Is the back of the ship okay if prone to seasickness?

yankeechick78

My parents are booked on the Gem. They were booked on deck 9 in the aft of the ship. Is that part of the ship prone to movement? They requested mid ship mid deck and this is where the travel agent booked them. They cannot contact him now since he's disappeared.

The Gem is a fairly good sized and modern ship. The combination of size and stabilizers can help a great deal. However, all ships are prone to movement, and the further you get away from the center of gravity of the ship, the more movement you will get. Upper decks at the front or rear of the ship will have significantly more movement than midship or lower decks.

If they are prone to seasickness and cannot reach the TA, maybe they can get some medication from their doctor prior to sailing. Ginger and bonine can also help a great deal.

On a related note, I'd be real worried if my TA just "disappeared". Most times when I hear that it's somebody that has run off with the deposits. I would check with NCL to make sure you actually have a reservation and that all the money you've paid so far has been sent to NCL. Also find out how to make final payment if you can't reach your TA then. Maybe see if you can switch the reservation to NCL.

Safe travels

Everyone has different opinions, we always choose AFT, not prone to seasickness, but I don't think our ride was much different than anyone else onboard. These are big Ships, not an expert but would think the ride would not be that different wherever you are located, remember you will be moving all over the Ship, eating, shows, etc. If its a rough ride you will feel rocky movement anywhere. Have sailed on the Gem AFT for two weeks, loved it!

I prefer aft, but I am not prone to sea-sickness. DH and DD#1 are, however. I had DD under control with Bonine, but DH didn't want to take any. By bedtime on our first night, he gave in. I am not sure if it was because we were aft or because of the wind which just made for a rockier than normal ride that first night. They were both able to give up the Bonine after about 72 hours.

You have heard a couple of recommendations for Bonine. If you can't find that locally, look for "Non Drowsy" Dramamine...it is chemically the same stuff (Meclizine). Take these kinds of meds before you feel queesy...I recommend taking one while you are waiting to board on the first day.

You have heard a couple of recommendations for Bonine. If you can't find that locally, look for "Non Drowsy" Dramamine...it is chemically the same stuff (Meclizine). Take these kinds of meds before you feel queesy...I recommend taking one while you are waiting to board on the first day.

Its also available online at Drugstore.com

I just love, love the aft of the ship. I have never got sick after four cruises. I have always taken the aft. I wear the sea bands around my wrists. We had one bad day last November after sailing away from the Bahamas and I drank a glass of ginger ale and was fine. Good luck!:)

My only seasickness in 8 cruises was my stern (aft) on the Sun the first morning. We had cruised out of Santiago if that makes any difference. My butler gave me a pill of some kind. After that one I never felt bad again.

On a prior cruise to Alaska I remember half of the pax were seasick. I was not and neither was my mother. I really don't know why some were and we weren't?

It is better to be prepared. I like other poster's suggeztion of bonine. Kind of like "seasickness insurance".

Depending where aft you are, I would attempt to move. The motion completely aft (overlooking the wake) is somewhat like a roll because you are moving up and down and left to right. I've been on 30 cruises and personally do not like the very back of the ship.

Is the cabin completely aft - meaning looking back at the wake? (I'd move.)

Is it aft on the side of the ship? That is manageable.

I know they booked thru an agent, but is it possible for a change of cabin by calling NCL because of the circumstances?

Kathy

We have cruised in all 3 sections. We were in the back of the ship 7 months ago and although we did find a "little" more movement than in the middle, it wasn't too bad at all for us.

Last month, we cruised in the front...and let's just say we will never pick the front again...and we are not prone to motion sickness but both my daughters ended up sick and I didn't feel the "greatest" but got over it quickly.

Also, it all depends on the weather as well.

We have been mid ship both cruises so far and both time the boat rocked for us. . our first cruise was really bad as I only used Dramamine. I was so sick all I did was sleep the whole time we were moving. Not sure if it was because we were on deck 1? second cruise I got those patches and It was so much better. Not sure if it was the patches or the fact we were on deck 6. I did find though that the boat rocked more in the aft, as the dining rooms were in the aft on both carnival ships. it really rocked during dinner.

I'm prone to seasickness and have successfully taken two cruises now without getting sick. I got a dr's prescription for the transderm patch (the patch that goes behind the ear.) It does come with some side effects, the only one I experienced was dry mouth. But dry mouth vs. puking.. I'll take the dry mouth any day. Bonine, Dramamine, the bracelets.. none of those work for me.

As far as whether the back of the ship is worse, I can't say since I always book midship for that reason. But on this last cruise, the only place I noticed any significant rocking was in the front of the ship.

Like the above poster I always try for a mid ship cabin as I'm definitely not the best of sailors! Recently on our Jade cruise the place I noticed the most movement was one lunchtime (was fairly choppy!) at the back in the Grand Pacific restaurant which is situated on Deck 7 Aft. I also use wrist bands and take the 'magic' pills as necessary. Very important though to take them before you start to really feel bad, as it's too late afterwards!! Also must say that the Jade was the best stabilised ship I've been on and I had vrtually no problems at all. Hope this helps :)

We have been mid ship both cruises so far and both time the boat rocked for us. . our first cruise was really bad as I only used Dramamine. I was so sick all I did was sleep the whole time we were moving. Not sure if it was because we were on deck 1? second cruise I got those patches and It was so much better. Not sure if it was the patches or the fact we were on deck 6. I did find though that the boat rocked more in the aft, as the dining rooms were in the aft on both carnival ships. it really rocked during dinner.

Just an FYI: The lower you are, the less movement there is. So there will always be more movement on Deck 6, for example, than there is on Deck 1. Other factors must have contributed to your feeling of less movement higher on the ship.

One chewable Bonine everyday (no side effects) it does not matter where you are...I have been doing it fort years.

this is risky advice to give. There certainly are side effects to any drug ingested. To just randomly claim there is none, - read the labels and look at the details. There are plenty of side effects and contraindications for taking this.http://www.drugs.com/sfx/bonine-side-effects.html

The only advice I give, is to consult your health care professional, who knows your history and can make informated recommendations.

Even with Bonine- there are several dosing/timing combinations that can be better depending on the person.

My take is that the aft isn't as susceptible to motion as the bow, but it's still not the as steady as the middle of the ship, particularly the upper decks. I'd try to get it changed if motion is a specific concern.

It is generally accepted that the least motion will be felt in a stateroom that is on a lower deck and close to midships. There are a number of ways to combat or prevent motion sickness, but some have possible side effects and not all of them are universally effective. To directly answer the OP's question, an aft cabin is definitely not the best location for anyone who is extremely prone to motion sickness. Better to move somewhere midships and be prepared to deal with any effects that might occur regardless of where their cabin is situated.

Look at the exact location of the room - is it in the aft section but close to the cutoff between aft and mid? Are they in the very back of the ship? I'm prone to seasickness/motionsickness and have cruised mid and aft and haven't really had any issues w/ motion being worse in my cabin than anywhere else on the ship. On my last cruise, we had an aft balcony (as in the ones overlooking the wake) and there was a little more vibration but not any more swaying than elsewhere on the ship. You'll feel the most movement forward. What makes a bigger difference for me is how rough the seas are overall. I also use the transdermal patch for which I get a prescription from my doctor. I don't always put it on right away - if seas are calm and my stomach isn't churning, I'll sail without it. If I get queasy, I put it on. Any of the other meds make me sleep, and the wristbands don't really cut if for me.

Aft (or forward) and high is the very worse place to be for motion and if you are prone to sea sickness, can be a nightmare.

While stabilizers can help, the stabilizers only help with the roll (side to side) and not with the pitch (up and down). The stabilizers can only be engaged while running above a certain speed so at slow speed, no stabilizers can be used.

If the OP's parents want the best location for avoiding seasickness, they should be as low as possible and in the middle of the ship.

Thanks for the responses everyone. They are trying to contact NCL, to change rooms, but only 2 people can handle their reservations, due to what happened with the travel agent and them being part of a group booking. So far they haven't gotten a phone call or an email back. I am very frustrated for them. The travel agent messed it up to begin with, he wrote middle deck, middle boat, but wrote the wrong code. And now he is god knows where.

Archived