late sleepers who think the world owes them a chair

LuckyZ

I like the idea of charging a premium for the right to reserve a chair. The fee could be based on the location of the chair and could be in one hour increments. I say allow for half of the chairs in a given area to be available for reservations and the other half still first come first server. This would allow a passenger to reserve a chair for the time that they want to be outside or even reserve one for the entire cruise and would leave other chairs for people that don't want to pay a premium. The cruise line could create a sign with the passenger's name on it and the words "reserved for". I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of people willing to pay for this service and that the cruise lines would make a decent amount of money from it. Of course there would be those passengers that don't like it but you can't please everybody.

They just need chairs with meters attached to them - swipe your S&S card and a small indicator light illuminates (for all to see) for 1 hour. When 1 hour is almost up it starts flashing (and perhaps a subtle buzz sound). After the hour is up, if you have not reswiped your card, the light goes out, and the chair is fair game.

Naw... it's easier for them to allow the animosity to continue, because I can't see them (ever) really enforcing common courtesy "rules"!

Tom

I don't particularly care for poolside since I have no intention of getting in a pool on a ship so this has never been a problem for me. I can always find a chair on the next deck up and it's usually much cooler since the deck is much more open than the Lido Deck. Then again, since Carnival has introduced the Serenity Deck, it's the only place to be....imo.

I don't particularly care for poolside since I have no intention of getting in a pool on a ship so this has never been a problem for me. I can always find a chair on the next deck up and it's usually much cooler since the deck is much more open than the Lido Deck. Then again, since Carnival has introduced the Serenity Deck, it's the only place to be....imo.

The Serenity Deck has also been discovered by the chairhogs.

Ive had this happen too. My husband went to the bathroom and some guy came and sat down on his chair next to me....on his towel!!! And one time my dad and I were eating at a table waiting for my brother and husband to get their food in the buffet line and a woman just walked over and took a chair. I told it we were using it and she copped an attitude. Some people are just rude and so self absorbed. I always ask if a chair is free... never ever assumed so.

We had that happen to us to. DD & I went to the buffet for lunch on the Carnival Freedom. I went on the outside Lido after getting my food to find us a table. It was pretty packed but I was able to locate a table with 2 chairs so I sat down and started eating while DD finished getting her food. A teenage girl ran up and grabbed DD's chair, without even asking me if we were using it, and pulled it over to another table where her friends were. I gave her the "look" and said thanks for taking my daughters chair. She just ignored me. Luckily there was a chair at another table that was not being used and the people there were kind enough to give it to me. I too always ask before taking. It's just rude not to.

And the same late sleepers take the "entitled" attitude off the ship with them. One time at Mahogany Beach Roatan we got up and off the ship early. Took the chairlift over to the beach in the rain. Walked up the beach and settled down in great front row seats. Perfect for my sister to watch her son who loves to play at the water line. A group came to the beach around 1ish and couldn't find seats the liked. So they proceeded to drag chairs from anywhere they could find them and create themselves a new front row in the 10 feet between us and the water. Completely blocking our view of my nephew. It was one of the rudest things I've seen.

This takes the cake in rudeness but, help me out, how do you know these are the same people who feel "entitled" to sleep in and still snag a chair? Yes your family was at the beach before them but what’s off the ship and what’s on the ship are two different attitudes (maybe they ate lunch first, went on an excursion even before you were at the beach, were at the beach 4 hours before you but decided to move up to the area your family was sitting because the sand was better, who knows). So I just don't see the correlation between the two. Is it now to the point that people are forced to get to the beach before the sun comes up to get a chair? Hurry up honey we have to get to the beach or we won’t get a spot near the ocean. It blows my mind that you can't sleep in on your vacation if you want to get a chair and some people think this is acceptable. If you get to the deck and there aren't any chairs because people are sitting in them or using them (i.e. in the pool, just went to the bathroom, getting a burger but still using them within the rules of the time limit) than that’s one thing but, if you sleep in and you can't get a chair because some hog decided to get up 2 hours before and put an orange down on a chair and a reserved sign on another or tie 4 chairs off with a robe and then went back to bed, then that’s pure crap. They’re the lazy inconsiderate people, not the family that got up at 10:00 because on their vacation they decided to sleep in. My wife and I are going in 3 weeks for our honeymoon (On the Dream) we have decided we are going to get up at 6:00 (hopefully this isn’t considered sleeping in) to make sure we get a chair because I don’t want to be forced to deal with people that are ultimately the ones who feel entitled to sleep in by marking a chair and going back to bed. So the hogs have already affected my cruise (by forcing me to get up extra early so we can get a chair). How is this fair to anyone? Sure it may not be as bad as the 40+ pages I’ve read about it here on CC, but we just want to have a great honeymoon/vacation like everyone else and not have to be forced to get up before the sun comes up for something a trivial as a lounge chair.

This takes the cake in rudeness but, help me out, how do you know these are the same people who feel "entitled" to sleep in and still snag a chair? Yes your family was at the beach before them but what’s off the ship and what’s on the ship are two different attitudes (maybe they ate lunch first, went on an excursion even before you were at the beach, were at the beach 4 hours before you but decided to move up to the area your family was sitting because the sand was better, who knows). So I just don't see the correlation between the two. Is it now to the point that people are forced to get to the beach before the sun comes up to get a chair? Hurry up honey we have to get to the beach or we won’t get a spot near the ocean. It blows my mind that you can't sleep in on your vacation if you want to get a chair and some people think this is acceptable. If you get to the deck and there aren't any chairs because people are sitting in them or using them (i.e. in the pool, just went to the bathroom, getting a burger but still using them within the rules of the time limit) than that’s one thing but, if you sleep in and you can't get a chair because some hog decided to get up 2 hours before and put an orange down on a chair and a reserved sign on another or tie 4 chairs off with a robe and then went back to bed, then that’s pure crap. They’re the lazy inconsiderate people, not the family that got up at 10:00 because on their vacation they decided to sleep in. My wife and I are going in 3 weeks for our honeymoon (On the Dream) we have decided we are going to get up at 6:00 (hopefully this isn’t considered sleeping in) to make sure we get a chair because I don’t want to be forced to deal with people that are ultimately the ones who feel entitled to sleep in by marking a chair and going back to bed. So the hogs have already affected my cruise (by forcing me to get up extra early so we can get a chair). How is this fair to anyone? Sure it may not be as bad as the 40+ pages I’ve read about it here on CC, but we just want to have a great honeymoon/vacation like everyone else and not have to be forced to get up before the sun comes up for something a trivial as a lounge chair.

This is confusing to me.

If you don't want a lounger right by the pool there is no need to get up before you want to.

If you plan on getting "up at 6:00 to make sure we get a chair because I don't want to be forced to deal ...". Uh, aren't you dealing with them by doing this?:confused:

This is confusing to me.

If you don't want a lounger right by the pool there is no need to get up before you want to.

If you plan on getting "up at 6:00 to make sure we get a chair because I don't want to be forced to deal ...". Uh, aren't you dealing with them by doing this?:confused:

I am trying to not deal with the situation of having to remove peoples things off of loungers so that we can sit in them. I would like to avoid any confrontation that would make our cruise less pleasant. But yeah I am being forced to make changes based on their inconsiderate actions. It seems apparent that this is a big issue and apparent that most cruise lines will not do anything about it. So I see where you’re coming from, so what do you suggest? I didn’t realize this is just an issue that occurs only around the pool, I've seen many posts stating there not being loungers anywhere to be found and we are looking forward to spending some time on the Serenity deck.

You will be able to find a lounger. That will not be a problem. It is mainly the area around the pool that gets chogged. The upper level around the pool may get crowded, but not necessarily chogged.

The Serenity deck ... it will be chogged. No doubt about it. On our cruise last Oct. we got to experience the Serenity area only when we were in port, and did not get off the ship.

I really hope you enjoy your cruise AND your honeymoon.

Go with an open mind. I know reading the crap on here can make you anxious about what you'll encounter. It is not as bad as some make it out to be. :)

I think I'm usually up by 8 or 9am on a cruise, but maybe later depending on how late I stay out. I don't consider that late sleeping. However, do I go out at that time and expect to get prime chairs? No.

I have actually found I prefer the less crowded and lessor known lounge areas when I want to lay out.

You know, until I joined CC I had no idea it was bad form to put your beach bag or towel in a chair and then go jump in the pool. Maybe I've always been places where there were always enough chairs or I just didn't think about needing the ones in "prime" areas. Of course spent most of my childhood, bringing my own chair or towel to the beach, so maybe it never occurred to me.

I really don't get all the hullaballoo about chairs on cruise ships. Surely they're just like the chairs on land? If someone takes my chair, I'll take it back. Simple.

And be off the ship looking at it as it sails away... force is the ONLY thing really frowned upon.

OK here it is. I'm getting sick of all the Chair Hog threads and want to start one that gives the other side of the story.

It's about people who legitimately get a chair on the deck by the pool, actually use the chairs, but have one of the chairs taken over by people who get up late, see a chair that has been vacated for a few minutes and try to just sit down and use it.

I have had people try to take my DW's chair when she got up for a few mintutes to go to the bathroom (but I was still in my chair beside her). It was like fighting off a pack of wolves. I really don't think people really wait 30 minutes. They get up at noon, and use their arrogance to snag an open chair near the pool even if it's only been vacated for only a few minutes. It's happened more times than I care to mention.

Let me clarify that we never sit in the Serenity area.

Happened to you?

Yes, happened to me. I agree 1000%. I am usually at the pool area about 8am and my wife sleeps later. By 10am we are at the pool hanging out for the day. The worst is when we get up to sit in the pool for a bit (however long) and the wolves (I call them vultures) start circling because the chair hasnt been sat in for 30, 45, 60 minutes whatever. It doesnt matter that there are books, drink cups, sandals, wet towels, etc there. The late risers are looking for that chair.

Yes, happened to me. I agree 1000%. I am usually at the pool area about 8am and my wife sleeps later. By 10am we are at the pool hanging out for the day. The worst is when we get up to sit in the pool for a bit (however long) and the wolves (I call them vultures) start circling because the chair hasnt been sat in for 30, 45, 60 minutes whatever. It doesnt matter that there are books, drink cups, sandals, wet towels, etc there. The late risers are looking for that chair.

If it hasn't been sat in for 30 minutes, it's fair game.

They just need chairs with meters attached to them - swipe your S&S card and a small indicator light illuminates (for all to see) for 1 hour. When 1 hour is almost up it starts flashing (and perhaps a subtle buzz sound). After the hour is up, if you have not reswiped your card, the light goes out, and the chair is fair game.

Naw... it's easier for them to allow the animosity to continue, because I can't see them (ever) really enforcing common courtesy "rules"!

Tom

The day that happens is the day I stop cruising. I hope you dont work for a cruise line..............

If it hasn't been sat in for 30 minutes, it's fair game.

Why? I am still in the pool area.....should I take all my belongings in the pool with me. Because of people with your attitude, I get out of the pool every so often and sit in my chair fo 30 seconds and go back to the pool. My way of marking my territory.....

Does this satisfy your requirement for using the chair???

The day that happens is the day I stop cruising. I hope you dont work for a cruise line..............

I was not (really) serious, though they could make a buck or millions!! It would be much simpler if people were all courteous and respected each other. Wait, no... never mind! :eek::eek:

Tom

My husband and I had this happen to us on the Carnival Dream in Sept 2011. It looked like it was going to start raining and we were getting hungry so we talked about going to the buffet. As I was standing up I felt something hit by back. I turned around to see this lady taking my towel off my chair and putting her towel on it. I was so shocked all I could do was look at her. She just glared at me. When my husband turned to look at her she said something like "are you leaving or not?" My husband said "I guess so". It was an awkward moment while I put on my cover up and packed my bag while and she stood there tapping her foot and glaring at us. As we entered the buffet the sky opened up and it was pouring. I told my husband "I guess we left at the right time!".

Luv it...Karma Karma Karma! :)

I agree with a point made about swimming - I honestly wish we had some cubbies for shoes, towels and sunglasses etc. I am happy sitting on the edge of the pool watching my kids - but there is no easy solution as to where to keep our stuff dry....

Suggestions welcome!

I've thought cubbies would be brilliant for a LONG time. I too just like to sit in the hot tub or pool. I'd like a place for shoes, hearing aid and towel and I could get out of the whole chair race.

I agree about giving up the chair if you are going to get something to eat, but going to the bathroom is different. Unless you are talking about going back to your cabin or something. But if you are sitting in a chair and have to take a quick potty break, I don't think you should have to give up your chair.

Oh come on now. Perhaps we should all get a "Carnival Pee Can" issued so we can protect our claim! LOL...I'm just kidding. :D Actually I agree.

People need to be reasonable about taking over a person's chair. If you're gone long enough to go get the pool attendant and ask them to remove a person's belongings (because there are absolutely no other chairs anywhere nearby :eek:)...maybe that person was gone too long. I honestly have never had a problem finding a chair to lay out...relax, swim a little, read a book and have a drink...It's always in the vicinity of the pool but I guess not on the edge..I'm not sure why you would want to be on the edge ANYWAY with all the people splashing about it can water down your drinky. :rolleyes: And late sleeping OF COURSE...uhh...it's part of that thing they call VACATION...

Why? I am still in the pool area.....should I take all my belongings in the pool with me. Because of people with your attitude, I get out of the pool every so often and sit in my chair fo 30 seconds and go back to the pool. My way of marking my territory.....

Does this satisfy your requirement for using the chair???

It's not my requirement.;)

And be off the ship looking at it as it sails away... force is the ONLY thing really frowned upon.

No force required. I'd quite simply take the chair back from whoever took it from me. Force would only be required if that person retaliated, which would put them in the wrong.

No force required. I'd quite simply take the chair back from whoever took it from me. Force would only be required if that person retaliated, which would put them in the wrong.

I just read on here yesterday (don't know if it's a fact or not) that both the aggressor and the aggressee are both put off.

I just read on here yesterday (don't know if it's a fact or not) that both the aggressor and the aggressee are both put off.

That sounds totally unfair (but familiar), so my guess is that there is some truth to that! In many cases it probably comes down to a he said/she said, and we know how poorly the cruise line is at making tough calls. Throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Tom

While on our recent Triumph Cruise I had a great time watching one of the ships officers organizing the lines to get back on the ship in Cozumel. A couple times he got irritated with people and I'm sure the people understood that he was not happy with them by the tone in his voice.

Late that evening will I was up top walking around a I ran into this officer who turned out to be the head of security for the Triumph. He was very nice and we ended up talking for about 20 minutes. I specifically asked him about the situation where any aggression is grounds for removal even if a passenger is defending themselves or a loved one. His response was that like with any situation they will do their best to determine what happened and they will take into account what the parties involved have to say as well as what witnesses say and anything that can be seen on the security cameras. He said that throwing a passenger off of a ship is not taken lightly and there is a always a good reason for doing so.

I proceeded to ask him how often a person is put off the ship and he said it happens on a regular basis. He then explained that a passenger was put off with his belongings in Cozumel that day. The reason was that he was acting aggressive towards a Hispanic family. He basically was blaming them for all of America's problems and was getting aggressive to the point that they were about to put him in the brig. They were able to calm the man down and told him he was confined to his stateroom for the duration of the cruise. Once the ship arrived in Cozumel the man and his stuff was escorted off the ship.

I for one am glad to hear that they take the safety of their passengers / customers serious.

While on our recent Triumph Cruise I had a great time watching one of the ships officers organizing the lines to get back on the ship in Cozumel. A couple times he got irritated with people and I'm sure the people understood that he was not happy with them by the tone in his voice.

Late that evening will I was up top walking around a I ran into this officer who turned out to be the head of security for the Triumph. He was very nice and we ended up talking for about 20 minutes. I specifically asked him about the situation where any aggression is grounds for removal even if a passenger is defending themselves or a loved one. His response was that like with any situation they will do their best to determine what happened and they will take into account what the parties involved have to say as well as what witnesses say and anything that can be seen on the security cameras. He said that throwing a passenger off of a ship is not taken lightly and there is a always a good reason for doing so.

I proceeded to ask him how often a person is put off the ship and he said it happens on a regular basis. He then explained that a passenger was put off with his belongings in Cozumel that day. The reason was that he was acting aggressive towards a Hispanic family. He basically was blaming them for all of America's problems and was getting aggressive to the point that they were about to put him in the brig. They were able to calm the man down and told him he was confined to his stateroom for the duration of the cruise. Once the ship arrived in Cozumel the man and his stuff was escorted off the ship.

I for one am glad to hear that they take the safety of their passengers / customers serious.

Sounds familiar. American blames others. :p

Archived