Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

We would take this to the media...but are now worried that we may be kicked off cruise all together. We are traveling with 3 other families and have planned this vacation together taking time off work, scheduling airfare and it would be a HUGE imposition and cost to have them all cancel or change the cruise. So we have to go. We just wanted our Aft room back. We have read some articles about RC telling some customers that they are no longer welcome due to their "Complaining". So...we have decided that for now...we may have to lay low so that we do not impact our traveling companions.

I only know of one couple that has been banned from the RCCL family of cruise lines and in this case the cruise line was justified in their decision. They were always walking around with a hand out looking for freebies. Your situation is totally different and if RCI tried this it would backfire. Surely they aren't that stupid.

Cindy, we have had those corner aft suites on HAL. They are outstanding. I know that they were reconfigured since we have cruised a few years ago but they are nice. :)

We actually have one booked on two different ships right now!:o:rolleyes::o After I reserved our Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam, I started reading a LOT of negative comments about the condition of the ship, which is due for drydock right after our cruise. I found another awesome itinerary (Southern Caribbean) on the Noordam, and managed to get an aft-wrap suite on that ship too.:) Now I'm just trying to separate fact from fiction and make a final decision. Either way, we're excited about the suite, about the longer cruise, and about doing something besides a 7-night Western Caribbean out of Galveston.:D

Well I didn't say you shouldn't try. Logistically, you're dealing with people on one ship, who booked aft cabins, who got them wrongly changed, who are on cruise critic. What is that, like 5 people?

Every week!:D

This thread is so distressing. When I cruise in the Caribbean I use Royal and I really don't care too much how it goes, since it's not really a " unique destination" for me, as long as I have a place to sleep and some sunshine. But other trips, I notice I shy away from Royal, I may pay more, but I trust what I'm getting.

I just think after reading all these horror stories when I am ready to cruise to the Panama canal or to Asia or in Australia, the small benefits of a few free drinks in a lounge and a couple of hundred dollars off a cabin are not worth the risk of having my trip spoiled because of a lack of customer service and organization by RCL. :eek:No way- I'll find some one else to sail with when I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars to travel somewhere that is a unique adventure to me!

They reap what they sow. Therefore they only get a tiny fraction of my travel budget.( less than 10%) I understand that some of the posters are " stuck " now with flights and family already scheduled and I feel bad for them, but my motto is- Vote with your pocket book!

Every week!:D

This thread is so distressing. When I cruise in the Caribbean I use Royal and I really don't care too much how it goes, since it's not really a " unique destination" for me, as long as I have a place to sleep and some sunshine. But other trips, I notice I shy away from Royal, I may pay more, but I trust what I'm getting.

I just think after reading all these horror stories when I am ready to cruise to the Panama canal or to Asia or in Australia, the small benefits of a few free drinks in a lounge and a couple of hundred dollars off a cabin are not worth the risk of having my trip spoiled because of a lack of customer service and organization by RCL. :eek:No way- I'll find some one else to sail with when I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars to travel somewhere that is a unique adventure to me!

They reap what they sow. Therefore they only get a tiny fraction of my travel budget.( less than 10%) I understand that some of the posters are " stuck " now with flights and family already scheduled and I feel bad for them, but my motto is- Vote with your pocket book!

It's very distressing, because it could happen to anyone. People besides the aft cruisers have posted about getting bumped with no apology, so it's not a one time thing. I don't trust their customer service to repair their own errors.

I usually book a lesser category because I just don't think there is a lot more value to be had by spending a whole lot more money. I know D cabins on Allure are going to be tight for my family, and I thought about booking an upgrade many times, but in the end, I am staying put.

After reading these stories, I'm even more convinced that it's safer to spend less. As a business, I think they've got it wrong, because they are not maximizing repeat customers like me who have money to spend.

Not only are they not getting us to spend more, they are starting to aggravate us. That can't be good for business, no matter how many new cruisers they think they've got.

I've read through every post on this thread and I am shaking with anger!!! Since we can't afford to cruise that often, we take particular care to choose the cabin we really want. If this had happend to me, I would be devastated! I really feel for you. :(

Please let us know how this turns out for you...And GOOD LUCK!

Thanks to everyone for continuing to chime in -- I think there's at least some comfort in hearing how livid everyone else would be had they gotten hit with this the way many of us did.

Some years ago we booked a trip to Israel. When we got to JFK, we were told we had been moved to a different tour, with an entirely different itinerary. In a few places, hotels were downgraded. (This happened because a large convention was in Israel and the space was needed.) We went on the new tour, called the people we intended to meet up with and rearranged, and had a great time. Back home, we disputed the credit card charges and fought with the TA (who was incompetent), Amex, who was the tour organizer, and the airline. We ultimately received a very substantial payment. My guess is RCI will offer a substantial discount on a future cruise. If that is unsatisfactory, keep fighting for a cash payment.

I wish your comment here were the case. I told a senior executive customer service rep flat out that if the $200 OBC on a $5k corner aft to Alaska was all they thought this error was worth, then that would be my last sailing with RCI. I told her that, rather than the $200 OBC, I'd prefer some significant savings on a future cruise as some kind of incentive that they'd like to keep me on as a customer (seems like that would be their preferred route, right?) But when I mentioned that she basically said I'm sorry, but the $200 OBC is all we're doing. Isn't $200 OBC worth about maybe $50 to them? (I mean, I KNOW their drinks don't really cost $7 each to make...) Is that all we're worth to them? Like $50ish?

Thanks to everyone for continuing to chime in -- I think there's at least some comfort in hearing how livid everyone else would be had they gotten hit with this the way many of us did.

I wish your comment here were the case. I told a senior executive customer service rep flat out that if the $200 OBC on a $5k corner aft to Alaska was all they thought this error was worth, then that would be my last sailing with RCI. I told her that, rather than the $200 OBC, I'd prefer some significant savings on a future cruise as some kind of incentive that they'd like to keep me on as a customer (seems like that would be their preferred route, right?) But when I mentioned that she basically said I'm sorry, but the $200 OBC is all we're doing. Isn't $200 OBC worth about maybe $50 to them? (I mean, I KNOW their drinks don't really cost $7 each to make...) Is that all we're worth to them? Like $50ish?

I don't know if you have taken the time to read all of the small print in your contract, but if you are inclined to sue them, you must do it in Florida.

However, they have misrepresented themselves, and I would get the Attorney General in the state of Florida involved. Also lodge a complaint against them with the BBB.

Those two actions might get you either your room back, or a better settlement from them.

Keep up the fight!! If it were me, I would probably want Mr. Goldstein's neck in a noose, and then I believe that you would get the cabin that you originally wanted.......aft corner, or whatever cabin you had.....back!:cool:

Rick

I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if I missed something. What if the affected cruisers emailed Adam Goldstein the situation. Then posted the email on this thread. The CCers who support getting the cabin back could copy/ paste/ the email showing their support?

I know I would want the cabin I researched and would send an email showing support. :):):)

I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if I missed something. What if the affected cruisers emailed Adam Goldstein the situation. Then posted the email on this thread. The CCers who support getting the cabin back could copy/ paste/ the email showing their support?

I know I would want the cabin I researched and would send an email showing support. :):):)

Nancy, I believed that they have (or some have) and so far he has not had the willingness or courtesy to reply.

Rick

Nancy, thanks for your post. We've definitely been trying the Adam G route. Here was my initial note to him...I had actually pointed him to the CC forums back when there were "only" two threads about this:

Hi Adam,

Last June, my wife and I reserved Rhapsody's X/X/2012 Alaskan sailing in the starboard corner aft junior suite, formerly suite #8588. We were notified a week ago that the suite numbers have now changed following Rhapsody's recent revitalization and that new customers were booked into our suite location.

It would seem that the newly booked patrons are getting to keep our long-reserved cabin, rather than RCI customer service doing the right thing, which should be to relocate those accidentally-booked folks into a room that was not already sold.

We're extremely upset. Worse is that I'm just one of many that this has affected, and folks are starting to get pretty fired up, to the point of starting the spread the word outside of just RCI customer service. See the topics below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1599091

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524253 (folks start realizing what happened starting on page 2)

Please fix this for us, and please also consider helping the other folks affected by this. I understand a small onboard credit is being offered to some displaced patrons, but this isn't what we want, especially given the small amount offered ($200). We just want what we reserved.

My wife and I took our honeymoon with RCI (our first cruise ever), and since then we've sailed almost exclusively with RCI (except for one cruise where our friends chose the cruise line). We currently have 2 RCI open bookings for this year, and until this happened we were planning on many more. Please don't give up our business forever by not fixing the unforgivable handling of this mistake.

Thanks,

XXXXX

And here was the reply I received:

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for writing to Mr. Goldstein’s office regarding your up-coming sailing onboard the Rhapsody of the Seas. Your correspondence was carefully reviewed, and it has been directed to my attention to respond on Mr. Goldstein’s behalf.

We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me at the following number.

XXXXXX

Royal Caribbean International

Executive Guest Relations

1-888-767-xxxx Ext. xxxxx

Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 5 pm E.S.T.

Mr. XXXXXX, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We look forward to discussing this with you in the near future.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX

I honestly thought I had gotten somewhere when I got a reply from "executive" guest relations. But, of course when I spoke with them on the phone, it was the "here's $200 OBC, that's all we're doing" conversation. It wasn't a pleasant conversation, as I assume no one else's was that found this out. So sadly, here we are.

For what it's worth, I've stopped contacting news, media, etc at this point -- my wife is just too bent out of shape about all of it and just wants me to try and make the best of a really bad situation. I guess I understand that. But that doesn't mean I think we as a group should stop pushing. I'll continue to check the forums and hope for the best :)

Nancy, thanks for your post. We've definitely been trying the Adam G route. Here was my initial note to him...I had actually pointed him to the CC forums back when there were "only" two threads about this:

And here was the reply I received:

I honestly thought I had gotten somewhere when I got a reply from "executive" guest relations. But, of course when I spoke with them on the phone, it was the "here's $200 OBC, that's all we're doing" conversation. It wasn't a pleasant conversation, as I assume no one else's was that found this out. So sadly, here we are.

For what it's worth, I've stopped contacting news, media, etc at this point -- my wife is just too bent out of shape about all of it and just wants me to try and make the best of a really bad situation. I guess I understand that. But that doesn't mean I think we as a group should stop pushing. I'll continue to check the forums and hope for the best :)

Chris, excellent letter to Mr. Goldstein. Unfortunately, Royal Caribbeans answer to you.......was less than satisfactory.

Sorry that your bride feels the way that she does.....but women power....is what it's all about, and it's probably just the best to drop it. That is sad.

Will you ever sail with RCCL again?? If not......let Goldstein know, and why.

Rick

That is simply disgusting. I wonder how our Australian consumer laws sit with that. Did you book thru an Aussie T?

you can fight with RCI, up to and including small claims court.

I totally agree with those who find Royal's actions inexcusable. I also agree that further action to publicize their behaviour is the way to go.

However, some of the comments are just plain silly. Cruise line contracts do not guarantee cabin location or itinerary. So suggesting court action about either makes no sense. What would anyone expect a court to do when RCI has not violated the contract?

Don't misunderstand me. Being legal does not make it right, and, as I said, I agree that all possible pressure should be put upon RCI to do the right thing. Talking about lawsuits, though, is ridiculous.

Incidentally, involuntary cabin relocations because a cruise line chooses to sell a group of contiguous cabins is also dastardly, in my opinion, but has been reported on CC for many years. Relocations because of lifeboat restrictions happen too, but obviously represent a mistake by the cruise line, and are often not compensated. (Happens, for example, when too many cabins have higher than anticipated occupancy)

I would agree about the pursuit of suing someone when there is so much fine print involved. But where a cruise line takes your money for a balcony cabin, and then, at the Port, downgrades this to an internal cabin, well, no amount of fine print can rub that away. And goes against all Consumer protection legislation, well, here in Australia, anyway. It's like a bait tactic.

Since it is so common sense fair and logical to fix the error by giving the cabin to the first pax that booked the cabin, and the new pax the obc or bump to a higher catagory for the mistake............ could it be RCCL doesn't want to upset the new pax in that cabin? Maybe they are RCCL brass, VIP or something?

They are deciding that newer reservation is more impt than the old and ignoring the reasonable request to get your cabin back. Must be a reason. Since it looks like you will sail anyway, I think I'd try to learn who those new pax are and if their might be a reason RCCL is catering to them instead of doing what is fair/logical.

I just had a thought...... you have not made the final payment yet, when you have to make the payment, say I am making this payment for the cabin I originally booked. Otherwise RCCL will have to make adjustments. Are you dealing with a TA if so they should be contacting customer resolutions, with you on a 3 way call.

I am a RCI cheerleader to be sure, but the company is wrong about this one. It would have been best to have stepped up immediately upon discovering the error and relocated the second set of passengers who booked the aft cabins in question with a sincere apology and a nice onboard credit or an option to cancel the cruise without penalty. As it is, the situation is only going to get worse. Since we know that only a small portion of cruisers read Cruise Critic, I can only wonder (as others have said) how many people will be boarding only to discover that their eagerly anticipated aft cabins are now located along the sides. I wouldn't want to be a member of the Guest Services Team on the Rhapsody this summer.

I just had a thought...... you have not made the final payment yet, when you have to make the payment, say I am making this payment for the cabin I originally booked. Otherwise RCCL will have to make adjustments. Are you dealing with a TA if so they should be contacting customer resolutions, with you on a 3 way call.

But I wonder, is the cabin number the same, just in a different position? The issue hasn't really been explained clearly.

You're joking, right?

But I wonder, is the cabin number the same, just in a different position? The issue hasn't really been explained clearly.

The deck plan on RCCL's website shows 8588 as a starboard JS. The cabin number is the same as booked, the location has changed.

Since it is so common sense fair and logical to fix the error by giving the cabin to the first pax that booked the cabin, and the new pax the obc or bump to a higher catagory for the mistake............ could it be RCCL doesn't want to upset the new pax in that cabin? Maybe they are RCCL brass, VIP or something?

They are deciding that newer reservation is more impt than the old and ignoring the reasonable request to get your cabin back. Must be a reason. Since it looks like you will sail anyway, I think I'd try to learn who those new pax are and if their might be a reason RCCL is catering to them instead of doing what is fair/logical.

I would think this if it were a handful of us affected on one or two sailings, but that's not the case at all, it's all the sailings.

As further evidence, many of us have been told by RCI, "we contacted the passengers that have reserved the corner aft (or aft) suite you originally booked and explained the situation. Those passengers have declined relocating to another suite." So not only are they nothing special, but they are taking advantage of a lucky mistake in their favor. I don't think RCI would have called to even "ask" them to relocate if they were VIPs.

Or...I guess they could be lying to us about attempting to get those folks to relocate; either way it means the originally booked passengers get shafted, so it's equally bad.

I would think this if it were a handful of us affected on one or two sailings, but that's not the case at all, it's all the sailings.

As further evidence, many of us have been told by RCI, "we contacted the passengers that have reserved the corner aft (or aft) suite you originally booked and explained the situation. Those passengers have declined relocating to another suite." So not only are they nothing special, but they are taking advantage of a lucky mistake in their favor. I don't think RCI would have called to even "ask" them to relocate if they were VIPs.

Or...I guess they could be lying to us about attempting to get those folks to relocate; either way it means the originally booked passengers get shafted, so it's equally bad.

At this point, it looks like you only have two options. Cancel or go and make the best of the situation as it looks as if RCI has washed their hands of it. If you go then you have a decision to make with your future cruise bookings. Do you give them to RCI or try another cruise line? Personally, that would be the last dollar RCI would get from me. I hope it all works out for you and you can enjoy the cruise.

At this point, it looks like you only have two options. Cancel or go and make the best of the situation as it looks as if RCI has washed their hands of it. If you go then you have a decision to make with your future cruise bookings. Do you give them to RCI or try another cruise line? Personally, that would be the last dollar RCI would get from me. I hope it all works out for you and you can enjoy the cruise.

Well, and the third option is to continue to push for public exposure and hope they change course, which is I think the main point of this thread. Sounds like people are beating the streets and that's what the issue needs.

If the handling of mistake doesn't change, this will for sure be my last dollar to them, and I've told them that. They just don't care. And the sad thing is, I really like RCI. Really, a lot. We've had great times on them; our RCI Western Caribbean honeymoon trip (first cruise ever) was the best time of my life and is what got us addicted to cruising. But then I look at this situation, and I feel like I've been treated like dirt. It just overshadows every positive thought I have about them, and I can't seem to get past it. It's a vacation, for pete's sake...it just shouldn't be this stressful and disheartening.

I'm going on my first RCI cruise in August. I can see how upsetting this would be. I don't understand why it's easy for RCI to disregard the original cruiser's cabin reservation, but they treat the new cruiser so special - I mean, the same way they so easily tell the first booker "sorry you're unhappy", why couldn't they have said that to the new booker - "sorry, we made a mistake, your room had already been booked"?

I know it's not the new person's fault. I'm just surprised that someone made the decision that the original cabin booker wasn't worthy.

Like I said, my first RCI cruise is in August and you better believe that when I booked that aft JS, it was 100% based on location, not cabin number.

Keeping an eye on this thread to see if anything changes...has anyone had luck getting ahold of tv or print journalists regarding this issue?

Archived