New Pricing for Oceania

rheasue38

Hi!

Spoke to our TA today and she informed me that as of May 1, 2012, all new bookings on Oceania will be price fixed. That means, TA's will not be able to discount Oceania's cruises. They will be able to give you perks such as OBC or free gratuities.

Rhea

I have always found that to be the way on all of our Oceania cruises. No matter where you booked, the price was the same. I always booked with the same TA as she would give free gratutities.

The price was always the same as in the brochure. Never could find anything lower. Did I miss something?

I have always found that to be the way on all of our Oceania cruises. No matter where you booked, the price was the same. I always booked with the same TA as she would give free gratutities.

The price was always the same as in the brochure. Never could find anything lower. Did I miss something?

I've had the same experience. Perhaps we haven't found the right agency yet.

I share your opinion.

I would prefer for Oceania to include gratuities in the fare and not have it be a travel agency perk offered only by some agencies.

Definitely diagree. The difference is not the price Oceania is charging but what your TA is keeping or not keeping in their commission.

TA's will get around the rule. HAL, Silversea have the same booking rules. My TA either gives OBC or issues me a check after the cruise (or when he gets his commission). Generally I take the check.

Definitely diagree. The difference is not the price Oceania is charging but what your TA is keeping or not keeping in their commission.

Actually, I believe that the gratuities and much of the OBC offered by most of the agencies is funded by the cruise lines for that specific purpose, and does not come out of their commission. It's what companies call "soft money"; it's an incentive or reward for being a top producer. I used to receive "soft money" for promotions from the manufacturers of the products I retailed.

That's not to say that some agencies don't "sweeten the pot" by giving up some portion of their commission, but I've found that such agencies often don't offer the same level of knowledge or service that "better" agencies provide. There are probably some exceptions to the rule, but I probably won't live long enough to try them all and find the perfect one that both provides extra financial incentives AND has the best connections to Oceania. I'm very fortunate that I picked the "right" agency right off the bat, and get fabulous service as well as free gratuities and sometimes some OBC, and occasionally even a bottle of wine!

Actually, I believe that the gratuities and much of the OBC offered by most of the agencies is funded by the cruise lines for that specific purpose, and does not come out of their commission. It's what companies call "soft money"; it's an incentive or reward for being a top producer. I used to receive "soft money" for promotions from the manufacturers of the products I retailed.

That's not to say that some agencies don't "sweeten the pot" by giving up some portion of their commission, but I've found that such agencies often don't offer the same level of knowledge or service that "better" agencies provide. There are probably some exceptions to the rule, but I probably won't live long enough to try them all and find the perfect one that both provides extra financial incentives AND has the best connections to Oceania. I'm very fortunate that I picked the "right" agency right off the bat, and get fabulous service as well as free gratuities and sometimes some OBC, and occasionally even a bottle of wine!

Well said Don, and with the commission structure changing, those who expect the Agent to kick back part of their remuneration may well find that their business is no longer as prized as it once was.

Is the fixed pricing mention that is starting in May only for US/Canadian passenger. I know, I know it is probably a stupid question/expectation for me to expect such equality. (We have still have not received an invoice for our 2 Riviera cruises in June. No documentation arrived yet either.Also looks like a cabin change also. (To say we are not happy :mad: is the being polite) BUT the positive is that we will be on Riviera.:)

It seems to me that many of my fellow passengers either need, or enjoy the "hand holding" that traditional TA's are able to provide. Others, myself included. prefer to do any arranging required on their own. This is where the on-line agencies can shine They should be able to offer significantly lower fares that appeal to the more independant cruiser. It would be a shame to see this option disappear.

It seems to me that many of my fellow passengers either need, or enjoy the "hand holding" that traditional TA's are able to provide. Others, myself included. prefer to do any arranging required on their own. This is where the on-line agencies can shine They should be able to offer significantly lower fares that appeal to the more independant cruiser. It would be a shame to see this option disappear.

Despite what the two Oceania defenders say - I agree with you 100 percent.

Hopefully Oceania is not getting the Silversea snooty policy that is "we don't discount our cruises.".

As for the poster that asked - 9 percent plus is the going rate of many Internet discounters. Some give more and some give less . And yes they tend to pass the special savings along too.

My TA also does the normal hand holding if need be and will contact Oceania on your behalf for deviations, special requests, buyouts, upgrades, visas, repricing because of a lower cruise fare, redeeming future cruise credits etc.

I have also always received better service from them than dealing directly with Oceania. So maybe I am just lucky. :)

That's not to say that some agencies don't "sweeten the pot" by giving up some portion of their commission, but I've found that such agencies often don't offer the same level of knowledge or service that "better" agencies provide. There are probably some exceptions to the rule..."

I don't think it is the exception. In my experience with cruises, other vacation travel and now, more surprisingly, with business travel is that the highly automated, discount online players provide better overall price AND service.

I can site many examples but here is the most recent and relevant to this forum: I need two cabins for an upcoming cruise. One's booked with a discount online agency and the other with what you refer to as a 'better' agency. To begin with the prices were significantly better with the online firm. Then when Oceania lowered their rates, the discount firm reduced their price for me but the 'service' (???) TA would not. They hid behind different fare codes that exist for the exact same cabin. Frankly, many traditional agencies try to instill a fear that they will be there if you need them and ask, "Can you count on a discount firm?" My answer from my experience over the years is 'Yes, you can.'

I do not see a problem with the new policy as several other cruise lines already have the same policy of no discounting fares .....TA's can still offer OBC & other perks if they choose

Those that want to get around the rule will do so

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

That's not to say that some agencies don't "sweeten the pot" by giving up some portion of their commission, but I've found that such agencies often don't offer the same level of knowledge or service that "better" agencies provide. There are probably some exceptions to the rule!

Our first cruise with Oceania was booked with an Oceania TA suggested on the Oceania website at the time of booking. It was the worst experience I ever had. The agency charged the full price, offered no OBC or free gratuities. They also cost me money since I was never notified of an impending fuel surcharge that could have been avoided. The service was non-existent. Had I known at the time I could of switched TA's I would have in a heartbeat.

After that expereicne, I switched to an on line TA provided to me from a fellow cruiser who I commute to work with. The pricing is excellent and the service is top notch. The on line TA is extremely knowledgeable and very, very responsive.

I too work with one of the largest on line cruise agencies -- often with the owner of the agency -- and I get great deals and great service.

I carry their business cards with me on every cruise and send them a lot of business. I cannot tell you how many cruisers have thanked me profusely for the recommendation -- they are saving a lot of $$, getting perks (gratuities, OBC or in some cases outright refunds) that their prior agencies did not extend and get great service to boot.

One thing you will find already is that Oceania does not allow discounts on-line to be seen by these INTERNET merchants (gratuities, free insurance and bonus points/bucks yes).

In the past we were able to book on line directly a receive a discount through the booking engine. Now it takes a phone call or e-mail.

So in reality maybe nothing has changed???

I've had the same experience. Perhaps we haven't found the right agency yet.

In my 10+ Oceania cruises I have never paid the "brochure" price, often significantly less.

oceansandseas and CHUCKIE50 - you both do need to look for a different TA :)

I just spoke with my wonderful TA about this change: I am not a happy camper (and neither is he). In his words, "It's a way for me to make more money and for you to pay more for the cruise." O wants to level the playing field among TAs, regardless of volume. If your TA is one that offers free gratuities, it does not affect the TA's ability to give free gratuities on a specific cruise (each TA negotiates that separately with O for each cruise). It does affect pricing of the cruise itself. Nothing can be discounted off the 2 for 1 brochure price. OBCs are possible but OBCs on O are generally smaller than on other lines in my experience.

He harkened this back to the day when Renaissance was "stealing" customers from agents by undercutting the price (and thus alienating agents)-- which may be one of the reasons they went under.

I may be looking at Azamara and Celebrity and other lines more carefully going forward.

If you book something by May 1 you are still under the old rules. I already have 3 cruises booked for 2013 and the 2014 itineraries I would consider are not out so I have to wait.

TA's will get around the rule. HAL, Silversea have the same booking rules. My TA either gives OBC or issues me a check after the cruise (or when he gets his commission). Generally I take the check.

Paul, not sure where you get the idea HAL does the same thing. We are booked on the 2013 World Cruise and our TA is allowed to allow us to take the discount of X% of the cruise fare when we make final payment rather than wait until just before or after the cruise to get the rebate check. In the case of this cruise, that amounts to many thousands of dollars or a rebate and is extremely significant.

Know PCH has required full payment and then the TA rebates the money before or after the cruise. Have it on good authority from the owner of the TA we deal with that they have discussed this issue with Regent and Oceania and no change to their rebate policy.

Based on the description of the change, have no idea how they will do this but, I do have an e-mail from the owner acknowledging the change and that the policy won't change.

Paul, not sure where you get the idea HAL does the same thing. We are booked on the 2013 World Cruise and our TA is allowed to allow us to take the discount of X% of the cruise fare when we make final payment rather than wait until just before or after the cruise to get the rebate check. In the case of this cruise, that amounts to many thousands of dollars or a rebate and is extremely significant.

Know PCH has required full payment and then the TA rebates the money before or after the cruise. Have it on good authority from the owner of the TA we deal with that they have discussed this issue with Regent and Oceania and no change to their rebate policy.

Based on the description of the change, have no idea how they will do this but, I do have an e-mail from the owner acknowledging the change and that the policy won't change.

From what my TA said, I think you are correct. I believe there is not as much commission to play around with now. I have a loyal TA who would do as much as possible for me and according to him (and he does tons of business with Oceania) this is a real game change.

Just my take on it

I think what O is doing is not allowing TA's to take their discount they give you off the final payment.

You must pay the full amount due then your TA can do what they want to rebate you (if they choose)

My sister (a TA) gives me the net rate when I book package vacations with her ..sometimes she will send me a cheque for the amount she wants to discount other times the tour operator will take the net rate from my CC

It may be something different than that but that is what I am thinking :confused:

Lyn

Archived