late sleepers who think the world owes them a chair

LuckyZ

No force required. I'd quite simply take the chair back from whoever took it from me. Force would only be required if that person retaliated, which would put them in the wrong.

And exactly how would you take a chair "back" from someone sitting in it without force? Yelling at them or even threatening them verbally could result in the same thing - removal... do you really think that a grown man would allow you to "bully" him out of the chair? What is this, grade school time?

As I said, and will repeat, try it and find yourself screaming at a departing ship.

I didn’t realize this is just an issue that occurs only around the pool, I've seen many posts stating there not being loungers anywhere to be found and we are looking forward to spending some time on the Serenity deck.

We have been on nine Carnival cruises and have never not been able to find a chair. My wife and I would like to be poolside so we can cool off, but we'd rather enjoy a conflict free vacation, and thus simply walk around until we can find a pair of chairs together. It has never taken long; often, a couple gets up while we are walking by.

No worries - enjoy your vacation and honeymoon; life is definitely too short to sweat the small stuff.

Kevin C

You know, until I joined CC I had no idea it was bad form to put your beach bag or towel in a chair and then go jump in the pool.

I don't think that is bad form, nor is it chair hogging. Chair hogging is going to the pool at 7 am and filling ten chairs with personal odds and ends and then showing up at 10 am to take possession of two of the ten chairs. Seen it.

Kevin C

The problem is these new cruise ships are trying to squeeze more and more passengers onboard which is making it VERY crowded. I can count on one hand the number of times I have used a pool on the ship. Too crowded to mess with it.

The cruise lines should have attendents that help manage the use of pool chairs, the pool itself and hot tubs. :cool:

Yep, my DW and I are late sleepers. For example, today we woke up around 10:30am. Not bad for a couple in their mid 50's I'd say. I really feel for all you up at the break of dawn types....obvious type A personality. On our last cruise, aboard Carnival Liberty, we didn't leave our cabin until 11am at the earliest. By the time we went up on deck by 1-2pm or so, we had no problem securing a deck chair for the rest of the afternoon. The saving of chairs reminds me of the clowns at the amusement park waiting to get the first car on the roller coaster. You are on vacation....let your hair down and relax.

Hmmmm, does getting a chair by the pool make you special or something? Oh look at me I'm by the pool and I put my nose up at all of you that don't. So I'm coming down at 6am to place my towel and then go to the buffet and then I'll come back 3 hours later and expect my high class chair to still be mine! Just seems to me people feel like they are somebody by having that good chair and they feel they should get to keep it all day long.

This takes the cake in rudeness but, help me out, how do you know these are the same people who feel "entitled" to sleep in and still snag a chair? Yes your family was at the beach before them but what’s off the ship and what’s on the ship are two different attitudes (maybe they ate lunch first, went on an excursion even before you were at the beach, were at the beach 4 hours before you but decided to move up to the area your family was sitting because the sand was better, who knows). So I just don't see the correlation between the two. Is it now to the point that people are forced to get to the beach before the sun comes up to get a chair? Hurry up honey we have to get to the beach or we won’t get a spot near the ocean. It blows my mind that you can't sleep in on your vacation if you want to get a chair and some people think this is acceptable. If you get to the deck and there aren't any chairs because people are sitting in them or using them (i.e. in the pool, just went to the bathroom, getting a burger but still using them within the rules of the time limit) than that’s one thing but, if you sleep in and you can't get a chair because some hog decided to get up 2 hours before and put an orange down on a chair and a reserved sign on another or tie 4 chairs off with a robe and then went back to bed, then that’s pure crap. They’re the lazy inconsiderate people, not the family that got up at 10:00 because on their vacation they decided to sleep in. My wife and I are going in 3 weeks for our honeymoon (On the Dream) we have decided we are going to get up at 6:00 (hopefully this isn’t considered sleeping in) to make sure we get a chair because I don’t want to be forced to deal with people that are ultimately the ones who feel entitled to sleep in by marking a chair and going back to bed. So the hogs have already affected my cruise (by forcing me to get up extra early so we can get a chair). How is this fair to anyone? Sure it may not be as bad as the 40+ pages I’ve read about it here on CC, but we just want to have a great honeymoon/vacation like everyone else and not have to be forced to get up before the sun comes up for something a trivial as a lounge chair.

Actually I know they had recently stumbled out of bed because of the loud conversation that went along with moving chairs directly in front of us.

I think your rant was misdirected. Enjoy your honeymoon and sleep as late as you'd like. Like others have said there are plenty of chairs available. It just won't be in front of the pool (or the beach). But it's your honeymoon and don't let something as trivial as a lounge chair get you out of bed.

if the person has not been to chair in 15-30 minutes, i assume the things left on the chair are lost and turn them into the staff and chill in the chair. I've relaxed in chairs that were saved for 2 hours and no one ever came back and even asked. Unless your name is on the chair, it's for all cruisers.

The only time I use the pools is in port days when most others are off the ship. Any other time I just go sit elsewhere on deck. There are plenty of loungers elsewhere away from the noise of lido pool. Ive been ashore in most of the stops, so now I just stay on ship in most cases. As far as the "platinum" line goes. I just have my card out for others to see so they know why im in that line. When they get to 10 or more cruises then they can stand in that line. Usually I dont go to pursors desk anyhow, mabie 1 time on a 8 day cruise.

Carnival is the wall-mart of cruising and it attracts those types of people that arent "well educated" and such. Im sure some of you have seen the POWM site? Of course NOBODY that has posted on this forum is gulity of this chair problem.. Right?? I know im not.. I dont save chairs, except the one time in the theather front row, but I did let others sit next to me once it started filling up. I did it without the attitude. Most of time I dont go to the shows. After several cruises they are all the same thing anyhow.

Archived