does it pay to wait?

Hi all.

My husband and I are working with a travel agent for our upcoming cruise in October (EOS to Bermuda). We've budgeted for this trip. We are also about to embark on the lovely world of home renovation. My plan was to pay for the vacation in full, so that way it won't feel on top of us when we cover our renovation costs. I like crossing expenses off my list, and would like to be finished with this one.

Our TA suggested that we hold off in case the price drops. If it's going to mean a few hundred dollars, I think I can convince myself to hold on. But if it's not going to be that much, I think I'd rather cover the cruise, and focus on the next expense. It's not like we planned on the price dropping when we booked the vacation. We would appreciate your perspective.

pay off a lot of it and just hold off on the final final payment? i once had a price drop that allowed us to go from an inside to a superior ov on the monarch for $12 more pp. is a price drop guaranteed, or even highly likely? not really. but it's a possibility.

Even if you pay off the cruise, as long as it is before the final payment date set by RCI, you can take advantage of price drops. Just make sure that your TA will honor them--some do not.

Also, make sure that if you do pay off the cruise early that the TA pays it to RCI at that time and does not hold it.

Just back from Mariner. Our good friends...he waited on a price drop, and waited and waited and waited. Finally bought 5 days before the cruise...his wait got him a $400 increase.

There is NO hard and fast rule....If we all KNEW the guaranteed answer, we would begin trading in cruise cabin futures!

"He who heistates is lost"

Oh yeah, our last renovation? Plans called for $14,000. Final check brought total to $44,000. Go good luck with that!!!!

I would put the cruise money in a segregated account to pay it later.

But if, you wish, go ahead and pay all or most of it...the line should still be willing to give reductions/ refunds. Be sure any charges are made by the cruise line, not the travel agency, just incase the agency has a financial issue arise in the interim.

Our last three cruises were on Explorer booked just about a year ahead. The price went up, not down on our balcony cabins. I'd make sure your TA honors drops with no penalty & book now. If your TA doesn't honor price drops, get a new TA.

Put the money aside in another account. This way if you catch price drops (which may or may not happen, depends on how well the itinerary is selling) then only pay what you owe on final and enjoy all the extra money for foo-foo drinks, gambling etc.:D Like someone said, make sure what your TAs policy is on price drops etc. so you don't get surprised:eek:

I agree book now if you are happy with the current price...AND be sure your TA will honor price drops without penalty...then just tuck the money away until final payment...if the price goes down you have extra to spend onboard...if it does not go down your final pmt is still covered and you are good to go...if you don't trust yourself to not spend the money before final pmt then go ahead & pay now..."IF" there are any price drops they would be refunded back to your credit card...so you still win!:D

I always book early because I want to get the room and location I want.....then I leave it alone and not worry about price drops, etc.

I have what I wanted and that makes all the difference to us.

I pick up late booked Bermuida cruises and every year, they drop significantly after final payment. Oct. is late and not a good choice if you want beach activities. Last year, they ran the month of Sept and Oct at $299 on NCL. NOW, if you have to have a particular cabin, a balcony, book air, etc. Then "waiting" may not be for you. I have my time blocked out again this year, and I fully expect to pick up a below $500 Bermuda cruise- again.

Have you priced out the cruise recently? My parents are doing the EOS to Bermude route the last week in September and their price has dropped almost $300 a person since they first booked last summer. They've been able to get the price adjusted very easily (booked direct with RCL vs a TA).

They are paying less than $500/per person - I can't imagine it will drop any cheaper for the 7 night cruise (especially with bermuda's high taxes) but they are keeping their eye on any additional drops prior to final payment.

If the price is reasonable now, confirm what the TA's policy is with price drops (will they honor, do they check for you, will someone else be able to get the price drop if your TA is out, etc), then book and keep an eye on any drops.

You could wait to book after final payment but you risk an increase in price or no availability on the room type/location you'd want. You can also pay right away (again, make sure the TA is paying it to RCL and not holding on to it) and if the price drops prior to final payment you can get refunded or OBC.

If the price drops after final payment, you can ask to be upgraded to a different category, if that category is the same price you paid or cheaper. You won't get refunded any money or OBC though.

Booked the 9/23 ExOS Bermuda sailing for $409pp for an inside:) Stellar rate for a 7 night trip PLUS it's a savings certificate trip:D

That is the current price without taxes. Are taxes included in the above fare? Late bookings do go less than $400 without taxes.

I would think that even if you paid in full, you could cancel for a full refund before final payment date -- at least for USA passengers. True? If not true, then that might a reason to wait -- in case you want to cancel.

That is the current price without taxes. Are taxes included in the above fare? Late bookings do go less than $400 without taxes.

You are right - that is without taxes etc. We are all in (fare, port fees, taxes and gratuities minus the savings certificate) at $1198 for the two of us:D. Cheaper than a week at the beach PLUS I don't have to cook:D

Forget the cruise this year!! As a home re modeler, I would not want to spend on anything else till some walls have been opened, and you know what you are getting in to.

Or......is it a simple remodel, like the master bath........new tile, new sinks, new shower?

I'm in the middle of a $1.6 million remodel...........and I think it's going to be $1.9 before we are done!!:D

Oh, not my house.........I just do this for a living!!;)

Rick

Archived