We're live on Brilliance TA - 4/29

gkm

We left Miami yesterday on a beautiful, spick-and-span ship that just got out of drydock. We are having a wonderful time and will answer any questions (that we can). We are in cabin 9256, a corner aft which is fabulous. We will be leaving shortly for our Cruise Critic party, but will be checking in as long as the satellite permits.

The only surprise we have found so far is the dining times. The main seating is at 5:30 and the late is at 8:00!:eek: WAY TO EARLY. But we're coping, especially since we're on 23 hour days right now.

Garry and Bob

Aaaccck! 5:30pm? Wonder if that is true across the board...we have early dinner seating on the Radiance in June...I tried and tried to convince my sis to get late seating, but she wouldn't hear of it. We'll have to eat breakfast at 5:30am to be ready for dinner at 5:30pm!!!

Amanda:eek:

Garry & Bob~

Thanks for the updates. Do you know what all was done while she was in dry dock? Any new patio furniture? I sure wish they would use larger tables for the cabins that have larger balconies. Trying to eat breakfast on those itsy, bitsy, short tables is near impossible.

My cruise date is not til March 2006 so I have to get my fix by reading every tidbit of info I can get on the Brilliance. Any info you furnish, will be a big treat.

Hope you trip is filled with the best of times.

We have cabin 9256 on the Serenade in November, would that cabin be the the same on the Brilliance. That will be our first aft cabin, our friends are in the cabin next to us. Are you able to have the dividers unlocked? We did that on other ships it was great we just went back and forth through the balcony door instead of going into the hall.

All the pix I have seen of Brilliance make we want to try her. We have done Voyager class ships recently but would like to do a Panama Canal trip and are looking specifically at Brilliance. Anxious to hear your thoughts on her. Right now, RCCL is showing nothing above JS available for the date we want to cruise and that is in 2006!

Pinkrosedeb~

There are some OS's available on the 3/27. Why don't you come & sail we us?

We already have a pretty active Roll Call, "Roll Call Brilliance of the Seas 3-27-06".

It will be my first time on the Brilliance and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope that Garry & Bob give us a great review.

Stevie

This is our first cruise on the Brilliance and have never been on the Serenade, so can make no comparisons. I'm disappointed that there are no lounge chairs on the aft balconies, as there's plenty of room for one or two. We've asked our cabin steward Jorge Hanson from Costa Rico for at least one, but didn't get a positive feedback about it. The tables are too small for eating--nice for a beverage, but that's about all.

We have really enjoyed the activities today, and the staff is enthusastic and fun. We've been kept busy with many choices from sillyness to good lectures being offered by the Academy at Sea (photography, health & wellness, beverages and entertainment). The trivia has been fun. Since this is our first full day here, there's still a lot to see.

We had our Cruise Critic party today and had a wonderful turnout--over 70 people. We had great fun getting to know each other, and I'm sure we're going to have interaction throughout the cruise.

From looking at the divider on our balcony, it doesn't look like it can be unlocked, but I'm no expert on what to look for.

Garry

Hello,

We have a little less than a month to go until our Mediterranean cruise on the Brilliance. I'd be interested in finding out what's being served each day in the dining room. I'm sure that it will probably be the same when we are on as well. I've also been searching for a recent Compass from the Brilliance, but have yet to find one online. What all activities are happening on board? Thanks for any tips that you can provide! Hope you enjoy the cruise!! :)

Emilie

We had cabin 9256 and 1604 it is a little bit of work for him to get them but he should do it for you. They brought us a extra one and when the steward got to our room he had worked up a sweat from carrying a couple of them. That is probably why he isn't getting you one.

Enjoy your cruise:D I will be on the Brillance again in June, can't wait.

Carrie

Emile, we're having the same activities that seem to be on every ship, but they're still fun. Morning and afternoon trivia, belly flop, sexy legs contest, bingo, cooking demos, art aution, etc. I haven't seen anything new.

Carrie, I talked to our cabin steward again, and though reluctant, said he would try, that he'd forgotten. We'll see.

Tonight is the toga party around the pool. Out here in the middle of the Atlantic the evenings are cool, so think we'll all need jackets to attend.

Garry

We were on the Mariner Inaugural in an aft balcony cabin and asked our room steward for lounge chairs for our very large balcony room and were told he couldn't get them for us. We mentioned to the concierge (we are diamond members) that we loved everything about the new ship and our spacious room but were disappointed that we didn't have lounge chairs on our balcony. She suggested that we speak to our room steward and when we told her that we had asked and were told no, she was almost speechless. Suffice it to say, the room steward delivered two lounge chairs that very day. :)

Garry,

Thanks so much for the reports on the Brilliance! How is the motion in the aft cabin? We usually have mid-ship balcony and motion is never a problem - I'm just wondering about the aft. Is the staff friendly and attentive, or any problems there?

enidgirl, we love the aft cabins. I can't say the motion is any more, just different. In the other cabins when the sea is rough and you're in bed, you sway from side to side. In an aft cabin its head to foot. I've never fallen out of bed in an aft.:D The verandas are larger but you will have a much longer walk to anywhere. For me that's good. I can use the walks to keep the martinis from going to my hips.;)

We are really enjoying the staff. They're fresh off of a break and very attentive and lively. They seem to be friends with each other and work well together.

Garry

Our CD is Bill Brunkhorst from Carlstadt, NJ. He's very good and personable. Jorge brought us two lounge chairs this morning and of course Murphy's Law is now in effect. It's a cool and very windy day, and even though the aft cabins block alot of the wind, it really feels too cool for a nap out there. I hope we didn't jinx the weather by getting the chairs.:eek:

So far the performers have been Tom Briscoe (we didn't see him), Judy Kolba (funny), and Antonio Salci who played the piano (and was great). Tonight the RCI Singers and Dancers perform. We're also having a sock hop later in the evening.

Garry

gkm-I have to laugh...with you...not at you!! Jorge was our cabin steward the end of March. My room was always neat and clean....however he always was implying how much he had done for us....but in actuality hadn't...we were in 9260! We would ask for a few things...very few...and every time...sooner or later he would say .... "remember I got those....for you!!"" everything alright! Looking for extra I guess!!! Man, I would hate to think what he expects to get for those lounge chairs!!!! Enjoy the Brilliance...our number one ship....have her again next March...also Christmas...but think we will cancel that one...

If you do the Schooner Bar any, tell Ray or Igor that Lou and Don and Jonathan and Roger are watching them!

Lou

Garry,

I'll be on the Brilliance the end of June. Can you tell us what exactly was done to her while in drydock? Do you know if it was simply cleaning her up? Are there signs of new carpet, furniture, etc? Were the cabins upgraded at all?

Would also be interested in how the food is in the dining room and Windjammer.

Can you tell us who the captain is? Of course, this could change come the end of June.

Thanks!

blastofftosj

We had 9256 and 9258 on Serenade last Oct., the dividers can't be open for you.:( But we did have two lounge chairs on each balconey without asking. Great rooms!

psygist, since this is our first time on the Brilliance, I have no comparison to go from. All of the carpets look fresh and I see no wear and tear. Same goes for the furniture. They may have just done a deep cleaning, but to me everything is in ship-shape condition.

The food in the dining room has been very g.ood. Since we also sail on Celebrity, I will say that I still think Celebrity has an edge on this, but the Windjammer is much better for casual dining. We have Lucille as our waitress and I'll say she's just about the best we've ever had. Every wish is filled and quickly--no waiting, and she anticipates what we will want and need.

The captain is Michael Lachtaridis and he has been very good at keeping us informed. We are in a period of rough weather now--high surf and relative winds that have reached 73 mph. A rocky day at sea but still fun!

Garry

psygist, since this is our first time on the Brilliance, I have no comparison to go from. All of the carpets look fresh and I see no wear and tear. Same goes for the furniture. They may have just done a deep cleaning, but to me everything is in ship-shape condition.

The food in the dining room has been very g.ood. Since we also sail on Celebrity, I will say that I still think Celebrity has an edge on this, but the Windjammer is much better for casual dining. We have Lucille as our waitress and I'll say she's just about the best we've ever had. Every wish is filled and quickly--no waiting, and she anticipates what we will want and need.

The captain is Michael Lachtaridis and he has been very good at keeping us informed. We are in a period of rough weather now--high surf and relative winds that have reached 73 mph. A rocky day at sea but still fun!

Garry

When and how long was the Brilliance in Dry Dock? I saw the video of the Radiance in Dry Dock and they re do alot. meadcher

Well, as Garry reported, a rather bumpy day here on the Brilliance yesterday with it getting much worse early this morning. Between 2 and 5 am, according to our Captain, we had sustained winds of 70 to 90 mph with frequent gusts in excess of 100 mph! What a ride. All pax have been asked to remain indoors for at least the remainder of the morning. The beauty of the high seas is really something to behold.

RRMan (Eddie) is right, we have really had rough ride and the Captain just announced that we will continue to have this weather through late tonight. Not only have we seen 103 mph wind (relative at 107), but the seas have been between 20-25 ft. We have now calmed down to 15-20 foot waves and a wind of 60 mph. Some activities have been brought indoors and others cancelled and the Captain has asked us to stay inside and for the ladies not to wear heels. I don't think anyone got much sleep last night, so a nap will feel good this afternoon!;)

Garry

Archived