Looong layover in SFO

Pearl64

We are taking a cruise on the Solstice to NZ/Australia. We have a direct flight from Pittsburgh early morning to San Francisco. We have over a 9 hour layover. We could have divided it up but it will be January and we needed to figure snow into the equation. Anyways, is there someplace where we can take a nap for a couple of hours? Are there any hotels that will "rent" space for a short period of time? We are flying United from Pittsburgh to SFO but then Air NZ to Auckland. How does one go about getting a day pass for one of the airline lounges? We do not belong to any nor do we have enough miles to do much. I do not want to fight traffic by going into the city. We have been there so really are not interested in doing that before our long flight to NZ. We are open to suggestions as what to do to pass the time and possibly catch some sleep. I know we should not sleep too much as we need to save our sleep for the long flight. We have a similar problem coming back but the time is less--about 6 hours.

I will post this on the West Coast departures as well.

We are open to all suggestions. Thank you.

Pearl

We have over a 9 hour layover...... Anyways, is there someplace where we can take a nap for a couple of hours?......How does one go about getting a day pass for one of the airline lounges?

I don't fly United (I'm a Delta girl), but I know that you can buy a day pass to the Delta Sky Club, even if you're not flying Delta that day. It's $50/person, but each of you will need your own pass. (Unlike a regular sky club membership or other means of access, a day pass does not allow you to bring any guests in with you for free.) It is only good for the day of travel, so if you want access on the return as well, you'll have to buy a second pass. You can buy them ahead of time on the Delta website, and I assume you can also get them on a walk-in basis. The Sky Club offers complimentary beverages, including cocktails, and light snacks (trail mix, cookies, carrots/hummus), as well as free Wi-Fi, though it is known for being a bit slow. It is generally a more relaxing environment than the terminal, with more comfortable seating, but does not really offer any place to lie down and take a nap.

You can also buy day passes for the United Club. I believe they are $50. The benefits are similar to the Sky Club.

Have you looked at the United site- usually there are ads and links to the route to take. I assume you aren't flying Business or First, as you would get use of the International United Club for free.

I don't fly United (I'm a Delta girl), but I know that you can buy a day pass to the Delta Sky Club, even if you're not flying Delta that day. It's $50/person, but each of you will need your own pass. (Unlike a regular sky club membership or other means of access, a day pass does not allow you to bring any guests in with you for free.)

You can buy a 30 day pass for $90 that does allow a guest. That makes it cheaper for two travelers and if your trip is less than 30 days you can use it on the return as well.

The DL clubs are getting insistent on you having a boarding pass for that day. The rules specify that ANY airline is OK, so I would print out that part of the DL SkyClub rules to show the agent if there is an issue. That is, if you go that route.

The 30 day membership is a great deal for a couple. Cheaper than day passes when there are two of you, plus you can use it on both the outbound and return. The big hassle for you is that UA and DL operate from different terminals, so you would need to either take the inter-terminal train at SFO or walk by cutting across the parking garage.

Personally, aside from a few VERY premium international lounges, I'd be getting bored part way through 9 hours. I would either be getting a hotel room near the airport or finding a stash for my carryons and taking BART (no traffic) into the city for a bit of sightseeing and lunch.

Although there is a Delta SkyClub in SFO, it is nowhere near where the OP will be. The OP will be arriving at Terminal 1 and departing from the International Terminal via the G gates (the trek is in the sterile area of the airport, so no need to go through security again.) Delta's SkyClub is in Terminal 1. A day pass for United Club is $50 / person as previously mentioned and there are locations in both Terminal 3 and the International Terminal.

For something completely different (assuming everything is on time) consider researching restaurants in the Valencia Corridor, find one you would like to try, take BART to the 24th or 16th St Station, have a wonderful lunch, and take BART back. True, you will have to go through security again, but the BART station at SFO is very close to the gates from which you will be departing from.

Enjoy your trip.

Although there is a Delta SkyClub in SFO, it is nowhere near where the OP will be. The OP will be arriving at Terminal 1 and departing from the International Terminal via the G gates (the trek is in the sterile area of the airport, so no need to go through security again.) Delta's SkyClub is in Terminal 1. A day pass for United Club is $50 / person as previously mentioned and there are locations in both Terminal 3 and the International Terminal.

For something completely different (assuming everything is on time) consider researching restaurants in the Valencia Corridor, find one you would like to try, take BART to the 24th or 16th St Station, have a wonderful lunch, and take BART back. True, you will have to go through security again, but the BART station at SFO is very close to the gates from which you will be departing from.

Enjoy your trip.

United flys out of T-1? Not last time I flew out- a couple of weeks ago, rather it would be out of T-3. I understand United is talking about moving some small plane flights to T-1 this summer. Or are you thinking that while it is an United flight, it is codeshared on someone else's metal, that comes in at T-1?

And a standard United arrival at T-3 would be relatively close to the International Terminal. On the other hand, they have 9 hours, and if mobility isn't an issue, plenty of walking time.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Our flight gets in at 9:30 am and our ANZ flight leaves at 7 pm. Yes, we could take BART and get lunch and walk some. We would still be able to get back to the airport with plenty of time. We do not want to mess with traffic! Did that once and vowed never again. Any other suggestions as what or where we should venture?

Is there a left luggage at SFO? We will have two carrying both rolling. We will be gone 45 days so will have extras! The 30 day pass sounds wonderful but we will be gone longer.

Unfortunately, we will be in steerage. We did not have enough to do anything with. Even bumping up to economy plus for just the NZD flights was $1500. I can do a lot with that. We are contemplating getting economy plus from SFO to PIT. That fee should be more reasonable and at the end of a very long day!

Will be waiting for further suggestions.

Pearl

United flys out of T-1? Not last time I flew out- a couple of weeks ago, rather it would be out of T-3. I understand United is talking about moving some small plane flights to T-1 this summer. Or are you thinking that while it is an United flight, it is codeshared on someone else's metal, that comes in at T-1?

And a standard United arrival at T-3 would be relatively close to the International Terminal. On the other hand, they have 9 hours, and if mobility isn't an issue, plenty of walking time.

US Airways (UA Star Alliance partner) uses Terminal 1 so if you are on a UA flight using US metal, you wind up there.

Archived