Why purchase FCC and stock just for a small amount of credit?

divingmedic

I really do not understand why people choose to purchase a future cruise credit or buy Carnival stock just to get a few dollars in OBC. Does not make financial sense to me. Why give a company your money in advance for them to use and not put the money to work for yourself? Pay $200.00 for a FCC, later get $100 in OBC and $100 off the price of the cruise. If you take your $200 and put into a interest bearing account you would come out a head.

Also why purchase 100 shares of stock and have it take 10 cruises or more to break even??

Every investment adviser tells you that purchasing singles stocks is not a wise investment scheme.

I really do not understand why people choose to purchase a future cruise credit or buy Carnival stock just to get a few dollars in OBC. Does not make financial sense to me. Why give a company your money in advance for them to use and not put the money to work for yourself? Pay $200.00 for a FCC, later get $100 in OBC and $100 off the price of the cruise. If you take your $200 and put into a interest bearing account you would come out a head.

Also why purchase 100 shares of stock and have it take 10 cruises or more to break even??

Every investment adviser tells you that purchasing singles stocks is not a wise investment scheme.

You pay $100 for a FCC and you get the $100 back off the cruise price and the $100 OBC. As for the stock, you should only buy the stock for investment purposes. The OBC for owning 100 or more shares is a nice bonus. I purchased CCL stock for an investment and the dividends.

I think the two are pretty different. Not sure the stock is "worth" it for many...and it is a much larger investment

However, paying $100 that will be used towards paying off the next cruise and getting $100 back is great IMHO>> especially if , like me, one lives near ports, cruises a lot and plans to cruise.

I "stratigize" it so that I use the cert on the next cruise I book. I am actually not booked on Freedom yet (but due to group have room for me haha)....so I use my cert on Spirit...buy cert...use on Freedom...

plan to buy a cert on Freedom to use for Glory ($50 there cause it a one time 3 nighter)...will buy a cert on Glory

NOW>>> for people who may or may not cruise in 2 years...or may only cruise once every few years and not always with Carnival it may not be such a great deal. But I don't think I could :double my money: between my May cruise and my Sept cruise by putting 100 bucks in any bank. Thanks

FCC costs $100. You get $100 OBC and $100 off final payment. No brainer if you are planning on cruising in the next two years.

$200 in an interest bearing account at 1 or 2% will get you four bucks tops.

I made a lot of money investing in single stocks - you have to do your homework.

I don't think you understand how FCC's work. You pay $100....which gets applied to your next cruise PLUS $100 OBC. So you pay $100 to get $200 (as long as you know you'll use it).

I agree with you on the stock though. I hold some because I got a great deal on it several years ago, but would never buy just for the OBC benefit, there are much better stocks out there than CCL at it's current price.

now if you bought a stock rccl or ccl or $3.00 then the $100.00 o.b.c is a pretty nice thing, and if you cruise 3-4 times a year well it's all in how you look at it :)

It's all about the price. Some people don't understand that. It's not that you 'like' a stock or 'hate' a stock, it just depends on the price. I bought CCL at $16 and change....I liked the stock at that price. At it's current price, I would not buy. Doesn't mean I hate the stock, I just think it's overpriced.

where do you put your money to work for you that you would make more than $100 back in 2 years?

Bill

please tell me what possible "interest bearing accounts" exist that pays you 100% interest.

The majority of savings account pay around 1/4 to 1/2% interest. So you may make a whopping 2 pennies by the time you sail, unless you sit on it for a long time before deciding to cruise.

So for people who cruise alot like my wife and I...we don't have the CCL stock, don't see a need as I can invest elsewhere for a larger ROI. Now FCC, that is free money. Pay $100 up front, then when you book your next cruise, not only do you get the $100 back (they take it off the price of your cruise when you redeem it AFTER you book the cruise), but you also get $100 in OBC. Therefore you have doubled your money...and as long as you cruise within three years of purchase, there is ZERO risk. Show me another investment where you can do that...with no risk.....

Every investment adviser tells you that purchasing singles stocks is not a wise investment scheme.[/quote]

That's only true if you are a casual investor.

I hold several mutual funds that bring me 8% or better return.

okay, so your $200 investment has only netted you $16 (not including any possible costs for buying $200 worth). If you hold it 2 years, then $32.

$16($32) or $100? which is better

I hold several mutual funds that bring me 8% or better return.

Ok so I bought a FCC on my March cruise, come home and booked a May cruise, they took $100 off my May cruise and I will have $100 in OBC which i =200. Does your mutual fund do that in 2 months at 8%?

where do you put your money to work for you that you would make more than $100 back in 2 years?

Bill

Try a low p/e, high yield commod stock. I have had much luck with BP. That'll average you around 7% not counting any market increase....so that would net you about $225 a year if you invested the same amount as buying 100 shares of CCL. (the difference being is is a much better stock, with more growth and upside to the equity)

btw, the $100 OBC is on 7 to 11 day cruises. 5 days you get $50 OBC, 6 days $75 obc, .. up to $200 OBC for 12 days or longer.

I see a bunch of posts all saying you get $100 OBC. I do quite a few 5 days, so its $50 OBC for me. still worth it for free money.

Ok as other posters have posted the FCC is only 100.00 which is credited back towards a future cruise and the obc is free. Lots of people who purchase them, use them within a short period of time. so I'm a little unsure what type of account brings that much Interest in such a short time.

And people invest money LOTS in stocks in a large variety of companies here the only thing is they actually benefit more than just interest gained on the Stocks they have purchased.

Here carnival believes in rewarding customers who see their company as a financial investment by giving obc to them as pretty much a way of saying thank you. If you buy 100 stocks of cocacola, next time you go to the supermarket do you think the clerk is gonna give you one for free?

Lastly why are you so concerned with how everyone else wants to spend/save or blow their money?

If you think it's a waste so be it. That's you, nobody is worrying where you invest your money. IMHO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I bought a FCC on my March cruise, come home and booked a May cruise, they took $100 off my May cruise and I will have $100 in OBC which i =200. Does your mutual fund do that in 2 months at 8%?

So you booked a 7 day??

Getting back the $100 you paid is a 0% return .. I dont count it that they take $100 off a cruise, because I paid $100 for the FCC as a return.

Must be my MBA talking.

Shoot, I just bought the stock to get the OBC and it's not a bad investment. Plus you get a decent dividend. So now for every cruise I take I'll have $200 additional cash in my pocket (7 nighters FCC+stock). There is no limit on the times you get the OBC on the stock. So if you cruise 2-3 times a year where can $3000 investment get you that type of return?

You say: Also why purchase 100 shares of stock and have it take 10 cruises or more to break even??

It does not take 10 cruises to "break even". The OBC is gravy, you still have your investment plus the value of the OBC. If you paid $3000 for the stock at $30 and went on 10 cruises earning $1000, and the stock doesn't decline, you're at $4000, plus the dividends!

Your definition of "a few dollars" is quite a bit different from mine!

I always use mine in 6 to 12 months so it's doubling my money, does your bank do that..Also I'm retired so I cruise very often and bought CCL stock when it was down and have recovered half of my investment...My finailcial guy told me it was a smart investment if I cruised as much as we do....I'm going to receive $450 in OBC for my cruise on the Spirit going to Australia, that will pay for our tips and have money left..Dennis

I just bought two FCC's on my March cruise and I have already used them on long cruises so that is $200 oboard credit for each cruise for a total of $400 in onboard credits. A nice return on my $200 investment if you ask me.

Ok as other posters have posted the FCC is only 100.00 which is credited back towards a future cruise and the obc is free. Lots of people who purchase them, use them within a short period of time. so I'm a little unsure what type of account brings that much Interest in such a short time.

And people invest money LOTS in stocks in a large variety of companies here the only thing is they actually benefit more than just interest gained on the Stocks they have purchased.

Here carnival believes in rewarding customers who see their company as a financial investment by giving obc to them as pretty much a way of saying thank you. If you buy 100 stocks of cocacola, next time you go to the supermarket do you think the clerk is gonna give you one for free?

Lastly why are you so concerned with how everyone else wants to spend/save or blow their money?

If you think it's a waste so be it. That's you, nobody is worrying where you invest your money. IMHO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. But Coke gives me large amount of cash dividends and growth that I can use to buy whatever I want;)

The FCCs are a good deal if you are cruise frequently, as said above, 100% return isn't something my bank gives me.

If the stock was bought a few years ago when it was low, it was a great investment if you cruise frequently and use the shareholder benefit, as well as paying dividends. I would agree though, that it isn't a good buy currently. For some of us, we've more than doubled our money plus receive OBC. Timing is everything.

Archived