The Significantly Less Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Allure of the Seas

Part 7: MDR for the First Time!

For any of you that followed my Oasis review, you will know that I never ate in the Main Dining Room (MDR) for dinner. I did have one lunch in the MDR on Oasis, but that’s not the same as dinner. Dinner is where the action is.

We had My Time Dining (MTD) and there is a specific entrance for those with MTD on Deck Five. At first glance, the dining room looks typical for a Royal Caribbean ship. However, this dining room has three tiers. I guess Freedom class ships have three tiers also, but I’ve never been on a Freedom class ship. (But I’d be glad to go if anyone wants to send me!) The other striking difference was that the traditional “holes” in the middle on the upper tiers had “islands” in them. These were almost floating sections that partially filled the holes with small entrances to them on two sides, fore and aft. You could still look down to the other tiers of the dining room. I thought that these sections were striking in appearance. Hopefully you can see what I mean from the picture:

5b06322b.jpg

The entrance to the "floating" section on the left side

The entrance to the dining room is a very nice hall with sitting areas between the maître d’ station and the dining room proper. In the sitting areas, one on the right and one are the left, are the self-serve wine stations. I never used these; we always ordered our wine from our waitress. When we came in around 6:30 each day the maître d’ was never busy. At most there were one or two parties ahead of us. There were two lines, those with reservations and those without. We had reservations, so we were always on the left side line. Interestingly, there were almost always the same number of people waiting on either line. One night my dad thought that the non-reservation line would move more quickly since it was shorter, so he got on that one. Our line moved more quickly.

We were seated at a table behind the “island” all the way at the back of the dining room. My first thought was, “why do we need to be so far back in this corner?” I never thought it again and I was happy with the table the rest of the cruise. Yes, we were seated here the rest of the cruise. Our waitress was Valerie (incorrectly spelled Valrie on the card placed on the table) and she was, “practically perfect in every way.” I mentioned her on my evaluation card at the end of the cruise. She did a great job. It’s really amazing to me, someone that forgets people’s names seconds after they tell me, that our waitress and assistant waitress remembered our names every night after we told them once. They must send them for training on that.

I had a Caprese Salad and the Tiger Shrimp, two things I’ve had several times on Royal Caribbean ships in the past. I was not upset about this because I enjoyed both the way I would enjoy going to a restaurant I frequent and having a dish I liked in the past.

For dessert I ordered the warm chocolate cake with a side of vanilla ice cream. It had a slide of almond brittle on the top. This is the answer to Carnival’s Chocolate Melting Cake. I will say that the Royal version does not stack up! Carnival’s dessert that is discussed so often is clearly the winner here. I’m not really a huge fan of either, I prefer sweet desserts to chocolate desserts, but Carnival’s version wins hands down. The Royal Caribbean version just did not have a lot of flavor. It also came with a side of vanilla ice cream, which should have been on the side of the plate so it melted a little with the cake. But instead was in an ice cream dish, literally on the side.

3d288d82.jpg

Royal Caribbean’s “Chocolate Melting Cake”

I mentioned earlier that the lines were never bad at the My Time Dining entrance when we got there at 6:30. Well as we exited between 8 and 8:30, the lines were out the door. Each line had at least 10 parties waiting. However, it did seem that they were moving along at a slow pace. Just something to be aware of if you plan on doing MTD.

Dinner was nice, dinner was relaxing, and dinner was fun. I have no complaints with the Main Dining Room. In fact, I’d have to say I enjoyed it. As much as I did the specialty restaurants? Well, no, I can’t say that. But that’s to be expected. One is a nice dining experience in a nice restaurant and the other is fine dining.

After dinner we headed for the AquaTheater and OceanAria. Such a beautiful show! I recommend getting there as early as possible to secure good seats. Here are some pictures:

74feb5f6.jpg

a6309745.jpg

b709a799.jpg

05fff492.jpg

Next – Day 4: Jamaica mon!

Sorry for the delay, a bit under the weather.

Sorry your not feeling well. Enjoying the review!! Has anyone guess the state yet named in the Bible!?!? Dont want to blurt it out if it is supposed to still be a secret!

Sorry your not feeling well. Enjoying the review!! Has anyone guess the state yet named in the Bible!?!? Dont want to blurt it out if it is supposed to still be a secret!

Thanks. No one has yet. Feel free to answer if you want.

ok so now I know at least one answer for our trip.

I think what I might do is not play the first week but I could just sit and get the answers then go back the second week and play. Really won't be fair the second week if I had already played.;)

I just checked my Royal Caribbean account. Congratulate me, I'm Diamond! :)

Also, these were in my stateroom during this cruise:

3ef265e3.jpg

My Emerald recognition pin! :D

Congratulations!

What a great review and awesome pictures! Reading your review has me so so excited for my upcoming Oasis cruise!:D Thanks for sharing!

ok so now I know at least one answer for our trip.

I think what I might do is not play the first week but I could just sit and get the answers then go back the second week and play. Really won't be fair the second week if I had already played.;)

LOL.........never thought about doing that. I'm terrible at trivia!

First, feel better.... I need more "review" time.

Second, congrats on the Diamond status! I'll be Platinum this summer! Slowly but surely moving throughout the ranks. Not sure if I'll catch up with you thought.

Third, love the trivia. I'm terrible at it too, and will probably forget it after I hit the submit button. Oh well. I remember my family and friends - that should count for something.

Fourth, are you feeling better yet??? I need more "review" time. :D

So thoroughly enjoying your review Brian, but I must say I am totally jealous, we never received any Emerald pins!!

Pins?? Are we supposed to get pins?? We never got Platinum or Diamond Pins! Oh well, maybe they'll remember to give us one when we reach Diamond Plus (hopefully soon).........LOL

I just checked my Royal Caribbean account. Congratulate me, I'm Diamond! :)

Also, these were in my stateroom during this cruise:

3ef265e3.jpg

My Emerald recognition pin! :D

Grr! I have yet to ever get a pin or notice of the move up in my room. I also just turned diamond...and I'd better get my darn pin on Allure or I am marching right down to the LA and demanding one;):D

Brian- hope you are feeling better!

Thanks for the great info and photo's. Although I won our future Allure cruise at bingo on Adventure we did have to pay to upgrade to a JS;). I think I will save the $200 and just spend the day at the beach and wandering around.

The cabanas are nice for those that would enjoy them, but I'm with you, not paying $200 for one because we really don't even sit much when on private islands. We're either in the water, eating or walking around. I bet we sit on our lounge chairs for no more than an hour the entire day.

But for those that enjoy them, I think it's great that they are offered but I honestly think $200 is a bit to steep. It's not like your getting free drinks and a surf and turf lunch...........LOL

Enjoy your cruise.

So thoroughly enjoying your review Brian, but I must say I am totally jealous, we never received any Emerald pins!!

Pins?? Are we supposed to get pins?? We never got Platinum or Diamond Pins! Oh well, maybe they'll remember to give us one when we reach Diamond Plus (hopefully soon).........LOL

Grr! I have yet to ever get a pin or notice of the move up in my room. I also just turned diamond...and I'd better get my darn pin on Allure or I am marching right down to the LA and demanding one;):D

I knew that you're supposed to get the pins, but I was very surprised to get them at all. Hopefully I'll get the Diamond pin on the next cruise. :D

The cabanas are nice for those that would enjoy them, but I'm with you, not paying $200 for one because we really don't even sit much when on private islands. We're either in the water, eating or walking around. I bet we sit on our lounge chairs for no more than an hour the entire day.

But for those that enjoy them, I think it's great that they are offered but I honestly think $200 is a bit to steep. It's not like your getting free drinks and a surf and turf lunch...........LOL

Enjoy your cruise.

There were eight of us in the cabana, so $25 per person. About the cheapest thing we did all cruise, other than have a beer. But I really wanted it for my parents, especially my dad. He doesn't do well in the heat, so I thought this would be good for him. Plus, a little luxury is worth it from time to time. I wouldn't do it every time, but if I had at least six people to split it with, then I'd go for it. Mmmm, maybe four. :D

There were eight of us in the cabana, so $25 per person. About the cheapest thing we did all cruise, other than have a beer. But I really wanted it for my parents, especially my dad. He doesn't do well in the heat, so I thought this would be good for him. Plus, a little luxury is worth it from time to time. I wouldn't do it every time, but if I had at least six people to split it with, then I'd go for it. Mmmm, maybe four. :D

I thought I read somewhere there was a limit of six in the cabanas? I'd really like to do this for my parents on our next trip, for the same reason as you, they don't do well in the heat. But, there's already six of us, and with my parents it would be eight. I know this is something they would really enjoy (and they are D+ so they should hopefully not have a problem reserving).

I thought I read somewhere there was a limit of six in the cabanas? I'd really like to do this for my parents on our next trip, for the same reason as you, they don't do well in the heat. But, there's already six of us, and with my parents it would be eight. I know this is something they would really enjoy (and they are D+ so they should hopefully not have a problem reserving).

Yes, the website says six in a cabana. But it doesn't seem that the people running the cabanas care. We had no issue bringing eight in. I don't expect you'll have an issue. Enjoy!

(If you did have an issue, I'm sure it's something Andrew Jackson could solve.)

Brian,

I am really enjoying your review and pictures. I have to tell you that your quote above regarding getting the cabana for your dad made me teary eyed. :) What a sweet and considerate thing you did for your dad. I think it is so great that you can have this experience with your family. Some of my best cruise memories I have are with my entire family including my parents and father in law. You have a beautiful family. Again, thanks so much for letting me follow along on your adventures and I hope you get feeling better real soon.

Vicki

Archived