late sleepers who think the world owes them a chair

LuckyZ

My point is that if chairs were used ONLY for backsides, a chair would be available for folks who actually want to sit in them. You wouldn't have to worry about having a chair for your backside if folks didn't park their towels on them!

Ding ding ding ... You have the correct answer.

You could always employ a surrogate to sit in your chair until you are ready for it, and to hold it during the day while you are doing other things... :D

Tom

I am available to be HIRED to accompany you on your cruise. I will gladly get up at 5:00am or whenever to ensure there is a Deck Chair for you & 1 partner. Just cover my Cruise cost & up to $ 200.00 on my S&S account & we will be good.

I am available to be HIRED to accompany you on your cruise. I will gladly get up at 5:00am or whenever to ensure there is a Deck Chair for you & 1 partner. Just cover my Cruise cost & up to $ 200.00 on my S&S account & we will be good.

:D

Tom

i havent read all the replies, but your post is really off. those chair hogs are sleeping LATE. they just happen to have gotten up at the crack of dawn to go lay their stuff on the chair so it's ready when they are.

point being, someone may want to use the chair and most likely be long gone by the time those "late sleepers" get there to claim their stuff on their chair.

True, but still the wealthy went first, and it was a sign of the times that there was such process and due regard for the women and children. Not saying that's a lost art, or a bad thing, but it was very much a high societal point of action - gentlemanly honor and all.

Also at the time it would be the custom to keep racial/other minorities in steerage regardless of what they paid. That's what I mean. I imagine all sorts of panicked sordid happenings occurred once everyone realized how screwed they were.

Erm, we've totally hijacked the thread, huh?

Actually, steerage women were given priority over even first class men. And far more steerage women survived than first class men. Some of the richest men in the world died on the Titanic.

A little different....

Last week on the Pride I was sitting at a small table on the lido deck near the stage. I had my towel on the back of the chair, my Tim Horton coffee mug and my sunglasses on the table. I went to get a bowl of ice cream and when I returned (maybe 5 minutes) two men were sitting at the table :cool: I guess they did not see my glasses, coffee mug or towel:rolleyes: So I picked up my stuff without a word and moved on.

And the same late sleepers take the "entitled" attitude off the ship with them. One time at Mahogany Beach Roatan we got up and off the ship early. Took the chairlift over to the beach in the rain. Walked up the beach and settled down in great front row seats. Perfect for my sister to watch her son who loves to play at the water line. A group came to the beach around 1ish and couldn't find seats the liked. So they proceeded to drag chairs from anywhere they could find them and create themselves a new front row in the 10 feet between us and the water. Completely blocking our view of my nephew. It was one of the rudest things I've seen.

And the same late sleepers take the "entitled" attitude off the ship with them. One time at Mahogany Beach Roatan we got up and off the ship early. Took the chairlift over to the beach in the rain. Walked up the beach and settled down in great front row seats. Perfect for my sister to watch her son who loves to play at the water line. A group came to the beach around 1ish and couldn't find seats the liked. So they proceeded to drag chairs from anywhere they could find them and create themselves a new front row in the 10 feet between us and the water. Completely blocking our view of my nephew. It was one of the rudest things I've seen.

This happens all the time on the Jersey Shore. Maybe thats why the so called "hogs" dont bother me too much.

Ive had this happen too. My husband went to the bathroom and some guy came and sat down on his chair next to me....on his towel!!! And one time my dad and I were eating at a table waiting for my brother and husband to get their food in the buffet line and a woman just walked over and took a chair. I told it we were using it and she copped an attitude. Some people are just rude and so self absorbed. I always ask if a chair is free... never ever assumed so.

That is unbelievable. I think this one tops the list for arrogance and rudeness.

... and look at the Haven area on NCL!!!

I think that would FREAK some on Carnival totally out... it's tough enough standing in the Concierge line at Guest Relations (Services? or whatever it is now) and not be eyeballed or called out by people in the "regular" line... sadly, that's happened more than once.

I just don't think the average Carnival cruiser can wrap their heads around the idea that someone who pays more should/could get more!!

Just my opinion!

Tom

Coming late to this discussion, but I wholeheartedly endorse this concept.

Real late coming to this thread but got directed from the front page story on cruise critic. I was recently on Explorer and was taking a walk around on a sea day at about 8am and went into the solarium and found this. Click on this link to see my photo's

Not a person in site at 8am on the Explorer of the Seas on an 11 night cruise from Bayonne NJ. Later that day around 12 noon I went up and found a chair that was empty in the regular pool area. I was reading and there were two chairs next to me with towels on them. About 45 minutes later a girl about 10 comes up grabs a few items off the chair and takes off to rejoin her family on the other side of the chairs. About 15 min later an older couple come along and the husband was very winded and needed a seat. I turned and asked the family if they could give up the chairs (which by now had been empty for 1 hour) for this elderly couple and they said no. I helped the man into my seat and the women stood there looking at the two seats with the towels on them and all the young family said was the rest of there family was coming. Total idiots and disrespectful. I asked the women if they would be OK and she said yes, he just needed to rest. I was so annoyed I just had to leave.

Mike

People who are morning people need to realize that not everyone is a morning person. I am very much a night person. Unfortunately, our world tends to completely cater to morning people, at the expense of night people. Getting up in the morning for work is a struggle for me. It seems very biased that I get in trouble for arriving to work 5 minutes late, no matter how late I stayed the previous night, while the morning person who can't make it to 5:00 is allowed to leave early with no penalty. Also, businesses, such as auto mechanics, if they are open at all on weekends (usually just Saturdays) tend to open very early to accommodate morning people, but are not open past noon, denying night people our only chance of the week to actually sleep. Even in New York City, the supposed "city that never sleeps", museuems and other attractions open at the crack of dawn, but (even on weekends) close at 5 PM or even earlier.

Given how much the world favors morning people, and given how difficult it is for us in our every day life to adapt to a morning person's schedule, us night people want to at least be able to enjoy our vacation! There is no reason why morning people deserve a monopoly on the deck chairs. Given how us night people live in your morning people world for 51 weeks a year, let us at least enjoy our one wek vacation.

Very well said! I am a night person too and I value sleeping in during our vacations.

It is what it is. In the case of the deck chairs the rule applies to ALL----NO MATTER what time it is. Over 30 min. left vacant, sometimes much longer, is what the rule implies....no saving or reserving chairs. Plain and simple.

i havent read all the replies, but your post is really off. those chair hogs are sleeping LATE. they just happen to have gotten up at the crack of dawn to go lay their stuff on the chair so it's ready when they are.

point being, someone may want to use the chair and most likely be long gone by the time those "late sleepers" get there to claim their stuff on their chair.

BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! Late sleepers are part of the chair hog fraternity. I know for a fact theres a whole culture of people who set their alarms to run out and save a seat just so they can go back to their cabin and sleep. How else do you think so many chairs seem to be saved in the early AM on a deck thats otherwise practically vacant?

I havnt read all the posts, but found the thread like others thru the front page story. I am a night person, i work nights...but that really doesnt matter.....I dont care what time I get out of bed. If I go up and Im looking for a chair, and someone is "saving" a chair that they have not intent on using but reserving it "just in case". I will move your stuff. Period. I dont care if you think it rude. If a reasonable amount of time haas passed and it is not taken, I will use it. ANd when Im done, I will leave it for the next person. Just because you wake up early does not entitle you to "come and go" privalages for a chair. If your using it, then by all means its your chair. Give me snarky looks, call me fat and ugly, tell everyone how stupid i am, I dont care. Either sh1t or get off the pot.

Like I said before I get up early~around 8am~if we want a chair by the pool,we get our chairs and use them the whole day we LOVE laying around the pool, listening to the music, people watching, just enjoying the wonderful days of vacation.And we are not continuously in them the whole time but never away for more than 15-20 minutes. We have been on 14 cruises and I can honestly say we have always been able to find a chair even on the many days we did not get up early, it would not always be close to the pool but anyplace on the deck is a good spot! The staff will help you move them to another area if you ask. I think some of the issues people have is that they cannot find a chair where they want one.

Are there people that actually sleep late on a cruise?? No matter what, we are so excited to be there we usually wake up and are on deck before 7-without an alarm :o

Usually about as many people as are out after 3am! I think a lot of people sleep late. I know I (and wife) are up a lot of times at 4am so sleeping late will be a real treat!

Are there people that actually sleep late on a cruise?? No matter what, we are so excited to be there we usually wake up and are on deck before 7-without an alarm :o

We are usually up until 12...1...2...sometimes 3 AM.

So we sleep accordingly - often missing breakfast. That's one of the BIGGEST differences between our Carnival sailings and those on Celebrity and NCL. On those two lines we usually put our (breakfast) order on our door when we finally turn in, and end up with a nice full hot breakfast set up on our balcony (at 10 AM or so). I have ZERO interest in what Carnival offers up for breakfast room service! :rolleyes:

Fresh squeezed juices, sliced melons, Eggs Benedict, etc... YUM!!

IMG0753-L.jpg

Sure, you might pay a bit more on those lines, but you GET more!! ;)

Tom

This is just me but I don't really believe in "seat saving". There are other places besides a seat to put your towel. The chairs on the deck do not equal the people on the ship. There are never going to be enough seats. If I put my towel on a seat and I come back and someone has moved so they can read a book on the deck I have no issue with that. It is only fair... I wasn't there. *shruggs* Seat saving "early in the morning" is just absurd. Should I set my alarm for 7 am go throw a towel on a seat and go back to bed? LOL

One thing that bothers me is people who save the lido deck chairs during lunch (for people who aren't getting food). Im on a cruise I want to sit outside and eat my lunch. Last year I had to walk all the way aft to find an empty chair. :( My balance isn't that great (I have Meniere's disease) so walking with a tray of food is difficult.

On our cruise two weeks ago we had 14 people sailing together and most of them would sleep in every day. They weren't all staying up late but rather enjoyed the fact that they didn't have to get up early. Most of them slept late enough to miss breakfast and they were just fine with that. The DW and I can barely make it past 8am and since breakfast in the MDR is something we both look forward to when we cruise we'd get up early anyways.

I like the idea of charging a premium for the right to reserve a chair. The fee could be based on the location of the chair and could be in one hour increments. I say allow for half of the chairs in a given area to be available for reservations and the other half still first come first server. This would allow a passenger to reserve a chair for the time that they want to be outside or even reserve one for the entire cruise and would leave other chairs for people that don't want to pay a premium. The cruise line could create a sign with the passenger's name on it and the words "reserved for". I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of people willing to pay for this service and that the cruise lines would make a decent amount of money from it. Of course there would be those passengers that don't like it but you can't please everybody.

Archived