New Pricing for Oceania

rheasue38

Paul, not sure where you get the idea HAL does the same thing. We are booked on the 2013 World Cruise and our TA is allowed to allow us to take the discount of X% of the cruise fare when we make final payment rather than wait until just before or after the cruise to get the rebate check. In the case of this cruise, that amounts to many thousands of dollars or a rebate and is extremely significant.

Know PCH has required full payment and then the TA rebates the money before or after the cruise. Have it on good authority from the owner of the TA we deal with that they have discussed this issue with Regent and Oceania and no change to their rebate policy.

Based on the description of the change, have no idea how they will do this but, I do have an e-mail from the owner acknowledging the change and that the policy won't change.

Dave -- as I said HAL stopped TA from discounting on-line. TA's still give OBC or rebates once they get their commissions. (A TA would be crazy to give anyone a rebate until that occurs). At least that is what I meant. According to my TA Silverseas does not pay the commission until 10 days or so before the cruise date - I should have been more specific there.

Fortunately I won't have to find out for a while -- we are booked through 2014 :)

Dave -- as I said HAL stopped TA from discounting on-line. TA's still give OBC or rebates once they get their commissions. (A TA would be crazy to give anyone a rebate until that occurs). At least that is what I meant. According to my TA Silverseas does not pay the commission until 10 days or so before the cruise date - I should have been more specific there.

Fortunately I won't have to find out for a while -- we are booked through 2014 :)

I must have misread your post in that I thought you said they were the same as PCH in that rebates were banned. Anyway, I specifically asked my TA about final payment and they said that they have an agreement with HAL in that the rebate can be deducted from the final payment.

My final payment is in a month so we'll see how that works out as my invoice show the amount due less the rebate.

We currently have 2 Oceania cruises booked. We booked both on our own. Our plan was to hold onto the bookings until right before final payment and then transfer to a TA in order to get OBC. A TA recently told me that according to the new rules, if a booking is transfered after 30 days of booking she will no longer get full commission and we would therefore get less OBC. Is this true? If so, would this apply to us since we booked before May 1?

We currently have 2 Oceania cruises booked. We booked both on our own. Our plan was to hold onto the bookings until right before final payment and then transfer to a TA in order to get OBC. A TA recently told me that according to the new rules, if a booking is transfered after 30 days of booking she will no longer get full commission and we would therefore get less OBC. Is this true? If so, would this apply to us since we booked before May 1?

That is my plan too with my current booking... Does anyone have an answer to this???

Thanks

Not sure if it is true or not but I do not see any advantage to wait until the final payment to transfer the booking

Yes you have a bit more control but if you find a good TA then let them do your bidding for you

Maybe the TA is tired of people transfering last minute to get the perks ... they get some from the cruise line & they may want to give the OBC to their loyal clients

Just guessing on my part

Since this is a brand new policy and doubt anyone on this board has a definitive answer, your best bet is to contact Oceania and get the answer from the horses mouth and post that answer for everyone.

With the policy going into effect tomorrow, your safest approach would be to get you bookings transferred today. See no advantage to waiting in any case and with the new policy, perhaps a downside. Could be that approaches like you describe are part of the reason for the new policy.

I have always wondered what "more control" people have had when they book through O! I hope someone answers the question of why not a TA in the first place.

I have a great TA, and can't imagine how I could be in more control of my booking. My email questions are answered stat-the phone is often ringing within 2 mins! Air deviation routing suggestions are back to me in no time.

I don't feel I need "hand holding", and don't feel that's what she does. I just really like the security of knowing my concerns/questions will be answered ASAP, without me sitting and stewing for a day or 2 about the "what if"s, and "maybe I should have"s!

I have always wondered what "more control" people have had when they book through O! I hope someone answers the question of why not a TA in the first place.

I have a great TA, and can't imagine how I could be in more control of my booking. My email questions are answered stat-the phone is often ringing within 2 mins! Air deviation routing suggestions are back to me in no time.

I don't feel I need "hand holding", and don't feel that's what she does. I just really like the security of knowing my concerns/questions will be answered ASAP, without me sitting and stewing for a day or 2 about the "what if"s, and "maybe I should have"s!

I second that

A great TA is worth her/his weight in gold ;)

What most people don't realize is that the contract that you enter into when using the services of a Travel Agent makes that Agent and NOT THE PASSENGER the sole person with whom Oceania may discuss that booking.

For most passengers this would not be an issue, and most will never notice any difference.

When a time sensitive issue crops up, however, having a third party involved CAN be frustrating.

In the case of a cabin upgrade or upsell, for example, because the offer can only exist for as long as "the better cabin" remains vacant.

On the other hand, because Agents are typically more attuned to the availability of such offers, THEY may alert a client to an opportunity to move up BEFORE the cruise line begins the upselling process.

I guess what I am saying is that you have to be the kind of client who is willing to put a great deal of effort into managing that booking, before having to run everything by your Travel Agent becomes an issue.

I find it frustrating to have a TA and not be able to ask the cruise line a simple question. Also, we recently lost our cabin after our TA forgot to make final payment. Yes...it does happen...especially with home based agents.

The only reason I would use a TA is to receive OBC or other financial perks.

...Also, we recently lost our cabin after our TA forgot to make final payment...

My TA reminds me when the final payment is due, uses the credit card number i provide to pay Oceania directly (does not take payment from me, then pay the cruise line), and sends me the exact invoice the cruise line provides (not one of his pown invoices). If it did not work like this, I would not trust any agent to do anything for me. If yours doesn't work like that, maybe it's time for a new agent.

The heck with discounts and and the most OBC -- the most important thing with a TA is (1) complete transparency in dealing withthe cruise line, and (2) having the knowledge (and clout) to make things happen and get right answers. Anything beyond that is gravy. It so happens I'm lucky enough to have a knowledgeable agent, one who actually used to work at Oceania, representing an agency that has as much inside knowledge of Oceania as any, headed by one of the greatest TA's, and still normally get gratuities and sometimes some OBC. I don't have to worry about control; they know what's going on! How great is that? Plus, you'd be amazed how many folks here in Cruise Critic use the same agency.

You do have to do a little research, a little reading between the lines, and ask questions, perhaps when you're aboard.

The actual policy extends to both PCH brands...Oceania and Regent and is very strict...it is already being copied in some aspects by other lines..such as the time you have to turn over your booking to your agent. The reasons are many. The lines will say its that they don't want to see their cruises discounted, yet they are the ones offering 2-for1, plus free air etc. The real reason is there is only a certain % of people willing to book online and after spending millions on setting up, and maintaining their own websites, they do not want these people to use another online service since booking online is generally totally price driven and not service driven. Even the "perks" allowed to be provided will be capped.

With a policy like this in place, passengers will benefit from using the services of the old fashioned travel agent where their fee is paid for by the line as they have for the last 20 years, or should they wish to book online, by hopefully book direct with the line. No longer will it pay to jump from website to website looking to save a few dollars as all you will see is the same price.

Here is a link to the actual policy. Expect other lines to follow..

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/email/emailpdfs/pch_oc_rssc_anti-rebatingpolicy.pdf

I agree with Don and I suspect we have the same travel agency. We get superior service and reasonable perks.

However we still check our bookings on the Oceania web site and check our credit card to make sure payments have been made. (Actually we check our credit card detail every day to make sure nothing is wrong)

We book cruises or other travel plans based on what we want to do and where we want to go. A difference of a couple of hundred dollars is not that important to us (That doesn't mean we throw money around)

We saved for our retirement so we would not have to nickle and dime ourselves. (Keep putting money into those 401k's)

Archived