late sleepers who think the world owes them a chair

LuckyZ

I think that would FREAK some on Carnival totally out... it's tough enough standing in the Concierge line at Guest Relations (Services? or whatever it is now) and not be eyeballed or called out by people in the "regular" line... sadly, that's happened more than once.

Just my opinion!

Tom

I have never had anyone eyeball me or call me out when I am in the Concierge line at Guest Relations. The line is clearly marked, so I think most people know why you are there. I have had people ask politely what the line is for if they did not know. Guess I have been lucky.

Tip a deck attendant to clear an unoccupied chaise for you. They know which ones have been sitting vacant.

Now we have a good, nay GREAT comment. The attendant gets extra money to cover the 3 dozen kids at home, you get a seat, no one steals anything, everybody has a great time and at 2pm when the person comes back you are gone.

We found chairs up on the sports deck where the track is. They faced the lido area and were great! You still had the music, but not as loud...the crew still came up with drinks and you could still watch the activities of everything on the lido. Loved them, since it was peaceful!

As far as the concierge. With the kiosks everywhere, we didn't even need to go to the pursers desk, except the first day. There was no one in the VIP line...so they had everyone that were not VIPs come over. Not a big deal.

But I love the kiosk, since you could add more cash to your account or a credit card, so you didn't have to stand in the line for something so simple.

I have never had anyone eyeball me or call me out when I am in the Concierge line at Guest Relations. The line is clearly marked, so I think most people know why you are there. I have had people ask politely what the line is for if they did not know. Guess I have been lucky.

Luck has a lot to do with it! (timing is everything:eek:)

Tom

With my luck, a fight would ensue if I did this!!

One of my gifts from Cheryl over Christmas was a small pack of business cards. The only two words on them are:

Nice Parking

Well, I FINALLY got up the nerve to place one on a vehicle last weekend (looked around to make sure nobody was watching). This was at the complex where my office is (as I said, weekend - so not in full use). Someone had literally parked at an angle and intentionally took two full spots.

Withing 90 seconds, there was a knock on our door (locked for the weekend) and upon opening it a fellow thrust forward the card I had put on his windshield and said he did not appreciate that "attitude". (WOW)!! Turns out he is a tax attorney on a higher floor (3 story building) and saw me put it there. His story was that, due to weekend parking in the area for tourists and such, oftentimes there are no places left if a client of his comes in to see him. The client knows to call him, and he will come and free up the space.

So... there you go, my FIRST try and I was shot down in flames... :rolleyes:

Tom

I have a better note to put on cars parked by jerks.... 'Sorry I hit your car'...bahahahahhaa....I've personally never done this, but the thought makes me chuckle every time :p

The solution is real simple...

They should just RENT the chairs for the day... better chairs=higher rates! Quantity discount, reserve 4, get one "free"!!

Better yet, those "perks" that they floated selling as a package a couple of months ago could include "guaranteed" Lido Deck chairs, 24/7!! :D

:eek:

Tom

I'm OK with that, not just for deck chairs but for the shows, dining rooms, etc...that way I can pick the premium seats for what is important to me. Why not? I pay a premium for Orchestra seats at the theater, or good seats at a ball game. Why not pay extra for good chairs poolside, or good seats for the show? If its that important to you then you will pay. It just so happens that these things arent really that important to me, but I would pay a little extra for say a table in the Main dining room that was near the window, or not near the freight elevator or over the engines (vibration-had that happen on at least two occasions). Just like I pay extra for an extended balcony cabin. I dont see the problem with it.

idk....I've never had a problem finding a lounge chair on one of the open decks....we don't use the 'people soup' pools, so getting a lounge near the pool is not a priority...we usually like to find a lounge in a quiet area where we can read or listen to music and just enjoy the day...being wedged among 100's of loud and obnoxious people is not attractive to us....we've walked around the pool deck on sea days and that kind of chaos is not what we look for on a vacation....sorry, I just don't see the attraction of it..............

I'm OK with that, not just for deck chairs but for the shows, dining rooms, etc...that way I can pick the premium seats for what is important to me. Why not? I pay a premium for Orchestra seats at the theater, or good seats at a ball game. Why not pay extra for good chairs poolside, or good seats for the show? If its that important to you then you will pay. It just so happens that these things arent really that important to me, but I would pay a little extra for say a table in the Main dining room that was near the window, or not near the freight elevator or over the engines (vibration-had that happen on at least two occasions). Just like I pay extra for an extended balcony cabin. I dont see the problem with it.

I was actually just joking about charging for chairs, even though that would solve that particular problem! But I fully agree that, in the instances you cited (and others) it comes down to "how much" more you want a "good seat"!

idk....I've never had a problem finding a lounge chair on one of the open decks....we don't use the 'people soup' pools, so getting a lounge near the pool is not a priority...we usually like to find a lounge in a quiet area where we can read or listen to music and just enjoy the day...being wedged among 100's of loud and obnoxious people is not attractive to us....we've walked around the pool deck on sea days and that kind of chaos is not what we look for on a vacation....sorry, I just don't see the attraction of it..............

The ONLY lounging we have done on Lido deck was on the Dream while watching the laser show. We also are not lay and bake pool crowd people. Occasionally we will lay out on our balcony -- even when we go to the beach, we try to find a shady spot away from the crowds!

Tom

The ONLY lounging we have done on Lido deck was on the Dream while watching the laser show. We also are not lay and bake pool crowd people. Occasionally we will lay out on our balcony -- even when we go to the beach, we try to find a shady spot away from the crowds!

Tom

Hands down, best cruise on our list...NYC to Bermuda on the Miracle in the Vista Suite....Our own private deck with our own private loungers, plenty of sun, close to the bar ;) and private restroom ;) ...we were so comfortable, we even ordered room service for lunch....WORTH EVERY PENNY....looking forward to doing it again...

In September, we are going on the NCL Star (nyc to bermuda) in a SG Penthouse Suite...not sure how much sun will be on our balcony, but the privacy is priceless............

I think you're exactly right. People should grab a bite and go to the bathroom before they find a chair....so they can enjoy it for a good long while. Then when they get hungry....or mother nature calls.....give up the seat....let someone else enjoy it. If everyone did this then there would be seats available a lot more often. No buns in the seat.....its vacant. :)

I agree about giving up the chair if you are going to get something to eat, but going to the bathroom is different. Unless you are talking about going back to your cabin or something. But if you are sitting in a chair and have to take a quick potty break, I don't think you should have to give up your chair.

Hands down, best cruise on our list...NYC to Bermuda on the Miracle in the Vista Suite....Our own private deck with our own private loungers, plenty of sun, close to the bar ;) and private restroom ;) ...we were so comfortable, we even ordered room service for lunch....WORTH EVERY PENNY....looking forward to doing it again...

In September, we are going on the NCL Star (nyc to bermuda) in a SG Penthouse Suite...not sure how much sun will be on our balcony, but the privacy is priceless............

4228 and 4237 are our FAVORITE Spirit class cabins! We'll be back in one later this year! :)

On a Spirit class ship, if those two cabins are not available, we find another sail date, ship, or line!!

Tom

4228 and 4237 are our FAVORITE Spirit class cabins! We'll be back in one later this year! :)

On a Spirit class ship, if those two cabins are not available, we find another sail date, ship, or line!!

Tom

We were in 8273, which is the next best after deck 4's....super large cabin, huge balcony....we even got a $20 bill blown onto our balcony from above...lol (we looked up, but no one was there)...we did hear the scraping of loungers being dragged across the deck in the early morning (by the crew) but it wasn't terrible....

But, since CCL is no longer making trips to Bermuda, we booked NCL this fall...

I think the 30 minute rule should apply, if you go eat, restroom, cabin or pool or hottub. I agree with the op, we get up and go eat then look for chairs. We don't sleep until 11 or 12 then expect a chair by the pool.

If you leave fore more than 20 minutes you shouldn't expect your chair to be there when you return.

Selfish and rude, just my opinion.

Well I guess that I am rude and selfish~sorry! I wonder if fold up beach chairs are on the list of banned items :eek:

I left my seats for 34 minutes on the Sensation, when we returned the seats were gone. I actually took a picture just before leaving. Now I knew it was 34 minutes, but would someone else really have watched the seat and taken it over 4 minutes?

Lucky for me, and the people that took them there were other seats around. But I definitely had something to say. If I ever did come back within the 30 minutes, and the seats were taken I would be very angry. My solution is to get the occupants of my chair a nice cold beverage, and if I so happen to trip and spill. Oppss... (kind of like some of the people who remove the belongings on the seat thinking they maybe "lost") Just call me Naive

Should they have waited 35 minutes? What is the correct amount of time for you beyond the 30 minutes? You would be really sorry if you ever tripped and spilled your beverage on me. Just sayin

OK here it is. I'm getting sick of all the Chair Hog threads and want to start one that gives the other side of the story.

It's about people who legitimately get a chair on the deck by the pool, actually use the chairs, but have one of the chairs taken over by people who get up late, see a chair that has been vacated for a few minutes and try to just sit down and use it.

I have had people try to take my DW's chair when she got up for a few mintutes to go to the bathroom (but I was still in my chair beside her). It was like fighting off a pack of wolves. I really don't think people really wait 30 minutes. They get up at noon, and use their arrogance to snag an open chair near the pool even if it's only been vacated for only a few minutes. It's happened more times than I care to mention.

Let me clarify that we never sit in the Serenity area.

Happened to you?

This is not what we call a Chair Hog, so by stating what you have stated it is irrelevant. Chair Hogs are people that save chairs for if, when and however long they want and will then use it if and when they are ready.

The REASON people are asking you is because of the chair hogs...if there were chairs available they wouldn't be asking if that was occupied...

And MOST people don't come out around noon looking for a chair, I can't ever seen to find one by 9:00...and I am talking about the ones occupied people, I am talking about the ones that set their alarms, come up and save a chair and then go back to bed UNTIL NOON and then EXPECT their stuff to still be there...

There may be people that are agressive in trying to get a chair, but that is ONLY because of all of the chair hogging...

It has happened to us in the past, but as long as you are nice - and do not snarl back at the rude people - they will move onto someone else that they can try to intimidate.

We usually take chairs by the pool around 9am, and vacate by 1pm, 2pm the latest.

And if it's REALLY important to someone to have chairs by the pool, they will get their butts up there early. Have they not heard of sleeping in their chair?

What, did you see me sleeping in my chair again?

OP, I have been up and on the Lido by 6:30 a.m., only to watch people coming out with arm loads of towels saving dozens of chairs for those lazy sleepers you talk of, then they vanish for hours. It has nothing to do with sleeping. If your wife is coming right back just tell the people that. They just want to sit down too.

With my luck, a fight would ensue if I did this!!

One of my gifts from Cheryl over Christmas was a small pack of business cards. The only two words on them are:

Nice Parking

Well, I FINALLY got up the nerve to place one on a vehicle last weekend (looked around to make sure nobody was watching). This was at the complex where my office is (as I said, weekend - so not in full use). Someone had literally parked at an angle and intentionally took two full spots.

Withing 90 seconds, there was a knock on our door (locked for the weekend) and upon opening it a fellow thrust forward the card I had put on his windshield and said he did not appreciate that "attitude". (WOW)!! Turns out he is a tax attorney on a higher floor (3 story building) and saw me put it there. His story was that, due to weekend parking in the area for tourists and such, oftentimes there are no places left if a client of his comes in to see him. The client knows to call him, and he will come and free up the space.

So... there you go, my FIRST try and I was shot down in flames... :rolleyes:

Tom

Figures it would be an attorney. I think the card is still a good idea. I have one which I have used which is not nearly as nicely worded. :D

I think the 30 minute rule should apply, if you go eat, restroom, cabin or pool or hottub. I agree with the op, we get up and go eat then look for chairs. We don't sleep until 11 or 12 then expect a chair by the pool.

The 30 minute rule is being GENEROUS. It is not an invitation to be away for 29 minutes. That is allowing PLENTY of time for almost anything conceivable that you could go do and still have a valid cause to claim you still occupy that chair. The ships are only so big. You could return to your room, use the bathroom, write a postcard and be back well before 30 minutes are up. You could make it through the buffet and get a full meal and back with ample time to spare. 30 minutes gone just means that you are DEFINITELY doing something that means you are not "coming right back," and don't deserve to hold a chair. So, sorry, Mr. 34 minutes, tough luck. And the long-time swimmers...I don't think taking a break from swimming within 30 minutes is unreasonable at all. What are you people doing, training to swim the English Channel?

I guess we have all been wrong. We thought these were actually beach chairs that were for guests use. They are actually book and towel holders for privileged passengers. :rolleyes:

Yep. But... you would think CCL would realize that towels and books don't buy overpriced bar drinks when they get too hot in the sun. A little enforcement(could)=more revenue.

Archived