Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

RCI really screwed this one up. What I don't understand is, they knew this refit was coming, and that the room numbers would be changed.

And that is so typical of RCI. The left hand never speaks to the right. There always seems to be a huge lack of communication between the departments. You would think there would be at least one person at RCI who realized there were people already booked on this cruise and at the time of deck plan change, the cruise bookings should have been placed on temporary hold, old reservations manually changed to the new room numbers, then bookings re-opened.

I just found out about this and notified my cruise buds who have an August date. They are also in an aft deck 8 cabin.....or not! Geez!

I just booked our Alaska on Radiance...thank God she has already dry docked although no new cabins added but wow, if we had booked the Rhapsody I would be going balistic right now.

Stick with it, we need to make RCCL sit up and take notice.

I think the people who originally booked the aft should just get the sailpass key for the same geographical location. It would show the newer number is all. People who booked a side D1 would still get the same D1 it would just have a different room number on it. Some people would have paid for an E1 and get a D1 and an aft and vice versa. Some would have paid for the JS and now get a D1...just not happening! They have to abide by the physical locations no matter what they have changed the numbers to. That is all,they could face massive litigation on this.

I think the people who originally booked the aft should just get the sailpass key for the same geographical location. It would show the newer number is all. People who booked a side D1 would still get the same D1 it would just have a different room number on it. Some people would have paid for an E1 and get a D1 and an aft and vice versa. Some would have paid for the JS and now get a D1...just not happening! They have to abide by the physical locations no matter what they have changed the numbers to. That is all,they could face massive litigation on this.

The Rhapsody cabins in question are all on deck 8 and are all Junior Suites.

Here is the body of an email I sent today to Misters Fain and Goldstein;

Dear Sirs;

I am a member of the cruise critic message boards and as of today the threads regarding this issue have almost 14,000 views.

I am writing to show support for all the people affected by the Rhapsody cabin renumbering. The RIGHT thing to to do is to give the original cabin holders their cabin back. Notify the new reservations: We are sorry it inform you due to a renumbering of cabins this cabin had been previously booked and give them the $200 OBC.

I for one of MANY ,who have seen the lack of positve customer service am reconsidering making RCCL my choice of Cruise line.

I am a member of the cruise critic message boards and as of today the threads regarding this issue have almost 14,000 views.

Please have enough respect for your customers to respond personally to this matter to explain why such an easy fix was not accomplished.

Sincerely;

Nancy

Hope it helps!!!!:o

Dear Sirs;

I am writing to show support for all the people affected by the Rhapsody cabin renumbering. The RIGHT thing to to do is to give the original cabin holders their cabin back. Notify the new reservations: We are sorry it inform you due to a renumbering of cabins this cabin had been previously booked and give them the $200 OBC.

I for one of MANY ,who have seen the lack of positve customer service am reconsidering making RCCL my choice of Cruise line.

Please have enough respect for your customers to respond personally to this matter to explain why such an easy fix was not accomplished.

Sincerely;

Nancy

Hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted and sent it to both as well. I am not affected by this but I want to show my support.

The RIGHT thing to to do is to give the original cabin holders their cabin back. Notify the new reservations: We are sorry it inform you due to a renumbering of cabins this cabin had been previously booked and give them the $200 OBC.

RCI is in a real pickle here. If they do that, all they will do is replace one group of pi$$ed off people for another. Don't take that wrong. I'm on your side. Either way, RCI created this problem and is going to have a lot of really upset people.

RCI is in a real pickle here. If they do that, all they will do is replace one group of pi$$ed off people for another. Don't take that wrong. I'm on your side. Either way, RCI created this problem and is going to have a lot of really upset people.

Not really, if they handled it properly.

A proper explanation, an apology, and a decent OBC would work some wonders.

Yes, I know Puff, I'm talking about the people who booked side cabins that have now been upgraded to the aft JSs.

The people that now have the aft JS's on deck 8 (with few exceptions it seems) never had booked side cabins, or D's, or E's. Those aft cabins have entirely new numbers that were not available until after the dry dock enhancements. They got those cabins because Royal released the new numbers for booking prematurely.

Agreed. It would not have been so bad had Royal done the right thing as soon as they learned of their mistake. Royal could have told the folks in the newly booked staterooms within a day or two of booking that there had been an error and the stateroom they chose had already been sold. Instead they let this go on so long that now they are in a no win situation ... of their own making.

Please for those that lost their cabins...make a BBB complaint!! It takes about 15 mins but the more we can get the better!
I agree completely. But the Better Business Bureau has no force of law, and can do nothing if Royal Caribbean refuses to budge.

What Royal will have a much harder time of ignoring is a state attorney general's office. For those of us that recall 2007 addition of fuel surcharges to existing bookings, and in the case of some, even paid in full reservations, this approach was very valuable. All the cruise lines tried the argument: We have the authority to impose this charge. Just look at the cruise contract."

Well, after a large number of complaints to the various state's AG's offices, Florida took the lead. About 5 months later, RCI caved and refunded all money collected for existing bookings, about 21 million dollars, if I remember correctly. Carnival took a little longer, but it cost them over 40 million.

My point is this. If you have been directly impacted by the fiasco, like some of us have, file complaints with both the Better Business Bureau, and your state's attorney general. I also filed an online complaint with Florida, due to RCI's headquarters being located there.

Will it help ? Don't know. I realize the numbers are much smaller than with the fuel supplement. But something has to get RCI's attention here, and point out what they have done is wrong. Absolutely, completely wrong.

RCI caused this mess. They need to fix it.

Dear Sirs;

Sincerely;

Nancy

I too copied and pasted this into an email and sent it off... We had an aft cabin in the Med 2 years ago and would have been very upset to loose that cabin.

Hope this helps

Sochie

Nancy/Cindy/Sochie: thank you guys soooo much for taking the time to email and to try to get a good resolution for us folks.

Actually...thanks to everyone for all of your thoughts; all of you guys are amazing folks! Even if nothing ends up changing, there's some amount of consolation just knowing we're not the only ones who think this was handled so poorly.

I am still struggling to grasp the depth of what has happened here.

People originally bought JS in the aft position. Those aft cabin numbers have now changed. Which means that

1. People who purchased less expensive cabins in a different position now have been allocated JS cabins in the aft position, simply because their original cabin numbers are now the same as the original JS aft cabins after the refurb.

2. Those people who did purchase the aft JS have been put into a lower category cabin because their original cabin number is now the cabin number of the lower category after the refurb?

If this is true then why is it so difficult to fix? The people booking the cheaper cabin had no entitlement to the aft Js simply because of the cabin number change. That is the bit I don't understand. Why anger people who were prepared to pay a higher amount for others who weren't?

I think that maybe the brains haven't actually thought through this and someone lower down is doing a cover up of the blunder. Once the top people realise then I suspect it will all be made right.

People originally bought JS in the aft position. Those aft cabin numbers have now changed. Which means that

1. People who purchased less expensive cabins in a different position now have been allocated JS cabins in the aft position, simply because their original cabin numbers are now the same as the original JS aft cabins after the refurb.

2. Those people who did purchase the aft JS have been put into a lower category cabin because their original cabin number is now the cabin number of the lower category after the refurb?

If this is true then why is it so difficult to fix? The people booking the cheaper cabin had no entitlement to the aft Js simply because of the cabin number change. That is the bit I don't understand. Why anger people who were prepared to pay a higher amount for others who weren't?

I think that maybe the brains haven't actually thought through this and someone lower down is doing a cover up of the blunder. Once the top people realise then I suspect it will all be made right.

Actually, that's not quite true. I booked a junior suite corner aft last April. RCI then re-numbered that corner aft, moving that same cabin number 4 cabins forward of it previous location. All aft cabins were shifted on deck 8 around to either side of the ship. There was no price difference between junior suites located somewhere else on the ship, and the ones located on the aft end.

RCI issued new cabin numbers, that did not exist prior to the refurb, to those same aft cabins. RCI erred, and loaded the new cabin numbers into inventory,

allowing people to book cabins that had been sold months ago.

The only price difference would be whatever amount the cabins may have increased since last April. I was not downgraded to a lesser cabin, I was simply moved against my will to a new location, for the same price.

Nancy/Cindy/Sochie: thank you guys soooo much for taking the time to email and to try to get a good resolution for us folks.

Actually...thanks to everyone for all of your thoughts; all of you guys are amazing folks! Even if nothing ends up changing, there's some amount of consolation just knowing we're not the only ones who think this was handled so poorly.

Add my thanks to the mix. I try to be a reasonable person. Sometimes, that's just a little harder than normal.

Not quite right. The only changes were those who bought corner/aft and aft JS's were moved to port or starboard JS's. No changes in category.

Bear in mind that many folks are on the Alaska cruises, where the stunning scenery is the entire reason for going. They booked corner/aft and aft JS's far in advance just to have the best possible view. That's what makes this so painful for those people, and why Royal should step up and make this right for them.

I'm sorry that I don't have time to read this entire thread. I've read enough to be absolutely appalled at what Royal Caribbean is doing. It has drastically lowered my opinion of the company, enough that I don't think we will be booking the Oasis for our family vacation after all. Makes me really sorry we're already booked on the Navigator for March. If we weren't part of a group, I'd cancel and book elsewhere. I'm going to give Carnival's new ships another look.

Anyway, I'd really like to lend my voice (little as it may be) to this, in an e-mail to Royal Caribbean. Can any of you who have already written to them, share the proper e-mail address to send it. I don't suppose it will really do any good, but if enough people voice their opinion.....well, you never know.

I believe that this will be my fourth........and last post.......to request, for your benefit......that you write to the State of Florida Attorney Generals office........to let them have the fight with Royal Caribbean.

How it's handled from here, is up to you.

If it were my cabin......Royal Caribbean would be on the short end, and either giving me my cabin back, or facing charges......that will cost them dearly to have dropped.

And working with the Attorney General......your cost........maybe airfare to come to Florida to watch their attorneys dance, before caving.

But most people are like sheep...........and Royal Caribbean knows that!

I hope that you are not one of them!

Rick

Not quite right. The only changes were those who bought corner/aft and aft JS's were moved to port or starboard JS's. No changes in category.

Bear in mind that many folks are on the Alaska cruises, where the stunning scenery is the entire reason for going. They booked corner/aft and aft JS's far in advance just to have the best possible view. That's what makes this so painful for those people, and why Royal should step up and make this right for them.

Ok, thankyou both. I agree, for some it wouldn't matter where your cabin was, but for those who booked early to get the cabin they desired, then I would be pretty angry too. But more angry with the lack of understanding how upsetting this would be. Somehow obc doesn't really cut it.

So, possibly there are people who now have aft cabins who don't know it yet, and perhaps don't even want one? With a partner who is somewhat prone to seasickness, I would far prefer midship. I on the other hand, wouldn't mind trying the Aft out.

http://myfloridalegal.com/Contact.nsf/Contact

When explaining your problem, try to be as brief as possible while stating the problem. I have noticed that in this thread, even though people want to know what the problem is, it has not been described very well.

To a casual observer, it seems like you all got the same value cabin, just in a another area, very close by. You have to describe the problem better in your complaint.

Archived