The Significantly Less Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Allure of the Seas

Hi Brian! I haven't been on here lately as we have opted to do a land vaca this year, so I was pleasantly surprised to see your review. You know I am a huge fan :)

Hey, Melissa! Glad you came by. I was wondering if you were going to stop and say hello. :)

OK it is Sunday and we are waiting patiently;)

And some of us are waiting...not so patiently...Just kiddin' :rolleyes:

Coming up soon!

Part 10: Lazy Day at Sea

Day 5 at sea was an especially lazy one. My wife, mother-in-law, daughter and I went to Johnny Rockets for breakfast. I wouldn’t say that Johnny Rockets is especially good for breakfast, but it’s not bad either. It’s a typical diner breakfast – eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast.

That evening we were going to Rita’s Fiesta and my daughter decided that she wanted to join us. So I walked across to Rita’s and added her. Not a problem.

We had a 9:30 appointment with the Loyalty Ambassador. We booked a European cruise for the summer, 2013. Woo hoo!

Most of the day was spent in the Solarium, relaxing, snoozing, reading, listening to podcasts and generally remembering I didn’t care about very much at that moment. It was a particularly windy day on the pool deck and it was actually a little cool. Well, not in the Solarium. It was hot and we welcomed the occasional breeze.

d7b20af2.jpg

Daughter, wife and sister chillaxin’ in the Solarium

5e1c78db.jpg

Day 5 BBC time! (I’m having a Frozen Lemonade)

We took our time getting back to the room and getting ready for dinner. It was formal night, but we weren’t partaking in the ritual since the Fiesta was that evening. Rita’s was at 8:30 PM and we had Ice Games at 7:30. We met my parents at the Champagne & Martini Bar where they were enjoying a drink before Ice Games.

5b275694.jpg

Cheers!

Ice Games was very well done. The theme was a little odd, but the performers were excellent!

413bd213.jpg

Monopoly pieces?

ae104d14.jpg

Amazing hula hooper

79ba4f1e.jpg

High Roller

Next – Part 11: Rita’s Fiesta

Part 11: Rita’s Fiesta

After the ice show, we walked through the Promenade and then up to the Boardwalk to get to Rita’s Cantina for the Fiesta. Each of us was given a bracelet with three tabs on it, one for each drink. Margaritas are encouraged, but you can order pretty much any drink you want. My daughter had a red bracelet; she could only have soda. Everyone else had a green one.

We weren’t waiting long when chips and salsa was brought to the table. Along with the salsa, they brought over small dishes of Pico de Gallo. I used that on some of my chips instead of the salsa. Then we all ordered our first round of drinks. After drinking about half my margarita, the staff started encouraging everyone to join in the train snaking around the restaurant. I’m not much of a dancer, but I joined in. I was determined to have a good time!

c366779a.jpg

Feeling HOT! HOT! HOT!

Then we were lead out to the Boardwalk where we had to line dance. I really dislike line dancing, but I followed along and I was happy I did. Nelson, our cabin steward, was across the way at Johnny Rockets while we were dancing. He came over to tell us how much he enjoyed our show.

th_f33025a3.jpg

Video of us line dancing

When we got back to the table, we had definitely danced up an appetite. Plates of appetizers were placed on the table that included taquitos and other Mexican styled appetizers. I wasn’t completely sure what I was eating, but it all tasted pretty good.

02312418.jpg

Enjoying appetizers with my daughter

Dinner was chicken and steak fajitas and they come out all mixed together on one plate. It tastes okay, nothing special. But we were having a good time, so no one really minded.

d498adc9.jpg

Chinese food?

After dinner the dance contest began. The emcee went around to each table choosing one person to be part of the “contest”. The women went first and my sister was chosen. Of course everyone is a winner and you are given a shot of tequila. My sister didn’t seem to mind that part.

0b9c4f2b.jpg

Tequila!

So when the men had to be selected it was between my dad and me. So of course I was chosen. Here’s a video of me dancing proving why I should never be required to dance.

th_e53c6682.jpg

I did also enjoy the shot of tequila.

At the end of dinner the emcee got on the microphone and announced that he wanted everyone to know that Rita’s Cantina would soon be no more. It would become Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville. I’m not sure it matters. Other than Fiesta night, Rita’s is not crowded. I’m not sure that Margaritaville will solve that problem. Hopefully the Fiesta will go on either way. It’s a great way to spend an evening.

My wife and daughter wanted to go see Mo5aic, the headliner, again. I came along since I had missed it the night before. We walked right into the theater without checking our reservations (which we did not have). The show was good, they are very talented, but I wish they sang more songs and did less shtick. I think they only performed 5 or 6 songs in the 50 minute show. But it was still enjoyable.

Next – Part 12: Nachi Cocum in Cozumel

Love the dancing, Brian! You are much braver than I am! LOL We had a great time at Rita's Fiesta - there's just something fun about it, and I hope it isn't taken away. Glad you were able to see Mo5aic! I thought they were very talented, but agree that there is quite a bit of 'wasted space.'

OH - CONGRATS on booking next year's cruise! Will this be a family cruise, or just for you and your wife? Excited for you!

It's a great way to spend the day! Passes are $75 for adults and $55 for children and transportation is $15 for round trip bus. You can cab it yourself, but I think in this instance I would go with the bus. So $90 and $70.

Thanks Brian, it's something to think about. We're doing a B2B in December on Allure..........can't wait!!

After the ice show, we walked through the Promenade and then up to the Boardwalk to get to Rita’s Cantina for the Fiesta. Each of us was given a bracelet with three tabs on it, one for each drink. Margaritas are encouraged, but you can order pretty much any drink you want. My daughter had a red bracelet; she could only have soda. Everyone else had a green one.

We weren’t waiting long when chips and salsa was brought to the table. Along with the salsa, they brought over small dishes of Pico de Gallo. I used that on some of my chips instead of the salsa. Then we all ordered our first round of drinks. After drinking about half my margarita, the staff started encouraging everyone to join in the train snaking around the restaurant. I’m not much of a dancer, but I joined in. I was determined to have a good time!

c366779a.jpg

Feeling HOT! HOT! HOT!

Then we were lead out to the Boardwalk where we had to line dance. I really dislike line dancing, but I followed along and I was happy I did. Nelson, our cabin steward, was across the way at Johnny Rockets while we were dancing. He came over to tell us how much he enjoyed our show.

th_f33025a3.jpg

Video of us line dancing

When we got back to the table, we had definitely danced up an appetite. Plates of appetizers were placed on the table that included taquitos and other Mexican styled appetizers. I wasn’t completely sure what I was eating, but it all tasted pretty good.

02312418.jpg

Enjoying appetizers with my daughter

Dinner was chicken and steak fajitas and they come out all mixed together on one plate. It tastes okay, nothing special. But we were having a good time, so no one really minded.

d498adc9.jpg

Chinese food?

After dinner the dance contest began. The emcee went around to each table choosing one person to be part of the “contest”. The women went first and my sister was chosen. Of course everyone is a winner and you are given a shot of tequila. My sister didn’t seem to mind that part.

0b9c4f2b.jpg

Tequila!

So when the men had to be selected it was between my dad and me. So of course I was chosen. Here’s a video of me dancing proving why I should never be required to dance.

th_e53c6682.jpg

I did also enjoy the shot of tequila.

At the end of dinner the emcee got on the microphone and announced that he wanted everyone to know that Rita’s Cantina would soon be no more. It would become Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville. I’m not sure it matters. Other than Fiesta night, Rita’s is not crowded. I’m not sure that Margaritaville will solve that problem. Hopefully the Fiesta will go on either way. It’s a great way to spend an evening.

My wife and daughter wanted to go see Mo5aic, the headliner, again. I came along since I had missed it the night before. We walked right into the theater without checking our reservations (which we did not have). The show was good, they are very talented, but I wish they sang more songs and did less shtick. I think they only performed 5 or 6 songs in the 50 minute show. But it was still enjoyable.

Great job Brian!!! Looks like your whole family had a great time!! I'm sorry Rita's is going.......I was looking forward to visiting it when onboard. Wonder when it will change to Margaritaville.

Patty

You are a brave man, Brian! Ive never volunteered for a Royal contest, because in this day and age of cell phone cameras it will live on in infamy:eek:;) Clearly your family were the "cruise characters!" of your cruise, between the Love and Marriage and the dance contest! Looks like you all had a great time!:D

We had a 9:30 appointment with the Loyalty Ambassador. We booked a European cruise for the summer, 2013. Woo hoo!

That's AWESOME, congrats to you! It's also a way we can all enjoy a Eurporean cruise. Thanks ;)

And the videos were great...dancing is always easier after a few margaritas! We had heard mixed reviews on Rita's prior to our cruise so we opted to try other dining venues, but it does look like everyone has fun during the Fiesta. As far as Margaritaville goes...I know the food may not be top of the line in fine cuisine, but the food isn’t my main reason for going. I love the music, the atmosphere, the “Jimmy effect” and the fact that it generally takes me away to a better frame of mind. The music itself is a great escapism from a busy, stressful workday! I never miss an opportunity to visit a Margaritaville - that will be enough reason for me to book my second Allure cruise :D

Look forward to next installment!

Thanks for the fun update! You're a better line dancer than you think! I was watching the videos and my husband came in and decided he wants to book Rita's Fiesta. So now that's 4 of our 7 nights taken up with a schedule, when we promised not to live on a schedule this cruise. Ha!

Congrats on the Europe cruise. Celebrity? We are looking at an Italian Med cruise next year for our 15th anniversary. Maybe we'll see you there!

Thanks everyone!

As for volunteering, I definitely did not volunteer. :p

As for the cruise next summer, Celebrity Equinox, 12-night Overnight Venice cruise. Check it out swwake! And maybe we will see you there! :D

And Buffet fan, there was never any doubt that you would be happy with Margaritaville. ;)

Hey Brian, still loving and appreciating every second of your review. Just wondering if the Bam Bams are included in the Rose Hall price??? And if there is any snorkeling off the beach there??

Yes, Bam Bams or any other drink is included except premium liquors (I believe). You are paying an all inclusive price.

I didn't see if there was snorkeling, but all non-motorized water sports were included. There's a good chance they have snorkel equipment. I would contact them directly if that's important.

Sorry for the continued delay. I will finish shortly.

Hope you feel better, Brian!

Brian- thanks, really loving the review!!!

BTW- that giant bean bag game that you referred to is called "corn hole"....lol:)

LOL - I'm originally from NY and had never heard of corn hole until I moved to WV. ;)

Archived