wow. 8 and 3 year olds have to tip??

Traveller20074

People with kids require way more service than childless couples. In restaurants it means extra runs for refills on juice, more mess to clean up and under the tables, the chairs need to be wiped off. Trips to the back to bring crackers for little ones until the meal comes, another for crayons and paper etc... A trip to the kitchen to ask the chef if its OK to modify a meal off the menu so that nothing "green" is on the plate or if he'll cook a plain buttered pasta.(then I have to listen to the chef rant about the parents indulging their fussy kids and when he has kids they will eat what their given!) Parents usually drink less alcohol when with their kids so the check is less so the tip is smaller for way more work.

That is my own experiences as a dining room server.

As a parent on NCL with my 8 year old last year, wow he loved it, all the staff he can into contact with remembered his name, had him up on stage to do the happy dance when we won at bingo. It was service with a smile all round! Happy satisfied kids on a cruise makes happy mom thats for sure.

Sorry, but I roared and spitted my dinner on my mointer and yelled at my husband Where's the special monitor cleaner.

Come on OP!! you knew that - it's your 1,430 th post!! Are you trying to be a troll?

Damn, you beat me to it. I also noted that this was their 1,430 post and was about to comment on the same.

I've got a suggestion, let the kids stay home with say Grandma, Grandpa, or a relative and you'll save a "ship load" of money.

During our recent vacation, I had my 25 year old niece stay at our house to "house sit and take care of our dog". She works part time, so it was a nice break for her to get out of her parents house. This is what I provided to her: a house full of food, with extra special food bought that she specifically likes, extra $50 in cash for somethings I didn't have, use of our car, and $200.00 in cash after we returned for the services she provided to us in our absence.

All I'm saying is that in order to take a vacation is costs money, here, there and everywhere! It's all part of the price.:rolleyes:

We also glady paid the $12 DSC onboard and gave our room stewardess an extra nice "cash" gift. After all, we all know that these people work extremely hard and live separate and apart from their families for 8 months of the year. Our room stewardess has a husband back home who is raising their 3 yr old daughter with the help of her mother. Say no more!

OP, my daughters, their husbands and childern went on their first cruise this past January. They were surprised about the DSC and were going to asked if it could be reduced some. About midway through the cruise my middle daughter stated there was NO WAY she would ask for the DSC to be reduced. She said after the messes her kids made, (and sure they are about average) the room steward earned his money.:D

Fair?

When you dine out with your family do you deduct the cost of the children's meals from the cheque before calculating the gratuity?

Is it fair that you and your family are enjoying a very indulgent vacation on a boat designed to provide a very high level of service catered to your needs, and the room steward is working to support family back home in the Philippines, where he is unable to find work that pays a suffcient wage to sustain his family?

Of course not.

Life is not fair.

Pay up ; -)

You may think its too much for a child, but I think its too little for an adult! If I eat 3 meals at my local restaurant with my family of 5, I would spend about 15 - 20 each meal on tips. Right there is 45 - 60 dollars..and I have to pay for the meal too!!

Also consider the possibly babysitting/childrens activities you may use onboard for the older ones. I thought NO WAY before my trip with my 3 year old, but my sister convinced me to do it as her daughter would be there too. When I went to pick up my own daughter up after 45 minutes, she didnt want to leave. She spent at least 1 - 2 hours each day there for the remainder of the cruise. I enjoyed a show every night with hubby. The $12 was worth it just for that. At the end of the cruise I also gave a little more because they were so awesome, but you absolutely do not have to, they dont ask for it, they dont look at you funny, you dont even have to see them on the last day...so thats totally up to you. Im not sure where you live, but is driving to NY an option?

I think that poster implied Disney cruise line. I may be wrong.

OP, the daily service charge/tip is per person and certainly not unique to NCL.

Yikes. This is a hot topic for many. Prepare yourself.

Yea, she probably meant Disney cruise line, not Disneyland. I'm officially dumb. :D

Ok, for one thing, I AGREE THAT A CHARGE SHOULD BE IN EFFECT, ok??

I don't disagree with this! It should not BE a big deal in this thread, and it shouldn't be such a hot button topic. I already stated that I posted because between the airfare and cruise price I was in sticker shock. So...to repeat, I agree with the service charge. I agree that they should be compensated. I would NEVER think of stiffing them the charge, and will pay this.

Ok, now I checked the price for a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on Disney...this is what I found. Defintely makes me better about paying $5,000 for my Norwegian Gem cruise :D

The available cruises that match your selections are listed below. Click any cruise to see more details. Once you've selected a cruise, click "Continue." Or click "Change Your Search" to start a new search.

CURRENT SEARCH:

2 adults | 3 children | December 2012 | Caribbean

available cruises match your search

Results 1 of 1

Ok, now I checked the price for a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on Disney...this is what I found. Defintely makes me better about paying $5,000 for my Norwegian Gem cruise :D

Had to chuckle. Amazing what a little reality check can do for your attitude. I would be feeling pretty good about the original arrangements too! ; -)

I would stab myself in the eye with a rusty nail before I took kids aged 8, 3 and 18 months to Disneyland. You would need a week of rest afterwards.

What's wrong with taking them on a cruise and making some wonderful family memories?

I meant a Disney cruise.

I have no idea how so many parents can afford to bring their families on cruises and why anyone would assume it would be less than $3,000 for nine days for a family of four, especially when you have to fly. It's a luxury vacation.

The crew deserve every penny for cleaning up after a family and they are not nice to your children because they like them. They are hoping for a tip.

I don't disagree with this. I tip generously over and above the SC usually. This will involve a lot more money this time :)

Sorry, but I roared and spitted my dinner on my mointer and yelled at my husband Where's the special monitor cleaner.

Come on OP!! you knew that - it's your 1,430 th post!! Are you trying to be a troll?

Oh, sure. I'm a troll :rolleyes:

READ some of my past posts and you'll realize that's not true.

AGAIN, I was shocked at the total cost when i added it up, and posted.

For cryin out loud

I don't disagree with this. I tip generously over and above the SC usually. This will involve a lot more money this time :)

I know what you mean, we are going on a cruise next week and adding everything up it is a big expense. I have only one daughter and even though she is 23, I still pay for her vacation when she goes with us. :).

However, I just think of it as helping out the economy.

I posted because I was so shocked. Sorry to have started a war :o

I am paying $3,000 for the cruise for 9 days. Almost $2,000 airfare for 2 adults and 3 kids.

I am just in sticker shock and wondering if I might just leave them home. I can't afford all of that.

Yes, they use the bathroom. We don't make THAT much of a mess LOL

almost same boat here..

except we make sure we cruise close to home to avoid the airfare

i budget my life so i can save for my yearly cruise. drives my hubs nuts

So you're saying the prices aren't unreasonable... just you can't afford it?

That's a decision you have to make.

Personally, I pay $20 a day to have my dog taken care of while I'm away (thankfully there aren't two)!! ;)

We have two cats and one (large) dog, yep very expensive to have pets looked after, could always put the kids in kennels! Costs more though:eek:

I have no idea how so many parents can afford to bring their families on cruises and why anyone would assume it would be less than $3,000 for nine days for a family of four, especially when you have to fly. It's a luxury vacation.

our family is of 4, we doing the 9 day out of ny

$4000 just to get on the ship

have not even added in the DSC....the parking garage..or the boarding for the dog...let alone spending cash...

still hoping NCL offers the kids sail free again in may so i can rebook

The DSC is NOT a tip. It is a service charge. Your children use the same services as you. They drop food/crumbs, they use towels, bathe, use dishes, etc. Someone has to clean up after them and replenish the items that they use. The DSC pays their salaries. A tip is optional and should be paid out to the appropriate staff members when you feel the need to do so.

2k for airfare for 5 is a good deal btw.

$10,105 Sails Dec. 23, 2012 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Holiday Cruise on Disney Wonder

So... just to make sure, you are talking about sticker shock, on a CHRISTMAS cruise?! :rolleyes:

I think I those who are more irritated with your post, are thinking like me. So... you are spending $5000+ on a vacation, and an extra $216 dollars for the DSC for 2 kids is the worst thing about it? You are talking about a little over 4% of the money you are spending. Trust me, the staff will get more of a work out from your 18 month old than the older children! Would YOU want to deal with someone else's kid's dirty diapers and NOT get paid for it? How about the food that gets thrown on the floor they have to clean up?

It would be like me complaining about my kids DSC on an 11 day Sun cruise in a Suite... I am already spending more than your cruise + air fare on just the room itself w/o any DSC or other tips. I mean if at that point $216 is really gonna be so much I have to complain about it, I need to cancel the whole thing! I mean between now and your cruise, you are looking at $30 a month to the start of December.....

Archived