What happens with a death at sea (& kudos to NCL)

elhenry

WOW what a shock for you and your family! I can't even imagine. My sincere condolences are extended to you and your family during this difficult time. Your very hearfelt, well written post, (sad as it was) gave us all some insight as to what happens when such an ordeal happens at sea. I hope this did not ruin the cruise experience for you and your family and that you will return someday soon for blue skies and calm seas.

I too am sitting here with tears welling, my condolences for your loss, and my respect for the way you have dealt with what happened.

It is nice to know that NCL and all others who were involved treated you all so well, and I loved that part when you that the crew members tipped their hats in honour of your dad

My heartfelt condolences and prayers of comfort for your family. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story of compassion and human nature and it sounds like your dad was an awesome guy that you will always have in your heart. Hugs to you and your family.

Saying, "I'm sorry" just doesn't do you justice. It is through tears that I say, "Bravo." Bravo to your parents for raising such wonderful daughters. Bravo to you for handeling yourself with the utmost of courage and class. Bravo to NCL for treating you and your family with such respect. And, finally, Bravo to your dad for sharing his last days with you, doing what you all love to do. You and your family are in my prayers and thoughts. And, you will receive a toast as we pull away from the NY Pier on the Jewel next week.

My prayers to you and your family.

I will raise my glass in a toast to your Dad on Saturday as we sail under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

el henry

I will join russianmom on Saturday and raise a glass in honor of your Dad. I am in tears reading about your loss.

Thank you for sharing and God Bless your family.

Jean

Linda, I am crying as I read this. My husband and I were on the same cruise, and we spoke to you briefly at the CC meet that you organized. What a sad experience this cruise was for you and your family. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Anne

As others have expressed, I am so sorry for your loss and I am glad that you got to spend time with your Dad when it counted.

Also, I would like to thank you for posting this story, as hard as I know it must have been. I had tears running down my cheeks just reading it, I can't imagine composing it, but it has alleviated alot of my fears. We are leaving in 4 weeks for an Alaskan cruise with my fragile 80 year old mother. It has been her life long dream to go to Alaska and she INSISTS she wants to go. Hopefully, I'll never have to experience what you have gone through, but at least I will know what to expect, should the unthinkable happen.

My sincere condolences to you and your family. That is so sad. Thank you for sharing your story with us. We were on the Epic March 31 sailing this year and a poor family lost their loved on the trip. We were in port when it happened and I am not sure how everything was handled, but after reading your story I am sure The Epic crew was as thoughtful and helpful as your crew was. Bless you.

Thanks again for sharing, and my condolences once again for your loss. After I read this, it occurred to me that the procedure might be wildly different if a death occurs several days out at sea far from a U.S. port. I wonder what happens then? Is burial at sea an option? I bet there are some lifelong diehard cruisers who would actually prefer that.

I have heard that there are morgues on board ships. But I'm not sure if that is true or not.

Thank you for sharing.

Just back from NY where I spent Easter with my Mom (94). For the first 90 years we weren't allowed to know her age (she even blocked her age on our passports) now she wants everyone to know!

I am so happy we (our fantastic crew!) treated your Dad with respect and dignity and your note was very touching. Please accept my condolences.

Kevin Sheehan

My condolences to you and your family, and a big Thank You for sharing your beautifully written story with us. We were also on the Jewel several years ago when a passenger down the hall from us passed away, and I heard several different comments from people who knew the family about how well the difficult situation was handled. It's nice to get confirmation first-hand from someone who's been through this trying ordeal.

We'll be sailing on the Jewel in a little over a month, and since I'm not a drinker, I'll send some prayers that you and your family are continuing to heal and enjoy fond memories of your Dad.