Outrageous Airfare

LMKakaThing2

Just looked up the airfare for my 10/29 Sky cruise out of Miami and they want $450 r/t pp out of Cleveland(and surrounding airports) :eek:. That's $900 total for me and my mom...almost the price of our 4 day cruise :eek:. After doing some research, I discovered the Jewel out of NY. For about $200 total, we can switch to the Jewel and drive 8hrs to the port. I'll be willing to give up my Aft-facing balcony for an oceanview if it means I get 3 extra days onboard a beautiful ship. :D

Anyone else come across some outrageous airfare?

same here, still scratching my head, 3 of us from atlanta to baltimore $1000 avg. then still need to add the baggages fee go and back .....but driving 14 hrs, going not the problem coming back is ( vacation is over so the energies)......last i checked was $176pp we didn't booked the cruise then, now that we had the cruise air is on the up now is $300+ pp:(

Yes, I imagine that when we get to 30 years, I'll be pickier about finding the perfect trip! We're just celebrating 4 this summer--we have a ways to go to catch you guys! Congrats on a long marriage worthy of celebration!

Thanks, and this summer's Epic cruise will be for our 35th anniversary.

I noticed that your upcoming cruise is a Baltic cruise this summer. I posted in one of my replies my Baltic cruise review. Although it was for a different ship (Star Princess) than you will be on, I'm sure many of the ports are the same. I hope you read it and find something helpful.

I am on the Breakaway inaugural out of Southhampton. Airfare not available for April 2013 yet but just for fun did a comparison for Detroit/Toledo to London Gatwick.

Detroit to London non stop r/t $1005

Detroit to london non stop one way $1300 (yes more then r/t)

and the kicker,

Toledo, OH to London, $883 r/t. Toledo-Chicago-Manchester-London. Using 3 aircraft, 3 airports and 3 sets of pilots and flight attendants and still cheaper, go figure!

bigfig63, come and visit and join the BREAKAWAY roll call from Southhampton to NY.

Wish I would have seen this earlier, but looks like it all worked out for you. 7 day cruise is definately better then 4 day, although we are going on the Sky next month.

That being said we are in the Akron area, and fly out of Pit quite often. I checked on your dates and it would only be $500 for both of you out of Pit. Last year I got a flight out of Pit and had to stop in Cle and it was cheaper(go figure).

I have learned to watch air fares daily, as the prices go up and down sometimes every day. When we flew to Ft lauderdale last year I found on the Delta site 1st class for $325 ea from Detroit. I called Delta to ask a question about this fare and the agent said she could not bring up that price on her screen that it must be a glitch in the system or an online special and to book it right away if I wanted it, which I did. But this is not the first time I have seen big price drops that only last a few hours or maybe a day.

Another good example is I rented a car thru Budget for Jan 2013 a few months ago. The best price I could find for a full size was $388 for a week. Then last week they offered (but only for 2 days) the same car rental for $183.00 if you prepaid it and the reservation is cancelable for a $10.00 fee.

You just have to keep vigilant and keep a close eye on these sites daily.

Good luck!

May I suggest driving to Albany instead of NYC? My sister and I did that for our cruise on the Jewel last fall. Parking in Albany was $10/day. We took the AMTRAK to Manhattan for less than $40 per person each way and after a ten minute cab ride from Penn Station, we were at the pier.

At $80 round trip, not the best suggestion. With already driving, go another 1 1/2 hours south on the Thruway, get off at New Paltz and drive to Poughkeepsi. Parking is $6/day with free weekends. Metro north needs no reservations, Amtrak does, and trains run about every hour. Rate is about$32 round trip. Good service to Grand Central.

according to clark howard (who is a well known financial wiz) the best time to book airfare is 3 months before. perhaps if you wait a little longer you may find a better deal :)

For our flight on April 29th, JFK to BCN round trip we paid in January $960.00 per person. In February the same flight was $ 1932.00 per person:eek:. Today ( 2 weeks prior to departure ) the same flight is $ 880.00 per person:mad:. So, you never know....:confused::rolleyes:

Just looked up the airfare for my 10/29 Sky cruise out of Miami and they want $450 r/t pp out of Cleveland(and surrounding airports) :eek:. That's $900 total for me and my mom...almost the price of our 4 day cruise :eek:. After doing some research, I discovered the Jewel out of NY. For about $200 total, we can switch to the Jewel and drive 8hrs to the port. I'll be willing to give up my Aft-facing balcony for an oceanview if it means I get 3 extra days onboard a beautiful ship. :D

Anyone else come across some outrageous airfare?

Have you thought about going to NY via Amtrak? For 2 adults it would be $148 (FOR BOTH). There is a lot info at their website. From Cleveland, the train would leave around 5:30am & get to Penn Station around 6:30pm. It's longer than driving, but you wouldn't have to pay the $35 a day to park your car.

Hope this helps. Enjoy which ever cruise you choose. We will be on the Star repo to New York to New Orleans on Oct. 21 - can't wait!!!

Airfare is high regardless of where you are going. We lucked out on our upcoming cruise on the Epic in October. We chose to embark in Rome so we could fly in early and tour Rome for 3 days. I knew air is less going into Rome than Barcelona. We found air for $754 including taxes per person round trip from JFK on Aer Lingus. Have a stopover in Dublin each way, but at that price, who cared? Booked the air in January for October. Air went up $200 p/p shortly after we booked. I have never ever seen airfare that cheap to Europe.

The balcony price we paid for the cruise was $999 - another price I haven't seen on any other cruise line, so I would have paid up to $1,000 p/p for air if I had to because the cruise price was so cheap.

The cost of air is turning a lot of people off vacationing this year. Unless oil prices go down, I don't think you are going to see prices coming down on air until September or October if it goes down at all.

Yes, air fare is stealing my joy! We need tickets from somewhere in the northeast to somewhere in south Florida (I've tried every airport I could). It's nearly $900 everywhere I look. We need it in August though so we'll wait a little longer to book.

My experience with American from bos to mia is about 300pp +or- 20 plus 25 per checked bag.

I usually lok at kayak to check out air.

geo

Some sites do not list all airlines..Air Tran, Jet Blue, etc. Check Kayak and also the airline website itself. We had a great deal to FLL last year on JB for 232. direct flights from Boston and my DD has a flight in June from Hartford to Orlando on JB at 236.00

I agree with Mom. If you haven't been to NY, I'd absolutely do this - just like we are doing for Rome. If you want wome ideas of great inexpensive (and free) things to do in NY - let me know.

I had actually discussed taking a train or even the Megabus that someone mentioned earlier but my mom seems to be pretty adamant about driving. She even suggested leaving a few days earlier and sightseeing while in NY.

In 2007-2008 when airfare from Boston to Florida was about $600pp (1800 for three of us) we decided to drive twice.

It was a long 24 hour drive... so we did some sightseeing on the way. Stopped in St Augustin one time, and in Savannah another. And back home was non-stop. Only tool 22 hours. :D

But we had laptop with the internet, DVD player and airbed in the back of our SUV, so 1 person could sleep comfortably. I don't think we would survive bus with 9487293487 stops and busload of strangers :).

I agree with Mom. If you haven't been to NY, I'd absolutely do this - just like we are doing for Rome. If you want wome ideas of great inexpensive (and free) things to do in NY - let me know.

I would love some ideas on what to do in NY. I'm really excited about sailing past the statue of Liberty while on my balcony.

I would love some ideas on what to do in NY. I'm really excited about sailing past the statue of Liberty while on my balcony.

Why not visit it? You do have to make reservations with Statue cruises- AND get an access pass, at least into the base. You also need a starboard cabin. You may also be interested in staying out and going under the Verrazano bridge.

Be selective in your hotel location, which may negate any savings, since you will be subject to parking fees. But staying in Manhattan is superior to staying elsewhere.

Head to your library and take out NYC travel books, Fodors and Frommers are especially informative. Figure out, what you wish to see and do.

Some sites do not list all airlines..Air Tran, Jet Blue, etc. Check Kayak and also the airline website itself. We had a great deal to FLL last year on JB for 232. direct flights from Boston and my DD has a flight in June from Hartford to Orlando on JB at 236.00

Great point! It pays to look around and talk it up like these boards.....so much info!

geo

Archived