL took such good care of your family during the time, and that they treated your father with the dignity and respect he deserved.

Lisa

I, too, offer condolences for your loss, and wish to echo the words of all the previous posters. I am also sitting here typing with tears.

I also want to thank you for the therapy this has been for me. I am at lunch at work right now. I usually go onto CC during my lunch, which I eat at my desk. I had a personal attack of my character today that I was almost in tears over, and decided to go and read CC, as it always puts me in a better frame of mind. I have to respond to the "attack", and reading this thread has put things more into perspective for me. There are all sorts of people out there, and the threads I've read the last two weeks or so have been about people having to deal with great adversity, and I am warmed by the multitudes of well-wishers on these boards. Thank you, CCers for the grace you have shown to others; it helps even those of us who read your posts.

Sorry for your loss

Thank you for writing about how the cruise line handled this incident. I have wondered about this myself. I am glad to see that they seem to do a very good job helping passengers through a very stressful emotional situation.

This does make me feel much better about using cruises as my primary vacation as I doubt anything would be handled with this much grace in a regular hotel.

Linda, what a moving and beautiful tribute to your father. And what a wonderful man he must have been to have a daughter like you. My condolences to you and the rest of your family. Thank you for letting us in to your family and telling your story. I will take a moment on my next cruise to remember him.

My family will be spending our 20 anniversary on NCL Dawn in Oct. We will be sure to hold each other a little closer that week.

Every time I get on a cruise ship I think I have died and gone to heaven sounds like that's just what happened.

Take care.

Linda,

How very sorry David and I are to hear of the loss of your Dad, after your wonderful off-the-cuff CC Meet and Greet AND the Captain's hosting dinner with you and your Mom, sister, Karen, Brian Walters and Alfie. And we didn't know. We are astounded. So brave you and your family are to have gone through all that and still maintained dignity.

Blessings and love to all of you,

Cinci & David